Roczens Free Pass

reynardfan1
Fantasy
3600th
1/18/2018 7:31am Edited Date/Time 1/26/2018 11:38am
This is not an attempt to bag on the guy. Let’s start there. I’m shocked he is back as strong as he is. It’s a good story for the sport and for riders in general.

So the question is...at what point can we stop talking about the injury at every interview? How long is it gonna be okay for him to be fast as hell and fade a little? How much time will it take for him to be ‘himself’ again...?

I am truly shocked he is already racing again and I hope he doesn’t get hurt again...it will be interesting to see how he progresses through the season...

I think he will definitely win more than one this year...and when he does I think the entire sport will collectively applaud...

Best of luck 94
|
Donovan759
1/18/2018 7:36am Edited Date/Time 1/18/2018 8:02am
As long as he keeps doing well and starts winning races, we're going to hear about that arm until he retires. I'm already annoyed.. Edit: Annoyed for him. It must get annoying when every interview you give starts with "So Ken, You should have lost your arm but here you are racing."
RussB
Fantasy
878th
1/18/2018 7:44am Edited Date/Time 1/18/2018 7:51am
It's questionable as to whether he will ever get back to the speed he was showing at the start of the 17 SX season. But I'd like to think he will, certainly looks promising at the moment.

I'd say once he has won a couple of races, straight up beating the other guys at the top: Anderson, Barcia, Musquin/Tomac (if they return in top form), I think that's when you can safely say he is over the worst of his arm injury.

Even if he doesn't use his arm as an excuse himself, if he isn't winning then I think people will always blame the arm. You can't really blame anything else as he is on a solid team, is in good shape and we all know he has the raw speed and talent to win championships.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
179th
1/18/2018 7:45am Edited Date/Time 1/18/2018 7:46am
What do you mean "be fast as hell and fade a little"?
He didn't fade in either race. At A1 he progressed throughout the whole race. At Houston Anderson was simply faster. But he was also riding a lot more risky and almost through it away completely a few times.
Right now there are two of the "big 4" remaining. Kenny is still in it. His plan is working still.

I don't think that him not winning doesn't only have to do with his arm.
Had he taken a year off without any injury, he would need a few races as well to get back into everything. You can't simulate Supercross races on a practice track
peelout
1/18/2018 7:48am
that's like saying that they shouldn't talk about how the tear-off system works any more, because ReynardFan already knows all about that.

they can, will, and should keep talking about it for as long as they like. we're 2 races in and you're making it sound like it's been 5 years.

The Shop

Moto520
1/18/2018 7:50am
The story is so good that I think it's tough not to talk about. Such a great comeback story and very inspirational. Not much else to really talk about to the general public to create a story. I think supercross works best when the public starts to understand who the riders are. Personally.....I know the story and don't have to have it crammed down my throat but i'm going to watch the race regardless.
1/18/2018 7:50am
peelout wrote:
that's like saying that they shouldn't talk about how the tear-off system works any more, because ReynardFan already knows all about that. they can, will, and...
that's like saying that they shouldn't talk about how the tear-off system works any more, because ReynardFan already knows all about that.

they can, will, and should keep talking about it for as long as they like. we're 2 races in and you're making it sound like it's been 5 years.

Like button, please!
drt410
1/18/2018 7:51am Edited Date/Time 1/18/2018 7:51am
Its only been 2 races after a career ending injury and year off. They do talk about it too much but its a valid injury. I think its well known by now so doesnt need to be said as much but its still incredible what hes doing. Honestly its probably going to take the whole year plus next off seasons training for him to reach whatever his new peak is. That being said he seems to have matured a lot and will settle for podiums. He may actually win more than before when he was more capable for this reason. I see him being a multi time champ...again, he already is in mx, but Id say sx as well. In reality Eli is his only competition when both riding at 100% and Eli is anything but consistent. Kenny may be able to Dungey Eli for some more championships.
mgifracing
Fantasy
394th
1/18/2018 7:57am
drt410 wrote:
Its only been 2 races after a career ending injury and year off. They do talk about it too much but its a valid injury. I...
Its only been 2 races after a career ending injury and year off. They do talk about it too much but its a valid injury. I think its well known by now so doesnt need to be said as much but its still incredible what hes doing. Honestly its probably going to take the whole year plus next off seasons training for him to reach whatever his new peak is. That being said he seems to have matured a lot and will settle for podiums. He may actually win more than before when he was more capable for this reason. I see him being a multi time champ...again, he already is in mx, but Id say sx as well. In reality Eli is his only competition when both riding at 100% and Eli is anything but consistent. Kenny may be able to Dungey Eli for some more championships.
Eli is a non issue for Rocsen at this point in the SX season. I almost bet we don't see Eli until Daytona now. Anderson did impress me last week. I think he has Eli and Marvin speed now. The title to me comes down to Rocsen and Anderson at the moment.
DF313
Fantasy
2385th
1/18/2018 7:58am
Anything they report they do to catch interest of new viewers. Every race has too many people watching that haven't heard the story to not exploit it.
tingo
1/18/2018 8:01am
Career-ending injury? He broke his arm and missed the rest of SX and one season one MX. ALL of these guys break bones and/or destroy joints and come back. Add me to the camp of over hearing about it. Yes, it was a gnarly break and the compartment syndrome is what got really scary, but this would not be nearly as big of a story as it is without all the gory pics that KR posted. Don't get wrong, I'm glad he posted the pics, but there are plenty of other dudes that mangled themselves up and came back without all this attention. It's the total opposite of "pics or it didn't happen."
Adam43
1/18/2018 8:02am
I don't think they are overdoing it at all.

It's not a given that he's going to make it all the way back. It's clear that he is still having some struggles.

If he becomes the dominate force in the series once again, TV should blow it up as hard as they can. It's an incredible comeback story.
bigmaico
1/18/2018 8:07am
DF313 wrote:
Anything they report they do to catch interest of new viewers. Every race has too many people watching that haven't heard the story to not exploit...
Anything they report they do to catch interest of new viewers. Every race has too many people watching that haven't heard the story to not exploit it.
Winner winner chicken diner!

This is why they talk about Kenny's arm so much, trying to grab more viewers that aren't riders/racers or moto obsessed as we are.

To me It almost seems like they are trying to put NASCAR type drama in the broadcast.
ktmdan
1/18/2018 8:17am
Let's be honest though, wouldn't we all, if we had the funds and were as fast as KR, return to racing..?
1/18/2018 8:19am
Anderson will have a bad race like he does every single year. Not hating on him just a fact..If Kenny keeps staying consistent and has this new mindset about keeping it calm and not going for it every week he will win this title.
bodean123
Fantasy
1833rd
1/18/2018 8:29am
Anderson will have a bad race like he does every single year. Not hating on him just a fact..If Kenny keeps staying consistent and has this...
Anderson will have a bad race like he does every single year. Not hating on him just a fact..If Kenny keeps staying consistent and has this new mindset about keeping it calm and not going for it every week he will win this title.
Couldn’t the same be said about KR?
jeffro503
1/18/2018 8:40am
I think some of you saying that they are over playing it , and " It was just a broken arm....everyone breaks things ".....don't quite understand how brutal that injury was. It was destroyed enough that it could of been completely useless for everyday life. To get back on the bike and ride was a miracle in itself. To compete at the level he is at now , it's freakin' incredible.

Shit yes they are going to talk about it. By all rights , he shouldn't even be out there. There are other riders who have suffered near career ending injuries as well , and everyone of them should be applauded for making a come back. Kenny should be no different , as he's in that group.
lumpy790
1/18/2018 8:43am
Remember the return of Doug Henry from his Budds Creek down hill jump? Or after his Supermoto paralyzation and his returning to riding?

IMO .... Any rider making an amazing recovery and returning from a near fatal injury makes a great story.

DownSouth
1/18/2018 8:48am
People never quit talking about Pourcels injury if he got any criticism. Roczen won't be any different.
mgifracing
Fantasy
394th
1/18/2018 8:51am
DF313 wrote:
Anything they report they do to catch interest of new viewers. Every race has too many people watching that haven't heard the story to not exploit...
bigmaico wrote:
Winner winner chicken diner! This is why they talk about Kenny's arm so much, trying to grab more viewers that aren't riders/racers or moto obsessed as...
Winner winner chicken diner!

This is why they talk about Kenny's arm so much, trying to grab more viewers that aren't riders/racers or moto obsessed as we are.

To me It almost seems like they are trying to put NASCAR type drama in the broadcast.
There is some validity to the NASCAR type drama. Kyle Bush broke a tib/ fib over 2 years ago and they still bring that up.
Bruneval
1/18/2018 8:53am
I have seen Roczen ride many times in person; San Diego 2014, Foxboro and NJ in 2016, NJ in 2017 and Houston last weekend. In 2016 he obliterated the field at both events I saw, especially NJ where he was something like 20 seconds ahead.

The guy has got such unbelievable skill, even when he's not 100% he is right up there. I'm sure it's far from easy for him, but what I saw in Houston last weekend was so impressive. IMO he is running up front on talent and hard work right now, and is clearly not yet ready to ride on the ragged edge to win at all costs, which I think he has even said himself. That may come, it might not, but he's so good I see him winning championships regardless. My biggest concern would be how that arm will respond to another impact and hard crash.
daemon616
1/18/2018 8:56am
This is not an attempt to bag on the guy. Let’s start there. I’m shocked he is back as strong as he is. It’s a good...
This is not an attempt to bag on the guy. Let’s start there. I’m shocked he is back as strong as he is. It’s a good story for the sport and for riders in general.

So the question is...at what point can we stop talking about the injury at every interview? How long is it gonna be okay for him to be fast as hell and fade a little? How much time will it take for him to be ‘himself’ again...?

I am truly shocked he is already racing again and I hope he doesn’t get hurt again...it will be interesting to see how he progresses through the season...

I think he will definitely win more than one this year...and when he does I think the entire sport will collectively applaud...

Best of luck 94
I don't know when you going to stop living the glory days of high school?
1/18/2018 9:01am
tingo wrote:
Career-ending injury? He broke his arm and missed the rest of SX and one season one MX. ALL of these guys break bones and/or destroy joints...
Career-ending injury? He broke his arm and missed the rest of SX and one season one MX. ALL of these guys break bones and/or destroy joints and come back. Add me to the camp of over hearing about it. Yes, it was a gnarly break and the compartment syndrome is what got really scary, but this would not be nearly as big of a story as it is without all the gory pics that KR posted. Don't get wrong, I'm glad he posted the pics, but there are plenty of other dudes that mangled themselves up and came back without all this attention. It's the total opposite of "pics or it didn't happen."
So without pics it wouldn't have been as bad as Kenny made out...with the pics it's not as bad as Kenny made out...
Guys at all levels complain about arm pump and riding tight, the fact he is able to make even this much of a comeback is incredible.
rmoto003
1/18/2018 9:03am
daemon616 wrote:
I don't know when you going to stop living the glory days of high school?
But bro, I had so many girlfriends in high school

You wouldnt know them though, they went to different schools
ACBraap
Fantasy
444th
1/18/2018 9:20am
rmoto003 wrote:
But bro, I had so many girlfriends in high school

You wouldnt know them though, they went to different schools
I hear you. MX and my youth are like Al Bundy and high school football.

Seriously, the broadcast is about making it exciting, and that means playing up the underdog stories, rivalries, etc. I would expect Roczen's comeback to be mentioned every time he's near the front. This stuff gets old for us because we watch every single round, but casual viewers might not, so for them it really is adding new information to the show.
1/18/2018 9:22am
This is not an attempt to bag on the guy. Let’s start there. I’m shocked he is back as strong as he is. It’s a good...

Best of luck 94
Please name another rider currently racing who has a hint of a compelling story to tell, paired with the results to base segments around. Maybe AC if he can stay on the bike?

peelout
1/18/2018 9:30am Edited Date/Time 1/18/2018 9:31am

Best of luck 94
Please name another rider currently racing who has a hint of a compelling story to tell, paired with the results to base segments around. Maybe AC...
Please name another rider currently racing who has a hint of a compelling story to tell, paired with the results to base segments around. Maybe AC if he can stay on the bike?

Webb is getting sloppy seconds and mediocre top 15's, that's compelling right?

Woohoo
1/18/2018 9:36am
Anderson will have a bad race like he does every single year. Not hating on him just a fact..If Kenny keeps staying consistent and has this...
If you're going to say "fact! anderson will have a bad race like he does every year"

Then the same can be used with Kenny- He will crash and sustain an injury the same as he does every SX season.

It works both ways.
RandyS
1/18/2018 9:41am
There are people who will give any rider who wins a title the next 10 years the "Roczen Broken Arm Asterisk". That's just how it is, ask Reed and Dungey.
WCRider
Fantasy
2177th
1/18/2018 9:42am
In my opinion, there is a time to call a halt with his injuries. His injuries was even more impressive than very serious (It's not like Doug Henry)

I've seen riders with legs or elbow at 90° so many times since 25 years of racing.

We're making such a big deal out of it just cuz it's mister hyper, mister social medias.

An open arm pics, some images on IS and let's the hype begins.

Nevertheless is incredible what he is doing but for me, for the moment, he has not the level of Anderson or an ET in shape.
dshaw45
1/18/2018 9:46am
Ignoring his story and injury would be absolutely foolish. He is back to the top of the sport like it never happened. Is he at the level he was before? I say no but that might just be because the competition stepped it up last year after he was out. They have every right to mention his story at any chance possible since it is honestly a miracle he is riding at the level he is with the injuries he sustained in that crash.

Post a reply to: Roczens Free Pass

The Latest