Roger D talks about the new Factory Edition 450 SX-F

smrscott
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 11:49am
Got to see touch, smell and shoot the race bike in the shop - and talk a little about it with Mr DeCoster

http://www.motocross.com/uncategorized/roger-d-speaks/
|
SL91
12/19/2011 1:27pm
I'm getting all wiggly about Anaheim 1 Wink
kongols
12/19/2011 1:31pm
Can somebody embed it, I can not open that link.
12/19/2011 1:34pm
Bad link
jndmx
12/19/2011 1:40pm
Try it now....looks like the site was down for a little bit.

The Shop

smrscott
12/19/2011 1:41pm
Link is fine - the site must have farted for a moment
IWreckALot
12/19/2011 2:03pm
I love the straight forward answers. I didn't hear any mystery in anything he said. He admitted that he doesn't know where the bike will be but he's hoping for the best. And he didn't give a half answer about Musquin and Roczen racing 350's on the opposite coast. I haven't been around long enough to say I know Decoster from his racing days but I definetly like what he is doing at KTM.

A-1 will be interesting. Dungey wasn't far off RV's pace at the MEC and to be on a new bike, surely it was better than the demo bike he was on at the MEC.
blair683
12/19/2011 2:06pm
Dungey was very smart choosing KTM seems that these guys would do anything he asks for. I mean they built a completely new factory bike for him. The downside is now the pressure is on because I think they are hungry for a championship and they expect him to bring it home for them.
gsxr6
12/19/2011 2:10pm
a win this year and top 3 in standings in 450 sx and outdoors would be a resounding success.
bullpen58
12/19/2011 2:13pm
gsxr6 wrote:
a win this year and top 3 in standings in 450 sx and outdoors would be a resounding success.
Bingo!
WhKnuckle
12/19/2011 2:16pm
IMO, Roger is absolutely the best team manager in motocross, hands down. I don't remember the details, but I recall one interview with Roger in which he said he didn't try to get RC to come to Suzuki in '02 or '03 because he didn't think their bike was good enough yet. Most managers want the top rider on whatever bike they have - Roger knows better. He knows, from sad experience, that a team has to be on top of its game when they go after that star rider, and if that star rider fails on your team, it's going to look real bad.
SL91
12/19/2011 2:28pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
IMO, Roger is absolutely the best team manager in motocross, hands down. I don't remember the details, but I recall one interview with Roger in which...
IMO, Roger is absolutely the best team manager in motocross, hands down. I don't remember the details, but I recall one interview with Roger in which he said he didn't try to get RC to come to Suzuki in '02 or '03 because he didn't think their bike was good enough yet. Most managers want the top rider on whatever bike they have - Roger knows better. He knows, from sad experience, that a team has to be on top of its game when they go after that star rider, and if that star rider fails on your team, it's going to look real bad.
I agree with this^^^
mtnr
12/19/2011 3:00pm
Electric start in supercross seems like a no brainer. Nice interview.
ocscottie
12/19/2011 3:06pm
I wish my garage looked like this, sano...

tobz
12/19/2011 3:09pm
ocscottie wrote:
I wish my garage looked like this, sano... [img]http://www.motocross.com/files/2011/12/ktm4503.jpg[/img]

Now that is when i wouldn't mind owning a fourstroke, every night at my house

"just going to change the oil hunny"

"just going to check the valves"
bwh998
12/19/2011 3:50pm
awesome, thanks for posting.
Pdub
12/19/2011 4:04pm
mtnr wrote:
Electric start in supercross seems like a no brainer. Nice interview.
Unfortunately, there are a lot of "no-brainers" in supercross. :p
Flip109
12/19/2011 4:16pm
blair683 wrote:
Dungey was very smart choosing KTM seems that these guys would do anything he asks for. I mean they built a completely new factory bike for...
Dungey was very smart choosing KTM seems that these guys would do anything he asks for. I mean they built a completely new factory bike for him. The downside is now the pressure is on because I think they are hungry for a championship and they expect him to bring it home for them.
I think dungey expects a championship from himself even more than KTM does. Can't wait for A1 to see what he can really do on this new bike. Wish we could see his lap times from those first six days on the bike compared to now.
smrscott
12/19/2011 9:06pm
I guess if you want a production version of Dungey's race bike you better head to a dealer and toss down some $. They said some will hit dealers March 1st. No word on how much the Factory Edition will cost.

12/19/2011 9:10pm
Already tried that. Not sure if they know anything yet. I put a deposit on a 2012, but would like the Factory Edition if I can get it. My dealer thinks it may be later that they see it, if they can even get one. It doesnt matter too much to me, Im happy with either.
12/19/2011 9:22pm
ocscottie wrote:
I wish my garage looked like this, sano... [img]http://www.motocross.com/files/2011/12/ktm4503.jpg[/img]

each one of those stalls belongs to a mechanic, and no mechanic wants their stall to look any dirtier than the guy next to him.

peer pressure, bro.
Faceaz
12/19/2011 9:40pm
That's a great move calling it a Limited Factory Edition. Beats the hell out of 2012.5 or a way early 2013.
WORCSRacer
12/19/2011 10:25pm
smrscott wrote:
I guess if you want a production version of Dungey's race bike you better head to a dealer and toss down some $. They said some...
I guess if you want a production version of Dungey's race bike you better head to a dealer and toss down some $. They said some will hit dealers March 1st. No word on how much the Factory Edition will cost.

I'm thinking something around $10,499...
mxgeoff
12/20/2011 1:16am
blair683 wrote:
Dungey was very smart choosing KTM seems that these guys would do anything he asks for. I mean they built a completely new factory bike for...
I don't think they expect a Championship from Dungey. I think they expect him to be competative and win some races. Of course a Championship would be the icing on the cake, but I think their first priority is having a KTM on the box often, that will do wonders for bike sales and at the end of the day that is all they really want.
PressPassP
12/20/2011 2:20am
blair683 wrote:
mxgeoff wrote:
I don't think they expect a Championship from Dungey. I think they expect him to be competative and win some races. Of course a Championship would...
I don't think they expect a Championship from Dungey. I think they expect him to be competative and win some races. Of course a Championship would be the icing on the cake, but I think their first priority is having a KTM on the box often, that will do wonders for bike sales and at the end of the day that is all they really want.
Agreed,It shouldn't really be much else than a success,Dungey is a class act and as long as he is up there,signing him means KTM finally get a contender and make their way in the US.They're proven in Europe,I think its only a matter of time before the same goes for the US.

With Roczen on the 250 as well it should be a breakthrough year (and shut the KTM haters up tooSmile )
WhKnuckle
12/20/2011 2:49am
PressPassP wrote:
Agreed,It shouldn't really be much else than a success,Dungey is a class act and as long as he is up there,signing him means KTM finally get...
Agreed,It shouldn't really be much else than a success,Dungey is a class act and as long as he is up there,signing him means KTM finally get a contender and make their way in the US.They're proven in Europe,I think its only a matter of time before the same goes for the US.

With Roczen on the 250 as well it should be a breakthrough year (and shut the KTM haters up tooSmile )
I can't figure out how anyone can be a KTM hater. KTM is the only major factory that seems to care about motocross at all. They're the only ones who are inventive, creative, progressive, willing to make niche bikes; how can anyone hate that?
RaceFace
12/20/2011 4:42am
PressPassP wrote:
Agreed,It shouldn't really be much else than a success,Dungey is a class act and as long as he is up there,signing him means KTM finally get...

WhKnuckle wrote:
I can't figure out how anyone can be a KTM hater. KTM is the only major factory that seems to care about motocross at all. They're...
I can't figure out how anyone can be a KTM hater. KTM is the only major factory that seems to care about motocross at all. They're the only ones who are inventive, creative, progressive, willing to make niche bikes; how can anyone hate that?
As someone who might be deemed a KTM hater, I think I can answer this. First, I like KTM Roger D and Dungey....have actually been accused at times of being a Dungey "fanboy". My favorite bike I've had was a KTM. I would buy a KTM again and they make great bikes.

The problem is there appears to be KTM "fanboys". Fanboys of anything tend to turn people off to those things. I personally have found it a little sickening how people have been talking about KTM and hyping every move the brand makes. The following are general thinking of some KTM fanboys.

-First, the 350 was going to revolutionize MX and have the other manufacturers scrambling to make a 350 to keep up.

-Mike Alessi was going to dominate on it and win an outdoor title. He would have no problem pulling as many holeshots on it as he did on the Suzuki.

-The general consensus is that Mitch Payton's days are numbered now that KTM is going to go with a 1-2 sweep of every 250f National.

-Dungey will be faster on the KTM this year than he has been on the Suzuki.

Now in this thread there have been some more objective sensible thoughts about Dungey, KTM, and all. But realize there is a lot of KTM banter out there that is far from objective and much more fanboyish. That being said, I'm sure there are plenty of people that just do hate KTM. I guess it's like a Stewart fan not understanding how anyone could not like him.
T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
12/20/2011 5:01am
smrscott wrote:
I guess if you want a production version of Dungey's race bike you better head to a dealer and toss down some $. They said some...

WORCSRacer wrote:
I'm thinking something around $10,499...
I'm thinking higher. I'd say in the 15k range, maybe more.

Back in 2008, KTM was selling MDK replica bikes for $15,000. They had some really, really nice things on them. Full FMF exhaust, full Hinson clutches, SXS suspension (they'd even re-valve it for your ability), and many other sweet things. In the end, the asking price was a really fair deal for the buyer. I remember the fork tubes being huge and wish I had that suspension on my 450!
Predator
12/20/2011 6:17am
PressPassP wrote:

WhKnuckle wrote:
I can't figure out how anyone can be a KTM hater. KTM is the only major factory that seems to care about motocross at all. They're...
RaceFace wrote:
As someone who might be deemed a KTM hater, I think I can answer this. First, I like KTM Roger D and Dungey....have actually been accused...
As someone who might be deemed a KTM hater, I think I can answer this. First, I like KTM Roger D and Dungey....have actually been accused at times of being a Dungey "fanboy". My favorite bike I've had was a KTM. I would buy a KTM again and they make great bikes.

The problem is there appears to be KTM "fanboys". Fanboys of anything tend to turn people off to those things. I personally have found it a little sickening how people have been talking about KTM and hyping every move the brand makes. The following are general thinking of some KTM fanboys.

-First, the 350 was going to revolutionize MX and have the other manufacturers scrambling to make a 350 to keep up.

-Mike Alessi was going to dominate on it and win an outdoor title. He would have no problem pulling as many holeshots on it as he did on the Suzuki.

-The general consensus is that Mitch Payton's days are numbered now that KTM is going to go with a 1-2 sweep of every 250f National.

-Dungey will be faster on the KTM this year than he has been on the Suzuki.

Now in this thread there have been some more objective sensible thoughts about Dungey, KTM, and all. But realize there is a lot of KTM banter out there that is far from objective and much more fanboyish. That being said, I'm sure there are plenty of people that just do hate KTM. I guess it's like a Stewart fan not understanding how anyone could not like him.
Your making it sound like KTM fans are the only ones that get excited about new changes to the bike, personel or riders. EVERY manufacture does this...

"-First, the 350 was going to revolutionize MX and have the other manufacturers scrambling to make a 350 to keep up."
I for one never thought this bike would revolutionize the industry. Great for AM's and weekend warriors yes... but top pros? no.

"Mike Alessi was going to dominate on it and win an outdoor title. He would have no problem pulling as many holeshots on it as he did on the Suzuki."
I never heard he would "dominate" on this bike. And again... KTM has never really had a "top" rider and Alessi was the closest thing we had to that so yes we thought we would do well. Again any manufacture would get excited if a top guy was on their bike.

"-The general consensus is that Mitch Payton's days are numbered now that KTM is going to go with a 1-2 sweep of every 250f National."
This is 100% false. I've never once heard on here or any where else that this would happen. Nobody is that foolish to think otherwise.

"Dungey will be faster on the KTM this year than he has been on the Suzuki."
Again... I don't remember reading any where that people said he would be "faster" on the KTM than his zook.

These in my eyes are not valid points as to why people "hate" on KTM. I completely agree with WhKnuckle on this arguement and don't understand how anybody can hate on KTM knowing what they continue to do in MX/SX. If it wasn't for them we would all be riding "out dated" bikes right now. They are forcing all of the other manufactures to improve their bike so they don't get further left behind.

Post a reply to: Roger D talks about the new Factory Edition 450 SX-F

The Latest