Roll Call: Mercedes Sprinter Owners!

wisey
Fantasy
1380th
9/11/2020 8:03am
endurox wrote:
I bought a cargo van with max tow package, 3.5 twin turbo, and a few other options from a fleet dealership in Colorado. Saved thousands over...
I bought a cargo van with max tow package, 3.5 twin turbo, and a few other options from a fleet dealership in Colorado. Saved thousands over the local dealers. Spent about 1000 in materials to build up the way I want. I spent alot of time looking over the sprinter and transit on various forums. The first gen emissions(def issues) on the diesels are way to finicky for me at the point.
What are you towing and how does it do? I have the T350 15 passenger model with tow package. I removed all seats but the 2nd row 3 seater. It says 4800 pounds I but have yet to tow. I really only want a ~18 travel trailer at ~ 3500 pounds so it should work. My concern is the hitch is about 10” off the ground. When I get time I want to travel around, park the trailer, then have the van to hit different tracks in that area and on to the next spot.
wisey
Fantasy
1380th
9/11/2020 8:06am
Oh but the cup holders 4 per side, 8 pack 😁

ccullins
9/11/2020 8:07am
piscokid wrote:
Doing research on these things now.....The horror stories that go along with Sprinter's is enough for me to avoid those. The Ford engine (in the Transit)...
Doing research on these things now.....The horror stories that go along with Sprinter's is enough for me to avoid those. The Ford engine (in the Transit) is in other models (F150)

This was written in 2015 (a lifetime ago and I know MB made updates) but I have moto buddies that have dumped the Sprinter for the Transit. (One buddy had it go into limp mode on the way to LL! Almost missed practice waiting on service!)

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/fatal-flaw-mercedes-benz-sprinters-tom-r…

Tons of highway driving? The Sprinter would be fine, driving around town stop and go? I would be leery.

This is just my .02 and I see them all over, so who knows.....

That’s why I went with a Ford Transit. The 3.5 Eco boost motor is awesome! Pulls our old heavy horse trailer no problem when needed.

I’ve seen too many friends have too many problems with Sprinters to go that route. Plus the equivalent model Sprinter was going to be about 10k more. Sure a Sprinter does drive a little nicer, but what do you expect when comparing a Mercedes to a Ford?
However I couldn’t be happier with my Transit! It’s a year and one month old and have already put over 42,000 on it.
I built a simple wall and got a used fold down couch for the rear. I have less than $500 into the interior conversion and works great for our race rig.
ccullins
9/11/2020 8:13am
Motogoof wrote:
Just a quick question to sprinter in transit owners. There’s been many threads on here about pulling even a small 6 x 12 V nose trailer...
Just a quick question to sprinter in transit owners. There’s been many threads on here about pulling even a small 6 x 12 V nose trailer and how it murders fuel economy in a pick up. When you guys pull something small like that , and because of the size of the van does it do much to fuel economy?
Not sure about a trailer that small, but when I pull our old heavy horse trailer with our Transit it does kill fuel mileage. The van does do a great job of pulling it though!

The Shop

endurox
9/11/2020 8:27am
endurox wrote:
I bought a cargo van with max tow package, 3.5 twin turbo, and a few other options from a fleet dealership in Colorado. Saved thousands over...
I bought a cargo van with max tow package, 3.5 twin turbo, and a few other options from a fleet dealership in Colorado. Saved thousands over the local dealers. Spent about 1000 in materials to build up the way I want. I spent alot of time looking over the sprinter and transit on various forums. The first gen emissions(def issues) on the diesels are way to finicky for me at the point.
wisey wrote:
What are you towing and how does it do? I have the T350 15 passenger model with tow package. I removed all seats but the 2nd...
What are you towing and how does it do? I have the T350 15 passenger model with tow package. I removed all seats but the 2nd row 3 seater. It says 4800 pounds I but have yet to tow. I really only want a ~18 travel trailer at ~ 3500 pounds so it should work. My concern is the hitch is about 10” off the ground. When I get time I want to travel around, park the trailer, then have the van to hit different tracks in that area and on to the next spot.
Tow a Lance 1995 which ours loaded is close to 5300 pounds. The 400 ft pounds of torque at any elevation pulls our trailer great. No problem passing slower vehicles on 2 lane roads. Got the 10 speed and bigger gas tank for a bit extra range. Only thing I did to compensate for the 650 pound tongue weight is added Timbren suspension bottom out bumpers. The stock ones compress with your hand half way. Another tip is ecofins on the back of trailer and van. These really help with semi trucks passing the other direction on 2 way roads.

JBlain619
9/11/2020 8:33am
cwel11 wrote:
Just bought a Nissan NV high top for work and if I hit the lottery I’d buy another for moto in a heartbeat
HRoot11 wrote:
I second this, My parents own a Mercedes 2018 3500 sprinter and Nissan NV V8 2016 hightop. I've driven them both for daily drivers for months...
I second this, My parents own a Mercedes 2018 3500 sprinter and Nissan NV V8 2016 hightop. I've driven them both for daily drivers for months and I'll take the Nissan NV for how low maintenance it is. They have had zero problems with 300k miles on it! Sprinter has had a lot problems for 80k miles on it. The only thing good about sprinter is gas mileage and room it has everything else has been a nightmare on it. Maybe we just got a lemon sprinter tho.
moto67e wrote:
I bought a used NV a year ago and it's been great. $13k and it had 100K miles on it. I actually getting the cargo area...
I bought a used NV a year ago and it's been great. $13k and it had 100K miles on it. I actually getting the cargo area redone by Custom Upfits tomorrow for free. I won a contest they had on Instagram for a free motovan refresh. Really excited to see how it turns out. It's nice now but I'm sure it will be amazing when they're done. Here's a current picture.
Which NV do you have, 2500 or 3500? Post pics when its finished! Congrats!!!
moto67e
Fantasy
2724th
9/12/2020 10:29pm
JBlain619 wrote:
Which NV do you have, 2500 or 3500? Post pics when its finished! Congrats!!!
NV2500 V6. And thanks.
captmoto
9/13/2020 2:18pm
What is this eco fin your are talking about.
9/13/2020 2:27pm Edited Date/Time 9/13/2020 2:27pm
What's every ones experience with negotiating dealer pricing? How far are they willing to budge from the MSRP?
Demand is too high to expect any wiggle room on price. Whether you're buying a van already in inventory or ordering exactly what you want, you'll pay MSRP or close to it. They might have reduced prices on previous years inventory, but these may not be in a color and/or configuration you absolutely love.

Look to negotiate free services. At minimum you should expect to get one free Service A and one free Service B. Value: $1500-$2000. Try to negotiate for two of each. Mercedes also often has financing deals, like 0% APR for 60 months.

You'll likely pay MSRP + list price on any upgrades for a '20 or '21.
9/13/2020 2:31pm
What's every ones experience with negotiating dealer pricing? How far are they willing to budge from the MSRP?
Demand is too high to expect any wiggle room on price. Whether you're buying a van already in inventory or ordering exactly what you want, you'll...
Demand is too high to expect any wiggle room on price. Whether you're buying a van already in inventory or ordering exactly what you want, you'll pay MSRP or close to it. They might have reduced prices on previous years inventory, but these may not be in a color and/or configuration you absolutely love.

Look to negotiate free services. At minimum you should expect to get one free Service A and one free Service B. Value: $1500-$2000. Try to negotiate for two of each. Mercedes also often has financing deals, like 0% APR for 60 months.

You'll likely pay MSRP + list price on any upgrades for a '20 or '21.
Picking a 144 diesel up tomorrow or Tuesday! Got it for $2100 under MSRP so I'm pretty happy with that!
9/17/2020 3:38pm
I can't stop thinking about ideas! Picked up some wood and insulation for the floor so that's my first step once the rain stops! Have a water tank, pressure washer, fittings, etc on the way for an on board pressure washing setup. Next is figuring out the electrical side of things!

Shiftfaced
9/17/2020 3:45pm
Not a Sprinter, but this is the route I went.
Has a ton of storage, toilet, indoor and outdoor shower, flat screen TV, air conditioner, microwave, two twin beds (or a king), 3-way fridge, furnace and stove.

When I want to go “light”, I just put a bike on the rack. When I want to moto and mtb, I drag a small 4 x 8 trailer.

All in under $15,000.

9/17/2020 3:50pm
Where to start [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/09/17/449955/s1200_03D9C315_DA3E_422D_A254_880FF1EC4726.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/09/17/449956/s1200_8D519D56_359A_49E8_B1DA_1B030D9AD15A.jpg[/img]
Where to start

Did you just screw those into the wood floor or bolt all the way through the metal floor? I'm adding insulation and other 1/2" of plywood underneath. Stock floor is pretty thin and didn't seem like I'd get enough bite to screw shit into.
9/17/2020 5:51pm
O no, not mounted yet, just trying to figure out where stuffs gonna go. Bicycles , motorcycles, scoooter and blow up doll.

Post a reply to: Roll Call: Mercedes Sprinter Owners!

The Latest