Rookie Phenom

150ripper
3/27/2019 7:55am Edited Date/Time 3/27/2019 7:57am
Forkner has done nothing till this year other than be average.
Didn’t he win moto’s outdoors his rookie year? That’s a little above average. Not to mention his performance at Charlotte MXGP that year.
USA wrote:
Forkner had a very calculated transition into the pros, and has had what, just a collarbone injury since 2016? I’d say his approach is a little...
Forkner had a very calculated transition into the pros, and has had what, just a collarbone injury since 2016? I’d say his approach is a little different, but saying he’s been average just tells me some people don’t pay attention.
He showed flashes of brilliance in his rookie season for sure. People forget that he was giving Osborne fits in SX last year till he wadded. I thought he was the fastest guy last year. This year he's just as fast, but has figured out how to stay on the safe side of the very edge and that's not good news for everyone else.

Also, isn't it kind of a good thing that the current pros are so fast that it takes newcomers a few years to run the pace?
WW444
3/27/2019 8:28am
It’s because every single rider out there now is a phenom. They’re dealing in the smallest fractions of difference in time and skill. This is the...
It’s because every single rider out there now is a phenom. They’re dealing in the smallest fractions of difference in time and skill. This is the first full batch of 250 riders who were home school, private training facility kids since age 6.

The skill sets are all so incredibly high that they’re literally using computer feedback to measure hundredths of a second lost in individual sections. Nobody is going to be 3 seconds a lap faster like Stewart was, because everyone is 3 seconds a lap faster than the guys he raced were.
^^This. Everyone is so fast these days and not a lot of separation. It takes these phenom rookies a year or 2 to adjust to racing these guys until they are the number 1 or 2 guy. I expected Forkner to do what he is doing this year, his first year. But look how long it took him to get it figured out.
JeepnMike
3/27/2019 8:40am
Prado's name should be worth mentioning here too. His season last year was amazing, especially if you consider his % of holeshots. If you also take into consideration his ride in the MXoN, he is a pretty notable talent.
vdrsnk04
Fantasy
4318th
3/27/2019 10:22am
Tarz483 wrote:
Imo Forkner is in that category
what, after 4 years being in the class?

The riders this guy is talking about became pro's and destroyed the field right away. Forkner took years.

To the Op, i have been thinking this to myself as well. You just don't see those guys anymore who turn pro and destroy everyone.

The Shop

3/27/2019 11:08am
Wow some Forkner haters here..
kid is the future, he has a lot of charisma, I am a fan and enjoy his interviews!
Reminds me of a young RV
Johnny Ringo
3/27/2019 11:41am
Forkner won motos his rookie summer, Justin Cooper was really good last summer, Barcia came in hot.

I think the problem is not that we don't have phenoms, but that you are trying to compare anyone to James Stewart. A once in a lifetime talent.
3/27/2019 12:04pm
Stew was the last guy to seriously advance technique, and no one has figured out what the next level is. Maybe nobody ever will, because it might not exist. Phenoms these days will be the guys who can ride up to his level and add in consistency so they dominate. The real, real phenom who can out-talent all who came before him might be a thing of the past.
cbuehler767
3/27/2019 12:17pm
JeepnMike wrote:
Prado's name should be worth mentioning here too. His season last year was amazing, especially if you consider his % of holeshots. If you also take...
Prado's name should be worth mentioning here too. His season last year was amazing, especially if you consider his % of holeshots. If you also take into consideration his ride in the MXoN, he is a pretty notable talent.
Worth noting? He's THE PHENOM if we are talking active riders. 17yrs old when he won the title last yr right? I was at Red Bud and he was beyond impressive. Nobody can touch him outdoors
cbuehler767
3/27/2019 12:21pm
Wow some Forkner haters here.. kid is the future, he has a lot of charisma, I am a fan and enjoy his interviews! Reminds me of...
Wow some Forkner haters here..
kid is the future, he has a lot of charisma, I am a fan and enjoy his interviews!
Reminds me of a young RV
In what way? Style? Not sure I see that. Certainly not success seeing as RV won 3 straight outdoor titles right off the rip

Post a reply to: Rookie Phenom

The Latest