Roll the drop or rely on reaction time?

Hammer 663s
Kind of same deal as the starting device thread....

Do you try to roll/time the drop, or do you lock in and go for reaction time?

Some gates are designed so you have no room to roll. Sometimes you can see the starter stomp on the release. Is rolling more efficient on concrete versus dirt start?

I almost never try to time it or roll before the drop. I lock in once the board goes sideways, watch the drop pin/lever, and go on any movement. Works out well when I've followed my routine and am focused, in that zone where there is no fear and no thought. If they hold the gate (bastards!) tho it is hard to hold that level of focus for more than 2-3 seconds.

Hammer 663s
|
luke11
Fantasy
2280th
10/19/2021 1:10pm
As above, if you watch a few the starter will usually hold the same amount of time after the board goes sideways. if I’ve seen three drops and they’ve all gone on 3 elephants, I’m going on 3 elephants
chump6784
10/19/2021 1:11pm
I always watch as many gate drops as I can. Locally, I can end up timing a lot of them.
This. The last big series i did, once the board went sideways they held the gate for about 8 seconds. I could hear the bikes of the guys either side of me and by the time the gate dropped they were nearly in the rev limiter.

I don't try to roll or time the gate. I look at the gate right in front of my tire. I know i could get a split second advantage looking at the pin but i find looking straight ahead helps me drive straight out of the gate
Camp332
10/19/2021 1:11pm
Haven't raced since 2013, but I liked to have the clutch just touching so the bike would be engaged(slightly creeping forward), then react at the gate movement.

The Shop

10/19/2021 1:13pm
I used to like to watch the starts of most races. At local events the starter tends to get in to a habit and you can get lucky. On dirt, I never really rolled. Usually put my feet between pegs and levers if the rut was deep enough for me to be flat footed. Concrete was a different story everywhere but Mammoth because of the rough concrete there, it was like starting on dirt anyways. Trying to dump and go on concrete was always a disaster. Shit was like glass at almost every track around Vegas for some reason.

I never did any of the fancy look at the pin, listen/look for the stomp. I think all the hours on the Playstation helped a lot with hand/eye reactions. Somehow always managed to pull pretty good starts almost everywhere we went.
Hammer 663s
10/19/2021 1:38pm
Camp332 wrote:
Haven't raced since 2013, but I liked to have the clutch just touching so the bike would be engaged(slightly creeping forward), then react at the gate...
Haven't raced since 2013, but I liked to have the clutch just touching so the bike would be engaged(slightly creeping forward), then react at the gate movement.
I have mine engaged to the point the bike is shaking and trying to go. This is with front brake on hard to keep me in place. I’ve actually slid the front wheel a few times when I had too much throttle/clutch.
Camp332
10/19/2021 1:40pm
Camp332 wrote:
Haven't raced since 2013, but I liked to have the clutch just touching so the bike would be engaged(slightly creeping forward), then react at the gate...
I have mine engaged to the point the bike is shaking and trying to go. This is with front brake on hard to keep me in...
I have mine engaged to the point the bike is shaking and trying to go. This is with front brake on hard to keep me in place. I’ve actually slid the front wheel a few times when I had too much throttle/clutch.
Same my Bro!Smile
Hammer 663s
10/19/2021 1:43pm
luke11 wrote:
As above, if you watch a few the starter will usually hold the same amount of time after the board goes sideways. if I’ve seen three...
As above, if you watch a few the starter will usually hold the same amount of time after the board goes sideways. if I’ve seen three drops and they’ve all gone on 3 elephants, I’m going on 3 elephants
Most tracks here the starter tries to mix it up to eliminate that. All it takes is one longer hold every 4 or 5 drops to make you think. I hate those 8-10 second holds. Clutch gets hot fast!
NeedMoto
10/19/2021 2:05pm
Camp332 wrote:
I have mine engaged to the point the bike is shaking and trying to go. This is with front brake on hard to keep me in...
HaHa, I've done this and my stupid device releases. I'm a little gentler these days. I could mount the device lower, but setting it is harder, as I set it myself.

Falcon
Fantasy
856th
10/19/2021 2:12pm
I never try to guess; I only go on fact. It is a fact that the gate is dropping when I see it do so. Anyone near me who is trying to time it will get burned more often than he hits the jackpot and goes. I watch the gate like a hawk and I must have those fast-twitch fibers they talk about. I'm usually quick off the gate. That said, I do try to line up as far back as feasible, so I can get away with a little bit of creep.
Also, my starting trick relies more on what happens when my rear tire hits the dirt than on plain reaction time.
murph783
10/19/2021 3:20pm
I also look straight ahead and keep the gate in my field of vision, but not direct center. I sense movement pretty well so it seems to work
dsmith
Fantasy
1470th
10/19/2021 3:27pm Edited Date/Time 10/19/2021 3:27pm
I think alessi watched the pin....or listened for it....

Post a reply to: Roll the drop or rely on reaction time?

The Latest