Roczen to Replace Emig in the booth for rest of SX?

thearc
Edited Date/Time 2/25/2018 10:14am
Wouldn't that be great?
Thought he did a good job during the heat races. Obviously joking but they need some new blood in the booth, Blair would do.
|
2/24/2018 11:37pm
offered more insight than Jeff within 3 mins of his announcing career
JoePit
2/25/2018 1:37am
I can't understand why so many of you are so tough on Jeff. Roczen would be awesome in the booth, but maybe when he retires from racing. Not going to can Jeff, a good guy for the sport mid season for no reason at all.
KB221
2/25/2018 1:41am
Alessi in the booth, dungey on the track, or other way around

The Shop

2/25/2018 2:05am
The best thing about going to a Supercross event will be NOT having to listen to RalFro.. just saying...
Crush
2/25/2018 2:35am
JoePit wrote:
I can't understand why so many of you are so tough on Jeff. Roczen would be awesome in the booth, but maybe when he retires from...
I can't understand why so many of you are so tough on Jeff. Roczen would be awesome in the booth, but maybe when he retires from racing. Not going to can Jeff, a good guy for the sport mid season for no reason at all.
I love Fro, I don't even mind Ralph.

However, the whole team is either mailing it in or they have a severe lack of info, insight and behind the scene prep going on because there is basically repetitive comments from both, a fair bit of dead air, ill-timed replays, some sponsored garbage about makeup with a nice sprinkling of cats. It's not good. Not at all.

The whole thought process that the TV package is going to bring people in is laughable. Ask your non-riding buddies about MX. It's boring. You know why. Because they haven't ridden. Cater to the people who have and do. Get some tech. Get some insight. Let's hear it, see it, live it. Get people in by your passion, not with superficial fluff.
2/25/2018 2:56am
Crush wrote:
I love Fro, I don't even mind Ralph. However, the whole team is either mailing it in or they have a severe lack of info, insight...

However, the whole team is either mailing it in or they have a severe lack of info, insight and behind the scene prep going on because there is basically repetitive comments from both, a fair bit of dead air, ill-timed replays, some sponsored garbage about makeup with a nice sprinkling of cats. It's not good. Not at all.

The whole thought process that the TV package is going to bring people in is laughable. Ask your non-riding buddies about MX. It's boring. You know why. Because they haven't ridden. Cater to the people who have and do. Get some tech. Get some insight. Let's hear it, see it, live it. Get people in by your passion, not with superficial fluff.
they have a severe lack of info, insight and behind the scene prep going on

This.

That is the problem in a nutshell. It's not that Jeff can't or doesn't make good observations/points, but too rarely does anything said have any real substance behind it. Why? Because real things of interest tend to be at least mildly controversial. Marvin and the whoops is a perfect example of this. It took Kenny 5 seconds to point out what everyone at home has been saying about MM and team KTM since the season started.

Again, I don't dislike Jeff, he still does a good job overall and knows his stuff. But I do feel that there's a constraint there which limits him far more compared to say Bailey previously, and Malin in the GPs (sure, Paul won't criticise Luongo, but otherwise he's full of info and straight talking points about the teams and riders gathered from his pit walks etc).
MotoX85
2/25/2018 2:58am
Id rather have him replace Ralph, but he sure did a great job.
Crush
2/25/2018 3:03am
[i] they have a severe lack of info, insight and behind the scene prep going on[/i] This. That is the problem in a nutshell. It's not...

This.

That is the problem in a nutshell. It's not that Jeff can't or doesn't make good observations/points, but too rarely does anything said have any real substance behind it. Why? Because real things of interest tend to be at least mildly controversial. Marvin and the whoops is a perfect example of this. It took Kenny 5 seconds to point out what everyone at home has been saying about MM and team KTM since the season started.

Again, I don't dislike Jeff, he still does a good job overall and knows his stuff. But I do feel that there's a constraint there which limits him far more compared to say Bailey previously, and Malin in the GPs (sure, Paul won't criticise Luongo, but otherwise he's full of info and straight talking points about the teams and riders gathered from his pit walks etc).
The races after Kenny left it felt like the room was empty... I actually said out loud, "say something"... Not that I want to hear crap, but it felt like there was nothing going on.

Maybe they're stale, it's been a while, but it hasn't been good this year.
Motofinne
2/25/2018 3:05am
I agree. Roczen provided more insight in a few minutes than Emig in this whole season.

Roczen wont be a regular guy in the booth but Emig has to step up his game, this is not working anymore. This is bad for everyone involved.
make1go
2/25/2018 3:53am
Crush wrote:
I love Fro, I don't even mind Ralph. However, the whole team is either mailing it in or they have a severe lack of info, insight...

He knows,
I know people who ride dirbikes and they still dont watch it.
Of course that just means they are stupid in my book..but i digress...

Some of the program has to be dedicated to the dedicated fan.
Xavier
2/25/2018 4:14am Edited Date/Time 2/25/2018 4:15am
Regardless, I though Ricky, who is often criticized here, did an excellent job both on the practice show and on the main TV show.
+ have him comment the Reed segment from his perspective was great too, IMO.
RangerLee
2/25/2018 4:35am
Roczen was excellent in the both when it came to track insight and what what happening that is not obvious to the viewers. It helps being just removed from the racing itself.

I would bet Jeff can do that as well as get more information to use during the broadcast by hanging out with the team. If they really wanted to step it up, they would do like other pro sports and have people working on nothing but stats and information to provide to them while they are in the booth.
Tyrob513
2/25/2018 4:44am

This is spot on. It seems like they showed up an hour before the race and have little insight into whats actually happening live on the track.
It took them 5 minutes to realize Cole was hurt, when Roczen was on it instantly. I used to enjoy their commentary but everybody has gotten too comfortable, time to shake things up.
Jmicmoto13
2/25/2018 4:51am
I was just gonna write something similar. Roczen had bike setup insight by team and different angles about how the track wear would effect riders. I thoroughly enjoyed it. He schooled Emig badly last night. We need a new team!
BikerScars
2/25/2018 5:48am
I like Fro.

KR did a awesome job!!!
Loved his insight!
yak651
Fantasy
214th
2/25/2018 5:51am
I think he provided some good insight. Although seemed a little biased to point out KTM issues without noting the Honda issues that keeps pile driving riders
flyinb501
Fantasy
338th
2/25/2018 5:55am
It's not good when a rider can come in with no experience or training and do a better job than the guy who has been doing it for a living for many years.
Flip109
2/25/2018 6:59am Edited Date/Time 2/25/2018 7:13am
Yep, keeping someone in the box that recently raced or races is important. Once they are out of racing for a long time they just lose that edge on giving you the cool insight. Let’s face it. Racing today is vastly different from when emig did it. It’s kind of like when Tony Romo got in the booth this year for CBS. WOW. The insight he could give you on the offense and defense was amazing. You got to see things you would have never noticed before. There are a lot of ex quarterbacks that announce. But they have been out of it a while and just don’t have that edge anymore. This is the same thing.
B DUB 333
2/25/2018 7:06am
You guys bitch about everything. Bunch of old hens in here.
Presley155
2/25/2018 7:13am
I love Fro, he's my favorite rider but it has been a rough year for those guys in the booth. Roczen provided so much more in depth info. Is it possible Fro is too far removed from the current racing to accurately call the action? Meaning, the tracks and bikes are completely different than the 90's. That being said, if Weege were in the booth I feel like he could set Fro up much better than Ralph can.
LittleDragon
Fantasy
1882nd
2/25/2018 7:17am
B DUB 333 wrote:
There is a lot of truth in this post.
redrider400
2/25/2018 7:23am
JoePit wrote:
I can't understand why so many of you are so tough on Jeff. Roczen would be awesome in the booth, but maybe when he retires from...
Agreed. Emig is miles better than RC. RC sounds borderline retarded a lot of the times he commentates at the races.
2/25/2018 7:48am
Roczen was awesome providing real info, stuff that Fro should be providing. His comment about the KTM setup having a dead rear setup etc was something Fro would have never said as to not upset that team. That's what's missing in this sport as a whole, real insight on what's going on instead of the standard fanboy crap that spews from the booth. I don't think they need to mention "Blue Yamaha" ever again. I mean, like frickin EVER. If the target audience for that comment is so stupid that they can't figure out what color bike someone the camera is following they aren't going to have a job good enough to buy it anyway.

I actually don't mind Ralph and Jeff, but I'm almost sure there is someone else telling them to say the stupidest crap while not allowing them to do their job. Quit running it like an infomercial and the ratings would surely go up.
smoothies862
Fantasy
676th
2/25/2018 8:11am
great battles and they talk about the silly things off the track. no emotion or excitement. the producer needs a little share of this too. quit staying on 1 rider so long. when there is finally battles at the front stay there. I don't care that reed is in 11th. you gave reed his love when he made the main.
I think they have lost the passion . I watched the half pipe in the winter Olympics.no clue. the announcers made it compelling. I felt like I went through a class and not one time did they say what color the board was or confidence.
time for a fresh crew. you guys had a good run.
Crush
2/25/2018 8:18am Edited Date/Time 2/25/2018 8:21am
B DUB 333 wrote:
There is a lot of truth in this post.
So you guys are listening and rubbing your hands together thinking it’s great?!

Let’s be real. There are a lot of issues facing MX/SX around the world and the premiere series is being exhibited as a shit-show.
yz133rider
2/25/2018 9:10am
JoePit wrote:
Crush wrote:

Well said. Here here.
dkg
2/25/2018 9:17am
JoePit wrote:
Crush wrote:

yz133rider wrote:
Well said. Here here.
Dilly Dilly
Racer111
2/25/2018 9:20am
I really hate listening to all of you young disrespectful morons bad mouth legends because you have zero respect for anything or anyone.

Do you know any history on Jeff Emig? Aside from being a bad ass on a scooter he also has overcome a horrible stuttering problem. I think he does a great job in the booth. How about you just watch the racing and stop whining and crying over the dumbest shit in the world.

Post a reply to: Roczen to Replace Emig in the booth for rest of SX?

The Latest