Ronnie Ford gives up the Dream?

rrjr
Edited Date/Time 2/2/2018 7:33pm
No Ronnie in Detroit? He's on the entry list but not on the track.
|
web mx
3/25/2017 11:33am
I dont see him on the entry list
Starcrossed
3/25/2017 11:37am
Didn't they have another chat with him last week, which resulted in him not finishing up his qualifying sessions?

The Shop

Firefly47
3/25/2017 11:43am
That guy was a danger and hindrance to others on the track.
blusmbl
3/25/2017 11:46am
I thought GuyB reported last week that the AMA talked with him and asked him to not come back since he was 6+ seconds off being able to make the night show.
?
3/25/2017 12:08pm
He was getting better every week. After taking his money all year and almost being in reach...why now??? Sad.
bad juju
3/25/2017 1:20pm
if he would have put himself on a 450 like everyone else he most likely would've had better results. I was pullin for him, but that's a steep challenge. I've raced a 2t against modern 4t. sure, on the local level you can get it done. but its unbelievably hard to do. I get on my 450 after I ride the 2t and laugh at how much easier it is to ride faster. on an AMA supercross track with the top guys in the world? it really is a dream. no talking shit on the guy, for sure. he is a bad ass. I think he would not be in the limelight and maybe make the night show if he was on a 4t. hope he comes back on a 450 and meets his goals...
rrjr
3/25/2017 1:26pm
? wrote:
He was getting better every week. After taking his money all year and almost being in reach...why now??? Sad.
I was thinking the same thing. He goes from being barely faster than the KTM Junior SX riders to within 6 seconds of the next guy and they pull the plug. Why now? It was clear after A-1 that he didn't have the speed to be even close to making the night show. It took the AMA/FIM 11 rounds to come to this conclusion? Another example of the strange decision thought process of the AMA.
Starcrossed
3/25/2017 1:31pm
They probably told him that just being in the top 40 wouldn't guarantee him a spot, unless he showed capability. He probably knew what his odds were, and went for it anyway.
Dtat720
3/25/2017 1:33pm
bad juju wrote:
if he would have put himself on a 450 like everyone else he most likely would've had better results. I was pullin for him, but that's...
if he would have put himself on a 450 like everyone else he most likely would've had better results. I was pullin for him, but that's a steep challenge. I've raced a 2t against modern 4t. sure, on the local level you can get it done. but its unbelievably hard to do. I get on my 450 after I ride the 2t and laugh at how much easier it is to ride faster. on an AMA supercross track with the top guys in the world? it really is a dream. no talking shit on the guy, for sure. he is a bad ass. I think he would not be in the limelight and maybe make the night show if he was on a 4t. hope he comes back on a 450 and meets his goals...
His goal was to do it on a 2T
rrjr
3/25/2017 1:34pm
bad juju wrote:
if he would have put himself on a 450 like everyone else he most likely would've had better results. I was pullin for him, but that's...
Unless there's less than 40 entries there's no way he's making the night show on a 450 or a 250. Might as well ride the 2 stroke and get people talking about you. It works. There's a thread about him every week. He's been featured on RacerX and interviewed by TransworldMX. If he was on a 450 he'd be another faceless rider fighting to be the slowest rider on the track.

rrjr
3/25/2017 1:41pm
They probably told him that just being in the top 40 wouldn't guarantee him a spot, unless he showed capability. He probably knew what his odds...
They probably told him that just being in the top 40 wouldn't guarantee him a spot, unless he showed capability. He probably knew what his odds were, and went for it anyway.
Well I'm not sure he was ever told that because he made the night show in Toronto.
Skidaddle
3/25/2017 2:04pm
bad juju wrote:
No.
Any guy who can get around a track on a 4 stroke can do the same on a 2 stroke.

The guy couldn't do a simple double or even get across the whoops. There are 85 Novices that could put a better lap together.

Here is Josh Grant dicking around on a 2 stroke. He's not even trying.

Just skip to 1:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB9e7E3gPas

JRT812
3/25/2017 4:41pm Edited Date/Time 3/25/2017 4:42pm
Heard on Pulp the dream was taken and rightfully so for safety reasons. Props to him for trying though
?
3/26/2017 5:30am
bad juju wrote:
Skidaddle wrote:
No. Any guy who can get around a track on a 4 stroke can do the same on a 2 stroke. The guy couldn't do a...
No.

The guy couldn't do a simple double or even get across the whoops. There are 85 Novices that could put a better lap together.

You must be blind? While he had some challenges, he was quite a bit better than you say. Maybe you just listen to too much internet radio?
Ferro
3/26/2017 6:30am
So the dream is over and people still want to have a dig about it. He gave it a go and put some skin in the game, that's what I thought life was about.
500guy
3/26/2017 8:00am
Ferro wrote:
So the dream is over and people still want to have a dig about it. He gave it a go and put some skin in the...
So the dream is over and people still want to have a dig about it. He gave it a go and put some skin in the game, that's what I thought life was about.
You mean the pipe dream right ?

No disrespect to the rider but He should have been sent home after his 2nd try.
GangGreen
3/26/2017 8:40am
Typical AMA, making up the rules as they go along.......
Instead of complaining about Ronnie, why doesn't anyone talk about the real problem.
Why are there less than 50 guys trying to qualify? Could it be pro purse, promoter issues, cost of 4 strokes, ridiculous Double-Displacement Rule, 450cc too big, Rider's staying C for Loretta Lynns? It is not his fault he can make the "Night Show", it signals a bigger problem with the sport. I think it's great he's out there, on a 250cc two-stroke, probably faster than most of us.
JB 19
3/26/2017 9:21am
bad juju wrote:
Skidaddle wrote:
No. Any guy who can get around a track on a 4 stroke can do the same on a 2 stroke. The guy couldn't do a...
No.

Have you saw him ride? Put it this way, at Indy he was jumping both of the big triples. When was the last time you saw 85 novices hucking supercross triples?

He wasn't setting the track on fire, but he was a long ways from an 85 novice. Problem is, facts seem to many times screw up a good story.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
3/26/2017 9:22am
blusmbl wrote:
I thought GuyB reported last week that the AMA talked with him and asked him to not come back since he was 6+ seconds off being...
I thought GuyB reported last week that the AMA talked with him and asked him to not come back since he was 6+ seconds off being able to make the night show.
I think what I said was more along the lines of needing to step it up
ML512
Fantasy
54th
3/26/2017 9:32am
JB 19 wrote:
Have you saw him ride? Put it this way, at Indy he was jumping both of the big triples. When was the last time you saw...
Have you saw him ride? Put it this way, at Indy he was jumping both of the big triples. When was the last time you saw 85 novices hucking supercross triples?

He wasn't setting the track on fire, but he was a long ways from an 85 novice. Problem is, facts seem to many times screw up a good story.
Well if the Skidaddle, like me, saw him for the first few rounds of the year...it wasn't pretty....when his laptimes were closer to the 50 JR Challenge than the rest of the field.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
3/26/2017 9:36am
Another thing to consider is complaints from other riders. When I asked earlier how long Ronnie would be allowed to continue trying, I was told it would depend upon how much time he spent upright and if the complaints from other riders continued to roll in and increase... I've heard from round-to-round, different riders were entering complaints.

Sadly, he got to a point where he was just getting good enough to try rhythms every lap but that also meant he was in the way more. Earlier in the year, he was in the C practice and rolled everything out of the main line, so he wasn't in the way much. The last few rounds, with the lack of riders, he would be moved to the B practice (C is eliminated as there aren't enough entries) and he's trying more stuff. So in the B practice, he's riding with quicker guys and he's trying more rhythms, meaning he's actually in the way more often now. Last race I attended was Daytona, and there were a lot of guys from that B practice talking about him...
500guy
3/26/2017 1:36pm
The important thing to take from all this , apparently 2 Stroke fumes cause brain damage and people think that just because he rode a 2 stroke He was living a dream.
mxb2
3/26/2017 1:41pm
500guy wrote:
The important thing to take from all this , apparently 2 Stroke fumes cause brain damage and people think that just because he rode a 2...
The important thing to take from all this , apparently 2 Stroke fumes cause brain damage and people think that just because he rode a 2 stroke He was living a dream.
Yea, a dream alright,. Soon to wake up to reality.
500guy
3/26/2017 1:53pm
mxb2 wrote:
The reality was He had about as much business being out there as a golfer who never broke 100 would trying to play the PGA tour.
mxb2
3/26/2017 2:13pm
mxb2 wrote:
500guy wrote:
The reality was He had about as much business being out there as a golfer who never broke 100 would trying to play the PGA tour.
X2

Post a reply to: Ronnie Ford gives up the Dream?

The Latest