Rutledge Wood

JohnMatrix
3/18/2021 8:27am
Trickamoto wrote:
My respect for DV just went through the roof. Best pulp guest ever.
Dude, completely. His take on the sport and our fanbase is 100% right in my opinion. I also like how he called out Rutledge on responding to the negative feedback from fans.
ratbeagle139
Fantasy
3080th
3/18/2021 8:49am Edited Date/Time 3/19/2021 7:04am
Glad he came on Pulp and showed what a condescending little prick he is, easy to see now that he deserves 100% of the hate he's been getting.
Dude's sure to have a ball when he joins backup with our "retarded redneck" fans in ATL...LaughingLaughingLaughing
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
3/18/2021 8:51am
I purposely have been watching the recorded peacocktv playbacks so I skip everything other than the heats and final races.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
3/18/2021 8:56am
Logan_724 wrote:
Oh my.. just getting to listen to the pulp show😂😂 biggest shit show ever un pulp?🤣🤣
Worse than the Swap/Ride Engineering shit show? Lol

The Shop

Logan_724
3/18/2021 9:03am
Logan_724 wrote:
Oh my.. just getting to listen to the pulp show😂😂 biggest shit show ever un pulp?🤣🤣
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Worse than the Swap/Ride Engineering shit show? Lol
Ehhhh theyre 1 and 2. Maybe 1a and 1B??
peltier626
3/18/2021 9:05am
Just listened to the podcast. Didn't care for Rutledge's appearances on SX before, but after listening to this he needs to be completely removed from the program and no longer be affiliated with any motorcycle programs. This dude is so full of himself and knows nothing about the topic he's trying to argue about. It's embarrassing.
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
3/18/2021 9:16am
peltier626 wrote:
Just listened to the podcast. Didn't care for Rutledge's appearances on SX before, but after listening to this he needs to be completely removed from the...
Just listened to the podcast. Didn't care for Rutledge's appearances on SX before, but after listening to this he needs to be completely removed from the program and no longer be affiliated with any motorcycle programs. This dude is so full of himself and knows nothing about the topic he's trying to argue about. It's embarrassing.
"I've been friends with Mcgrath for 10 years, I know more about the sport than people think!"

45 seconds later:
"Who was that guy who crashed in the whoops and hit his head...?"
"...Cooper Webb?"
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
3/18/2021 9:16am
peltier626 wrote:
Just listened to the podcast. Didn't care for Rutledge's appearances on SX before, but after listening to this he needs to be completely removed from the...
Yeah, but what if you're wrong. 🙄
ShawdowGlen
3/18/2021 9:23am
The producers are freaking brain-dead if they put this piece of shit back on the show after insulting the fans like he did.

NEVER alienate your base.

twotwosix
3/18/2021 9:25am Edited Date/Time 3/18/2021 9:26am
Supercross is more in line with IMSA/WEC Sports Car racing, F1 and MotoGP than Nascar or NHRA or Monster Jam.

We need to be working to connect the dots to those sports rather than the redneck sports. Part of the reason I'm such a huge Leigh Diffey fan. (I'm from TN and I'm a bit of a redneck so don't get butthurt.)

On a completely different note, you know what sport LOVES Moto and I didn't really realized it until recently?
Mountain Biking. The mountain bike guys love Dirt Bikes. Big time. The top guys all love riding dirt bikes and pit bikes.
WDSRCR
3/18/2021 9:28am
I hadn't given the dude much thought after seeing his stupid spots on the broadcast until yesterday when I started seeing him reply to people on Twitter or IG. He is a typical representation of the Pretentious Millennial Know-It-All (Not ALL are this way!!). I typically give most people the benefit of the doubt if we have common interests but some of his replies online and in that interview last night proves the kind of person he is and I hope NBC will see that he doesn't "fit" with this sport.

I 100% agree with DV and his opinions. That guy knows a TON and if not for his inability or lack of interest to explain himself in a manner that more people understand, he could be one of the best consultants FELD, NBC, AMA, or anyone could bring in to enhance MX/SX.
Moto Nomad
3/18/2021 9:30am
Y'all worry too much about stupid shit. You don't like him because he doesn't try to be a cool guy. Wood obviously respects the athletes and the only people he called out was the haters, not fans overall. Matthes got a lot of similar crap when he started out.
WDSRCR
3/18/2021 9:31am
twotwosix wrote:
Supercross is more in line with IMSA/WEC Sports Car racing, F1 and MotoGP than Nascar or NHRA or Monster Jam. We need to be working to...
Supercross is more in line with IMSA/WEC Sports Car racing, F1 and MotoGP than Nascar or NHRA or Monster Jam.

We need to be working to connect the dots to those sports rather than the redneck sports. Part of the reason I'm such a huge Leigh Diffey fan. (I'm from TN and I'm a bit of a redneck so don't get butthurt.)

On a completely different note, you know what sport LOVES Moto and I didn't really realized it until recently?
Mountain Biking. The mountain bike guys love Dirt Bikes. Big time. The top guys all love riding dirt bikes and pit bikes.
I know more than a few MTBers who DO love Moto but I know a lot more who are more "elitist" and liberal and hate moto and the people "destroying trails" that MTBers could be using.
Moto520
3/18/2021 9:34am Edited Date/Time 3/18/2021 9:39am
Meh....i'm not a fan. DV is the man and was hilarious as he kept calling this guy out. He seems like he's supposed to be the "everyman's announcer" or whatever....the guy that's in tune with the everyday fan. I don't think we need this guy. I didn't even know what a Rutlege Wood was until he called in to Pulp and COMPLETELY MISSED THE MARK on what we are looking for as fans. We all ride.
rallendude
3/18/2021 9:35am Edited Date/Time 3/18/2021 9:42am
Again, there are no casual fans of MX/SX. DV nailed it. We want to see the racing. We want to see the crashes played back at full speed and in slow-mo. We want to know if the crashers are hurt. We want to see every pass inside the top ten. We want the races live. We want to hear the noise and the crowd. We want someone in the announcer's booth that knows as much as us but is as big a fan as we are. We are nationalistic, like it or not. If there is an American that announces/pit reports/color analyses as good as someone with a different accent, we want them. We want to see the bikes. We want to see what they have that we don't, so we can go get that part.

Rutledge has no place here. It doesn't matter to me that he sees himself above the sport, even though he wears flannel and jeans. Oh, someone let him in on the fact that Top Gear America was crap compared to the UK version with Jeremy, Richard, and James.

Edit: PS - Most disappointing part of listening to his segment of the podcast.......Learning he grew up in Alabama.
JB500
3/18/2021 9:37am
peltier626 wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Yeah, but what if you're wrong. 🙄
BAHAHAHA!!!! I was just about to post this!!!!!
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
3/18/2021 9:37am
Moto520 wrote:
Meh....i'm not a fan. DV is the man and was hilarious as he kept calling this guy out. He seems like he's supposed to be the...
Meh....i'm not a fan. DV is the man and was hilarious as he kept calling this guy out. He seems like he's supposed to be the "everyman's announcer" or whatever....the guy that's in tune with the everyday fan. I don't think we need this guy. I didn't even know what a Rutlege Wood was until he called in to Pulp and COMPLETELY MISSED THE MARK on what we are looking for as fans. We all ride.
We don't. He adds absolutely no value to the broadcast. None!
Rupert X
3/18/2021 9:42am
Such a bummer we don’t have a throng of well informed, eloquent, unemployed ex motocross and Supercross professionals to assist, let us a find a common buffoon to present our sport...
DF313
Fantasy
2455th
3/18/2021 9:43am
here's your tl;dr summarized by DV

hamncheeze
3/18/2021 9:43am
I listened live last night, but I just re-listened to the Rutledge segment again. Last night I was of the mindset to give him a chance to represent himself and I really did my best to not judge him as purely a motocross fan. But after listening again this morning, man I have to agree, he really came off as a spoiled, entitled funboy who really just needs to be in the stands at a SX race as a fan, and not on the broadcast.

However, as much as we want to hammer on Rutledge, the blame pie for him ending up on the broadcast is split equally between Feld and NBC. Both parties seem so desperate to try to grow Supercross by connecting it to other sports and celebrity and this has been the case historically for years (NASCAR mostly). And thinking about I just keep coming back to DV's main point that the sport is what it is. People are not just "discovering Supercross as they cruise the channels". In today's world, anyone under the age of 35 is never cruising the channels as they have cut the cord already. So either they already know about the sport and they are into it, or they don't give a shit.

So with that in mind, how does NBC/Feld grow the viewership? Again I really think DV nails it with providing free access. Yes, someone has to pay for that but it seems to me that if the sport ended up with 1 million viewers on YouTube it could be sold to sponsors outside the sport much easier than this weirdo protectionist/cannibal model it exists in right now. By that I mean Feld goes to great lengths to protect its associations (Toyota, GoPro, etc) but then when a team is able to bring in a sponsor they have no problem jumping in to negotiate a deal for themselves (see Reed with Discount Tire and CBDmd). This model pretty much guarantees the sport stays where it is, which is OK by me but if so then let's stop trying to make it something it can't be.

Anyone see the top of this rabbithole I'm stuck in??
Kyle978
3/18/2021 9:46am
That was a shockingly bad look for ol’ Wood.

I just wrote him off as a misdirected dork on the broadcast and pin pointed it on NBC, but turns out he’s a condescending super dork.

That was hard to listen to.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
3/18/2021 9:51am
twotwosix wrote:
Supercross is more in line with IMSA/WEC Sports Car racing, F1 and MotoGP than Nascar or NHRA or Monster Jam. We need to be working to...

WDSRCR wrote:
I know more than a few MTBers who DO love Moto but I know a lot more who are more "elitist" and liberal and hate moto...
I know more than a few MTBers who DO love Moto but I know a lot more who are more "elitist" and liberal and hate moto and the people "destroying trails" that MTBers could be using.
Yup. Especially in California. Granted a lot of my moto friends ride MTB's, but they make up a small amount of the MTB community.
dkurtd
3/18/2021 10:00am
I'm with DV, when Rutledge comes on I go to the bathroom.
RonJon
3/18/2021 10:04am
If his 5 minutes of airtime causes you all that much anguish just go take a dump or something while he is on. He hit it on the head, a bunch of insecure old men who never made it on a dirtbike who think they know more than everyone else are the only ones who seem to have a problem with him.
twotwosix
3/18/2021 10:07am
twotwosix wrote:

WDSRCR wrote:
I know more than a few MTBers who DO love Moto but I know a lot more who are more "elitist" and liberal and hate moto...
I just watched Aaron Gwin, Luca Shaw, Neko Mullaly and other Pros ride pit bikes in a neighborhood backyard for 2 hours straight the other day right before the Round 1 of the USA Cycling Downhill series at the TN National. They all watch Supercross on Saturday nights too. I'm telling you there are a TON of mountain bike guys who love Dirt Bikes.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
3/18/2021 10:13am
RonJon wrote:
If his 5 minutes of airtime causes you all that much anguish just go take a dump or something while he is on. He hit it...
If his 5 minutes of airtime causes you all that much anguish just go take a dump or something while he is on. He hit it on the head, a bunch of insecure old men who never made it on a dirtbike who think they know more than everyone else are the only ones who seem to have a problem with him.
Found the casual viewer he caters to.
greenmx5
3/18/2021 10:18am
DV should've asked him if he knows so much about motorsports, why did his sign board to the 16th place guy in the LCQ said "good job."
tickleme20
3/18/2021 10:18am
hamncheeze wrote:
I listened live last night, but I just re-listened to the Rutledge segment again. Last night I was of the mindset to give him a chance...
I listened live last night, but I just re-listened to the Rutledge segment again. Last night I was of the mindset to give him a chance to represent himself and I really did my best to not judge him as purely a motocross fan. But after listening again this morning, man I have to agree, he really came off as a spoiled, entitled funboy who really just needs to be in the stands at a SX race as a fan, and not on the broadcast.

However, as much as we want to hammer on Rutledge, the blame pie for him ending up on the broadcast is split equally between Feld and NBC. Both parties seem so desperate to try to grow Supercross by connecting it to other sports and celebrity and this has been the case historically for years (NASCAR mostly). And thinking about I just keep coming back to DV's main point that the sport is what it is. People are not just "discovering Supercross as they cruise the channels". In today's world, anyone under the age of 35 is never cruising the channels as they have cut the cord already. So either they already know about the sport and they are into it, or they don't give a shit.

So with that in mind, how does NBC/Feld grow the viewership? Again I really think DV nails it with providing free access. Yes, someone has to pay for that but it seems to me that if the sport ended up with 1 million viewers on YouTube it could be sold to sponsors outside the sport much easier than this weirdo protectionist/cannibal model it exists in right now. By that I mean Feld goes to great lengths to protect its associations (Toyota, GoPro, etc) but then when a team is able to bring in a sponsor they have no problem jumping in to negotiate a deal for themselves (see Reed with Discount Tire and CBDmd). This model pretty much guarantees the sport stays where it is, which is OK by me but if so then let's stop trying to make it something it can't be.

Anyone see the top of this rabbithole I'm stuck in??
Yeah...this also points to some pretty scary implications for the sport.

There's an unspoken ultimatum at play here. NBC wants the broadcast to be profitable. If it is not, it gets axed.

Keeping the sport "niche" is what we like, but it certainly isn't what advertisers, sponsors, or the network want. Like it or not, the sport NEEDS that money.

If NBC throws up their hands, says "fuck it" and dumps SX, a lot of money will be lost.

That said, Rutledge is DEFINITELY not the answer. As I and others have repeatedly stated, it's the Stews, the McGraths, the RC's that keep people tuned in. The broadcast needs to focus on the guys on the track, on making stars and household names out of them. Yeah, Ralph's constant "BUT WHERE'S ELI TOMAC?!?" every damn week was annoying, but guess what? Eli was THE star, and HE is why lots of people tuned in to begin with.

Post a reply to: Rutledge Wood

The Latest