Rode a Zero tonight.

teggers
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 12:24pm
I got to do a few minutes in a field tonight at one of my shows on a 2009 Zero MX bike. I liked it very much.

The bike was not very good, although they told me the OH-10 model has some of these complaints fixed....

It is an Electric pit bike that could run circles around Honda 80's (maybe)....It has no business being on an MX track for open practice, unless it is in the mini class. The throttle was very unresponsive. Like a .5 sec delay from when you twist til when it goes. Exactly like a loose throttle cable...no shit. Honestly, I checked to see if the fittings were loose while I was riding it. NOPE! But when the power hit, it was like my 94 RM 250 with a huge port job (without the power)....just no grace. On/Off. Hard pack slick and I will need a Amberlamps. I tried a few starts with it and it was like starting off at a go cart track. You gas it and eventually you start moving. No chance of tire spin.

The size of the bike was very much like a CRF150. Same style of power.......kind of.....where is it? Very linear. It just starts moving and keep going faster....no hit at all. It cannot spin the tire at all, unless you unweight the back. It would be useless in the sand at Bithlo.....

Overall? I LOVE it!

10 Grand? Wouldn't buy one. $2499...maybe.

I have been working with batteries a lot lately and I understand what is in the future.....With power, will come maturity. It will happen.

10 Years? You all will be riding one. It will be your only choice. Invest now.

It is the future.
|
MXR
4/10/2010 12:48am
Mike Alessi will be racing one at the Glen Helen GP .
DrSweden
4/10/2010 1:33am
teggers wrote:
I got to do a few minutes in a field tonight at one of my shows on a 2009 Zero MX bike. I liked it very...
I got to do a few minutes in a field tonight at one of my shows on a 2009 Zero MX bike. I liked it very much.

The bike was not very good, although they told me the OH-10 model has some of these complaints fixed....

It is an Electric pit bike that could run circles around Honda 80's (maybe)....It has no business being on an MX track for open practice, unless it is in the mini class. The throttle was very unresponsive. Like a .5 sec delay from when you twist til when it goes. Exactly like a loose throttle cable...no shit. Honestly, I checked to see if the fittings were loose while I was riding it. NOPE! But when the power hit, it was like my 94 RM 250 with a huge port job (without the power)....just no grace. On/Off. Hard pack slick and I will need a Amberlamps. I tried a few starts with it and it was like starting off at a go cart track. You gas it and eventually you start moving. No chance of tire spin.

The size of the bike was very much like a CRF150. Same style of power.......kind of.....where is it? Very linear. It just starts moving and keep going faster....no hit at all. It cannot spin the tire at all, unless you unweight the back. It would be useless in the sand at Bithlo.....

Overall? I LOVE it!

I have been working with batteries a lot lately and I understand what is in the future.....With power, will come maturity. It will happen.

It is the future.
Tnx for the report. I suggest your review is the closest to the truth I have ever read. Seems like these bikes are not ready yet for the consumers, but soon they will be.
GHR
4/10/2010 1:37am
teggers wrote:
I got to do a few minutes in a field tonight at one of my shows on a 2009 Zero MX bike. I liked it very...

Overall? I LOVE it!

It is the future.
whaaaa?

wow

"I liked it, the bike was not very good, I LOVE it, wouldnt buy one, 2499 Maybe"

did I just land on mars? hahaha, teggers, bro this was an amazing read, or not.

Have a great weekend, or dont.

GHR
4/10/2010 1:39am Edited Date/Time 4/10/2010 1:40am
hahaha DR Sweden, you read the same article I read right? is it opposite day in Stockholm?

The Shop

Electro21
Fantasy
75th
4/10/2010 1:50am
Good report even though you did contradict yourself a few times. I can't wait to try out an electric bike.

" I liked it very much.

I guess you can like a bike even if it isn't any good.

I can't wait to see how the KTM version compares.
teggers
4/10/2010 1:57am Edited Date/Time 4/10/2010 2:07am
Electro21 wrote:
Good report even though you did contradict yourself a few times. I can't wait to try out an electric bike. " I liked it very much...
Good report even though you did contradict yourself a few times. I can't wait to try out an electric bike.

" I liked it very much.

I guess you can like a bike even if it isn't any good.

I can't wait to see how the KTM version compares.
Yes I did contradict myself. The bike is a contradiction. So many mixed feelings. Is it race-able? No. Can it allow you to have fun riding "motor" cycles? You bet. I'm just happy tonight that I got to ride one and know what we are discussing. I kinda know what an MX bike should be.
Electro21
Fantasy
75th
4/10/2010 2:15am Edited Date/Time 4/10/2010 2:25am
Cool. I didn't mean to insult you, I figure it would be to hard to explain the experience on of those. I can't wait for the chance to try one out. I don't know what a mx bike should be since I suck at mx, I just like to ride.

I work in the electrical field, even though it is not vehicle related I am aware of the techonology that is becoming available, so I am getting excited about the elcetric mx bikes.
BobbyM
4/10/2010 5:28am
MXR wrote:
i heard you'll be riding one late into the evening with that optional attachment...have fun.
creed
4/10/2010 5:59am
Australian MX Championships Race Director Kevin Williams rode one in Murray Bridge last year and he seemed to go ok wheelspin at times and Jumped a couple of doubles etc. Ando wizzed around the pits on one and all riders seemed to enjoy.

Definately wasn't race ready but I dont think it will be too long especially as Kevin has suggested 2011 Electric MX Championships may happen in Australia.
jasonward73
4/10/2010 6:25am
I rode one in a parking lot during bike week at a demo set up. Your review was spot on. It seems more like an electric mountain bike vs an electric MX bike. I bet it would be fun on a mountain bike trail if you could learn to manage the "throttle".

Jason
slowvet
4/10/2010 7:05am
Fixed the throttle delay, just keep it pinned and rely on the brakes more.
4/10/2010 7:14am
MXR wrote:
BobbyM wrote:
i heard you'll be riding one late into the evening with that optional attachment...have fun.
Dudes, thats just dam funny.....
umagumadog
4/10/2010 7:21am
MXR wrote:
BobbyM wrote:
jmar
4/10/2010 8:02am
I think KTM will have a good electric MX style bike out in another two or three years.
XBUTCHX
4/10/2010 8:57am
MXR wrote:
BobbyM wrote:
HAA HAA!
ns503
4/10/2010 9:04am
Rhr143 wrote:
How many strokes is it????????
It's a no-stroke.
XBUTCHX
4/10/2010 9:11am
"It was a pile of crap, but I loved it"..... "It was realy slow, like and 80, but it felt like a RM 250" .... "It was a peice of shit , and in 10 years you'll be on one"... Great report Teggers! JK man!WoohooLaughing
Cygnus
4/10/2010 9:26am
XBUTCHX wrote:
"It was a pile of crap, but I loved it"..... "It was realy slow, like and 80, but it felt like a RM 250" .... "It...
"It was a pile of crap, but I loved it"..... "It was realy slow, like and 80, but it felt like a RM 250" .... "It was a peice of shit , and in 10 years you'll be on one"... Great report Teggers! JK man!WoohooLaughing
Are you sure that isn't a Harley report?
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
4/10/2010 9:32am
So what did they say they were fixing for the 2010 models?
XBUTCHX
4/10/2010 9:34am
XBUTCHX wrote:
"It was a pile of crap, but I loved it"..... "It was realy slow, like and 80, but it felt like a RM 250" .... "It...
Cygnus wrote:
Are you sure that isn't a Harley report?

You Bastard!Laughing
hartebreak
Fantasy
169th
4/10/2010 9:46am
in 1 part you say it hits like your ported 94 RM with an ON/OFF 125ish type of power band. Then you said the bike is very linear with "hot hit at all". Im a little confused.
line-up
4/10/2010 10:28am
teggers wrote:

Overall? I LOVE it!

It is the future.
I do prefer the new QUANTYA
DrSweden
4/10/2010 10:43am
GHR wrote:
hahaha DR Sweden, you read the same article I read right? is it opposite day in Stockholm?
Ha, yeah I noticed some part where a bit odd, and me absorbing it like that was a bit to fast on my behalf. What I was trying to say was that it became clear for me that the bike isn't ready for myself, which all the other "journalists" haven't really said. Sure Teggers then said he kind of loved it, but I ignore that!

teggers
4/10/2010 11:41am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:02pm
slowvet wrote:
Fixed the throttle delay, just keep it pinned and rely on the brakes more.
That's what they said was better on the 2010. Not gone, but better.

The 94 RM reference was when the power does come on, it is like a 0 - 30% instant hit. You can't roll the power on easily. I tried to do some power slides in the grass and when the power hits, it just throws you off balance. I t might be due to the delay. You keep gassin it and finally when it responds, you are at 30 or 50 %.

Using the brakes would be the ride choice for sure. They are very small. Might overheat.

If there were no loud MX bikes, this is what you would ride.,,,,on hardpack. I'm tellin' ya, 10 years.....

Post a reply to: Rode a Zero tonight.

The Latest