Roczen Helmet Selection lately

Related:
Create New Tag

10/7/2019 6:26 PM

Notice he’s been going back and fourth with the V2 and V3 Helmet but he’s been wearing the lower end V2 helmet more

V3Photo

V2Photo

|

10/8/2019 1:39 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/8/2019 1:40 AM

The V2 is cheaper.

|

10/8/2019 4:32 AM

It may look to be the V2, but I would bet the internals of the helmet are the top of the line. I don't know enough about the fox line to know the difference but I can't imagine he'd compromise safety period. Does Fox not do the V4 anymore ?

|

10/8/2019 5:51 AM

I don't blame him. The V3 looks horrendous.

|

10/8/2019 5:57 AM

Stewart wore the lower end Bell MX-1 or whatever it is for years.
I bought one and was very pleased and still looks great

Only difference was outer shell material.
Price doesn't really mean a better helmet.

|

10/8/2019 6:01 AM

Bramlett321 wrote:

It may look to be the V2, but I would bet the internals of the helmet are the top of the line. I don't know enough about the fox line to know the difference but I can't imagine he'd compromise safety period. Does Fox not do the V4 anymore ?

No more V4.

|

10/8/2019 6:25 AM

it's not a v2 or v3. fox is calling it a v-roczen and if you've tried on a new v3 you would understand why

|

10/8/2019 6:28 AM

Those new fox helmets are the ugliest helmet I've seen lately. I think the moto 9 and new FLY formula tie for #1 in the looks dept.

|

10/8/2019 6:54 AM

WhatchaWant wrote:

Stewart's helmets took a hell of a beating. I wonder whether his career would have been any different with some of the more recent technology breakthroughs in helmet safety

|

10/8/2019 7:20 AM

You can bet your sweet a$$ that Kenny's helmet are bespoke to him. JS7 used to do the same stuff with BELL. They are always testing new tech and designs. Regardless, TBH a new gen FOX V2 is better than a lot of helmets we ran 5 years ago.

|

10/8/2019 7:22 AM

WhatchaWant wrote:

It may have 'looked' like an off the shelf MX1, but you can be assured it wasn't.

|

10/8/2019 7:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/8/2019 7:27 AM

WhatchaWant wrote:

rsd47 wrote:

Stewart's helmets took a hell of a beating. I wonder whether his career would have been any different with some of the more recent technology breakthroughs in helmet safety

JS7 was instrumental in developing the next gen Bell Carbon Flex helmets. James typically only wore the best gear. He was usually heavily involved in development and very particular with his gear, regardless of the brand he was wearing at the time. (FOX, NIKE, ANSWER, BELL, GAERNE, OAKLEY, etc) They guy was so involved and it was so important to him, he helped found his own cutting edge gear company, Seven.

|

10/8/2019 7:32 AM

I wondered if all the mouthpiece ventilation just felt weird or let in too much dust? Feels ridiculous even questioning ‘too much ventilation’ but the whole mouthpiece on the V3 is like a mosquito net.

|

10/8/2019 8:00 AM

I saw that James had 7 concussions as of 2010(I think) when Bubba's world premiered. He probably had at least a few more after that.

Having seen in person the cross-sectioned newest 6D helmet I think current riders are much more likely to avoid serious concussions with the newest top of the line helmets.

|

10/8/2019 8:17 AM

Always odd when the pro's doesn't run the top tier equipment. Like when Jeremy Martin was wearing the Alpinestars Tech 8 instead of Tech 10 like the most of the other pros.

Photo

Would be cool if a journalist (GuyB?) could ask Roczen why he's wearing the V2 instead of the V3.

|

KX125

10/8/2019 2:57 PM

I still have the V4 but was ready to buy the new V3 but after seeing Roczen wearing the V2 makes me wonder if I should just spend half the money and get the V2, no dealers around me carry fox so it’s hard to try them on

|

10/8/2019 3:10 PM

With all of the molding costs associated with producing helmets, I doubt the V2 he wore ad RBSR was a custom shell, or EPS for that matter. The internals (liner, cheek pads, etc.) are more than likely custom.

V3 - Composite shell (with carbon)
V2 - Injection molded plastic shell

|

10/8/2019 3:13 PM

HenryA wrote:

Always odd when the pro's doesn't run the top tier equipment. Like when Jeremy Martin was wearing the Alpinestars Tech 8 instead of Tech 10 like the most of the other pros.

Photo

Would be cool if a journalist (GuyB?) could ask Roczen why he's wearing the V2 instead of the V3.

Also in this pic - He's wearing the 100% Accuri goggle rather than the more premium priced Racecraft (or Armega). Probably comes down to fit and feel.

|

10/8/2019 3:18 PM

HenryA wrote:

Photo

RR61114 wrote:

Also in this pic - He's wearing the 100% Accuri goggle rather than the more premium priced Racecraft (or Armega). Probably comes down to fit and feel.

Scott Hustle

Photo

|

10/8/2019 3:18 PM

|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"
Twitter: @ocscottie | Facebook

10/8/2019 3:40 PM

HenryA wrote:

Photo

RR61114 wrote:

We demand answers lmao

|

10/8/2019 9:43 PM

RR61114 wrote:

It's a really old photo (notice he's in alias still) and the Armega came out just recently. As for the racecraft vs accuri, they are the exact same goggle other than the outriggers and removable nose guard, its just two different fits. The foam, frame, and strap are the exact same.

|

10/8/2019 11:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/8/2019 11:44 PM

The helmet he wore at RBSR was definitely the new V2. Which also has the new “Fluid Inside” technology.

One of our local pros that does lessons with my son from time to time is sponsored by Fox, he’s not a big fan of the new V3 compared to his older one. Said the new one doesn’t work that great with his goggles and it fits WAY smaller than the older V3 helmet.

|

10/9/2019 8:16 AM

In his MX2 days in europe Kenny used to wear the V1. If i am not mistaken I remember him saying somewhere it was because it fitted better. He has a really small head.

|

10/18/2019 8:12 AM

Reed rocking the V2 over the V3 too Photo
Photo

|

10/18/2019 8:38 AM

I owned a Fox helmet v3 and it fell apart in 2 months

|

10/18/2019 8:54 AM

carmfarm wrote:

I owned a Fox helmet v3 and it fell apart in 2 months

The new redesign one?

|

10/18/2019 8:56 AM

The old V3 and V4 were solid helmets!

|

10/18/2019 9:24 AM

From Swapmoto Live article on the new Fox helmets.
"Eagle-eyed race fans may have noticed that Team Honda HRC’s Ken Roczen chooses to wear the V2 helmet. Like the rest of the Fox Racing team, Roczen competed in the new V3 when it was first introduced, but during a visit to Fox’s Irvine, California, headquarters, he tried on a V2 out of curiosity and was taken aback by its comfort level. Every rider has a unique head shape and every helmet will fit each individual well…differently. Roczen soon thereafter switched to the Fox Racing V2 helmet, citing that the fit and feel of it was perfect for his liking."

Like in previous years the difference between the V3 and since been discontinued V4 was carbon fiber and a price tag. Both helmets have similar saftey features.

TLD took this approach as well with the SE4 helmet line being the same tech just different shell compounds.

https://www.swapmotolive.com/fox-racing-friday-ricky-carmichaels-2002-rc-replica-helmet/

|

CienaMedia.Co
Northern California
cienamediaco

10/18/2019 1:03 PM

I think Chad wears a really small helmet, so maybe like Roczen, Chad prefers the fit of the V2

|