Roczen will never be the same.

phatfi20
5/23/2017 7:17am
He almost just finished with his surgeries not long ago. Now its physical therapy time to get back ROM and strength. He is far from reaching maximum medical improvement.
Flatliner
5/23/2017 7:20am
Not a doctor , purely a guess but just seeing how far he has to go id think sx 2018 would be out.
5/23/2017 7:34am
Guess you didn't hear the interview Saturday? He said he will be back winning and winning championships. Can't go against what he's saying

The Shop

gt80rider
5/23/2017 7:40am
During his interview last Saturday I was shocked to see his arm. Nearly 5 months in and it appears to have poor range of motion, and...
During his interview last Saturday I was shocked to see his arm. Nearly 5 months in and it appears to have poor range of motion, and looks to be super thin.

Bone injuries are one thing, but nerve damage is another. I am not trying to stir trouble here, I am just not sure we are hearing all there is to hear in regards to his situation. I certainly hope the best for him. I am a fan of his.
Never have a serious injury before? He was looking much better than expected to me. In addition, K-Roc has world championship toughness, and more importantly, work ethic. Will he be the same? Maybe, maybe not, but one thing is damn sure, he is gonna work his ass off to get back to the highest point possible.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
5/23/2017 8:13am
Shattered feet and ankles to dust, told me i would never ride again, destroyed lower back, temporary paralysis and major surgery, told me i would never ride again, shredded rotator cuff, broke both corners of arm socket off plus corricoid process, said i would never ride again. Won many races and a few Florida series championships with in a year of those predictions, still flatland the big triple often. The body is an amazing thing.
cali11
5/23/2017 8:15am
DRAGONBACK wrote:
Roczen will never be the same?
You a surgeon, or a psychic?

Wink
No he is just talking reality
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
5/23/2017 8:16am
I'm just thankful we have so many doctors here, I don't even need a primary care physician any longer!

Silly
cali11
5/23/2017 8:27am
bodean123 wrote:
Can't wait to see him toss that crippled looking arm in the air as he takes his first checked flag, just to see him prove all...
Can't wait to see him toss that crippled looking arm in the air as he takes his first checked flag, just to see him prove all you naysayers wrong.
Hope your right, I just don't think you understand what your talking about.
Skuzzy29
5/23/2017 8:51am
bodean123 wrote:
Can't wait to see him toss that crippled looking arm in the air as he takes his first checked flag, just to see him prove all...
Can't wait to see him toss that crippled looking arm in the air as he takes his first checked flag, just to see him prove all you naysayers wrong.
cali11 wrote:
Hope your right, I just don't think you understand what your talking about.
But you do understand? Clairvoyant?

The things we do know. He posted a pic doing lunges with a barbell on his shoulders and his wrist was bent back holding the bar, so he has some range. He posted a video using a clutch on a Grom. Sure it's a light pull, but that's pretty impressive for a surgery that can leave you not being able to use utensils! ...or scissors as the guy above. His elbow seems to be the biggest problem with motion at the moment and he has a long way to go to gain mass.
Everything else is speculation!

Personally I believe he'll be back...because he seems to believe he'll be back. I just wonder how well he comes back. 60%? 75%? 90%?
5/23/2017 8:52am
Acidreamer wrote:
I hope roczen fully recovers but youre right. That arm is still looking extremely rough. I cant see someone gaining that much muscle in a year...
I hope roczen fully recovers but youre right. That arm is still looking extremely rough. I cant see someone gaining that much muscle in a year. Maybe he will be riding but i just dont know if it will be the same. People said that about rvs leg though and he came back swinging.
A human can gain a lot of muscle in 6 months, let alone a year.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
5/23/2017 9:09am
During his interview last Saturday I was shocked to see his arm. Nearly 5 months in and it appears to have poor range of motion, and...
During his interview last Saturday I was shocked to see his arm. Nearly 5 months in and it appears to have poor range of motion, and looks to be super thin.

Bone injuries are one thing, but nerve damage is another. I am not trying to stir trouble here, I am just not sure we are hearing all there is to hear in regards to his situation. I certainly hope the best for him. I am a fan of his.
Are you a doctor
No...he just plays one on Vital
5/23/2017 9:19am
Betting against his full recovery at this point would get one some attention, but would also be foolish.
TDeath21
5/23/2017 9:19am
He will come back. At what he was? Idk. My guess is he will be lined up at the opener for 2018 MX. SX just seems out of the question.
Tuna
5/23/2017 9:42am
bodean123 wrote:
Checkers on the mini track?
toroP
5/23/2017 9:47am
Kanewel433 wrote:
His arm may look meek and slim now, but muscle memory will enable him to gain back whatever muscle he previously had a lot quicker than...
His arm may look meek and slim now, but muscle memory will enable him to gain back whatever muscle he previously had a lot quicker than if he were building entirely from scratch. Christian Bale did it for the movie the Machinist - he lost tons of weight and was emaciated. Then, in less than a year, the guy was yoked up for Batman.

I'm no doctor, but I'd say he'll get enough use of his arm to race again. We've already seen him cruising around, operating a clutch on his Honda street bike/scooter. That's as good a start as we can hope for.

Best of luck KR94.
Muscles don't have memory. And the term, however erroneous, doesn't refer to muscle building, it's often used when describing performance/execution.
TeamGreen
5/23/2017 9:50am

I, too, am a fan.

Therefore I have to say: your thread title SUCKS.
Big Ragu
5/23/2017 9:52am
"Roczen will never be the same" - True, but does that mean he cant be as competitive as before? (reference FLmxer response)
He will simply have to adapt to his new situation. You cant keep this type of person down.
Side note: RJ's injury was on his throttle hand/wrist - IMHO much more critical than a clutch arm injury...
drt410
5/23/2017 11:24am
The ROM is definitely worrying, the muscle loss not at all. I wish him the best, if anyone can come back from this its him.
MX Guy
Fantasy
727th
5/23/2017 11:36am
I bet you he rides again, that ones obvious. Racing in the states, that might not be doable. Forget what anyone is saying, forget what happened to RJ, just take a second to put all bias aside and look at Kenny's arm to decide for yourself. All of the pictures of surgery and whatnot say the dude is lucky to have his fuckin arm, let alone be able to grip handlebars the same ever again.

Saying he won't ever be the same isn't a false statement. Saying he won't race again, at this point, isn't exactly a misguided response despite what Ken and camp are saying. If I'm Honda, I'm probably not stoked on what doctors told me about Ken's arm capabilities when recovered. I'd bet they weren't all that assuring that he'll be a champion again, just look at what they had to do...

I'm a Kenny fan and I'd like more than anyone to see that #1 Honda 450 on track at Glen Helen, honestly I feel like the way he'll ever line up is for little races here and there. I don't see a full 450 SX/MX season with wins ever happening on that arm.
drt410
5/23/2017 11:49am
The one thing I noticed though is this is the first time Ive heard him say that its a possibility that he doesn't come back.
5/23/2017 12:17pm Edited Date/Time 5/23/2017 12:18pm
I'll add the question: Does he need to be the same?

Various athletes have often shown a wide range of adaptability to their changing bodies after injury. Sometimes their overall performance is lost forever, and sometimes they continue to succeed.

edit: just noticed others in thread have made the same point.
TXDirt
5/23/2017 12:46pm
I think the mental recovery will be more challenging. You don't forget a crash like that. Doctors can do some amazing things and the body heals and adapts in such crazy ways. However the brain will never let you forget this and it will be a big mind fuck for him to mentally deal with it should he ever decide to step on a SX track again.

In some ways this is like touching a hot stove. And you burn your hand and you remember not too touch a hot stove again. Well SX will be that hot stove for Ken.

Huge fan of his and love his style on and off the track. Sucks to have this happen. If he can overcome this and ever win a race again that would be an incredible feat.
kiwifan
5/23/2017 12:49pm
DRAGONBACK wrote:
Roczen will never be the same?
You a surgeon, or a psychic?

Wink
x2 People on here kill me with their expert knowledge Smile
Titan1
5/23/2017 12:52pm
MX Guy wrote:
I bet you he rides again, that ones obvious. Racing in the states, that might not be doable. Forget what anyone is saying, forget what happened...
I bet you he rides again, that ones obvious. Racing in the states, that might not be doable. Forget what anyone is saying, forget what happened to RJ, just take a second to put all bias aside and look at Kenny's arm to decide for yourself. All of the pictures of surgery and whatnot say the dude is lucky to have his fuckin arm, let alone be able to grip handlebars the same ever again.

Saying he won't ever be the same isn't a false statement. Saying he won't race again, at this point, isn't exactly a misguided response despite what Ken and camp are saying. If I'm Honda, I'm probably not stoked on what doctors told me about Ken's arm capabilities when recovered. I'd bet they weren't all that assuring that he'll be a champion again, just look at what they had to do...

I'm a Kenny fan and I'd like more than anyone to see that #1 Honda 450 on track at Glen Helen, honestly I feel like the way he'll ever line up is for little races here and there. I don't see a full 450 SX/MX season with wins ever happening on that arm.
How do you know what the doctors told Honda?
Suns_PSD
5/23/2017 1:34pm
Kroc will never have an arm that worked just as it did. I don't need to be a doctor to know that because I've personally broken a shit ton of limbs and speak from personal experience.

Now can one of the best, overcome this injury and race at the top level again? Like others, I sure hope so.

I know that he thinks he can and that's great, but you know young men tend to always think they are invincible. Doesn't make it so.

Here is hoping for a killer Kroc comeback, I'll be cheering loudly that's for sure.
Beeby
5/23/2017 2:23pm
In that video, his range of motion is limited. Would that just be because of muscle loss?
5/23/2017 2:37pm
I remember when I broke my tib/fib (nowhere near as bad as Kenny's, only two surgeries to repair/plate) when I mentioned getting back to tennis, one of the doctors on the surgical team made an offhand remark 'Oh, you won't ever get back to running after this'.

I remember that prick's face when he said those words, he didn't even realise how gutted I was hearing that.

Anyway, within a year I was back on the court, running faster than before, because I started weight training after rehab.

Even the ACTUAL experts - not the Vitards - get it wrong sometimes (insert Philthy Phil 'God Bless' drop).

I really hope Kenny gets back to where he was, but holy shit it's not going to be easy.

Post a reply to: Roczen will never be the same.

The Latest