Rotax

Related:
Create New Tag

5/29/2018 2:45 PM

What ever happened to these guys in moto?

They are still in the Ultralight world.

Photo

|

5/29/2018 2:51 PM

They make engines for Bombardier (Can-Am, Ski-Doo...). Actually I'm pretty sure they are owned by them.

|

5/29/2018 2:54 PM

Sheriff245 wrote:

They make engines for Bombardier (Can-Am, Ski-Doo...). Actually I'm pretty sure they are owned by them.

Ahh, they were ATK also?

|

5/29/2018 2:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/29/2018 2:58 PM

Yep. Got one in my 4x4 can-am atv. Thing rips for a 500 work atv. (I know I know qauds are lame)

|

"Shifting gears and passing queers" GL

5/29/2018 3:02 PM

JOE_SPROCKETS#1 wrote:

Yep. Got one in my 4x4 can-am atv. Thing rips for a 500 work atv. (I know I know qauds are lame)

Not lame at all if you use it for work. If you like to unload and spin donuts in the pits....throwing dust and gravel everywhere...Yep, lame.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

5/29/2018 3:08 PM

Rotax are the largest small engine builder in the world. The stuff they build for ski doo, Sea doo, Can Am, and Evinrude is amazing. I would be really cool to see e-tec two stroke tech make it to the moto world.

|

5/29/2018 3:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/29/2018 3:16 PM

They were making typical two-stroke race engines in the late 90's. Some company came up with a rolling chassis for quad racing, threw in a Rotax 250cc engine, and called it the Rebel Star. I don't know if they actually ever sold any, but the Rotax connection is cool.

Photo Photo Photo

|

5/29/2018 3:12 PM

Think they are big in snow mobiles also.

|

"Shifting gears and passing queers" GL

5/29/2018 6:14 PM

Bombardier bought Rotax back in 1970. They build some of if not the cleanest burning two stroke engines on the market today. They've also built unbranded engines for other manufacturers in the past.

Several years ago I heard they were testing a dirt bike somewhere in Quebec but that's gone silent. Whether that's true or not I'm not sure but I could see them getting back in the motorcycle game.

I started a thread on them last year. You can check it out Here.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

5/30/2018 10:07 AM

I remember back in the day a company named tiger used them for 3 and 4 wheelers. One was a 500 that was apparently pretty scary.

|

5/30/2018 10:16 AM

Ski-Doo (BRP) bought E-tec technology from evinrude/johnson back in the early 2000's. cleanest 2-stroke tech to date i believe.

2 stroke tech is still going strong in the snowmobile industry...the big 3 (polaris, arctic cat and ski-doo) all have direct injection technology now and are very similar.

ski-doo (rotax) = etec
polaris = clean fire
arctic = C-tec2

|

5/30/2018 10:29 AM

dboivin wrote:

Ski-Doo (BRP) bought E-tec technology from evinrude/johnson back in the early 2000's. cleanest 2-stroke tech to date i believe.

2 stroke tech is still going strong in the snowmobile industry...the big 3 (polaris, arctic cat and ski-doo) all have direct injection technology now and are very similar.

ski-doo (rotax) = etec
polaris = clean fire
arctic = C-tec2

Where's the guy that knows everything about snowmobiles?

|

5/30/2018 10:59 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Bombardier bought Rotax back in 1970. They build some of if not the cleanest burning two stroke engines on the market today. They've also built unbranded engines for other manufacturers in the past.

Several years ago I heard they were testing a dirt bike somewhere in Quebec but that's gone silent. Whether that's true or not I'm not sure but I could see them getting back in the motorcycle game.

I started a thread on them last year. You can check it out Here.

My brother was a salesman for BRP for a long time and he mentioned the same thing years ago....then suddenly it got shelved

|

kcco

5/30/2018 11:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/30/2018 11:07 AM

|

5/30/2018 11:10 AM

Not until that long ago, they made a 650cc single and 800cc twin for BMW adventure bikes.

|

man who runs in front of bus gets tired. man who runs behind bus gets exhausted

5/30/2018 11:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/30/2018 11:43 AM

The 850 2-stroke twin they build for the sleds is a monster. 165 HP. Absolutely ridiculous to ride. They also have a 4-stroke triple 900 making 172 for side by sides. And a 1600 supercharged triple for their Sea-Doos, those things are unbelievable at 300hp

|

Washed up Canadian ex-pro couch racer. Selling bikes for a living

2008 KTM 525XC
2009 KTM 450SX
2016 YFZ450R


5/30/2018 11:50 AM

bh84 wrote:

The 850 2-stroke twin they build for the sleds is a monster. 165 HP. Absolutely ridiculous to ride. They also have a 4-stroke triple 900 making 172 for side by sides. And a 1600 supercharged triple for their Sea-Doos, those things are unbelievable at 300hp

Ive got one of the "tame" 800 Etecs wink I'll be moving on to an 850 next year. My 800 amazes me.

|

5/30/2018 1:09 PM

bh84 wrote:

The 850 2-stroke twin they build for the sleds is a monster. 165 HP. Absolutely ridiculous to ride. They also have a 4-stroke triple 900 making 172 for side by sides. And a 1600 supercharged triple for their Sea-Doos, those things are unbelievable at 300hp

motomike137 wrote:

Ive got one of the "tame" 800 Etecs wink I'll be moving on to an 850 next year. My 800 amazes me.

The 850 makes the 800 feel like a 600.

|

Washed up Canadian ex-pro couch racer. Selling bikes for a living

2008 KTM 525XC
2009 KTM 450SX
2016 YFZ450R


5/30/2018 6:04 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Bombardier bought Rotax back in 1970. They build some of if not the cleanest burning two stroke engines on the market today. They've also built unbranded engines for other manufacturers in the past.

Several years ago I heard they were testing a dirt bike somewhere in Quebec but that's gone silent. Whether that's true or not I'm not sure but I could see them getting back in the motorcycle game.

I started a thread on them last year. You can check it out Here.

Thanks!

|

5/30/2018 7:46 PM

The Rotax DS450 was the Buell engine.

Photo

|