Rm250 won’t start

mxracer828
Edited Date/Time 5/4/2022 8:21am
So I bought a fully rebuilt top to bottom 2003 rm250. Everything was redone and the guy that built it only rode it twice. Since I’m in az now my dad had to pick it up in so cal. Month later I went to pick it up. Started 1st kick. Brought it home and washed it,started 1st kick and rode it around the block with zero issues. Took it to arizona cycle park for the first ride and nothing. The bike acts like it has zero life in it,nothing there when you kick it. It has spark(possibly weak) and it’s getting fuel. Vp vpr 40:1. I’m going to try some starting fluid and see if it fires up. Only thing I’m thinking is the coil or stator? What you guys think? Very fustrating
|
crf250pilot
5/1/2022 9:44am
Sounds like stator or maybe kill switch stuck shorted. Might disconnect kill switch and try it again.
mxracer828
5/1/2022 9:57am
Sounds like stator or maybe kill switch stuck shorted. Might disconnect kill switch and try it again.
I forgot to mention I disconnected the kill switch
Richy
5/1/2022 10:41am Edited Date/Time 5/1/2022 10:42am
Will it bump?

Work through methodically man, cheap and not too time consuming, stick a new plug in it, check there's fuel getting to the carb, pop the float bowl off and clean the carb / jets out if it's been sat a while, if you're still struggling time for a compression test (may as well do one anyway so you genuinely know where you stand, half the bikes people sell have "just been rebuilt").

If still no answers, time to post details and start digging 👍

My Mrs' KTM would bump but not kick when compression got a little low before a new piston.

The Shop

mxracer828
5/1/2022 10:41am
Its really very basic- the three principles are SPARK, FUEL, COMPRESSION. If you have all three, it runs. It should be pretty simple to find which...
Its really very basic- the three principles are SPARK, FUEL, COMPRESSION. If you have all three, it runs.

It should be pretty simple to find which one you're missing.
It has spark,too end is fresh with plenty of compression and the plug is wett when I’m kicking it over…..trust me this is more fustrating more then anything.
5/1/2022 10:42am
Probably doesnt help that the bikes 19 years old.
That would be like riding a Honda Elsinore in 1995. Yeah theyre gonna have issues
5/1/2022 10:45am
Its really very basic- the three principles are SPARK, FUEL, COMPRESSION. If you have all three, it runs. It should be pretty simple to find which...
Its really very basic- the three principles are SPARK, FUEL, COMPRESSION. If you have all three, it runs.

mxracer828 wrote:
It has spark,too end is fresh with plenty of compression and the plug is wett when I’m kicking it over…..trust me this is more fustrating more...
It has spark,too end is fresh with plenty of compression and the plug is wett when I’m kicking it over…..trust me this is more fustrating more then anything.
Then it runs.
If the plug is wet you've likely just loaded up the bottom end with fuel.

Give it a good bump start with the throttle held wide open for maximum air.
Boomslang
Fantasy
725th
5/1/2022 11:01am

mxracer828 wrote:
It has spark,too end is fresh with plenty of compression and the plug is wett when I’m kicking it over…..trust me this is more fustrating more...
Remove the airfilter and have a look inside. I've found a cloth behind a airfilter in the past. The owner had given his bike a race prep and plugged the boot whilst he had the filter out. Sounds stupid but anything is possible.
Moto Nomad
5/1/2022 11:32am
That would be like riding a Honda Elsinore in 1995. Yeah theyre gonna have issues
My 2004 runs like clockwork and can do everything I need it to do on the track. I've been riding this bike since 2004. Silly
mxracer828
5/1/2022 12:45pm
Thanks for all the responses. Carbs and jet has been cleaned,pulled reeds out to look,checked the power valve to make sure it wasent stuck,kill switch was disconnected. Cleaned all the connections. No rag in the air box. Plug has spark just not sure if it’s a weak spark. Going to pull my kids plug on his 125 and see how his looks and compare the two. I’m going to ohm test the stator and coil as soon as I can find the diagram on what wires to be test.
mxracer828
5/1/2022 12:48pm

Not your average 2003. Always has to be one jerk off in every thread.

mooch
Fantasy
431st
5/1/2022 2:07pm Edited Date/Time 5/1/2022 2:07pm
Try to check the spark in dark garage and it should be noticeably bright blue. With it running a number of times and then suddenly not starting with nothing changed...would seem to be ignition related. I had a spark plug cap go bad once on a bike which was kinda odd.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
5/1/2022 2:21pm
OP, something I just want to clear up. You said you washed it, fired up first kick and rode it around the block. Did you wash it and then right after you were done started it and rode it or were the washing and starting/block ride at separate times?
mxracer828
5/1/2022 2:23pm Edited Date/Time 5/1/2022 2:25pm
mooch wrote:
Try to check the spark in dark garage and it should be noticeably bright blue. With it running a number of times and then suddenly not...
Try to check the spark in dark garage and it should be noticeably bright blue. With it running a number of times and then suddenly not starting with nothing changed...would seem to be ignition related. I had a spark plug cap go bad once on a bike which was kinda odd.
Washed it,blew it off with a blower and then towel dried it. After that I started it and rode it around the block.

I can see spark in the day time in the garage. I’m going to pull my kids plug out of his 125 and compare the two. That’s why this is so odd
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
5/1/2022 2:27pm
mooch wrote:
Try to check the spark in dark garage and it should be noticeably bright blue. With it running a number of times and then suddenly not...
mxracer828 wrote:
Washed it,blew it off with a blower and then towel dried it. After that I started it and rode it around the block. I can see...
Washed it,blew it off with a blower and then towel dried it. After that I started it and rode it around the block.

I can see spark in the day time in the garage. I’m going to pull my kids plug out of his 125 and compare the two. That’s why this is so odd
Thanks for clarifying. Something I’ve noticed is that when you start them up after doing after washing, little bits of water can still make their way into connections especially if blown in with a blower. I’ve had many friends do the same thing you did and all of them do eventually have issues, some sooner than others. Time frame seems to differ a bit based on using a garden hose vs pressure washer. Haven’t seen or come across these same issues when the bikes aren’t started shortly after washing them.

Maybe has nothing to do with your issue at all, but I have seen it be the cause of similar issues many many times.
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
5/1/2022 2:40pm Edited Date/Time 5/1/2022 2:57pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Thanks for clarifying. Something I’ve noticed is that when you start them up after doing after washing, little bits of water can still make their way...
Thanks for clarifying. Something I’ve noticed is that when you start them up after doing after washing, little bits of water can still make their way into connections especially if blown in with a blower. I’ve had many friends do the same thing you did and all of them do eventually have issues, some sooner than others. Time frame seems to differ a bit based on using a garden hose vs pressure washer. Haven’t seen or come across these same issues when the bikes aren’t started shortly after washing them.

Maybe has nothing to do with your issue at all, but I have seen it be the cause of similar issues many many times.
“Something I’ve noticed is that when you start them up after doing after washing, little bits of water can still make their way into connections especially if blown in with a blower. I’ve had many friends do the same thing you did and all of them do eventually have issues, some sooner than others”

Yo Matt,
For the record, I wash my bikes with a pressure washer and use either a blower or compressed air to dry them off. I start my bike immediately after washing it, (which I highly recommend) and have never had a single issue with any of them.
You need some new friends… lol

Just kidding about your friends, but if ALL of them are having this problem, I guess I need to buy some lotto tickets. You know how many bikes have come thru my garage, between Tanners bikes and mine.
In all honesty, the reason I start them after washing them every time, is to prevent water from causing issues.

https://www.slickproductsusa.com/blogs/the-daily-dirt/3-things-you-shou…

#1 Dry It Off: Water that sits or gets into exhaust or electrical parts is never good. One way to combat this is by using an air compressor, or a leaf blower and blast some air into the nooks and crannies to dry it up. You should also start the bike and run the engine for a few minutes which will heat up and evaporate any water that may have found its way into areas you don’t want it to be in.

https://motocrossactionmag.com/ten-things-you-need-to-know-about-washin…

(10) Start it. Remove the muffler plug and start the bike after you wash it. Let it run for a few minutes. This evaporates any water that may be sitting stagnant on the bike. If the bike needs an oil change, this is a good time since the engine oil will be nice and warm. High-pressure water gets things clean, but it can also make things like pivots and chains dry. Make sure to lube the chain and spray things like the footpeg pivots, shock preload ring threads and clutch perch. We also spray our exhaust pipes with Maxima MPPL to prevent corrosion.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
5/1/2022 3:04pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Thanks for clarifying. Something I’ve noticed is that when you start them up after doing after washing, little bits of water can still make their way...

langhammx wrote:
“Something I’ve noticed is that when you start them up after doing after washing, little bits of water can still make their way into connections especially...
“Something I’ve noticed is that when you start them up after doing after washing, little bits of water can still make their way into connections especially if blown in with a blower. I’ve had many friends do the same thing you did and all of them do eventually have issues, some sooner than others”

Yo Matt,
For the record, I wash my bikes with a pressure washer and use either a blower or compressed air to dry them off. I start my bike immediately after washing it, (which I highly recommend) and have never had a single issue with any of them.
You need some new friends… lol

Just kidding about your friends, but if ALL of them are having this problem, I guess I need to buy some lotto tickets. You know how many bikes have come thru my garage, between Tanners bikes and mine.
In all honesty, the reason I start them after washing them every time, is to prevent water from causing issues.

https://www.slickproductsusa.com/blogs/the-daily-dirt/3-things-you-shou…

#1 Dry It Off: Water that sits or gets into exhaust or electrical parts is never good. One way to combat this is by using an air compressor, or a leaf blower and blast some air into the nooks and crannies to dry it up. You should also start the bike and run the engine for a few minutes which will heat up and evaporate any water that may have found its way into areas you don’t want it to be in.

https://motocrossactionmag.com/ten-things-you-need-to-know-about-washin…

(10) Start it. Remove the muffler plug and start the bike after you wash it. Let it run for a few minutes. This evaporates any water that may be sitting stagnant on the bike. If the bike needs an oil change, this is a good time since the engine oil will be nice and warm. High-pressure water gets things clean, but it can also make things like pivots and chains dry. Make sure to lube the chain and spray things like the footpeg pivots, shock preload ring threads and clutch perch. We also spray our exhaust pipes with Maxima MPPL to prevent corrosion.
Could very well be that it’s just coincidence haha. It was really the one thing in common that they all did. Like you and Tanner, I’m sure there’s so many others that could also say the same thing you did and make what I said look somewhat isolated. It was just something I’ve seen over the years. Also seen some interesting air boots and carbs over the years from guys not oiling their filters enough, filters getting wet from the bike being washed and firing it up sucking the new water/dirt mud mixture right through and into the carb. Those were interesting jobs Laughing

I’ve never done it because mine go into the garage to get dried off, then filter comes out, oil drained and I look over everything. It’s just how I was taught to do it.
5/1/2022 3:06pm
Next time you wash it make sure to put one of them butt plugs in the muffler. You want to avoid getting water in the muffler bearings if it all possible..
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
5/1/2022 3:09pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Could very well be that it’s just coincidence haha. It was really the one thing in common that they all did. Like you and Tanner, I’m...
Could very well be that it’s just coincidence haha. It was really the one thing in common that they all did. Like you and Tanner, I’m sure there’s so many others that could also say the same thing you did and make what I said look somewhat isolated. It was just something I’ve seen over the years. Also seen some interesting air boots and carbs over the years from guys not oiling their filters enough, filters getting wet from the bike being washed and firing it up sucking the new water/dirt mud mixture right through and into the carb. Those were interesting jobs Laughing

I’ve never done it because mine go into the garage to get dried off, then filter comes out, oil drained and I look over everything. It’s just how I was taught to do it.
All good buddy… I guess we all do things a little differently, but starting the bike after washing was always something that I’ve done to keep from having a water related problem, after washing them.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
5/1/2022 3:14pm Edited Date/Time 5/1/2022 3:15pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Could very well be that it’s just coincidence haha. It was really the one thing in common that they all did. Like you and Tanner, I’m...

langhammx wrote:
All good buddy… I guess we all do things a little differently, but starting the bike after washing was always something that I’ve done to keep...
All good buddy… I guess we all do things a little differently, but starting the bike after washing was always something that I’ve done to keep from having a water related problem, after washing them.
That we do. We know how it goes, there’s always 500 ways to do things and get the same results. Some easier, some harder, some really odd and others we never thought of until seeing someone else do it.
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
609th
5/1/2022 3:40pm Edited Date/Time 5/1/2022 3:49pm
Try swapping out the CDI box if you know someone with a working one.

Bike looks effing sweet too, btw 👌
CPR
5/1/2022 3:54pm
Sounds electrical, possibly a stator issue, it’s likely the original and the windings breakdown eventually. Stators can be checked with a multi-meter, but you’ll need the standard resistance range readings to compare it to.
To check spark, take the plug cap off. Should be a bright cracking spark that’ll jump at least 5mm from the lead end to the cylinder head.
mxracer828
5/1/2022 4:45pm
So I sprayed some starter fluid and put in a new plug and acted exactly the same way. No sign of any life in it. It does have spark so I’m going to go out on a limb and say it’s the coil or stater? It does have spark
And it is blue but apparently not enough.
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
5/1/2022 5:50pm
mxracer828 wrote:
So I sprayed some starter fluid and put in a new plug and acted exactly the same way. No sign of any life in it. It...
So I sprayed some starter fluid and put in a new plug and acted exactly the same way. No sign of any life in it. It does have spark so I’m going to go out on a limb and say it’s the coil or stater? It does have spark
Have to tried to push/ bump start it ?
If so, what did it do ?
If not, try it and see if it has any sign of life.
mxracer828
5/1/2022 7:02pm
mxracer828 wrote:
So I sprayed some starter fluid and put in a new plug and acted exactly the same way. No sign of any life in it. It...
langhammx wrote:
Have to tried to push/ bump start it ? If so, what did it do ? If not, try it and see if it has any...
Have to tried to push/ bump start it ?
If so, what did it do ?
If not, try it and see if it has any sign of life.
Just tried to bump. Still acting like there is no life. I think I’m going to try a coil and then the stator. Tired of messing with it and it’s driving me f-ing crazy. Just sold my dual sport to get back into moto and a
2 stroke would be easy to work on
And way cheaper to rebuild then a 4 stroke. Well right now I’m puzzled
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
5/1/2022 7:31pm
mxracer828 wrote:
Just tried to bump. Still acting like there is no life. I think I’m going to try a coil and then the stator. Tired of messing...
Just tried to bump. Still acting like there is no life. I think I’m going to try a coil and then the stator. Tired of messing with it and it’s driving me f-ing crazy. Just sold my dual sport to get back into moto and a
2 stroke would be easy to work on
And way cheaper to rebuild then a 4 stroke. Well right now I’m puzzled
Yeah, that’s a bummer.
The fact that it ran fine the last time you started/rode it is the baffling part.
mxracer828
5/1/2022 7:54pm
917rider wrote:
Crank seals ?
Honestly I would say no because it’s a fresh
Build. How would I tell if the crank seal is toast. I guess at this point who the hell knows.
chaseodc
5/1/2022 7:57pm
Have you checked the reeds? And cleaned the frame ground where the coil mounts?
mxracer828
5/1/2022 8:11pm
chaseodc wrote:
Have you checked the reeds? And cleaned the frame ground where the coil mounts?
Yes sir. Pulled the reed cage out and inspected them and they look brand spanking new. I did get some scotch bright and sanded the tabs on the coil and the frame. Frame was powder coated but the tabs were not. No rust on the tabs but still went over it with the scotch bright pad.

Post a reply to: Rm250 won’t start

The Latest