Rim Anodizing

Rickyisms
5/10/2021 11:25am Edited Date/Time 5/11/2021 1:22pm
I am looking to have a set of DID wheels re-anodized. They are straight as an arrow, but the rim is pretty worn from the PO changing tires. I was thinking anodizing may cost less, I don't mind putting the work to strip the remaining anodizing and polishing the wheel for prep, but I also work at a dealer and can get new wheels pretty cheap, just trying to weigh out my options for my budget build.
|
mister2dt
5/10/2021 5:13pm
Rickyisms wrote:
I am looking to have a set of DID wheels re-anodized. They are straight as an arrow, but the rim is pretty worn from the PO...
I am looking to have a set of DID wheels re-anodized. They are straight as an arrow, but the rim is pretty worn from the PO changing tires. I was thinking anodizing may cost less, I don't mind putting the work to strip the remaining anodizing and polishing the wheel for prep, but I also work at a dealer and can get new wheels pretty cheap, just trying to weigh out my options for my budget build.
Depending on color, and what anodizers are close to you. May be cheaper to buy new rims. Also, turn around time. Again, depending on who you use and what volume they run different colors, you may have a one day turn around, it may be 2-3 weeks.
OldPro277
5/10/2021 5:27pm
Anodizing a set of rims cost me $65 . They'll chemically strip the old Ano off for free if you're bringing them back for color. Polishing and prep work is all on you though.
TeamGreen
5/10/2021 7:19pm
Rickyisms wrote:
I am looking to have a set of DID wheels re-anodized. They are straight as an arrow, but the rim is pretty worn from the PO...
In the '80s and '90s there were some good anodozing co's around Daytona-Cocoa & inland around Orlando (& other areas out near the cape) that we used for Aero-industry work. I'm betting there are still a few around.

Good luck.

The Shop

JBecker 72
5/11/2021 1:49am
OldPro277 wrote:
Anodizing a set of rims cost me $65 . They'll chemically strip the old Ano off for free if you're bringing them back for color. Polishing...
Anodizing a set of rims cost me $65 . They'll chemically strip the old Ano off for free if you're bringing them back for color. Polishing and prep work is all on you though.
That’s cheaper than I would have guessed.
Rickyisms
5/11/2021 7:15am
OldPro277 wrote:
Anodizing a set of rims cost me $65 . They'll chemically strip the old Ano off for free if you're bringing them back for color. Polishing...
JBecker 72 wrote:
That's what I thought as well, I'll have to call around and see what kinda prices I'm looking at for Ano. I would be looking around $250 for a new set of DIDs at my cost
Markee
Fantasy
2006th
5/11/2021 7:31am Edited Date/Time 5/11/2021 7:32am
I've used these guys before, good turn around time and the price was pretty good.

https://www.colorsinc.com/

Its was like 50 a rim, 30 for a hub.
OldPro277
5/11/2021 8:02am
OldPro277 wrote:
JBecker 72 wrote:
I've probably gotten 50 sets anodized over the past 10 years . It used to be $45/set. At that time $ 45 was the "minimum batch charge". Its been about a year and a half since I've gotten any pieces done, so I'm not sure what effect Covid may have had on prices, if any, but its still going to be SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper than new rims . I'd get them done for you ,but by the time you pay shipping both ways ,that wouldn't make any sense. Surely there's a few local platers in your area that can handle it.
Rickyisms
5/11/2021 8:29am
Markee wrote:
I've used these guys before, good turn around time and the price was pretty good.

That's not bad at all, I was pondering on what to do with my OEM hubs, was either gonna see if I can have them anodized or polish them and then clear cerakote.
OldPro277
5/11/2021 9:07am
Markee wrote:

Rickyisms wrote:
That's not bad at all, I was pondering on what to do with my OEM hubs, was either gonna see if I can have them anodized...
That's not bad at all, I was pondering on what to do with my OEM hubs, was either gonna see if I can have them anodized or polish them and then clear cerakote.
Unless your hubs are billet /machined you probably will not like the result of anodizing . Cast aluminum parts are very porous and do not dye evenly and basically look like ass. The exception is "hard anodizing" which will work ok on cast pieces. However that is more expensive and very limited on colors. Your much better off getting the hubs Cerakoted. That being said- I HAVE had some luck on cast hubs by machining off the webbing and then polishing to a bright finish, then having color or clear anodized , but still doesn't come out as nice billet pieces will.
Rickyisms
5/11/2021 9:15am
Markee wrote:

Rickyisms wrote:
That's not bad at all, I was pondering on what to do with my OEM hubs, was either gonna see if I can have them anodized...
OldPro277 wrote:
Unless your hubs are billet /machined you probably will not like the result of anodizing . Cast aluminum parts are very porous and do not dye...
Unless your hubs are billet /machined you probably will not like the result of anodizing . Cast aluminum parts are very porous and do not dye evenly and basically look like ass. The exception is "hard anodizing" which will work ok on cast pieces. However that is more expensive and very limited on colors. Your much better off getting the hubs Cerakoted. That being said- I HAVE had some luck on cast hubs by machining off the webbing and then polishing to a bright finish, then having color or clear anodized , but still doesn't come out as nice billet pieces will.
Good info. I will have to inquire with the anodizers on what they would reccomend.
Markee
Fantasy
2006th
5/11/2021 9:26am
That is true. Had stock ktm hubs done. Even though they are machined, they came out matte looking compared the rims.
Markee
Fantasy
2006th
5/11/2021 1:10pm Edited Date/Time 5/11/2021 1:11pm
It's not far off.

Rickyisms
5/11/2021 1:22pm
Markee wrote:
It's not far off. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/05/11/492289/s1200_Screenshot_20210511_160850.jpg[/img]
It's not far off.

That actually doesn't look bad.
Markee
Fantasy
2006th
5/11/2021 2:50pm
After 200 hours, still looked great other than the standard tire roll line on the rear. Loved that bike.

Post a reply to: Rim Anodizing

The Latest