Ronnie Ford gives up the Dream?

jbrown15
3/27/2017 6:29pm Edited Date/Time 3/27/2017 6:30pm
rrjr wrote:
Ronnie Ford made the night show in Toronto. Lined up on the gate and after the start he pulled off the track in the first turn.
http://archives.amasupercross.com/xml/SX/events/S1745/S1QCOVR.pdf

That's funny because they don't even list him in the qualifying times. I'm guess this was the weekend he would have gotten into the night show because they didn't have 40 rides and they told him he couldn't race.

So he didn't really earn his way into the night show.
Starcrossed
3/27/2017 6:52pm
rrjr wrote:
Ronnie Ford made the night show in Toronto. Lined up on the gate and after the start he pulled off the track in the first turn.
jbrown15 wrote:
http://archives.amasupercross.com/xml/SX/events/S1745/S1QCOVR.pdf That's funny because they don't even list him in the qualifying times. I'm guess this was the weekend he would have gotten into the night...

That's funny because they don't even list him in the qualifying times. I'm guess this was the weekend he would have gotten into the night show because they didn't have 40 rides and they told him he couldn't race.

That was a strange deal. Even though he doesn't appear on the results sheet, he lined up for the first heat race, left the gate when it dropped, then turned off the track.
Fearo
3/28/2017 12:30am Edited Date/Time 3/28/2017 12:30am
I understand both sides of it all. I won't hate on him simply because he tried to qualify and sometimes got better and then when whoever...
I understand both sides of it all. I won't hate on him simply because he tried to qualify and sometimes got better and then when whoever stepped in and said "no more" he left and didn't cause a scene or get on here and complain about it. He gave it a go until wasn't allowed too.
I agree. Real easy for these keyboard warriors to say he doesn't belong.

In reality, before the season started, I'm sure the guy thought he would be closer speed-wise to making the night show. If he would've known he would be 6 seconds a lap off at best, I'm sure he wouldn't have even tried, and considering he was still that far of halfway through the season, I'm sure he wasn't that baffled by the AMA's decision.
rrjr
3/28/2017 1:15am
rrjr wrote:
jbrown15 wrote:
http://archives.amasupercross.com/xml/SX/events/S1745/S1QCOVR.pdf That's funny because they don't even list him in the qualifying times. I'm guess this was the weekend he would have gotten into the night...

Wrong. He was the 40th fastest qualifier out of 40 riders. He did make it into the night show.

The Shop

ge217
3/28/2017 8:22am
jbrown15 wrote:
You're right that he hasn't been the slowest guy in the stadium racing. But he's been the slowest guy trying to make the night show in...
You're right that he hasn't been the slowest guy in the stadium racing. But he's been the slowest guy trying to make the night show in the 450 class for every round he's been at. And at times he was over 10sec slower than the second slowest guy in the 450 class. The closest he's ever come to even making the night show was still 5secs too slow, and at over 50% of the rounds he's over 10secs off of the 40th place guy.

I don't see how some guys can say this is just hate and not the fact that it could be really dangerous?

I can admire his dream of trying to make the night show at his age, but it ain't gonna happen.
It is hate. You should have a look at times. Othesr on here should look as well. Every year of supercross there is a guy/guys that have laps times almost the same as Ronnies. Some SLOWER and some a little faster. I don't really see Ronnie being out there to be that dangerous when you take in the fact that others are trying to qualify that are slower, really close in speed, and just a little fast like 1/2 sec than Ronnies times. AMA did issue all those license . If you are issued one, you have ever right to be out there.

You would be surprised if you looked at lap times. Ten plus guys a year perform just like Ronnie. You don't see those guys getting hated on. How many people can do sx at his age? How many can even ride sx on this forum?

Dude is out there on a full blown sx track at what 42? Being only 10 seconds off the top 40 fastest time isn't really that bad when you think about the amount of people that can't even ride sx. His dream of making a night show on time could happen. If he put in a year of work on a sx track. I would be willing to bet his times would get way better and be way closer to the top 40.
hvaughn88
3/28/2017 8:32am Edited Date/Time 3/28/2017 8:34am
jbrown15 wrote:
You're right that he hasn't been the slowest guy in the stadium racing. But he's been the slowest guy trying to make the night show in...
You're right that he hasn't been the slowest guy in the stadium racing. But he's been the slowest guy trying to make the night show in the 450 class for every round he's been at. And at times he was over 10sec slower than the second slowest guy in the 450 class. The closest he's ever come to even making the night show was still 5secs too slow, and at over 50% of the rounds he's over 10secs off of the 40th place guy.

I don't see how some guys can say this is just hate and not the fact that it could be really dangerous?

I can admire his dream of trying to make the night show at his age, but it ain't gonna happen.
ge217 wrote:
It is hate. You should have a look at times. Othesr on here should look as well. Every year of supercross there is a guy/guys that...
It is hate. You should have a look at times. Othesr on here should look as well. Every year of supercross there is a guy/guys that have laps times almost the same as Ronnies. Some SLOWER and some a little faster. I don't really see Ronnie being out there to be that dangerous when you take in the fact that others are trying to qualify that are slower, really close in speed, and just a little fast like 1/2 sec than Ronnies times. AMA did issue all those license . If you are issued one, you have ever right to be out there.

You would be surprised if you looked at lap times. Ten plus guys a year perform just like Ronnie. You don't see those guys getting hated on. How many people can do sx at his age? How many can even ride sx on this forum?

Dude is out there on a full blown sx track at what 42? Being only 10 seconds off the top 40 fastest time isn't really that bad when you think about the amount of people that can't even ride sx. His dream of making a night show on time could happen. If he put in a year of work on a sx track. I would be willing to bet his times would get way better and be way closer to the top 40.
IMO (which of course doesn't amount to anything), I don't have any issues with him specifically at all. Yes, for him to be able to go out and try to do it is awesome and amazing and I don't blame him one bit. However, I don't necessarily think it's very awesome for him to be able to that at the pinnacle if the sport. That doesn't mean I'm crapping on the slower guys or anything like that. I think we can all agree that he's a good rider. But the pinnacle is the elite guys and that's a huge gap. No disrespect towards Ronnie at all, just don't care for the system is all.
jbrown15
3/28/2017 9:07am
rrjr wrote:
Wrong. He was the 40th fastest qualifier out of 40 riders. He did make it into the night show. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/03/28/184248/s1200_ronnie.jpg[/img]
Wrong. He was the 40th fastest qualifier out of 40 riders. He did make it into the night show.

Are you sure he qualified because he was the 40th fastest guy, or did he qualify because they only had 39 riders for the night show?
GangGreen
3/28/2017 9:21am
jbrown15 wrote:
Are you sure he qualified because he was the 40th fastest guy, or did he qualify because they only had 39 riders for the night show?
It is not his fault if he makes the "Night Show", it signals a bigger problem with the sport. You people are missing the 10,000 ft view.

Why are there not more local professional guys trying to qualify?

Could it be the minuscule pro purse, shitty promoters, the ridiculous Double-Displacement Rule, 450cc too big, Four-Strokes too costly, Rider's staying Novice to be a Loretta Lynn’s National Champ?
A few weeks back at a sweet track, Cow Branch MX in NC, there were 45 guys during a Saturday practice day. The FASTEST rider there that day was parked next to us. He casually mentioned he was preparing for 450cc Novice at Loretta Lynn's. Does anyone else not think that this is part of the problem???????
BobPA
3/28/2017 9:44am
GangGreen wrote:
It is not his fault if he makes the "Night Show", it signals a bigger problem with the sport. You people are missing the 10,000 ft...
It is not his fault if he makes the "Night Show", it signals a bigger problem with the sport. You people are missing the 10,000 ft view.

Could it be the minuscule pro purse, shitty promoters, the ridiculous Double-Displacement Rule, 450cc too big, Four-Strokes too costly, Rider's staying Novice to be a Loretta Lynn’s National Champ?
A few weeks back at a sweet track, Cow Branch MX in NC, there were 45 guys during a Saturday practice day. The FASTEST rider there that day was parked next to us. He casually mentioned he was preparing for 450cc Novice at Loretta Lynn's. Does anyone else not think that this is part of the problem???????
Well if he was faster then a bunch of belly aching vet riders I see no issue...
rrjr
3/28/2017 9:57am
rrjr wrote:
Wrong. He was the 40th fastest qualifier out of 40 riders. He did make it into the night show. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/03/28/184248/s1200_ronnie.jpg[/img]

jbrown15 wrote:
Reading comprehension. You should try it.

I said he was the 40th fastest rider out of 40 riders. That means there were only 40 riders at the race. Regardless of how fast or slow his qualifying time was, the AMA/FIM did not tell him he couldn't race like you claim.
Skidaddle
3/28/2017 10:36am
If California still had racing 5 days/nights a week, nobody but factory dudes would be at the big races.

They would all be making a great living racing local weekend races, weekday night races etc. They might hit a few nats or SX's within say a 10-12 hour drive.
jbrown15
3/28/2017 10:38am Edited Date/Time 3/28/2017 6:26pm
rrjr wrote:
Reading comprehension. You should try it. I said he was the 40th fastest rider out of 40 riders. That means there were only 40 riders at...

I said he was the 40th fastest rider out of 40 riders. That means there were only 40 riders at the race. Regardless of how fast or slow his qualifying time was, the AMA/FIM did not tell him he couldn't race like you claim.
My reading comprehension is fine, my original reply to your comment was that he didn't earn his way into the night show for the Toronto race and that's still true. He got in because there was only 40 riders including himself. And something had to be up because if you look at the AMA official archive results something doesn't add up.

http://archives.amasupercross.com/2017/index.html?EventID=S1745

They have him listed on the entry list, they don't list him with a qualifying time, he didn't line up for any of the heat races, or the semi heat races. Then he lines up for the LCQ so he can collect his cash for making the LCQ, starts and then pulls right off and doesn't complete a lap. All of that would indicate that the AMA told him he couldn't race but they let him line up for the LCQ to collect his money for making the LCQ. You do realize that guys get money just for lining up for the LCQ right.
jbrown15
3/28/2017 10:39am
BobPA wrote:
Well if he was faster then a bunch of belly aching vet riders I see no issue...
I completely agree with this, I'm sure he's probably one of the fastest guys on the track at his local races. He's probably a good guy too.
GangGreen
3/28/2017 10:49am
Skidaddle wrote:
If California still had racing 5 days/nights a week, nobody but factory dudes would be at the big races. They would all be making a great...
If California still had racing 5 days/nights a week, nobody but factory dudes would be at the big races.

They would all be making a great living racing local weekend races, weekday night races etc. They might hit a few nats or SX's within say a 10-12 hour drive.
So Skidaddle, if local racing is dying, why there are NOT more local professional guys trying to qualify?

Sounds like if the purse was better for guys who make the "Night Show", this problem would fix itself.
TXDirt
3/28/2017 6:06pm
Why should he have to give up his dream if Davalos can start his second decade as a lites racer?
ML512
Fantasy
45th
3/28/2017 6:28pm
TXDirt wrote:
Why should he have to give up his dream if Davalos can start his second decade as a lites racer?
Troll.
TXDirt
3/28/2017 6:38pm
TXDirt wrote:
ML512 wrote:
Troll.
Let riders ride and race what they want. If they make it great. If not then they don't.
Starcrossed
3/28/2017 7:20pm
rrjr wrote:
Reading comprehension. You should try it. I said he was the 40th fastest rider out of 40 riders. That means there were only 40 riders at...

jbrown15 wrote:
My reading comprehension is fine, my original reply to your comment was that he didn't earn his way into the night show for the Toronto race...
My reading comprehension is fine, my original reply to your comment was that he didn't earn his way into the night show for the Toronto race and that's still true. He got in because there was only 40 riders including himself. And something had to be up because if you look at the AMA official archive results something doesn't add up.

http://archives.amasupercross.com/2017/index.html?EventID=S1745

They have him listed on the entry list, they don't list him with a qualifying time, he didn't line up for any of the heat races, or the semi heat races. Then he lines up for the LCQ so he can collect his cash for making the LCQ, starts and then pulls right off and doesn't complete a lap. All of that would indicate that the AMA told him he couldn't race but they let him line up for the LCQ to collect his money for making the LCQ. You do realize that guys get money just for lining up for the LCQ right.
He lined up and turned off in the first heat race, not the LCQ...if I remember correctly. However he was not listed in any of the results sheets for the qualifying sessions. Seems like they just decided to let him go to the gate to fulfill part of his dream, photo op, whatever...but he wasn't going to race. What they should have done is yank his SX license at A1, and tell him that he has to go thru Arenacross to get his points, which is unlikely to have happened. The guy slipped thru the cracks in the system, and ran with it for all it was worth, making a mockery of an elite level sport in the process. I'd like to see if he could even qualify for the night show in Arenacross. It's fortunate that he never got injured, or directly caused any injuries to other riders. This was an experiment that went on way too long. Granted he was much closer by round 10 or 11, but clearly didn't belong out there.
Micahdogg
3/28/2017 7:29pm
Think of it this way. People generally "get it" when it comes to JS7 (or other pros) trying to race themselves into shape and how dangerous it can be. Ford was effectively doing the same. Its just not a good idea. He had fun and has skills. So he didnt make a main...2 outta 3 aint bad.
web mx
3/28/2017 7:48pm
He lined up and turned off in the first heat race, not the LCQ...if I remember correctly. However he was not listed in any of the...
He lined up and turned off in the first heat race, not the LCQ...if I remember correctly. However he was not listed in any of the results sheets for the qualifying sessions. Seems like they just decided to let him go to the gate to fulfill part of his dream, photo op, whatever...but he wasn't going to race. What they should have done is yank his SX license at A1, and tell him that he has to go thru Arenacross to get his points, which is unlikely to have happened. The guy slipped thru the cracks in the system, and ran with it for all it was worth, making a mockery of an elite level sport in the process. I'd like to see if he could even qualify for the night show in Arenacross. It's fortunate that he never got injured, or directly caused any injuries to other riders. This was an experiment that went on way too long. Granted he was much closer by round 10 or 11, but clearly didn't belong out there.
^ This ^ x 2
GangGreen
3/29/2017 3:57am
He lined up and turned off in the first heat race, not the LCQ...if I remember correctly. However he was not listed in any of the...
If only we still had early afternoon qualifiers, like EVERY YEAR until about 2015, Ronnie would have been eliminated in a qualifying race. "Timed Practice" is stupid and, along with making the track one-lined, seems to cause issues every week. Do any local tracks use timed practice for gate pick? Who thought timed practice was a good idea?
steveada
3/29/2017 5:32am
GangGreen wrote:
It is not his fault if he makes the "Night Show", it signals a bigger problem with the sport. You people are missing the 10,000 ft...

Because this isn't the local hot summer nights race series. They have enough guys who are serious about it to fill up all the practice sessions and fill the gates with quality riders.

"The FASTEST rider there that day was parked next to us. He casually mentioned he was preparing for 450cc Novice at Loretta Lynn's."

There is no 450 Novice class at LL's, or any other novice class for that matter.
sam hain
3/29/2017 5:40am
I haven't seen it mentioned but (I could be wrong) with the RC AX race your way to SX the only local pro's that could show up and try to qualify for the night show are old guys like Ronnie who are grandfathered in via the rule book. Correct? Some local pro off the street can't show up and decided to race they have to go thru AX first.
GangGreen
3/29/2017 6:13am
steveada wrote:
[b]Why are there not more local professional guys trying to qualify? [/b] Because this isn't the local hot summer nights race series. They have enough guys...

Because this isn't the local hot summer nights race series. They have enough guys who are serious about it to fill up all the practice sessions and fill the gates with quality riders.

"The FASTEST rider there that day was parked next to us. He casually mentioned he was preparing for 450cc Novice at Loretta Lynn's."

There is no 450 Novice class at LL's, or any other novice class for that matter.
Sorry, I mistyped......... 450 C, 450 Novice, same thing at most motocross tracks.... Not worth arguing about. Seems ridiculous to have a championship at that level. It'd be like seeing who's the best "2nd time ever" Bowler.

The AMA cannot be expected to weed out these guys. Heck, there have been 13 different types of penalties from those jackholes, (Black Flags, Suspensions, Probation, Positions Taken Away, Last Gate Pick in Main, Warnings )

Steveada wrote, "They have enough guys who are serious about it to fill up all the practice sessions and fill the gates with quality riders".

If they did, someone 7 seconds off the pace would NEVER make the evening show at Supercross. They didn't even have C Group practice sessions at Daytona or Indianapolis.

Dtat720
3/29/2017 6:29am
His insta says he will be at St. Louis. Maybe the dream lives.
ge217
3/29/2017 7:33am
Wasn't this dude like 10 or more seconds offf the LAST qualifier?
You don't read well huh? Its posted above. you could have answered your own question...
motoxxx599
Fantasy
985th
3/29/2017 7:44am
Wasn't this dude like 10 or more seconds offf the LAST qualifier?
ge217 wrote:
You don't read well huh? Its posted above. you could have answered your own question...
Garrett, did you ever try your hand at SX? If so did you make the night show?
steveada
3/29/2017 7:52am
steveada wrote:
[b]Why are there not more local professional guys trying to qualify? [/b] Because this isn't the local hot summer nights race series. They have enough guys...

GangGreen wrote:
Sorry, I mistyped......... [b]450 C, 450 Novice, same thing at most motocross tracks[/b].... Not worth arguing about. Seems ridiculous to have a championship at that level...
Sorry, I mistyped......... 450 C, 450 Novice, same thing at most motocross tracks.... Not worth arguing about. Seems ridiculous to have a championship at that level. It'd be like seeing who's the best "2nd time ever" Bowler.

The AMA cannot be expected to weed out these guys. Heck, there have been 13 different types of penalties from those jackholes, (Black Flags, Suspensions, Probation, Positions Taken Away, Last Gate Pick in Main, Warnings )

Steveada wrote, "They have enough guys who are serious about it to fill up all the practice sessions and fill the gates with quality riders".

If they did, someone 7 seconds off the pace would NEVER make the evening show at Supercross. They didn't even have C Group practice sessions at Daytona or Indianapolis.

Kind of off topic but the fastest guy at LL's last year in 450C would have been 35th in 450B. It sounds like the class structure is about right. If a C rider was the fastest guy at your local race, the guys there aren't too fast.
ge217
3/29/2017 7:56am
motoxxx599 wrote:
Garrett, did you ever try your hand at SX? If so did you make the night show?
I have not. I never had access to a SX track growing up and still don't. If I did now though, and had the support to race some or all rounds. I damn sure would try. You know what my goal would be? To make top 40, just like Ronnie.

Post a reply to: Ronnie Ford gives up the Dream?

The Latest