Roczens Free Pass

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
1/18/2018 9:55am
That's like asking when they're going to stop playing his intro video at the races, where it's all about the crash and recovery. It's part of his story at the moment, but it's not the only story.

In the post-race press conference last week, there wasn't much focus on his arm. I think the press guys who see him weekly (and have talked to him at the Honda intro, and seen him in action at the first two rounds) have gotten beyond it by what he's shown us.

Can he ride again? Check.
Is he up to speed? Check.
Can he last a whole main? Check.
Scored his first podium of the season? Check.

About the only box unchecked yet is a win. I have a feeling he'll check that one sooner rather than later.
tingo
1/18/2018 10:22am
tingo wrote:
Career-ending injury? He broke his arm and missed the rest of SX and one season one MX. ALL of these guys break bones and/or destroy joints...
Career-ending injury? He broke his arm and missed the rest of SX and one season one MX. ALL of these guys break bones and/or destroy joints and come back. Add me to the camp of over hearing about it. Yes, it was a gnarly break and the compartment syndrome is what got really scary, but this would not be nearly as big of a story as it is without all the gory pics that KR posted. Don't get wrong, I'm glad he posted the pics, but there are plenty of other dudes that mangled themselves up and came back without all this attention. It's the total opposite of "pics or it didn't happen."
So without pics it wouldn't have been as bad as Kenny made out...with the pics it's not as bad as Kenny made out... Guys at all...
So without pics it wouldn't have been as bad as Kenny made out...with the pics it's not as bad as Kenny made out...
Guys at all levels complain about arm pump and riding tight, the fact he is able to make even this much of a comeback is incredible.
Agreed that it's incredible he is back racing and up to speed (I think he'll click a win here soon), but I don't think it's some unique miracle. The healing of his arm is due to the current state of medicine/treatment, enough money to afford the absolute best of it, and YES, a huge will to return to form, which he should (and has been) commended for. Pics or no pics, the injury was terribly bad.

What I'm saying is that because of all the pics he took and shared, it's a much bigger (and in my opinion, getting kind of played out) story. Seeing muscle and tendon with the skin filleted open isn's something most people see in their everyday lives (or Instagram feed.) It's sensational and it makes for good TV, as does the flying-through-the-air crash. Compared to some of the other dudes (I wouldn't expect to see Eli post the pics Ken did if he went through the same thing), Ken seems to love being the limelight, and to that end, posting these pics was a great move for him.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
154th
1/18/2018 10:42am
WCRider wrote:
In my opinion, there is a time to call a halt with his injuries. His injuries was even more impressive than very serious (It's not like...
In my opinion, there is a time to call a halt with his injuries. His injuries was even more impressive than very serious (It's not like Doug Henry)

I've seen riders with legs or elbow at 90° so many times since 25 years of racing.

We're making such a big deal out of it just cuz it's mister hyper, mister social medias.

An open arm pics, some images on IS and let's the hype begins.

Nevertheless is incredible what he is doing but for me, for the moment, he has not the level of Anderson or an ET in shape.
yeah he's pretty good at creating a hype around him.
He has more attention sitting on the couch than some other riders while standing on the podium.

But you make it sound like that's a bad thing. It isn't. It's his job.
We can only imagine the amount of sponsor money that guy gets for the fact that everyone talks about him and everyone looks at him. It's not only about results on the track. Some people will never understand that.
Johnny Depp
1/18/2018 10:59am
One thing he hasn't done yet is win. Another is crash on that arm. Another is get stuffed by a rider.

I wouldn't want to be the rider that takes out Humpty Dumpty.

The Shop

tprice07
1/18/2018 11:28am
tingo wrote:
Career-ending injury? He broke his arm and missed the rest of SX and one season one MX. ALL of these guys break bones and/or destroy joints...
Career-ending injury? He broke his arm and missed the rest of SX and one season one MX. ALL of these guys break bones and/or destroy joints and come back. Add me to the camp of over hearing about it. Yes, it was a gnarly break and the compartment syndrome is what got really scary, but this would not be nearly as big of a story as it is without all the gory pics that KR posted. Don't get wrong, I'm glad he posted the pics, but there are plenty of other dudes that mangled themselves up and came back without all this attention. It's the total opposite of "pics or it didn't happen."
Yea no shit...I think Davi has had some serious injuries..I doubt that many people in the crowd at a race know he lost a kidney to racing..I'd say that is pretty severe. No two injuries can be compared but Roczen seems to be rebuilding just fine.

As for the story of his injury...buckle up because it isn't going anywhere. If he wins, they will talk about it. If he leads and fades they will talk about it. If he just starts to go down hill all together they will talk about it. I don't see a scenario that they don't talk about it this season. After this season if he wins then I think they will question it initially for motocross..but after he shows his fitness and strength those talks will fade.
jeffro503
1/18/2018 11:32am
I'd like for someone to mention another rider in the history of this sport , that has mangled a limb that bad , and then come back and be that competitive right off the bat. There have been plenty of compound fractures like Kenny's....but he completely dislocated and destroyed his wrist and elbow along with the compound.

We've had multi champions have to quit after just breaking a scaphoid!
jeffro503
1/18/2018 11:35am
tingo wrote:
tprice07 wrote:
Yea no shit...I think Davi has had some serious injuries..I doubt that many people in the crowd at a race know he lost a kidney to...
Yea no shit...I think Davi has had some serious injuries..I doubt that many people in the crowd at a race know he lost a kidney to racing..I'd say that is pretty severe. No two injuries can be compared but Roczen seems to be rebuilding just fine.

As for the story of his injury...buckle up because it isn't going anywhere. If he wins, they will talk about it. If he leads and fades they will talk about it. If he just starts to go down hill all together they will talk about it. I don't see a scenario that they don't talk about it this season. After this season if he wins then I think they will question it initially for motocross..but after he shows his fitness and strength those talks will fade.
When Davi came back from that , they talked about on and off for a few years.
jeffro503
1/18/2018 11:36am
They also didn't have the social media around near as big as it is today.
Forty
1/18/2018 12:12pm
When he wins the series we will never stop....great comeback story...

JM485
1/18/2018 12:20pm Edited Date/Time 1/18/2018 12:21pm
tingo wrote:
Dude are you kidding me right now, you’re really going to sit there on your ass and downplay an injury like that? No, most of these guys don’t have part of a dead persons elbow, nor do most of them get compartment syndrome to the point of very easily losing a limb, nor have most of them undergone over 10 surgeries for one injury, if not total in their careers. FFS the stuff people justify in their own heads is mind blowing. . .
Motoxdoc
1/18/2018 12:37pm
This is not an attempt to bag on the guy. Let’s start there. I’m shocked he is back as strong as he is. It’s a good...
This is not an attempt to bag on the guy. Let’s start there. I’m shocked he is back as strong as he is. It’s a good story for the sport and for riders in general.

So the question is...at what point can we stop talking about the injury at every interview? How long is it gonna be okay for him to be fast as hell and fade a little? How much time will it take for him to be ‘himself’ again...?

I am truly shocked he is already racing again and I hope he doesn’t get hurt again...it will be interesting to see how he progresses through the season...

I think he will definitely win more than one this year...and when he does I think the entire sport will collectively applaud...

Best of luck 94
Interesting thoughts. Back to the title of your thread.....what's this "free pass" you speak of?
kiwifan
1/18/2018 1:10pm Edited Date/Time 1/18/2018 1:10pm
peelout wrote:
that's like saying that they shouldn't talk about how the tear-off system works any more, because ReynardFan already knows all about that. they can, will, and...
that's like saying that they shouldn't talk about how the tear-off system works any more, because ReynardFan already knows all about that.

they can, will, and should keep talking about it for as long as they like. we're 2 races in and you're making it sound like it's been 5 years.

Great post, people should be inspired by what KR went through not being derogatory towards him
kiwifan
1/18/2018 1:12pm
tingo wrote:
tprice07 wrote:
Yea no shit...I think Davi has had some serious injuries..I doubt that many people in the crowd at a race know he lost a kidney to...

jeffro503 wrote:
When Davi came back from that , they talked about on and off for a few years.
same with RJ after his nasty wrist injury, ok RJ didnt have amazing success after he came back, he still won a few races and was talked about a lot...and still is
Donovan759
1/26/2018 8:52am
Like I said, He's probably sick of it. I'm glad its being recognized for the miracle that it is. But I'm also glad that he is moving past it. Roczen is excellent at moving forward and focusing on the goal. That mindset is why he's going to win it all this year. And THAT will be his last statement about this arm. On the top step of the podium at Vegas.

I wasn't a Roczen fan last year. Still am not much of one this year. But I sure have a hell of a lot of respect for him having the balls to get on a bike again. I probably wouldn't. I definitely wouldn't race again.
gantry25
1/26/2018 8:57am
A lot of hardcore Supercross/motocross fans are tired of hearing about it. Kenny has already stated that he is done talking about it. With that being said, It's a great story and a hell of a comeback. I for one am just glad he's back and do expect him to win this year.
kkawboy14
1/26/2018 9:11am
As far as I’m concerned he can talk about it forever. That kid is a real success story. But for tv it would be better if they changed up the injury and recovery story to different aspects, instead of just repeating the same stuff.
NJKawi913
1/26/2018 9:22am
I think it was a gnarly injury that should be talked about. However i think that by the half way point in the season we need to stop covering it and start focusing on how he's performing. It is still early in the season and fresh in everyones mind, so i feel the amount of coverage its getting is justified, espically since everyone likes a comeback story. Come rounds 9, 10, 11 though i don't want to hear about it, as i'm sure everyone else can agree.

sidenote: There are a lot of great story lines that are starting to unfold here, and i think Fox Sports, Feld, and all the teams would be dumb not to start hitting on some of those. We have a points leader in Anderson who can really make a name for himself in the coming weeks, a new format that gave us multiple race winners, former privateer Weston Peick snaping off top 5 finishes, Barcia thowing down on a fill-in ride. All in all this season is shaping up to have way more drama then i can remeber recently.
Mit12
1/26/2018 11:38am
Anderson will have a bad race like he does every single year. Not hating on him just a fact..If Kenny keeps staying consistent and has this...
Anderson will have a bad race like he does every single year. Not hating on him just a fact..If Kenny keeps staying consistent and has this new mindset about keeping it calm and not going for it every week he will win this title.
You might have forgot that Roczen has never completed every 450 SX race in a season since he moved up. No advantage there.

Post a reply to: Roczens Free Pass

The Latest