Roger DeCoster | The Inside Line Podcast

Related:
Create New Tag

9/15/2018 5:03 PM

If you listened to the podcast, you know what to do for a chance to win a set of Thor MX's Prime Pro gear. If not, you can catch it here and stop back by.

https://www.vitalmx.com/features/Roger-DeCoster-The-Inside-Line-Podcast,6212

|

9/16/2018 7:08 AM

Great job, Steve. I was hoping to hear him name someone that he hated racing against but he's just too professional. The sport has been very fortunate to have had someone of his caliber and class involved for so long. The Man didn't invent motocross but he does define it.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

9/16/2018 4:31 PM

Measured fella. Good listening, thanks

|

9/16/2018 4:39 PM

Thanks for this latest. Good questions, they sounded well thought out??

|

9/16/2018 5:48 PM

Did you catch the part of the podcast where I said you could win a set of new Thor Prime Pro gear?

|

9/17/2018 12:13 PM

That was good.

|

9/17/2018 12:47 PM

GuyB wrote:

Did you catch the part of the podcast where I said you could win a set of new Thor Prime Pro gear?

Yup, but never caught the details later on in the podcast. But I wear 32/medium. Thanks ?

|

9/17/2018 1:04 PM

I enjoyed his answer to "What more would you like to accomplish?" and what he had to say about the manufacturers already paying too much for racing. It'll be a bummer when he finally retires.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

9/17/2018 1:13 PM

As long as I’ve been in this sport of motorized two wheelers, 50 years, Roger has been a force and leader. Not to mention winning at every path he’s chosen within the dirt bike world. After all these years I’m still impressed, thanks for the interview.

|

9/18/2018 8:08 AM

Another excellent podcast. I enjoy the low key approach, with the thoughtful questions and letting the subject do most of the talking. I thought his not so subtle hint that Feld should share more of the SX wealth with the riders was right on point.

As far as Roger goes; hard to add anything that hasn't been been said but I have a story that exemplifies RDs passion and commitment to our sport. Late 70' s- Omaha Nebraska Trans-Am race. My little brother had been running around all day getting riders to autograph his race program but hadn't been able to catch up to Roger. After the race he had to head home so a buddy of mine took his program and walked through the pits one last time while everyone was packing up their box vans. This was a few hours post race and the place was pretty much empty. However over at the Suzuki truck Roger was still there, still in his dirty gear, and still signing autographs and speaking to very fan who came by. I can imagine he was dying for a cold beer and a shower but my friend said he stayed until almost dark and every last fan was gone. My brother got his favorite riders autograph and we still have that program. Fast forward 40+ years to 2018. The same friend who was able to get the autograph back in the day an I were at Hangtown then headed to the Sac Mile. At the halftime 'pit walk' we noticed Roger was in the pits of one of the KTM riders in the singles class (I think they are starting a factory program for that series). 99% of the folks crowding the pits didn't know who he was and he hung in the background talking to the rider and his mechanic. We asked someone in the pit to get his attention so we could get our photo with him. Roger was so low key and humble and you could tell that he didn't want to take any of the attention away from the rider. It had been a pretty long day for him already but he didn't look a bit tired. For a guy his age that's impressive.

If there is anyone in our sport who has 'earned' the right to be a bit arrogant it's Roger, however he is anything but. Roger is an icon of our sport and to many of us he still IS motocross. GuyB - thanks for the trip down memory lane.

|

“Anything that gets your blood pumping is probably worth doing”

Hunter S Thompson

9/18/2018 9:38 AM

Always a great interview, always so candid. Great to hear him explaining the reason behind the move away from Suzuki.

Cheers
Simon

|

9/18/2018 2:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/18/2018 2:59 PM

What a great interview! Tough to pick a favorite portion between his old school stories, and more recent switch from Suzuki and days at KTM.
Thanks GB and hope to see you on a sunny October weekend at REDDD BUUUUUDDDDD!!!

|

9/18/2018 5:53 PM

Great podcast. He seems like a guy that's seen everything so he doesn't get too excited.

|

Care Factor Zero

9/18/2018 7:43 PM

GuyB, I never post much but I have to say I really enjoyed listening to the interview. You did a great job with the questions for Roger.

|

9/20/2018 10:37 AM

Nice Job Guy-b , Wonder who the rider is that didn't win but bragged He wasn't tired. ha ha.

I had a rider tell me one time if He ever got a ride like Pro Circuit he would start trying harder, I walked away thinking WTF.

|

9/20/2018 11:18 AM

dunerider209 wrote:

GuyB, I never post much but I have to say I really enjoyed listening to the interview. You did a great job with the questions ...more

Thanks. It was fun chatting with him.

I'll admit, Roger might have been the only guy back in the day that I asked for an autograph. I had a USGP hat that he signed for me at the L.A. Coliseum.

|

9/20/2018 11:22 AM

500guy wrote:

Nice Job Guy-b , Wonder who the rider is that didn't win but bragged He wasn't tired. ha ha.

I had a rider tell me one time ...more

Thanks, Jay.

I'm not sure who he was talking about, and didn't want to ask directly. I learned quite a while ago not to ask Roger to answer a question that you didn't want an honest answer to.

Try harder if...? Yeah, that's not the kind of thing you'd want to hear from a rider.

|

9/20/2018 2:24 PM

Excellent interview. I have always thought that Roger DeCoster is the only person on earth that I would ask for an autograph. This interview further confirmed that thought. Thanks.

|

9/21/2018 4:18 PM

Legend great to get as many podcasts from him as possible, How do you win gear ?
I havent had new gear Since 2002

|

9/21/2018 9:48 PM

Does Roger still ride?

|

9/25/2018 3:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/25/2018 3:54 AM

I was struck by Roger's choice of ignition and carburetion as the really superior facets of his first works Suzuki, apart from the light weight. Guess he was tired of points/condenser issues and Jikov/Bing vagaries--clean jetting would certainly have mattered when riding the 500cc class on those tracks. Never, ever heard him remark that in all these decades of interviews--good question you asked there, GuyB. I thought the internal rotor Femsa CDI ignition for CZs was available in the States by 1971, but that doesn't mean the factory used it successfully the year before.

It's worth noting that Harry Klemm says a factory-trained CZ mechanic pretty much threw Harry out of his shop when Harry tried to discuss the air leaks he'd discovered plaguing Rex Staten's bike in 1975; Klemm says most any CZ has got air leaks unless somebody's addressed them, so most CZs are jetted wrong to cover for the problem, regardless of carb brand. Probably drove a precise rider like RD nuts. Around 1976, Gaston Rahier remarked that the factory CZs were very fast the first 30 minutes, then started misfiring; he thought it was the ignitions going bad, but Klemm's observation points to air leaks as the undiagnosed problem. No doubt a relief for Roger to get away from that sort of thing and be encouraged to develop a bike.

|

9/26/2018 9:11 PM

That was great! How did they run 45+2 laps on those tiny gas tanks?

|

9/28/2018 4:55 PM

motomad724 wrote:

What a great interview! Tough to pick a favorite portion between his old school stories, and more recent switch from Suzuki ...more

Hey, guess what? You followed the instructions, AND you're the random pick to win the set of Thor gear.

Fire me off an email with your address, sizes, colors, and name and number that you want for the back of the jersey. sgiberson@vitalmx.com

|

9/28/2018 7:50 PM

Only 18 people on the gate and I still can't win.silly

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

10/1/2018 8:34 AM

motomad724 wrote:

What a great interview! Tough to pick a favorite portion between his old school stories, and more recent switch from Suzuki ...more

GuyB wrote:

Hey, guess what? You followed the instructions, AND you're the random pick to win the set of Thor gear.

Fire me off an email ...more

Much appreciated GuyB! Email sent yesterday.
I may not have won many motos in my life, but I'm a 'real winner' now... Thanks again for the great interview, and for the sweet gear!!!
I'll be on the lookout for you this weekend at the MXdN w00t

|