Roczen Taking Out Webb - Stupidest Move of the Year?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/7/2018 8:15 PM

Round 6 - San Diego
3rd February, 2018

- Webb is dating Roczen’s previous girlfriend.
- Roczen doesn’t like the previous girlfriend and has a new one anyway.
- There’s huge animosity between Roczen and Webb.
- Roczen attempts to take out Webb in a main (after Webb ran Roczen wide in the previous corner).
- It all goes wrong, resulting in a major hand injury and Roczen’s supercross season over.
- Roczen was running second in the championship.

That’s two supercross seasons in a row for Roczen. The first one was bad luck, but this year’s crash was his own choice.

He finished the previous round in second, both on the night and in overall points (Jason Anderson was ahead by 15 points).

The resulting lack of podium and win bonuses must have cost at least $300-400,000 in future income.

Not to mention the loss of momentum from being laid up for so long.

He’s also paid a bunch of money to represent Honda in a professional and competitive way. So much for that idea.

It’s been a few months now… and I’m still intrigued about the consequences of Roczen’s move that night.

Was this the dumbest move in recent seasons?

?t=169
|

5/7/2018 8:19 PM

This is a post I’d expect to see two months after the outdoors have ended, when people have ran out of things to talk about.

|

5/7/2018 8:23 PM

I've seen dumber.

|

5/7/2018 8:30 PM

GuyB wrote:

I've seen dumber.

You are lucky to be seeing anything right now! I hope all is well.

|

5/7/2018 8:32 PM

Electro21 wrote:

You are lucky to be seeing anything right now! I hope all is well.

Yes I am.

See? I told you'd I'd seen dumber... tongue

|

5/7/2018 9:41 PM

Definitely let the heat of the moment get to him there and, more importantly, let his personal life interfere with the race track. People took Dungey for granted, but he was arguably the toughest rider mentally we have ever seen.

|

5/7/2018 9:59 PM

He didn't attempt to take him out. He was trying to make an aggressive pass and his rear wheel caught some unexpected traction under the top layer of loose dirt. Notice how he looped out and was completely out of control? That wasn't on purpose

|

5/7/2018 10:27 PM

Taking out webb? Lol he didnt even touch him

|

5/7/2018 10:45 PM

TDeath21 wrote:

Definitely let the heat of the moment get to him there and, more importantly, let his personal life interfere with the race track. People took Dungey for granted, but he was arguably the toughest rider mentally we have ever seen.

So was Canard, RV, Stew, Hannah, RJ, Stanton etc.....

Want me to go on. Canard nearly ends up in a chair for LIFE, recovers to race and wins races. Talk about ‘mental’ strength.....

|

bd

5/7/2018 10:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/7/2018 10:58 PM

Dumb might be the wrong word, but I think Eli's first turn mistake at A1 would have to be pretty high on the list.

Had the race well and truly under control, then puts it on the ground all on his own, injuring his shoulder and throwing the season away before it began.

|

5/7/2018 11:25 PM

TDeath21 wrote:

bd wrote:

So was Canard, RV, Stew, Hannah, RJ, Stanton etc.....

Want me to go on. Canard nearly ends up in a chair for LIFE, recovers to race and wins races. Talk about ‘mental’ strength.....

What the fuck? What in the fuck does Canard coming back from getting landed on have anything to do with what I said?

|

5/7/2018 11:37 PM

You know....maybe it's been said before , I don't know. When I saw that attempted pass by Kenny , he just dropped the hammer so hard coming out of that corner , it looked like ( if I remember correctly ) that it ripped his left hand off the bars. I know that's his bad arm , and just wonder if that might of had something to do with it.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

5/7/2018 11:51 PM

Phildo wrote:
Round 6 - San Diego
3rd February, 2018

- Roczen attempts to take out Webb in a main (after Webb ran Roczen wide in the previous corner).
- It all goes wrong, resulting in a major hand injury and Roczen’s supercross season over.

That’s two supercross seasons in a row for Roczen. The first one was bad luck, but this year’s crash was his own choice.

He finished the previous round in second, both on the night and in overall points (Jason Anderson was ahead by 15 points).

The resulting lack of podium and win bonuses must have cost at least $300-400,000 in future income.

He’s also paid a bunch of money to represent Honda in a professional and competitive way. So much for that idea.

It’s been a few months now… and I’m still intrigued about the consequences of Roczen’s move that night.

?t=169

Rookie novice front end washout move by a seasoned veteran doing his best imatation of a C class squid, twice.

|

5/8/2018 12:46 AM

BobbyM wrote:

Rookie novice front end washout move by a seasoned veteran doing his best imatation of a C class squid, twice.

I'm a pretty crap rider. I'd have to be feeling ambitious to even daydream about becoming a C class squid.

However, I generally manage to get around corners without flipping the bike over backwards and destroying my hand.

|

5/8/2018 12:48 AM

It’s amusing that Roczen’s extended layoff time originated from a girlfriend issue.

Roczen has a new girlfriend, who he likes much more then the previous one.

Which is just as well, due to an injury to his right hand…

laughing

|

5/8/2018 2:10 AM

No, it wasnt a take out move (well was by Webb fans)....dumbest move of the year was Eli not getting back on the bike and racing hard for points after a crash, unfortunately it happened more than once.

|

Current rides: 2020 CRF450RWE and 2019 TC300
Occasional ride for VMX: 1985 CR500RF
Adventure/Road bike: CRF1000L

5/8/2018 5:11 AM

Don't think it was the dumbest, just had the harshest outcome with that freak injury. If they'd tumbled and got up fine we wouldn't be talking about it.

Most of the dudes have block passes as harsh on their highlights reel. Like Marvin's last week seemed dumber and more dangerous but had no bad consequences (unless you're a Tomac fan).

Here's one from Tomac resume, ironically also going after Webb....

|

5/8/2018 5:25 AM

TDeath21 wrote:

How would any of you Bros know it had anything to do with his personal life?? Like, honestly..
Dumb move, yes. Retaliation- maybe, from the corner before. Personal life animosity? Who knows?? You don't!! Who cares anyway..

Eli, A1, dumbest move of the year.

|

The above may be fact or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting. I am not sure, you have no chance.

5/8/2018 5:48 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/8/2018 5:51 AM

TDeath21 wrote:

LOL

Dungey was consistent, but IDK about mentally tough. And trust me, Dungey was my favorite rider from like 2008 to about 2013. After that I still liked him, I just felt like he lost a lot of his titles by not hanging it out a little more and playing too consistent. Sure he won a lot of titles that way, but he lost a fair amount by playing it too safe also (IMO).

Maybe he did gain some mental toughness over the years and got better, but when mentioning how mentally tough Dunge is they forget 2008 250 SX, he ALMOST lost the 2009 250 W SX championship at the last round while going backwards the last 5 laps or so after initially battling for the win (the pressure got to him).

2011 MX, moto1 at Steel City, pressure got to him when he really needed the moto win. Moto 2 he came out like the air was completely let out of his sails.

Look at 2013 and 2014 seasons vs Villopoto and Roczen, Dungey was playing second fiddle the whole time. 2013 Outdoors Villopoto made Dungey (and the rest of the field) look very mediocre. I consider that not being mentally tough, in RD's mind Villopoto was better than him and that is why Dungey got killed plenty of times outdoors, when realistically RV wasn't THAT much better than RD.

I hate to say it, because I really think Ryan is a great role model and was a great rider, but he did kind of pickup the pieces after other guys faltered. For that reason don't know that I would consider Dungey mentally tough, but I would say very consistent.

|

5/8/2018 5:53 AM

TDeath21 wrote:

Thisusernameisavailable wrote:

How would any of you Bros know it had anything to do with his personal life?? Like, honestly..
Dumb move, yes. Retaliation- maybe, from the corner before. Personal life animosity? Who knows?? You don't!! Who cares anyway..

Eli, A1, dumbest move of the year.

I give that award to Roczen over Eli. It's not like Eli purposely bulldozed himself into the ground.

Unfortunate move for Eli, yes. Lack of concentration, possibly. Dumb, no, not at all.

|

5/8/2018 7:43 AM

Phildo wrote:

It’s amusing that Roczen’s extended layoff time originated from a girlfriend issue.

Roczen has a new girlfriend, who he likes much more then the previous one.

Which is just as well, due to an injury to his right hand…

laughing

So you can read people's minds. Impressive.

Frankly, you yourself said you're not an experienced rider so it's unlikely you've ever looped out simply because you're not on the gas as early as a top level pro riding a pro-level machine.

You're only 9 posts in...you'll learn.

|

5/8/2018 10:15 AM

RV would have beat both of them except in the case of RC racing also and we’ll see how that plays out when JS7 returns and CR22 starts the season healthy

|

“If you don’t crash alot, you just ain’t going fast enough” Chandler

5/8/2018 10:20 AM

Nuffsaid wrote:

RV would have beat both of them except in the case of RC racing also and we’ll see how that plays out when JS7 returns and CR22 starts the season healthy

Imagine if RV and RD were still racing

|

5/8/2018 10:32 AM

Phildo wrote:
Round 6 - San Diego
3rd February, 2018

?t=169

this post reminds me of a polished turd.

sure it's polished, but it's still a fuckin' turd

|

5/8/2018 10:34 AM

burnside wrote:

Don't think it was the dumbest, just had the harshest outcome with that freak injury. If they'd tumbled and got up fine we wouldn't be talking about it.

Most of the dudes have block passes as harsh on their highlights reel. Like Marvin's last week seemed dumber and more dangerous but had no bad consequences (unless you're a Tomac fan).

Notice how close Tomacs right arm is to going into Webbs rear wheel? Its obviously Webb that is the bad guy in both incidents...

|

5/8/2018 10:37 AM

burnside wrote:

Freddy wrote:

Notice how close Tomacs right arm is to going into Webbs rear wheel? Its obviously Webb that is the bad guy in both incidents...

The appendages don't want none!

|

5/8/2018 10:39 AM

Webb seems to be able to get under peoples skin, which isn't good once he figures out how to put all the pieces together.

|

5/8/2018 10:48 AM

who coined "Kendo"?

|

5/8/2018 10:48 AM

TDeath21 wrote:

mx 219 wrote:

LOL

Dungey was consistent, but IDK about mentally tough. And trust me, Dungey was my favorite rider from like 2008 to about 2013. After that I still liked him, I just felt like he lost a lot of his titles by not hanging it out a little more and playing too consistent. Sure he won a lot of titles that way, but he lost a fair amount by playing it too safe also (IMO).

Maybe he did gain some mental toughness over the years and got better, but when mentioning how mentally tough Dunge is they forget 2008 250 SX, he ALMOST lost the 2009 250 W SX championship at the last round while going backwards the last 5 laps or so after initially battling for the win (the pressure got to him).

2011 MX, moto1 at Steel City, pressure got to him when he really needed the moto win. Moto 2 he came out like the air was completely let out of his sails.

Look at 2013 and 2014 seasons vs Villopoto and Roczen, Dungey was playing second fiddle the whole time. 2013 Outdoors Villopoto made Dungey (and the rest of the field) look very mediocre. I consider that not being mentally tough, in RD's mind Villopoto was better than him and that is why Dungey got killed plenty of times outdoors, when realistically RV wasn't THAT much better than RD.

I hate to say it, because I really think Ryan is a great role model and was a great rider, but he did kind of pickup the pieces after other guys faltered. For that reason don't know that I would consider Dungey mentally tough, but I would say very consistent.

Not saying Dungey isn’t mentally tough but JLaw broke him down and took a title from him. And i assume we all know dungey was the better rider. I agree with your other points as well. JLaw also got under RVs skin as well.

|

5/8/2018 10:49 AM

TDeath21 wrote:

mx 219 wrote:

LOL

What? LOL! How people can still debate Dungey's legitimacy as a champion still befuddles the shit out of me. So, if I'm reading this right, the only reason Dungey won his titles is because the other guy fked up? So if he isn't the most mentally tough guy in the field, the rest of them must have been mentally challenged. Who then, in your opinion, is the most mentally tough rider of the last ten years? You can debate whether he was the fastest guy, but to argue against his racecraft and the "cerebral" part of his game is laughable.

|