Roger Decoster

SigPig
3/18/2019 5:46am
It wasn't that long ago when KTM fans were excited to see the orange bikes make the SX main and making a top 10 finish was celebrated.
deanwhite51
Fantasy
2582nd
3/18/2019 6:24am
1. JGR isn’t a full Factory Suzuki team.
2. Decosta wanted to stay at Suzuki but they didn’t want to keep him.
3. KTM bought Husky so people who wanted a KTM but hated KTM brand could buy the bike and it not be a KTM hahah
4. Decosta is the man because he is constantly getting funding and has access to improve the bikes and make them better each year unlike the other brands.

Decosta knows his shit and can do it all.
Hands down a absolute game changer when he had to leave Suzuki and got given the task of KTM. If it wasn’t for him going to KTM. There bikes wouldn’t even be in a main event or seen at race tracks
D_L118
3/18/2019 6:32am
You can't deny the impact Roger and Dungey had on KTM in America.
You also can't deny the role Everts had in europe with KTM, people seem to forget about that.
Bigfoot
3/18/2019 6:37am
gabrielito wrote:
Roger is overrated in the Chuck Norris / Bill Brasky sort of way.
You know that Chuck Norris wears Roger Decoster pajamas, don't you?

The Shop

RTDRacing
3/18/2019 6:40am
I wonder when he's going to make the KTM 250 as dominant as the 450?

1 rider in the top 10 in the West, and one rider in the top 10 in the east ( and it's a 10th place spot).
ruy
3/18/2019 10:46am

mx317
3/18/2019 11:04am
Moto man wrote:
Most overrated person in moto.
Park the quad and put down the beer, you have had enough.
SCR
3/18/2019 11:11am
JAFO92 wrote:
Roger has a lifetime of Factory level R&D in his head, from many brands, and takes that entire treasure trove everywhere he goes. He is just...
Roger has a lifetime of Factory level R&D in his head, from many brands, and takes that entire treasure trove everywhere he goes. He is just as comfortable and capable in a fully equipped machine shop as any Japanese engineer/tech and more hands-on than most people realize. Make no mistake, The Man knows the science of making a bike go fast and has proved it many times over.
I like that video someone did when he first went to KTM. Developing the 450 prototype. He's on the mill making parts and building a team when most people are retiring.

He stands alone in his accomplishments and contributions. I think a lot of young people don't realize how much of an influence he was to American motocross.
Nuffsaid
3/18/2019 1:10pm
KHI Guy wrote:
Everything Decoster touches turns to Gold. There's no other way to put it.
thorns wrote:
cough MXDN cough
KHI Guy wrote:
How many years in a row did the USA win as Roger as manager? Try again.
He’s been in charge of the USA camp for the last 7 years, try again
Nuffsaid
3/18/2019 1:15pm
1. JGR isn’t a full Factory Suzuki team. 2. Decosta wanted to stay at Suzuki but they didn’t want to keep him. 3. KTM bought Husky...
3. KTM bought Husky so people who wanted a KTM but hated KTM brand could buy the bike and it not be a KTM hahah
4. Decosta is the man because he is constantly getting funding and has access to improve the bikes and make them better each year unlike the other brands.

Hands down a absolute game changer when he had to leave Suzuki and got given the task of KTM. If it wasn’t for him going to KTM. There bikes wouldn’t even be in a main event or seen at race tracks
Sorry but Roger was getting to take credit for the season old R&D that Pit & DeCarli were sending to the market.
rob162
3/18/2019 1:23pm
thorns wrote:
cough MXDN cough
cason402 wrote:
You do know he won 6 MXdN's right? and led the USA to what 13 straight victories as team manager. A teams, B teams, tracks all...
You do know he won 6 MXdN's right?

and led the USA to what 13 straight victories as team manager.

A teams, B teams, tracks all over the world.

I don't think anyone would argue that Decoster is perfect. But, that's a combined record no one is going to get close to.
thorns wrote:
Cant dispute those facts. Also cant say everything turns to gold is all I am pointing out, last 7 years haven't, and in any other sport...
Cant dispute those facts.

Also cant say everything turns to gold is all I am pointing out, last 7 years haven't, and in any other sport a team manager that doesn't deliver the goods would be long gone.
Years with freak accidents, mechanical failires and some tracks that those guys A. Ride every year and B. Better at those specific terrains. Who are you going to bring in that's better?
Nuffsaid
3/18/2019 1:27pm
cason402 wrote:
You do know he won 6 MXdN's right? and led the USA to what 13 straight victories as team manager. A teams, B teams, tracks all...
You do know he won 6 MXdN's right?

and led the USA to what 13 straight victories as team manager.

A teams, B teams, tracks all over the world.

I don't think anyone would argue that Decoster is perfect. But, that's a combined record no one is going to get close to.
thorns wrote:
Cant dispute those facts. Also cant say everything turns to gold is all I am pointing out, last 7 years haven't, and in any other sport...
Cant dispute those facts.

Also cant say everything turns to gold is all I am pointing out, last 7 years haven't, and in any other sport a team manager that doesn't deliver the goods would be long gone.
rob162 wrote:
Years with freak accidents, mechanical failires and some tracks that those guys A. Ride every year and B. Better at those specific terrains. Who are you...
Years with freak accidents, mechanical failires and some tracks that those guys A. Ride every year and B. Better at those specific terrains. Who are you going to bring in that's better?
Maybe someone from France? They won one year with a team of a BMX rider, a supermotard rider and a rider that never set foot on a MX track the whole season ?
JAFO92
3/18/2019 8:07pm
1. JGR isn’t a full Factory Suzuki team. 2. Decosta wanted to stay at Suzuki but they didn’t want to keep him. 3. KTM bought Husky...

Not entirely accurate. Depends which 'Suzuki' you are talking about, (USA vs Japan), the specifics about what kind of deal he wanted and the kind of deal he was offered originally. Theres much more to that fiasco that most folks know about.
davistld01
3/18/2019 9:32pm
JAFO92 wrote:
Roger has a lifetime of Factory level R&D in his head, from many brands, and takes that entire treasure trove everywhere he goes. He is just...
Roger has a lifetime of Factory level R&D in his head, from many brands, and takes that entire treasure trove everywhere he goes. He is just as comfortable and capable in a fully equipped machine shop as any Japanese engineer/tech and more hands-on than most people realize. Make no mistake, The Man knows the science of making a bike go fast and has proved it many times over.
I’ve seen several pics of Roger in the KTM machine shop in the early Dungey-days grinding & machining away on the #5 factory bike, doing the improvements it needed. He’s probably forgotten more than most factory techs know about getting more usable power from an engine & frame geometry.
dirty1974
3/19/2019 2:09am
The way Jacky Martens runs his husky team is with about the same effort as Roger ! look at Thomas Covington now compared with last year ! Jacky is a freak just like Roger .
OldPro277
3/19/2019 12:39pm
Moto man wrote:
This quote should call for an automatic ban for life from this forum and ANYTHING else concerning Moto!!!!!. I had to read that multiple times to believe what I was reading.... Pure blaspheme in every sense of the word !!
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
3/19/2019 2:30pm

ruy
3/19/2019 3:59pm

JAFO92
3/19/2019 5:39pm
davistld01 wrote:
I’ve seen several pics of Roger in the KTM machine shop in the early Dungey-days grinding & machining away on the #5 factory bike, doing the...
I’ve seen several pics of Roger in the KTM machine shop in the early Dungey-days grinding & machining away on the #5 factory bike, doing the improvements it needed. He’s probably forgotten more than most factory techs know about getting more usable power from an engine & frame geometry.
You are 100% correct, especially in the early months when he first joined the team. He logged lots & lots of hours getting the shop set up and also like you alluded to, on the machines tweaking the Pumpkin personally. The stuff he did to improve the suspension alone was cutting edge and included the services of Danny Erdeljac, owner of Rio Bravo MX.
JAFO92
3/19/2019 5:40pm
GuyB wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/03/19/332943/s1200_031619pb029.jpg[/img]

Awesome picture Gibby.
3/19/2019 5:52pm
D_L118 wrote:
You can't deny the impact Roger and Dungey had on KTM in America. You also can't deny the role Everts had in europe with KTM, people...
You can't deny the impact Roger and Dungey had on KTM in America.
You also can't deny the role Everts had in europe with KTM, people seem to forget about that.
I would say KTM were well on their way before Everts even retired, over here anyway. The 125sxs was so sought after when Dobby won the title, managed to get one and it was in a different league to the cr125 I already raced. 2002 onwards the orange takeover started.
TeamGreen
3/19/2019 7:29pm
Moto man wrote:
BigMunster wrote:
I think you have him confused with Aldon.
I think you both need to realize...

Drugs are bad.
Mmmmm'kay?

3/19/2019 7:34pm
Moto man wrote:
BigMunster wrote:
I think you have him confused with Aldon.
TeamGreen wrote:
I think you both need to realize... Drugs are bad. Mmmmm'kay? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/03/19/332984/s1200_drugs_are_bad.jpg[/img]
I think you both need to realize...

Drugs are bad.
Mmmmm'kay?

Whats drugs got to do with?... Its my opinion.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
3/19/2019 8:13pm
KTM was going to be great in the US with or without Roger. Pit Bierer put together the plan and everyone else is following.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
3/19/2019 8:20pm

Number 4 made me lol. What funding is he bringing?

To say that ktm wouldn't even be in a main event is just stupid. The engineers and the GP team built the bikes, not Roger.

The one great thing Roger did for ktm was hire Dungey.

3/19/2019 8:31pm
I've said this before, but every time Roger gets brought up, it bears repeating.

All of my favorite bikes over the past 45 years, with the exception of my Maicos, have been influenced by Roger. He has had the magic touch, at least for my riding style.

I've been at this since 1971 and I have collected only 4 autographs...Barry Higgins, Gary Bailey, Roger DeCoster, and Ryan Dungey. All four have had a huge influence in growing the sport.

ruy
3/20/2019 1:57am

Forty
3/20/2019 8:26am

Totally prepared, totally confident, totally fit, nothing left to chance...

Post a reply to: Roger Decoster

The Latest