Riding with pros, your stories..

1-forty-8
Edited Date/Time 4/3/2015 11:30am
Watching the JS7 testing videos and seeing him ride around with other guys on the track (to which I presume most are just your average weekend warrior) had me thinking I wonder what it's like to have THE James Bubba Stewart come past you at one of these places..

I never really got to ride with anyone all that fast when I rode, but when I was on the bike I'd go around a section and think to myself, there's no way you can do that any quicker! Then the next lap some kid on a 85 would go past me around it like I was stood still (yeah I sucked lol).

So what's it like to ride with these guys? The pros? Have any of you guys ever ridden with the likes of RV or JS7 in so.cal? Be interested in hearing your stories!
|
eins4eins
3/28/2015 3:44am
during winter there are only a few tracks open. One of them is the winter track in grevenbroich...i spent every weekend there during those cold and wet months, and most of the times many Pro's are there. Coldenhoff, Nagl, Schiffer, Febvre, etc....

Also Herlings is there many times and i'm always amazed how fast he is going trough those deep sand whoops, but the most interesting thing: his bikes look like pieces of shit and by the noise of the engine and the extreme smell of oil, you would think it won't last one lap on the track.
MX114
3/28/2015 4:30am Edited Date/Time 3/28/2015 4:31am
Summer of 1998 or maybe it was 99 I was 15 a or 16 yr old am rider. CaseyJohnson, Jiri Dostal, and Brock Sellards came up to a local track here in upstate NY called Frozen Ocean for a big money race. It was the off week before Broome Tioga National. At the time Casey Johnson was hanging out with my good friend from the races sister. So me and my friend stayed
all week with them practicing at frozen ocean. There's a HUGE triple in the middle of the outdoor track that I never thought I'd have the sack to hit at the time, but with encouragement and pressure... I ended up hucking it a few times. We got to see those guys in there element and let's just say it was an interesting and eye opening week!

As a mini rider rider rode with Chris Coleman allot, then raced allot with Bob Kiniry, Paul Carpenter, and Ryan Mils.
3/28/2015 4:38am Edited Date/Time 3/28/2015 4:40am
The VetsMXdN at the Farleigh Castle GP track in England is a good chance for us mortals to share the track with ( notice I didn't say "race with") some of the former GP and U.S. stars. ( I think I counted 11 former world or US champs at the one meeting couple of years back)

Last year, Doug Dubach was awesome in every race in the over 50 class, led from the front and lapped half the field, me included, all whilst looking smooth as. Junkyard Dog has been pretty awesome to watch, though he didn't dominate his group last year. Cool to see Guy Cooper again too, though he was outright shocked at the speed of some of the 'unknown' old guys, and finished well down.

But, above all, seeing JMB race a 500 Honda again was something never forgotten. Big bike, ridden in the big gears, unique lines and not just flowing, but absolutely MELTING his way around the track. Makes Pourcel look like a wild man. Unforgettable. then to cap it all, he gives the most humble, natural down to earth interview ever and says that was his comeback, that's all folks, no more racing. The word Legend is over used, but not for that guy.
3/28/2015 4:48am Edited Date/Time 3/28/2015 4:49am
I was at a rinky-dink practice track in the ATL in the early 00's. Ezra pulled up with CR250 in the back of his truck. He geared up with a helmet painted like the Falcons. Shredded the track. Couldn't believe how much speed he was able to carry through the corners.

The Shop

1-forty-8
3/28/2015 4:53am
I was at a rinky-dink practice track in the ATL in the early 00's. Ezra pulled up with CR250 in the back of his truck. He...
I was at a rinky-dink practice track in the ATL in the early 00's. Ezra pulled up with CR250 in the back of his truck. He geared up with a helmet painted like the Falcons. Shredded the track. Couldn't believe how much speed he was able to carry through the corners.
Riding with Ezra Lusk.. That is awesome.

Cool stories guys! Keep um coming!
CHaynes
3/28/2015 4:58am Edited Date/Time 3/28/2015 5:00am
I used to work/travel/practice bike mechanic for a very fast rider. In 2006 we stayed in Oklahoma for about a month and a half one winter and rode with Robbie Reynard at his old SX practice track (which is now Trey Canards house/track). Robbie is an amazing rider, thats as simple as I can put it. Doing sprint laps he would go out and break the fastest lap by 1 second every time. We also spent some time in Stillwater with Kenny Bartram riding at Cooperland. That was where I first saw Brett Cue ride. He was fast but also had great jumping ability so he was pretty fun to watch too. It really sucks Robbie had to deal with so many injuries, but thats the nature of the sport I guess. The guy I worked for is pretty good in his own right, he dealt with a few injuries of his own. He chose a different course for his career and his life is just one big circus now.
3/28/2015 5:00am
With many of the harescrambles and GNCC type events I partripate in, you're out there for 2-3 hours with those guys. It's absolutley mind bending how fast they are through the woods and the moto track when they are attached. even on seemingly flat ground they are in the air as much as they are putting the power to the ground. They use small bumps and berns to jump and bank off of.
3/28/2015 5:09am
eins4eins wrote:
during winter there are only a few tracks open. One of them is the winter track in grevenbroich...i spent every weekend there during those cold and...
during winter there are only a few tracks open. One of them is the winter track in grevenbroich...i spent every weekend there during those cold and wet months, and most of the times many Pro's are there. Coldenhoff, Nagl, Schiffer, Febvre, etc....

Also Herlings is there many times and i'm always amazed how fast he is going trough those deep sand whoops, but the most interesting thing: his bikes look like pieces of shit and by the noise of the engine and the extreme smell of oil, you would think it won't last one lap on the track.
I don't know how true this is but a friend (who's a MXGP team manager) told me that KTM were trying to calm Herlings down a while back. He was told to take his bikes back to the team and have a break from riding. Herlings didn't want to do it but in the end he did as he was told. On the way home he called in at the KTM dealer and bought a bike so he could go back out riding with his friends.

Is it true? I don't know for sure but I have some Pro mates and that's the kind of thing they'd do - they almost can't function if they don't get to ride their bike. One of them even bought a used, wrong colour bike and changed the plastics and graphics to try and fool any casual looks until his new allocation arrived!

Two Bit
3/28/2015 5:21am
I had a similar experience about an 80 cc rider that was mad fast when I was practising at his local track
at Newry Victoria ,Australia during the 1980's.
I was going pretty hard (so I thought ) on my kx 125 and also trying learning the track when this kid was blowing everyone away
and made me want to get the bike back on the trailer and go home ha.
The guy was stupid fast... his name was Danny Moulton, who went on to road racing and I believe
is doing very well for himself to this day.

I also had the chance to line up with Jeff Leisk in the open class when he did the Gippsland circuit a few times
and also some real fast locals like Trevor Williams Pete Whittington (sic?) and Troy Doolan.
I wasnt much good tho but I enjoyed the experience none the less.

1-forty-8
3/28/2015 5:23am
ttproducts wrote:
I don't know how true this is but a friend (who's a MXGP team manager) told me that KTM were trying to calm Herlings down a...
I don't know how true this is but a friend (who's a MXGP team manager) told me that KTM were trying to calm Herlings down a while back. He was told to take his bikes back to the team and have a break from riding. Herlings didn't want to do it but in the end he did as he was told. On the way home he called in at the KTM dealer and bought a bike so he could go back out riding with his friends.

Is it true? I don't know for sure but I have some Pro mates and that's the kind of thing they'd do - they almost can't function if they don't get to ride their bike. One of them even bought a used, wrong colour bike and changed the plastics and graphics to try and fool any casual looks until his new allocation arrived!

Yeah I read that same story. Everts said a similar thing last year just before the last round, coming off that injury. Everts basically told him to chill out and not ride before the GP. Herlings went and rode anyway and hurt himself. So I definitely believe that story has some truth to it.
Flip109
3/28/2015 5:24am Edited Date/Time 3/28/2015 6:39am
Short and Heath Voss a few times. Both riders don't look like they are going that fast. Looks like they aren't even trying. Then you jump in behind them and 3 corners later you can't see em lol. I would LOVE to jump on a track with someone like JS, RV, or Herlings and witness that.
Flip109
3/28/2015 5:26am
eins4eins wrote:
during winter there are only a few tracks open. One of them is the winter track in grevenbroich...i spent every weekend there during those cold and...

ttproducts wrote:
I don't know how true this is but a friend (who's a MXGP team manager) told me that KTM were trying to calm Herlings down a...

That's wild about Herlings
1-forty-8
3/28/2015 5:29am
Two Bit wrote:
I had a similar experience about an 80 cc rider that was mad fast when I was practising at his local track at Newry Victoria ,Australia...
I had a similar experience about an 80 cc rider that was mad fast when I was practising at his local track
at Newry Victoria ,Australia during the 1980's.
I was going pretty hard (so I thought ) on my kx 125 and also trying learning the track when this kid was blowing everyone away
and made me want to get the bike back on the trailer and go home ha.
The guy was stupid fast... his name was Danny Moulton, who went on to road racing and I believe
is doing very well for himself to this day.

I also had the chance to line up with Jeff Leisk in the open class when he did the Gippsland circuit a few times
and also some real fast locals like Trevor Williams Pete Whittington (sic?) and Troy Doolan.
I wasnt much good tho but I enjoyed the experience none the less.

I hate it when we lose guys to road racing! I understand why, more money, less injuries.. But damn.
eins4eins
3/28/2015 6:03am
eins4eins wrote:

ttproducts wrote:

its definiatly true. Herlings bought a 450 for practive, when he got no other bike. In this Video he rides his own 450.

I wonder how many bikes, engines or parts in generel he goes through. i can't think of any rider that spends more time on the bike than him, as he is riding almost everyday and always doing lon motos.

hvaughn88
3/28/2015 6:08am
CHaynes wrote:
I used to work/travel/practice bike mechanic for a very fast rider. In 2006 we stayed in Oklahoma for about a month and a half one winter...
I used to work/travel/practice bike mechanic for a very fast rider. In 2006 we stayed in Oklahoma for about a month and a half one winter and rode with Robbie Reynard at his old SX practice track (which is now Trey Canards house/track). Robbie is an amazing rider, thats as simple as I can put it. Doing sprint laps he would go out and break the fastest lap by 1 second every time. We also spent some time in Stillwater with Kenny Bartram riding at Cooperland. That was where I first saw Brett Cue ride. He was fast but also had great jumping ability so he was pretty fun to watch too. It really sucks Robbie had to deal with so many injuries, but thats the nature of the sport I guess. The guy I worked for is pretty good in his own right, he dealt with a few injuries of his own. He chose a different course for his career and his life is just one big circus now.
TP?
KGAspeed
3/28/2015 6:24am
CHaynes wrote:
I used to work/travel/practice bike mechanic for a very fast rider. In 2006 we stayed in Oklahoma for about a month and a half one winter...
hvaughn88 wrote:
TP?
Bingo.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
3/28/2015 6:29am
Grew up pitted next to RC, James, Milsaps, Alessi, Chisolm, Skinner and so many more racing the gold cup, FL series, winter ams, miniO etc. RC would come back and ride lap after lap during the am races when he was peaking on the Kawi. I mean round and round while class after class gate dropped. So cool riding with them. Tim Ferry was a local at my track when I was 12/13 and his grandparents rv would take up the whole pits and he was the only one with one. John Dowd would often ride Thundercross. I am sure the Cali locals ride with all the pros. Ronnie T used to have riding classes at our private track.
KGAspeed
3/28/2015 6:30am
When I lived in California, I rode at Cahuilla quite a bit - far-and-away my favorite track down there (and by the way, all the others that you always hear about were a total disappointment - flat MX tracks were nothing compared to what the Midwest has).

There were many days at Cahuilla that resembled an Outdoor National. I recall one somewhat-rainy day in particular: DV, Tortelli, MC (past retirement of course, but just having fun), Roncada, and a ton more.

It was eye-opening how fast those guys go when they fly by you five feet away. Definitely a great experience - no other fan of any other sport can say that.
3/28/2015 6:35am Edited Date/Time 3/28/2015 6:36am
No major names but I have raced with Richard Mike Jones back in 2003 I think it was (Peterborough), former British champs rider. I say raced... I personally didn't see much of him until he came round to lap me. The corner speed was just unbelievable - that was what I remember the most. Rock hard slick dirt, flat corners and he'd just speedway round them like nothing. Both mesmerizing and gutting all at once. Hard to believe how fast the riders ahead of him on the pro scene must have been going.
Wildeye511
3/28/2015 6:43am
Back in 1994, was riding out at our usual practice spot. It was a make-shift track out in the woods near McKenna, WA. Taking a break and Lance Smail pulls up with his KTM. Thought it was funny cause he was with another guy and rode the other guys Suzuki for most of the day. Dude was hauling ass and just railing all the berms. Very impressive to watch....
1-forty-8
3/28/2015 6:44am Edited Date/Time 3/28/2015 6:45am
No major names but I have raced with Richard Mike Jones back in 2003 I think it was (Peterborough), former British champs rider. I say raced...
No major names but I have raced with Richard Mike Jones back in 2003 I think it was (Peterborough), former British champs rider. I say raced... I personally didn't see much of him until he came round to lap me. The corner speed was just unbelievable - that was what I remember the most. Rock hard slick dirt, flat corners and he'd just speedway round them like nothing. Both mesmerizing and gutting all at once. Hard to believe how fast the riders ahead of him on the pro scene must have been going.
My friend was out practising the other day. He said he'd never felt so good on his bike. Coming around a sweeping corner on what he thought was the outside and next thing he knows someone overtakes him on the outside! He pulled in the next lap, and in his head he was done lol the bike was going on ebay that night! The guy that overtook him pulled into the pits, took off his helmet and it turned out to be Kristian Whatley! My mate felt a little better after seeing who it was, but said how demoralizing it was haha
AzTrooper
3/28/2015 6:54am
In 1994 I was riding with a friend at Shane Trittlers SX track at Castaic getting ready to ride amateur day at Anaheim. I was out on the track and the next think I know Mike Kiedrowski, Damon Huffman, Eric Kehoe, Bader Menneh had showed up and were on the track with me. I was a novice at the time and not a very fast one at the time and I couldnt get over how fast they were. Mike Kiedrowski was really cool. He actually would pass me and then slow down and let me follow him thru sections of the track. Huffman was riding 125's for Suzuki understandably kept away from spodes like me Smile I remember Bader passing me in mid air so fast I could actually feel the wind from his bike as he passed me. I didnt stay on the track too long after that. I had been riding for over an hr when they got there and I knew these guys were riding to practice for Anaheim and the last thing they needed was a spode like me on the track so out or respect I pulled off and watched them.Mike Kiedrowski came up to me and said hi and I thanked him for slowing down and showing me how to do parts of the track. He thanked me for keeping to the right when they were coming up to pass me. I ave most of it recorded on VHS. It was a lot of fun.
John
3/28/2015 6:59am
1-forty-8 wrote:
My friend was out practising the other day. He said he'd never felt so good on his bike. Coming around a sweeping corner on what he...
My friend was out practising the other day. He said he'd never felt so good on his bike. Coming around a sweeping corner on what he thought was the outside and next thing he knows someone overtakes him on the outside! He pulled in the next lap, and in his head he was done lol the bike was going on ebay that night! The guy that overtook him pulled into the pits, took off his helmet and it turned out to be Kristian Whatley! My mate felt a little better after seeing who it was, but said how demoralizing it was haha
Smile Yeah it's crazy. That's cool to be on the track with Kristian Whatley though! I'm fine about it now but back when I was younger and had utterly unrealistic goals about being pro... it was a pretty strong wake-up call that day. And then like I said you have to consider the guys that are then far ahead of them in the sport, like RV and AC etc. Doesn't seem possible to ride any faster.
Rowlands
3/28/2015 7:11am
I have rode in the same race as Dave Thorpe Smile it was May last year when he rode in the evo class at hawkstone park. It was an awesome experience even though I only saw him around the 1st couple of bends Smile
Steve125
Fantasy
2779th
3/28/2015 7:27am
I've been lucky enough line up at the gate with guys like Windham, Lusk, Henry, Dowd and others but as far as practice goes... I did a 3 day Gary Bailey school with TP back in the 90's, and around the same time turned some laps with guys like Rodney Smith (when he was racing the GPs), also Tallon and Tyson Vohland, Todd Dehoop, Kieth Johnson, and most recently, I hit a sweet tabletop along side Doug Henry last summer.. Definitely a memorable moment.
One of the most impressive moments though was watching Todd Dehoop hit massive transfers at Reddick MX track in Fl. He was riding for Honda of Troy and Eric Kehoe was the manager. The whole team was there. We all stopped and watched the insane leaps.
I miss those days big time..
OldYZRider1
3/28/2015 7:44am
In 1979 I was a MX newbie but I went and spectated at a track close to me in Sparland, IL. The announcer said there would be a couple of local pros racing the 250A class as they had an off weekend from the National circuit. I wish I knew who they were. Anyway B class ran five laps, A class seven. When the 250A class ran those two guys took off and by the end were very close to lapping the field twice. I just was amazed at how much faster those guys were than the A guys.

I started racing there the following year and was really winded after 5 laps (maybe 10-12 minutes). I thought at the time I was pretty fit; I was working in the family construction business and doing alot of physical labor and was pretty stout. But it was pretty sobering to think that the A class raced another 4-5 minutes and that the guys running professionally raced for 45 min + 2 in places like CA with the heat.
rmzrider91
3/28/2015 7:44am
I went to one of the Shift "ride on tour" a few years ago and Emig was there. It was at the badlands so they were out on the dunes doing some shoots, but then they came over to the track to ride for about a hour or so. I fell in behind him a few times just to see what it was like. I know there is a shot that Shift has to have of me getting blasted in a turn because they were down there taking pics in that corner. Then had him come around me on the long curvy back straight. I had a gopro on but I shit you not right after he passed me I got a leaf stuck on the camera! But it was a fun day, my buddies and I were sittin on the side of the track and he came over and talked to us for about 10-15 minutes also.
sesker15
3/28/2015 8:09am
CHaynes wrote:
How about that kid that rides for KTM? He is kinda fast too! LOL
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
3/28/2015 8:13am Edited Date/Time 3/28/2015 8:14am
I was racing At a
Track on the wisconsin
/minnesota boarder
In 1992
The track was extremely
Sandy
And is still in use .
Called Grants burg
Any way Donnie Schmitt
On a Yamaha and his team mate at the time where there both on 250's
and just staying on the track
During the gate drops
It seemed like they where out there for hours
Just flying by everyone
And jumping farther on all the jumps than anyone had ever though of !
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
3/28/2015 8:16am Edited Date/Time 3/28/2015 8:25am
I grew up in Palm Springs and we had friends whose families were pretty high up in the Indian tribes. So our Indian friends had a nice MX track built right next to the base of the mountain by tahquitz Falls, a famous party place for naked spring breakers ......even photos of the Doors Jim Morrison there. Anyway I would ride that track almost daily. I was there by myself one summer day and in rolls Brian Myerscouph. This was in his winning Nationals time for factory Suzuki. Anyway I was a decent intermediate at the time! local not nationally. He proceeded to come by and lap me about every 6 laps . The speed difference was incredible. Not to mention I would ride 15 minutes and be exhausted from the brutally whoop filled track and he would run for 45 minutes and never slow down.

Now my claim to fame is embarrassing . When I finally moved up to local Pro level for the last year I raced as a kid (I only kept at it about a year when I realized I was too far away form those guys skill wise) my local track De Anza cycle park had a big purse race. Johnny Omara showed up when he was riding those white Mugen Hondas. I am proud to say that although he smoked everyone that day, In a 20 minute moto he did not lap me! He was on my ass at the end but I held him off on the last downhill so I got in my full race . Whooohoooo!

Post a reply to: Riding with pros, your stories..

The Latest