Roczen and Ferrandis lost points?

mwssquad827
7/4/2021 10:26am Edited Date/Time 7/4/2021 10:28am
DC wrote:
There was a WOG flag being waved going into the corner before the jump, as well as one before the jump. Here's a screen grab someone...
There was a WOG flag being waved going into the corner before the jump, as well as one before the jump. Here's a screen grab someone posted yesterday...

DC
Racer X
kpiper wrote:
Both of them should have been penalized but the 'points' part of it is stupid. The penalty should be one position in the moto. I think...
Both of them should have been penalized but the 'points' part of it is stupid.

The penalty should be one position in the moto.

I think they both saw the flag but decided to ignore it. Especially Kenny.

And to the people who say, 'they are pros and going so fast they can't see it', that is total BS.
DC wrote:
One position each would have hurt Ferrandis worse--he would have lost three points to Kenny's two. And he tried to check up. It would have also...
One position each would have hurt Ferrandis worse--he would have lost three points to Kenny's two. And he tried to check up. It would have also moved Plessinger up two spots to gain five points. All of that probably came into the referee's decision.

DC
Racer X
They both broke the same rule. So who cares if one, half broke a rule(checking up) or a full broke of rule ( full send). a rule that was in place to protect downed riders was broke.. so equal punishment is called for.. does it suck more for Dylan that he would have lost more points yes but rules are rules.. and if there not enforced then why have them?

Would a check up jump hurt less or cause more damage to a downed rider than a WOG rider??
mxracer816
Fantasy
2858th
7/4/2021 10:41am Edited Date/Time 7/4/2021 10:42am
Just another reason for a single channel communication system (just like your local dirt car track) between race control and every rider on the track. Zero reason why it can't happen too.🤷
DC
7/4/2021 10:51am
It’s at the discretion of the referee, just as it says in the rule book. In this case I agree with him…

DC
Racer X

The Shop

lestat
7/4/2021 11:51am
“ I believe the referee thought that penalizing each a spot was too harsh--it would end up giving Plessinger a win that he did not deserve, and five more points ”

This type of thinking right here is why the AMA penalty situation is a joke . Subjective bs has no place in the discussion . Black and white rules and penalties . It ain’t complicated .
Dasmonger
Fantasy
277th
7/4/2021 12:08pm
You can generally tell how fair the rulings are by the page length of the post.

Only a two pager so far, thus this a fair ruling.

Good job by the AMA.
kpiper
7/4/2021 1:47pm
DC wrote:
One position each would have hurt Ferrandis worse--he would have lost three points to Kenny's two. And he tried to check up. It would have also...
One position each would have hurt Ferrandis worse--he would have lost three points to Kenny's two. And he tried to check up. It would have also moved Plessinger up two spots to gain five points. All of that probably came into the referee's decision.

DC
Racer X
I hear you and understand the logic.

But do you feel Kenny is going to 'really' pay attention from now on after losing two points?

Doubtful it will make a difference with him but who knows.
Day30
7/4/2021 2:05pm
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
kpiper wrote:
I hear you and understand the logic. But do you feel Kenny is going to 'really' pay attention from now on after losing two points? Doubtful...

But do you feel Kenny is going to 'really' pay attention from now on after losing two points?

Yes a point is a point is a point. Too valuable for any rider to not care. I’m sure he also cares about his own safety and has empathy for the downed rider, he won’t do it if it’s dangerous. It’s a mental error that he jumped, not intentional malicious action. Of course these are just words from someone who’d like the believe that. Who knows what drives Kenny. Would have to ask him, but since everyone gets an opinion here, I think losing points based on degree of infraction on this ruling is fine.
kpiper
7/4/2021 3:16pm
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
kpiper wrote:
I hear you and understand the logic. But do you feel Kenny is going to 'really' pay attention from now on after losing two points? Doubtful...

Day30 wrote:
Yes a point is a point is a point. Too valuable for any rider to not care. I’m sure he also cares about his own safety...
Yes a point is a point is a point. Too valuable for any rider to not care. I’m sure he also cares about his own safety and has empathy for the downed rider, he won’t do it if it’s dangerous. It’s a mental error that he jumped, not intentional malicious action. Of course these are just words from someone who’d like the believe that. Who knows what drives Kenny. Would have to ask him, but since everyone gets an opinion here, I think losing points based on degree of infraction on this ruling is fine.
If he loses the title by one point then he will think about it Smile

Otherwise probably not. I am not saying they are purposefully disregarding the rules but they are not paying attention enough about it either.

A stiffer penalty would grab his attention and he would likely never do it again.

Kenny was penalized for doing the exact same thing in SX this year.
CPR
7/4/2021 3:23pm
TbonesPop wrote:
DC, I could understand how the riders would have been confused yesterday when at race pace. The WOG flag before the corner was pretty early and...
DC, I could understand how the riders would have been confused yesterday when at race pace. The WOG flag before the corner was pretty early and the other WOG flag was on top of the jump instead of at the approach of the jump. Not excusing it and I agree with the penalties. I agree with how the points were docked as opposed to positions. But the flaggers made that incident difficult. The flagger for the jump should have been on the face or before the jump (not on top of the jump), then there would be absolutely no excuses. When I saw that live, I thought WTF is that flagger doing? Obviously race officials realized something was wrong with how the flaggers handled it because the penalties were pretty minor. That was potentially a very dangerous situation with Dean being down after the landing. The flagger on top of that jump needed a pretty stern butt chewing in my opinion.
There’s a good reason why flaggers are on the top of jumps, not on the face or run up; so they can see what’s happening after the obstacle, which is there job.
If the flagger is on the face, he can’t see a downed rider either.
Up Wind
7/4/2021 3:39pm
Could you imagine if AP or Tomac wins the series by 1 point Smile That massive penalty could end up costing DF or KR the title Smile
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
7/4/2021 10:04pm
TbonesPop wrote:
DC, I could understand how the riders would have been confused yesterday when at race pace. The WOG flag before the corner was pretty early and...
DC, I could understand how the riders would have been confused yesterday when at race pace. The WOG flag before the corner was pretty early and the other WOG flag was on top of the jump instead of at the approach of the jump. Not excusing it and I agree with the penalties. I agree with how the points were docked as opposed to positions. But the flaggers made that incident difficult. The flagger for the jump should have been on the face or before the jump (not on top of the jump), then there would be absolutely no excuses. When I saw that live, I thought WTF is that flagger doing? Obviously race officials realized something was wrong with how the flaggers handled it because the penalties were pretty minor. That was potentially a very dangerous situation with Dean being down after the landing. The flagger on top of that jump needed a pretty stern butt chewing in my opinion.
CPR wrote:
There’s a good reason why flaggers are on the top of jumps, not on the face or run up; so they can see what’s happening after...
There’s a good reason why flaggers are on the top of jumps, not on the face or run up; so they can see what’s happening after the obstacle, which is there job.
And its 100% useless if the flagger is in a position to where riders coming toward the jump can't see them or the flag, which is exactly where the flagger was.
chump6784
7/4/2021 11:50pm
TbonesPop wrote:
CPR wrote:
There’s a good reason why flaggers are on the top of jumps, not on the face or run up; so they can see what’s happening after...
TbonesPop wrote:
And its 100% useless if the flagger is in a position to where riders coming toward the jump can't see them or the flag, which is...
And its 100% useless if the flagger is in a position to where riders coming toward the jump can't see them or the flag, which is exactly where the flagger was.
At every riders briefing I have attended, when talking about WOG flags the rule had always been wheels on the ground from when you see the flag until you are past the incident or you reach the next flag point.

The WOG flag was out in the previous corner and both riders had to have seen it, it was right in their face. With that in mind, if Dylan and Ken roll up the jump face they then see the next flagger standing on top of the jump pushing them away from the direction of the fallen rider. The flagger on top of the jump is there to keep an eye on the fallen rider and track workers and direct the on coming riders in the safest direction around those on the track. If the flagger is in front of the jump they have no idea where the workers/fallen rider are. IMO the flaggers got it right.

As for the penalties. I can see both sides of the argument. Dylan at least tried to check up and got a small amount of air where Ken just launched it. Kind of like breaking the speed limit, you'll get a worse penalty for being 20 over than you will be for 10 over.

mac3-d
7/5/2021 1:52pm
So some are saying 1 position penalty ?
So Dylan is penalised 1 position demoted to 2nd
Kenny is therefore promoted to 1st then penalised and back to 2nd & Dylan back to 1st .?
ridge
7/6/2021 7:30am
DC wrote:
It’s at the discretion of the referee, just as it says in the rule book. In this case I agree with him…

DC
Racer X
Davey, is it possible that white and red just blend in too much to what the riders see from other trackside banners/shirts?

In desert racing the riders/drivers are alerted when someone is stopped in front of them, and when a trophy truck has caught you (you can't hear them until it's too late). I understand that same system might not work in moto, however, the technology is there and can be tweaked to work in these situations. It might help with lappers too...
DC
7/6/2021 8:31am Edited Date/Time 7/6/2021 8:35am
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
ridge wrote:
Davey, is it possible that white and red just blend in too much to what the riders see from other trackside banners/shirts? In desert racing the...
Davey, is it possible that white and red just blend in too much to what the riders see from other trackside banners/shirts?

In desert racing the riders/drivers are alerted when someone is stopped in front of them, and when a trophy truck has caught you (you can't hear them until it's too late). I understand that same system might not work in moto, however, the technology is there and can be tweaked to work in these situations. It might help with lappers too...
We chose red and white because they resemble red cross flags as well as the red flag that halts a race early. Also, yellow, green, white, blue and checkered are already out there for other reasons... And we have six sets of lights that put up that flash yellow on the biggest obstacles. And I don't know how direct helmet communication works, with 40 guys out there all spread out. They would have to have the track map memorized to know that someone is down "between turns 8 and 9," or "straightaway 7," and thinking, Am I coming up to that section? It might've all of the guys thinking in their heads, Where exactly is that at? Does that mean me?

It's an imperfect system because racing is much different than a lot of other forms, with 40 riders, mile or longer tracks, no timeouts or pit stops... Flags have worked for 50 years, not always perfectly, and we've added lights too. I'm not sure helmet communications would work here, but I am up for any suggestions on how it could be better.

DC
Racer X
mxracer816
Fantasy
2858th
7/6/2021 4:13pm
DC wrote:
We chose red and white because they resemble red cross flags as well as the red flag that halts a race early. Also, yellow, green, white...
We chose red and white because they resemble red cross flags as well as the red flag that halts a race early. Also, yellow, green, white, blue and checkered are already out there for other reasons... And we have six sets of lights that put up that flash yellow on the biggest obstacles. And I don't know how direct helmet communication works, with 40 guys out there all spread out. They would have to have the track map memorized to know that someone is down "between turns 8 and 9," or "straightaway 7," and thinking, Am I coming up to that section? It might've all of the guys thinking in their heads, Where exactly is that at? Does that mean me?

It's an imperfect system because racing is much different than a lot of other forms, with 40 riders, mile or longer tracks, no timeouts or pit stops... Flags have worked for 50 years, not always perfectly, and we've added lights too. I'm not sure helmet communications would work here, but I am up for any suggestions on how it could be better.

DC
Racer X
The in helmet communication on a dirt track would consist a brief description of location of crash and then the race coordinator telling the upcoming racers by number that they were approaching the red flag area....wheels on ground. At all of our local tracks the jumps are numbered. Every rider I know, knows the number of each jump and how to describe every line leading up to it. I feel like a brief description in moto would be, "rider down on 6, #14,2, and 9, are approaching the red flag area. Wheels on the ground". At that point everyone in the race heard that description, and knows approximately where the problem is and can continue accordingly. There's zero excuse for jumping in a dangerous situation then and penalties can be stiffer so there is no doubt who is to blame for the mistake, intentional or not. I'm just throwing some thoughts I've had for a while out there. Maybe one day something sticks and helps out. If not that's fine too!
ridge
7/6/2021 4:49pm
DC wrote:
We chose red and white because they resemble red cross flags as well as the red flag that halts a race early. Also, yellow, green, white...

DC
Racer X
I simply do not think the riders are seeing red cross flags. No rider is thinking he might get away with it.

Flaggers in our day would be standing in the middle of the track, which is why it worked. We never even saw a red flag during a race until Jeff Pestana wadded himself up at a supercross in the 90s.

What I'm talking about is a localized warning. Let's say your Red Cross flaggers carry a transmitter that he turns on when required. As approaching riders get within range, they get a "ping" to alert them (could be a flash or sound from the handlebar area). Like I said, a similar system is working in the desert (although I haven't personally used it).
kpiper
7/6/2021 4:51pm
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
ridge wrote:
I simply do not think the riders are seeing red cross flags. No rider is thinking he might get away with it. Flaggers in our day...
I simply do not think the riders are seeing red cross flags. No rider is thinking he might get away with it.

Flaggers in our day would be standing in the middle of the track, which is why it worked. We never even saw a red flag during a race until Jeff Pestana wadded himself up at a supercross in the 90s.

What I'm talking about is a localized warning. Let's say your Red Cross flaggers carry a transmitter that he turns on when required. As approaching riders get within range, they get a "ping" to alert them (could be a flash or sound from the handlebar area). Like I said, a similar system is working in the desert (although I haven't personally used it).
What about Craig's flashing red light on the handlebar Wink
Stewyeww
7/6/2021 6:23pm
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
I think your underestimating the riders, its not like they are riding around not knowing where they are on the track, they know exactly where they are. "Flags have worked for 50 years, not always perfectly", maby its time to try some new things, the technology is there and probably wouldn't even be hard or expensive to implement. Im sure (in motocross at least maby not supercross) that the riders could be gps tracked and a message could be activated when they enter the area. It could be trialed at a non-national level event (amatures maby?) to work out bugs and how sections should be labeled or numbered.

You never know if it will work unless you try it I guess.
RF145
7/6/2021 8:32pm
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
ridge wrote:
Davey, is it possible that white and red just blend in too much to what the riders see from other trackside banners/shirts? In desert racing the...

DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
DC, I believe that the pic you posted does not represent what one actually sees while racing and what I saw on TV live. It is perhaps 100/ sec at best??
I saw the flag in the corner before the jump waving frantically. I was in disbelief that someone thought that this was going to be a smart way to alert two people engaged in a moto battle. There are flags being waved constantly including the yellow and blue flags. I had to look twice to understand WTF was being waved and then wondering how someone at race speed could really discern this waving flag from other flags at the rate they were riding and the crazy way the flag was waving.
For starters, I would request that the first flag be held open and displayed towards the riders like a pit board, with the flagger deliberately focusing the flag towards the eyes of the racer.
I would also consider replacing the flag completely and using something like a pit board that could be held out from the side of the track, onto the track to really get the attention of the riders.
I feel that neither rider got a fair deal in this as I am convinced the first flag was difficult to “read” and the second flag was too far removed from the vision of both racers.
kpiper
7/7/2021 8:18am
It amazes me that so many try to find excuses for these two guys jumping on the red cross flag.

There is no excuse. They saw the flag.
RF145
7/7/2021 8:35am
kpiper wrote:
It amazes me that so many try to find excuses for these two guys jumping on the red cross flag. There is no excuse. They saw...
It amazes me that so many try to find excuses for these two guys jumping on the red cross flag.

It amazes me that you are able to teleport yourself into both of their bodies so you can be so cock sure of your position.
What is Kenny & Dylan doing right now?
kpiper
7/7/2021 8:48am
kpiper wrote:
It amazes me that so many try to find excuses for these two guys jumping on the red cross flag. There is no excuse. They saw...

RF145 wrote:
It amazes me that you are able to teleport yourself into both of their bodies so you can be so cock sure of your position. What...
It amazes me that you are able to teleport yourself into both of their bodies so you can be so cock sure of your position.
What is Kenny & Dylan doing right now?
Did Dylan check up because he didn't see the flag?
kpiper
7/7/2021 8:53am
As a racer, you have an obligation and responsibility to be 'aware' of warning flags during the race.

Even more so when you are a professional.

Post a reply to: Roczen and Ferrandis lost points?

The Latest