Roll off problems and Australias bullshit rule.

Related:
Create New Tag

7/4/2017 11:04 PM

Hey all bought a set of airbrakes and after a muddy practice session there now fucked, basicaly i coped some roost right on the canister and when i went to pull the cord its snapped and the film has spooled up and became a streamer. My local shop have told me to contact the local oakley rep and take it up with him. Any suggestions on roll offs that work well? This isn't the first failure I've heard of lately but its either race with roll off's or nothing.

|

7/4/2017 11:42 PM

Get with the times bro the roll off rule have been overturned we raced last week with tear-offs....so nice!! man that was a balls up!!

|

7/4/2017 11:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/4/2017 11:46 PM

heaps of people have had issues with airbrake roll off systems over here, i dont think because its the most expensive system they are not the best,

well set up roll offs dont give me an issue, i run 100% systems with dimpled lenses, dont have many issues, and have used smith, scott and rnr ones in the past with no issues, you need to set them up properly and use dimpled lens, or if you can not get them, then use fishing line underneath the film,

although we don't have a total ban, quite a few tracks here and all off road events have no tear off rules,

|

7/4/2017 11:54 PM

Helder wrote:

Get with the times bro the roll off rule have been overturned we raced last week with tear-offs....so nice!! man that was a balls up!!

So the roll off rule has been removed? Still in place for enduros and natural terrains which i raced with roll offs.

|

7/5/2017 12:54 AM

Helder wrote:

jordz wrote:

So the roll off rule has been removed? Still in place for enduros and natural terrains which i raced with roll offs.

It hasn't been removed, but they've introduced the ability of any club to apply for a permit to show what controls the club has in place so they can limit the spread of littering tear-offs or some shit. The club can then be exempt from the rule. Nearly every club around my area has managed to be exempt form the rule so it can't be that hard to get.

|

7/5/2017 12:57 AM

Yeah, I've never had much problem with roll offs, always used Smiths. Yep a dimpled lens or some fishing line under the film or the film will stick to the lens and jam, then you break the cord yanking on it.
The major problem is rocks in the roost completely smashing a canister...then it's game over.

Raced Albury vics a couple weeks ago, they applied for tear off exemption ban. Most used tear offs including me.
I only like roll offs in a full on mud race.

The tear off ban itself? With all the myriad problems confronting our sport , this is the best that MA could come up with...banning tear offs.....They are a completely useless organisation that is killing our sport

|

2020 YZ450F
2006 YZ125
2013 YZ 250F special edition
2017 YZ 250
2015 YZ 250f soecial edition
2019 KTM 85 big wheel

7/5/2017 1:02 AM

scott_nz wrote:

heaps of people have had issues with airbrake roll off systems over here, i dont think because its the most expensive system they are not the best,

well set up roll offs dont give me an issue, i run 100% systems with dimpled lenses, dont have many issues, and have used smith, scott and rnr ones in the past with no issues, you need to set them up properly and use dimpled lens, or if you can not get them, then use fishing line underneath the film,

although we don't have a total ban, quite a few tracks here and all off road events have no tear off rules,

What he said ^^

I hate tear offs, always used roll offs myself.

|

7/5/2017 1:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/5/2017 1:08 AM

tobz wrote:

It hasn't been removed, but they've introduced the ability of any club to apply for a permit to show what controls the club has in place so they can limit the spread of littering tear-offs or some shit. The club can then be exempt from the rule. Nearly every club around my area has managed to be exempt form the rule so it can't be that hard to get.

And it just goes to show what a worthless organisation MA is...they ban tearoffs for God only knows what reason...we protest, but rather than scrap that stupid rule, they impose more red tape and hurdles for hard pressed clubs to negotiate in order to run a race meeting..
Here's how it works in practice....the club has to show what controls it has in place to limit the spread of littering tear offs....At Albury, at the pre race riders briefing, riders were told to dispose of their tearoffs at the bin provided at the end of the track exit lane, upon completion of their race....

|

2020 YZ450F
2006 YZ125
2017 YZ 250
2019 KTM 85 big wheel

7/5/2017 1:06 AM

jordz wrote:

tobz wrote:

PJRAUS wrote:

And it just goes to show what a worthless organisation MA is...they ban tearoffs for God only knows what reason...we protest, but rather than scrap that stupid rule, they impose more red tape and hurdles for hard pressed clubs to negotiate in order to run a race meeting..
Here's how it works in practice....the club has to show what controls it has in place to limit the spread of littering tear offs....At Albury, at the pre race riders briefing, riders were told to dispose of their tearoffs at the bin provided at the end of the track exit lane, upon completion of their race....

Haha rip em off and put em in your pocket while your racing to dispose of at the end of the moto pls.

|

7/5/2017 1:13 AM

jordz wrote:

tobz wrote:

PJRAUS wrote:

Hahaha what pull a tear off tuck it in ya pants then put it in the bin at the end of the race?

|

7/5/2017 1:48 AM

jordz wrote:

Hahaha what pull a tear off tuck it in ya pants then put it in the bin at the end of the race?

Well they never actually said that...but I guess that's what they meant!
Fair dinkum, I nearly pissed myself laughing.
I've got an interesting perspective...I quit racing in 2002 because MA and tha mini bike parents forced me out of the sport, I could never provide my own personal flag marshal , so I was not allowed to race...it was very bad.

Had a crack again in 2011, but it cost a fortune and all I ever seemed to do was sit around waiting for a 3 lap race whist the ambulance attended fallen toddlers throughout the day, wiped away their little tears bless em!...chucked it in again..

Back again starting a couple weeks ago....had to print off and fill out a special ,self scrutineering form to say that my handle bars are plugged and my throttle self closes and that all my spokes are tuned precisely to the key of G.Also supply the vin number of my YZ 125 so that the organisers could check to make sure that I wasn't trying to run a 450 in the lites class.... Had to print out and fill in a special medical form that lists my next of kin contacts...just like on my club membership and my race license and also what blood type I am , which I of course listed as " no idea " which was actually accepted

After that I paid my $200 entry fee that included $25 medical levy and $10 flag levy per class, I raced two classes so those levies came to $70

Things are soooo much better now!

|

2020 YZ450F
2006 YZ125
2017 YZ 250
2019 KTM 85 big wheel

7/5/2017 1:54 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/5/2017 1:55 AM

Why don't they just introduce a rule where everyone has to bring a volunteer to pick up trash when they're not racing?

smile

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/5/2017 2:13 AM

Crush wrote:

Why don't they just introduce a rule where everyone has to bring a volunteer to pick up trash when they're not racing?

smile

Us Aussies do such a good line in sarcasm....I love it...if you didn't laugh, you'd just become a mass murderer!

|

2020 YZ450F
2006 YZ125
2017 YZ 250
2019 KTM 85 big wheel

7/5/2017 2:37 AM

Nothing better than sitting around watching little johnnys old man scream at his son for not winning c grade 85's and he spent five grand on his motor and just stands there abusing the poor kid. I'm really hoping my five year old prefers enduro over mx. Haha.

|

7/5/2017 2:39 AM

Crush wrote:

smile

PJRAUS wrote:

Us Aussies do such a good line in sarcasm....I love it...if you didn't laugh, you'd just become a mass murderer!

haha, mate, some of the various MX club fb posts and comments have been awesome.

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/5/2017 3:08 AM

PJRAUS wrote:

I've got an interesting perspective...I quit racing in 2002 because MA and tha mini bike parents forced me out of the sport, I could never provide my own personal flag marshal , so I was not allowed to race...it was very bad.

Had a crack again in 2011, but it cost a fortune and all I ever seemed to do was sit around waiting for a 3 lap race whist the ambulance attended fallen toddlers throughout the day, wiped away their little tears bless em!...chucked it in again..

Back again starting a couple weeks ago....had to print off and fill out a special ,self scrutineering form to say that my handle bars are plugged and my throttle self closes and that all my spokes are tuned precisely to the key of G.Also supply the vin number of my YZ 125 so that the organisers could check to make sure that I wasn't trying to run a 450 in the lites class.... Had to print out and fill in a special medical form that lists my next of kin contacts...just like on my club membership and my race license and also what blood type I am , which I of course listed as " no idea " which was actually accepted

After that I paid my $200 entry fee that included $25 medical levy and $10 flag levy per class, I raced two classes so those levies came to $70

Wow! If you all Awesome Aussie Bros don't mind a Yank jumpin' in, I'd just like to say if all that above is what you put up with to race, you must really love MX!

|

7/5/2017 3:28 AM

Helder wrote:

not all clubs are on board yet , they have to apply , i know macarthur still havnt done it

|

7/5/2017 5:50 AM

jordz wrote:

PJRAUS wrote:

Harry Backmon wrote:

Wow! If you all Awesome Aussie Bros don't mind a Yank jumpin' in, I'd just like to say if all that above is what you put up with to race, you must really love MX!

Yeah, I do love motocross, I'm an addict! Always loved the sport, always hated the fuckwits that run it...they've forced me to quit a few times now and believe me, you can't make shit like this up...there's all that I listed above and more!

In 1999 /2000 I spent 5 weeks in California riding most days and racing the REM events at Glen Helen on the Saturdays...you just rock up to the gate..pay your money to get in, rock up to the sign up people and pay your race entry, go do practice, race, have fun then go home....It was amazing....no fuckwit officials, no having to line up with your bike while some expert tells you that you have a loose spoke and you have to line up all over again...no nazi demanding to know the full name, date of birth, home address and drivers license number of your own personal flag marshal that you have to bring with you or no ride!!!!
I just gotta stop before I depress myself into doing something foolish..

|

2020 YZ450F
2006 YZ125
2017 YZ 250
2019 KTM 85 big wheel

7/5/2017 7:12 AM

are you guys aware thet HRP makes biodegradeable tear offs

|

7/5/2017 8:23 AM

jordz wrote:

Hey all bought a set of airbrakes and after a muddy practice session there now fucked, basicaly i coped some roost right on the canister and when i went to pull the cord its snapped and the film has spooled up and became a streamer. My local shop have told me to contact the local oakley rep and take it up with him. Any suggestions on roll offs that work well? This isn't the first failure I've heard of lately but its either race with roll off's or nothing.

If you bought'em from that shop...it's their job to talk to the rep.

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

7/5/2017 10:12 AM

Don't run Oakleys.

Go get some Scotts or 100% goggles with the roll off system.

Solves that problem.

|

7/5/2017 10:51 AM

pete24 wrote:

are you guys aware thet HRP makes biodegradeable tear offs

they do not biodegrade fast enough to worry about,

in NZ and Australia alot of tracks are on working farms, and cattle have eaten tear offs and died, in NZ some farmers have made it compulsary for no tear offs, or their land wont be available,

|

7/5/2017 7:09 PM

IceMan446 wrote:

Don't run Oakleys.

Go get some Scotts or 100% goggles with the roll off system.

Solves that problem.

i have the new scotts, quality of the canisters is rubbish , like something from a kinda surprise egg . i have 100 % and the canisters arn`t much better almost identicle and one of them snapped at a grass track event and the lense is frosty , i have a 10 year old set of spy cannisters and they are really well made in comparison

|

7/5/2017 7:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/5/2017 7:27 PM

WTF is a flag marshal?

you guys are making me realize how good we have it here. pay my 25 dollars and ride for the day.
Thats all there is to it.

Ive seen some sketchy shit at our D14 tracks.

|

7/5/2017 9:30 PM

I ride Vintage over here now and we cannot even use tear offs on a track that isn't on or near a farm. Throw in the fact that we cant run go pros on your helmets anymore either.

Im likening the decline of the MX scene over here in line with the decline of the country, we are slowly becoming the laughing stock of the world with rules and regulations imposed on everything, Political correctness overload, everything.

|

7/5/2017 9:56 PM

Whitey wrote:

I ride Vintage over here now and we cannot even use tear offs on a track that isn't on or near a farm. Throw in the fact that we cant run go pros on your helmets anymore either.

Im likening the decline of the MX scene over here in line with the decline of the country, we are slowly becoming the laughing stock of the world with rules and regulations imposed on everything, Political correctness overload, everything.

MNZ and MA seem to be in a race to see who can lose the most members now,

MNZ have now said that go pro mounts on bikes have to be approved as well,

|

7/5/2017 10:30 PM

Whitey wrote:

We run a pretty tight ship over here as well. After riding we were only allowed to shoot no more than 25 guns at the same time behind the ole tabletop !! Can you imagine!

It sounds like it's time for you guys to have a US-style TRUMP overthrow over there ! Before it's too late.

|

Powerband in every gear !

7/5/2017 10:31 PM

nascarnate326 wrote:

WTF is a flag marshal?

you guys are making me realize how good we have it here. pay my 25 dollars and ride for the day.
Thats all there is to it.

Ive seen some sketchy shit at our D14 tracks.

Just a flagger. They are obsessed with them here. Back in the day we had them positioned in blind spots...then juniors came in , took over the whole show and wanted so many flaggers, that they could just about link arms around some tracks..

|

2020 YZ450F
2006 YZ125
2017 YZ 250
2019 KTM 85 big wheel

7/6/2017 12:07 AM

jordz wrote:

TeamGreen wrote:

If you bought'em from that shop...it's their job to talk to the rep.

You bet, and if they don't resolve the problem, just call consumer affairs. Even letting therm know you intend to normally does the trick.

|

7/6/2017 1:09 AM

Whitey wrote:

FGR01 wrote:

We run a pretty tight ship over here as well. After riding we were only allowed to shoot no more than 25 guns at the same time behind the ole tabletop !! Can you imagine!

It sounds like it's time for you guys to have a US-style TRUMP overthrow over there ! Before it's too late.

Haha mate if I hadn't seen the guns in person I would call bullshit.

I don't think Trump is the answer either, don't wish that upon us.

Hope all is well over there Mike, been a long time between drinks.

|