Rubber pads on SG12s?

Edited Date/Time 2/11/2021 10:14am
So are the rubber pads on the inside ankle replaceable? And if so, how?

Boots are about 5 yrs old so it's not poor quality.

|
Roostermx58
2/10/2021 12:41pm
You would have a hard time replacing just the rubber pads. They do make the wishbone part that can be replaced. I actually did a youtube video on how to do it.
2/10/2021 8:23pm
Thanks for the links, I didn't know they sold the wishbones. Unfortunately they are out of the right side that I need, and the web site doesn't show the inner side to see if it has the rubber attached.

I have bought the rubber grip pads before for some SG 10s but couldn't find a glue or an adhesive that would hold them on.

Thanks for the video Rooster, you did a nice job on that,,maybe I'll be able to use it.

The Shop

mwilcox349
Fantasy
83rd
2/10/2021 9:38pm Edited Date/Time 2/10/2021 9:38pm
Good luck. I tried several different ways putting new 'grip guards' on by reccomendation of Gaerne, none worked. I'd put new ones on, they'd be gone first ride. Lost somewhere on the track. Simply replacing the wishbone won't work since those black gaurds go over where you have to access one of the screws to install the wishbone. Then the grip guard goes over that. Best bet in the US is pro-boot in MN. That's also basically your only real choice. I wasn't impressed with my experience. But got my soles on my boots done at the time.
mtl
2/10/2021 10:47pm
I'm a big Gaerne guy (nothing but Gaernes since 2010), but if you're boots are that worn out maybe think about if they are still providing adequate ankle support and overall protection?
maz436
2/10/2021 11:40pm
I had the same issue on my SG12’s so got a new set of wishbones just like Rooster has shown in a post above.
Was hard to get two of the screws out but well worth persevering.
Mine are the same color as yours but those wishbones weren't available so I got a set of black wishbones and am happy with the look.
Roostermx58
2/11/2021 10:13am
Thanks for the links, I didn't know they sold the wishbones. Unfortunately they are out of the right side that I need, and the web site...
Thanks for the links, I didn't know they sold the wishbones. Unfortunately they are out of the right side that I need, and the web site doesn't show the inner side to see if it has the rubber attached.

I have bought the rubber grip pads before for some SG 10s but couldn't find a glue or an adhesive that would hold them on.

Thanks for the video Rooster, you did a nice job on that,,maybe I'll be able to use it.

If you need new wishbones, please send an email. I have a couple of sets in stock.

info.mxboots@gmail.com

Thanks!
Roostermx58
2/11/2021 10:20am
maz436 wrote:
I had the same issue on my SG12’s so got a new set of wishbones just like Rooster has shown in a post above. Was hard...
I had the same issue on my SG12’s so got a new set of wishbones just like Rooster has shown in a post above.
Was hard to get two of the screws out but well worth persevering.
Mine are the same color as yours but those wishbones weren't available so I got a set of black wishbones and am happy with the look.
Yes, getting some of the screws loose is a pain. I should have shown it better in my video, but they are all loctited. In order to break the Loctite, I took some heat (I used a soldering iron) to the screw to break it loose. Make sure all the receiving threads are clean of the old Loctite before putting the new wishbones on.

Also, the new wishbones that have the screws are already pre-loctited. I took a wire brush to remove this Loctite so the threads are clean. I applied my own liquid Loctite so the screws would go in where they are supposed to be before turning the backstop around the ankle.

Let me know if you have any questions and I will help as best as possible!

Post a reply to: Rubber pads on SG12s?

The Latest