Roczen On Kickerstart Only Honda

Related:
Create New Tag

8/18/2018 12:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/18/2018 12:34 PM

What do you think the reason Keny has changed to a non e-start bike?
Photo

|

8/18/2018 12:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/18/2018 12:36 PM

Lighter bike.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

8/18/2018 12:38 PM

e-start didnt work like it should ..

|

the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

8/18/2018 12:40 PM

Physical weight for their bike is very small, maybe two pounds...

According to Justin Brayton, removing the electric starter and associated gears from the system frees up the engine just a bit. I rode JB's bike for a feature earlier this year and his engine is ridiculously free feeling, it's amazing on decel for mid-corner roll. Of course, there's quite a few other things modified on his bike, including the flywheel, so I can't attest to how much of a difference removing the E-start actually made.

|

8/18/2018 1:26 PM

Maybe Suzuki is on to something?????

|

8/18/2018 1:29 PM

racinstation wrote:

Suzuki has the heaviest engine "feel" as it is, so...

|

8/18/2018 1:32 PM

racinstation wrote:

ML512 wrote:

Suzuki has the heaviest engine "feel" as it is, so...

Yep, the same Suzuki that Ken schooled everyone just two seasons ago smile

|

8/18/2018 1:44 PM

Bruce372 wrote:

Yep, the same Suzuki that Ken schooled everyone just two seasons ago smile

I'd love to have the engine out of that bike, that's for sure.

I'm sitting here, typing up the last of Shootout...and my wrist and back still hurt from a certain colored motorcycle...

|

8/18/2018 1:44 PM

Do you think the OEMs care about doing something like this or it is, “win how ever you can”.

|

8/18/2018 1:45 PM

ML512 wrote:

According to Justin Brayton, removing the electric starter and associated gears from the system frees up the engine just a bit. I rode JB's bike for a feature earlier this year and his engine is ridiculously free feeling, it's amazing on decel for mid-corner roll. Of course, there's quite a few other things modified on his bike, including the flywheel, so I can't attest to how much of a difference removing the E-start actually made.

When you talk about that . Is it like the feel of engine braking ? . Does it feel simular to a two stroke ML ???

|

8/18/2018 1:48 PM

ML512 wrote:

I'd love to have the engine out of that bike, that's for sure.

I'm sitting here, typing up the last of Shootout...and my wrist and back still hurt from a certain colored motorcycle...

Related, is the KTM/white KTM really that much heavier this year, or are the Asian bikes finally catching up (and passing) the European bikes?

|

Ride like a girl!!!
2016 KTM 500 EXC-F
Current project: 2007 Kawasaki KX250-R7 retro build
Current project #2: 1987 Kawasaki KX250-E1 rider/racer resto
1989 KX125 resto
1987 RM250 resto

8/18/2018 1:55 PM

ML512 wrote:

brimx153 wrote:

When you talk about that . Is it like the feel of engine braking ? . Does it feel simular to a two stroke ML ???

Like overall engine inertia, not just decel braking.

|

8/18/2018 1:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/18/2018 1:58 PM

queen of spodes wrote:

Related, is the KTM/white KTM really that much heavier this year, or are the Asian bikes finally catching up (and passing) the European bikes?

They aren't physically heavier, we just had test riders comment (myself included) that they felt heavier in motion at times due to the slight lack of response from the engines and their slower revving nature. Where say the Kawi, Yamaha or Honda...you could use the initial snap to get the bike to react without as much physical input.

I think the lack of weight in a KTM or Husky is really noticeable in sand or other deep/loose conditions when you're physically pulling on the bikes a lot but when it's a harder surface and you're flowing around more...the bikes feel closer in physical weight. Then add in what you can do with the power and it can change the sensation of weight.

|

8/18/2018 3:37 PM

If you're not man enough to kickstart the bike, you're not man enough to ride it.

|

8/18/2018 3:59 PM

FactoryFhil wrote:

If you're not man enough to kickstart the bike, you're not man enough to ride it.

Totally agree with you my man!!!!

Listening to certain people rate these motorcycles is very funny. Its the millennial way I suppose.

|

8/18/2018 4:08 PM

FactoryFhil wrote:

Been racing for 41 years, e start is the best thing ever for me.

|

8/18/2018 4:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/18/2018 4:53 PM

Wouldnt this go against the production cases rule? Since the 19’ is e-start only. Or do they throw on the 18’ cases and it falls under the 10 year rule? Wouldnt you then need an 18’ bike though? Anyone know how this fits in the rules? Interesting how this would all work out..

|

8/18/2018 5:20 PM

FactoryFhil wrote:

And if you need fuel injection or don’t premix, you have a mangina !

|

8/18/2018 5:41 PM

FactoryFhil wrote:

yamahaha131 wrote:

And if you need fuel injection or don’t premix, you have a mangina !

X2

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

8/18/2018 6:36 PM

ML512 wrote:

Two stroke free? A few years ago Honda started putting a port into the lower skirt of their cylinders to reduce engine braking. I wonder what the HRC cylinder looks like below the skirt?

|

8/18/2018 6:56 PM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

What do you think the reason Keny has changed to a non e-start bike?
Photo

Because he’s not a pussy

|

8/18/2018 7:41 PM

I wonder how Honda feel about the change. Can t imagine it was as easy as MCR to change. All manufactures don t like racing what they don't sell .

|

8/18/2018 9:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/18/2018 11:35 PM

brimx153 wrote:

I wonder how Honda feel about the change. Can t imagine it was as easy as MCR to change. All manufactures don t like racing what they don't sell .

What is the big deal, the 18's have a kickstart plug on them, it would be easy for anyone with some mechanical knowledge to install the kickstart system and take out the electric start if they wanted to....not sure why Honda would care, of course in 2019 they cant do that.

|

Current rides: 2020 CRF450RWE and 2019 TC300
Occasional ride for VMX: 1985 CR500RF
Adventure/Road bike: CRF1000L

8/18/2018 10:34 PM

ML512 wrote:

the starters dont have solenoids like cars to retract the pinion gear??

|

8/18/2018 11:49 PM

ML512 wrote:

milliebays wrote:

the starters dont have solenoids like cars to retract the pinion gear??

just a one way dog clutch free wheeling type setup..afaik..(not seen the honda system)

|

8/18/2018 11:58 PM

FactoryFhil wrote:

Brent wrote:

I've heard that life is much better if every single aspect of it challenges your manhood. Alarm that's 150 decibels and up 50 stairs that required 250 pounds of force to disable in the morning, 30 pound spoon for your breakfast cereal, 80 pounds resistance on the steering wheel of your truck...you know, just to make sure you're worthy of it all.

|

8/19/2018 5:51 AM

The newest generation efi 450s are not hard to kick. Estart only drives up cost weight and is less reliable. We had an old husky 500 that was hard to start not my 18 kx 450

|

8/19/2018 6:17 AM

Brent wrote:

Especially after knee replacement on the kicker side.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

8/19/2018 7:09 AM

FactoryFhil wrote:

Brent wrote:

captmoto wrote:

Especially after knee replacement on the kicker side.

If you're that old, you remember early 80s bikes where the kickstart was on the left side and you either stood on the left of bike and kicked with the right or when on the bike kicked with your left.

This is the only sport where we add weight and unnecessary shit to race machines.
90% of POS Harleys dont even have electric start.

|

My post is my opinion. If you don't agree with it, I'm OK with it.

8/19/2018 7:36 AM

A thousand years ago... Photo

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.