Roger Brown

moore433
Edited Date/Time 7/30/2015 6:06pm
Does anyone remember a guy Roger Brown that raced the old track in Austin Tx in the 70's??
I was pitiful slow on a 80 at the time and the amateurs would race in the morning and intermediate and pro in the afternoon.
He would race all 3 pro classes 125, 250 & 500 on 3 different brands of bikes and was blazing fast!!!! I remember standing on the whooped out hill going from the back of the track to the front and the ground would shake from these guys hitting the holes in the hill.
It was great sitting and watching the advanced riders race with full 40 + pros on every gate drop. Just like watching a national every time they raced!!!! Aw, the good old days ....

I'd go home after the races and play like I was Roger with my little motorcycle toys I had.
Thanks for the great races to watch as a kid Roger...
|
Zoom
7/30/2015 3:47pm
moore433 wrote:
Does anyone remember a guy Roger Brown that raced the old track in Austin Tx in the 70's?? I was pitiful slow on a 80 at...
Does anyone remember a guy Roger Brown that raced the old track in Austin Tx in the 70's??
I was pitiful slow on a 80 at the time and the amateurs would race in the morning and intermediate and pro in the afternoon.
He would race all 3 pro classes 125, 250 & 500 on 3 different brands of bikes and was blazing fast!!!! I remember standing on the whooped out hill going from the back of the track to the front and the ground would shake from these guys hitting the holes in the hill.
It was great sitting and watching the advanced riders race with full 40 + pros on every gate drop. Just like watching a national every time they raced!!!! Aw, the good old days ....

I'd go home after the races and play like I was Roger with my little motorcycle toys I had.
I remember Roger well. Had some killer battles with him when he made a comeback in the early 80's. We went back and forth at 2 rounds of the Texas Series in the 250 expert class. One at Lake Whitney that included Dennis Hawthorne. The other one was on one of my best days at Rio Bravo. I holeshot and we gaped the field. He stocked me for about 7 laps and finally made his move.

I never talked to him, but I don't think he talked much to other riders. I just remember him being a fast country boy from Central Texas.

I know he made some Supercross Main's back in the 70's and then some outdoor nationals 70's and 80's. I have no idea where he is today.
davistld01
7/30/2015 3:55pm Edited Date/Time 7/30/2015 3:58pm
I remember Roger racing KTMs back in '77 or so. I raced with him at Rio Bravo & perhaps at Lake Whitney too. He was faster than I was, but so were a lot of people. I think I remember him riding a CanAm too for a while.

Damn, Zoom...I haven't thought about the Austin track in years! I never raced there, but I had friends in Austin back in the day that did and I spent a few Sundays there. Do you remember Cloverfield?

Do you remember the H&H Music race team in Houston?
moore433
7/30/2015 3:58pm
I think he raced Penton, Can Am and something else.. Those were some good days watching you guys rip it up !!!!
moore433
7/30/2015 4:01pm Edited Date/Time 7/30/2015 4:04pm
That track along the river was awesome !!! I hated the front sand part of the track because I couldn't ride it for nothing, but I loved the other side by the river, that half was sooooooooo much fun!!!

I broke my leg pretty bad on the Rio Bravo night track coming down the over under tunnel jump...

The Shop

davistld01
7/30/2015 4:04pm Edited Date/Time 7/30/2015 4:05pm
moore433 wrote:
I think he raced Penton, Can Am and something else.. Those were some good days watching you guys rip it up !!!!
I remember the H&H Music race team with guys like Steve Hackney, Robert Tuggle & a guy named "Diamond" Don Rainey. They started out of Cycle Shack in Houston riding Husqvarnas and Pentons. I was on a Penton then too...but was never good enough to be in that bunch, but rode a '74 Husky for Cycle Shack for a while, because Steves dad hooked me up. Seems to me that Roger rode Huskys for a while too...

Yeah, those were good times. And, yeah...this makes me feel really old. Blink
moore433
7/30/2015 4:14pm
I use to love going to the Cycle Shack as a kid. Always had cool stuff there..
Sorry for making you feel old buddy...
mb60
7/30/2015 4:34pm
moore433 wrote:
Are you talking about Roger Brown that finished top 10 at the Whitney National in 1983 ? I remember being there as a kid and of course the 125 class with Ward,Barnett,O'mara and Lechien. I cheered on Roger Brown and Kirk Spencer that day.
moore433
7/30/2015 4:46pm
moore433 wrote:
mb60 wrote:
Are you talking about Roger Brown that finished top 10 at the Whitney National in 1983 ? I remember being there as a kid and of...
Are you talking about Roger Brown that finished top 10 at the Whitney National in 1983 ? I remember being there as a kid and of course the 125 class with Ward,Barnett,O'mara and Lechien. I cheered on Roger Brown and Kirk Spencer that day.
I don't know , I was out of the sport from 80-85.
BobbyM
7/30/2015 5:31pm
moore433 wrote:
Does anyone remember a guy Roger Brown that raced the old track in Austin Tx in the 70's?? I was pitiful slow on a 80 at...

I remember him and raced against quite a few times on the nats and the sx series. dude was damn fast too. I think he won the Toyota tower jump contest and the 500 bucks that went with it at the Oakland sx in 79
moore433
7/30/2015 5:40pm Edited Date/Time 7/30/2015 5:41pm
That's cool, thanks for sharing guys !!
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
7/30/2015 6:06pm
moore433 wrote:
mb60 wrote:
Are you talking about Roger Brown that finished top 10 at the Whitney National in 1983 ? I remember being there as a kid and of...
moore433 wrote:
I don't know , I was out of the sport from 80-85.
Pokey?

Post a reply to: Roger Brown

The Latest