Rookie Hype / Webb Hype

Related:
Create New Tag

1/14/2018 5:21 AM

Why in this sport do rookies get put onto such a high pedestal? Everyone expects them to come out and win right away. Especially when going from the 250 / 450 class. Maybe just maybe every sx east/west title winner is not the next coming of Ricky.

I went back and looked at the top 10 standing of all three of webbs titles. He is the only one from what I can see that is racing the 450 class (Full time). Which tells me he either beat a) really young guns, or b) guys who clearly need more seasoning and / or will never be more than 250 riders. So why was he hyped to compete for wins right off the bat?

There are many many riders you could make that argument for in both 250 and 450 class not just webb.

Obviously injuries , bike changes, etc. play a role in someones results. But I have always been curious about the hype for some guys....

|

1/14/2018 6:01 AM

He worked the the 250 class. Similar to Zach Osborne last year. Didn’t need a start and made it happen.

They hype rookies because 2014 Ken and Eli where rookies. Opening race Ken won.
2015 seely and Anderson. Seely won one that year
2013 barcia
2010 Dunge came in and yea

They often jump right into the mix their first year

|

1/14/2018 6:29 AM

The sport has always been like that. There’s always a young phenom coming into the sport who’s actually change the face of it. Problem is, true phenoms come along maybe once per decade. Rare that we get to see a pair nearly the same age like RV and RD.

|

1/14/2018 12:49 PM

nealb129 wrote:

Why in this sport do rookies get put onto such a high pedestal? Everyone expects them to come out and win right away. Especially when going from the 250 / 450 class. Maybe just maybe every sx east/west title winner is not the next coming of Ricky.

I went back and looked at the top 10 standing of all three of webbs titles. He is the only one from what I can see that is racing the 450 class (Full time). Which tells me he either beat a) really young guns, or b) guys who clearly need more seasoning and / or will never be more than 250 riders. So why was he hyped to compete for wins right off the bat?

There are many many riders you could make that argument for in both 250 and 450 class not just webb.

Obviously injuries , bike changes, etc. play a role in someones results. But I have always been curious about the hype for some guys....

He beat Marvin pretty regularly.

|

1/14/2018 12:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/14/2018 1:11 PM

Because there is nothing else to chat about?

|

1/14/2018 2:02 PM

It's more fun to pretend the young gun is gonna come in and shake things up. And sometimes they do. Webb on the other hand...

|

1/15/2018 12:32 AM

well you can always compare lap times from 250 to 450... i believe his 250 times were pretty damn fast

|

1/15/2018 1:23 AM

His technique needs work . . Look at his feet positon compared to roczen,tomac,dungey etc.

|