Riding with gallstones?

kawiX522
Whatsup guys. I was in the hospital since 4:30am saturday with serious sharp pain in my chest and upper back, I just got home from the hospital.. I have a gallstone in my gallbladder and have to get it removed, keep in mind im only 18, not in anyway overweight or unhealthy, i excersise almost everyday too. Now i have to get my gallbladder removed soon, and I decided to quit vaping(juul) and i wont be smoking weed for a while. (I only smoked about once or twice on weekends)my senior proms also coming up which means I cant drink.. or do anything of that nature there. Ill be sober as a rock. Doc also said its not a good idea to ride for a little while, which was the worst thing to hear.. but i cant see why. Have any of you experienced something like this? I need to ride asap, its been 2 weeks since i was able to head out to my local track. I was supposed to head to englishtown saturday but I ended up in the hospital that morning.
|
trwright3
5/6/2018 4:28am
I’d probably listen to what my doctor says over some guys on the internet you don’t know. ?
kawiX522
5/6/2018 4:57am
trwright3 wrote:
I’d probably listen to what my doctor says over some guys on the internet you don’t know. ?
I mean yeah some things in life are black and white but i cant see how riding my dirtbike would affect a gallstone if he said im okay to participate in gym class and do what i need to do.. makes no sense
VilloFan951
5/6/2018 5:08am
I had the same thing in November except one of my stones broke loose and put me in the hospital for a month with the worst pain I have ever felt in my life anytime I did anything I was in a huge amount of pain
kawiX522
5/6/2018 5:16am
I had the same thing in November except one of my stones broke loose and put me in the hospital for a month with the worst...
I had the same thing in November except one of my stones broke loose and put me in the hospital for a month with the worst pain I have ever felt in my life anytime I did anything I was in a huge amount of pain
Damn that sucks man.. i could only imagine the pain. The pain i had was all trough out my back and chest, and i mustve thrown up 20 times

The Shop

VilloFan951
5/6/2018 5:37am
Sounds about right lol I did the same had some blood in there and was put in icu for a week because it started to kill my pancreas and my internals were failing. Definitely not something u wanna mess around with. Just had my surgery a little over a month ago and I feel good just some things I can’t eat
kawiX522
5/6/2018 2:58pm
Holy shit man yours sounds worse than mine... also what foods do you avoid now? And how long was it till you got back on the bike??
edgo897
5/6/2018 4:00pm Edited Date/Time 5/6/2018 4:01pm
Did you get a Hida scan to confirm
There is a stone? I had the same pain and a stone showed on an xray. But the Hida was negative do I kept my gallbladder. It has not caused me any more problems.

I'm an RN on a GI surgery floor. The surgery is simple. Its only two or three two inch incisions and an
overnight hospital stay. Get it done and you are back on the bike within two weeks easy.

Ed
APLMAN99
5/6/2018 4:06pm
If you get an "attack" in gym class, it'd be much easier to deal with than if you are out at the track. I only had 2 real episodes before having my gall bladder removed, and the second one involved an ambulance ride. Thought I was dying for sure.

Afterwards, it'd just be letting the surgery wounds heal. Those shouldn't take that long. But start writing down the things you eat because most likely you will begin having some explosive diarrhea within minutes of eating and it'll be good to figure out those things that cause it as quickly as possible. And I don't mean just "normal" diarrhea, I mean the kind where you start packing a few extra pair of clothes and some Clorox wipes in your car just in case type of diarrhea!

Mine was removed 20 years ago, and the only thing that is different is the way it affects the foods you eat. I have read that most people sort of stop experiencing the worst of the symptoms, but to this day I react violently for any of the Pam cooking sprays and the like. Some salad dressings too. I set a timer so that at 25 minutes after I begin eating, I make my way to a bathroom. I'd rather get there a few minutes early than a few minutes late, if you know what I mean.

And on a positive note, at least the gall stones have got you to stop with the douche flute just a bit.......
kawiX522
5/7/2018 10:54am
edgo897 wrote:
Did you get a Hida scan to confirm There is a stone? I had the same pain and a stone showed on an xray. But the...
There is a stone? I had the same pain and a stone showed on an xray. But the Hida was negative do I kept my gallbladder. It has not caused me any more problems.

I'm an RN on a GI surgery floor. The surgery is simple. Its only two or three two inch incisions and an
overnight hospital stay. Get it done and you are back on the bike within two weeks easy.

Ed
I have not gotten a hida scan yet, but I want to immediately now. I just feel like im way too young to already get my gallbladder completely removed. Were you put on medication or did all your pain just stop suddenly? I have been drinking lots of water and trying to eat healthy foods at all times. thanks!
kawiX522
5/7/2018 10:55am
APLMAN99 wrote:
If you get an "attack" in gym class, it'd be much easier to deal with than if you are out at the track. I only had...
If you get an "attack" in gym class, it'd be much easier to deal with than if you are out at the track. I only had 2 real episodes before having my gall bladder removed, and the second one involved an ambulance ride. Thought I was dying for sure.

Afterwards, it'd just be letting the surgery wounds heal. Those shouldn't take that long. But start writing down the things you eat because most likely you will begin having some explosive diarrhea within minutes of eating and it'll be good to figure out those things that cause it as quickly as possible. And I don't mean just "normal" diarrhea, I mean the kind where you start packing a few extra pair of clothes and some Clorox wipes in your car just in case type of diarrhea!

Mine was removed 20 years ago, and the only thing that is different is the way it affects the foods you eat. I have read that most people sort of stop experiencing the worst of the symptoms, but to this day I react violently for any of the Pam cooking sprays and the like. Some salad dressings too. I set a timer so that at 25 minutes after I begin eating, I make my way to a bathroom. I'd rather get there a few minutes early than a few minutes late, if you know what I mean.

And on a positive note, at least the gall stones have got you to stop with the douche flute just a bit.......
ugh, not looking forward to this not trying to shit myself at prom lmfao could you imagine. Thank you for the tips tho!! ANd yeah F*ck that juul stuff. Complete garbage, glad I broke mine
kawiX522
5/7/2018 10:57am
Also, did you have to completely change your diet after you got it removed? Or were you able to still eat most of the foods you previously did?
kawiX522
5/7/2018 11:01am
the pain was something ive never felt before.. and the fact that I was throwing up non stop in the ER waiting room bathroom was not helping. I sat there from 4:30 to around 8am. worst hospital IVe ever been too...
msp138
5/7/2018 11:50am
edgo897 wrote:
Did you get a Hida scan to confirm There is a stone? I had the same pain and a stone showed on an xray. But the...

Ed
I am a Nuc Med Tech and I do HIDA scans. It won't actually show stones, but looks for function of your Gallbladder. Ultra sound confirms stones. Sometimes stones are the reason for the poor function. It can also be used for ruling out an infection in your gallbladder, which would result in a drain or to take it out completely. If the stone caused an infection in the gallbadder trust me you'd scream for them to take it out. In my experience people with an infected gallbadder are in serious pain.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
5/7/2018 12:20pm Edited Date/Time 5/7/2018 12:26pm
kawiX522 wrote:
Damn that sucks man.. i could only imagine the pain. The pain i had was all trough out my back and chest, and i mustve thrown...
Damn that sucks man.. i could only imagine the pain. The pain i had was all trough out my back and chest, and i mustve thrown up 20 times
I've been through it three times, twice they recurred after having my gall bladder removed. On one occasion it took a week, two trips to the ER and several round of ultrasound, MRI and CT to locate the stone. We're not talking big particles here.

A nurse I spoke with had had them, too, and she said the pain was worse than childbirth.

There is logic to avoiding a lot of jarring if you still have your gall bladder.

Generally what will provoke a stone attack it is fatty foods; the bile is what helps you digest that, reserved in the gallbladder after production in the liver. Stones often form in that reservoir. You'll have less tolerance for some fatty foods after removing the gallbladder, but won't be pushing a stone out to the bile duct when you gallbladder tries to release bile.

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
5/7/2018 12:28pm Edited Date/Time 5/7/2018 12:29pm
msp138 wrote:
I am a Nuc Med Tech and I do HIDA scans. It won't actually show stones, but looks for function of your Gallbladder. Ultra sound confirms...
I am a Nuc Med Tech and I do HIDA scans. It won't actually show stones, but looks for function of your Gallbladder. Ultra sound confirms stones. Sometimes stones are the reason for the poor function. It can also be used for ruling out an infection in your gallbladder, which would result in a drain or to take it out completely. If the stone caused an infection in the gallbadder trust me you'd scream for them to take it out. In my experience people with an infected gallbadder are in serious pain.
Not to mention subject to potentially fatal peritonitis if the infected bladder ruptures.
RCMXracing
5/7/2018 2:50pm
You will be fine. Don’t need a Gallbladder. Agree with others about pain...mine had a Golf ball sized single stone. I’ve had all kinds of injuries and surgeries, pain level max 5. That pain was 11. It gets infected and swells up. Crazy you’re only 18! Surgery and recovery NBD.
For a while - weeks, months avoid greasy foods, but sometimes a piece of damn toast will send you running for the shitter! Eventually you can eat and drink everything.
Good luck!
edgo897
5/7/2018 3:17pm
Kidney stone hurt more, followed by cancer bone pain, then gallstones. Ask me how I know. Can't vouch for childbirth.
edgo897
5/7/2018 3:22pm
edgo897 wrote:

Ed
msp138 wrote:
I am a Nuc Med Tech and I do HIDA scans. It won't actually show stones, but looks for function of your Gallbladder. Ultra sound confirms...
Its crazy but I had the classic gallstone pain, and a gallstone on a PET/CT, but a clear ultrasound. Hida was normal EF then the stone was gone on the next PET/CT. I got lucky I guess.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
5/7/2018 3:43pm
edgo897 wrote:
Kidney stone hurt more, followed by cancer bone pain, then gallstones. Ask me how I know. Can't vouch for childbirth.
Oh sure, you can remember those things but can't remember being born. Sheesh. Wink

Good fortune and health to you; it's a grind when your body turns on you.
msp138
5/7/2018 4:17pm Edited Date/Time 5/7/2018 4:18pm
edgo897 wrote:

Ed
msp138 wrote:
edgo897 wrote:
Its crazy but I had the classic gallstone pain, and a gallstone on a PET/CT, but a clear ultrasound. Hida was normal EF then the stone...
Its crazy but I had the classic gallstone pain, and a gallstone on a PET/CT, but a clear ultrasound. Hida was normal EF then the stone was gone on the next PET/CT. I got lucky I guess.
If you had a PET/CT the last of your worries is a gallstone. Surprised they even mentioned it in the report people live with stones their whole life. Glad to hear your still hanging tough through the other stuff. It's a bitch but modern medicine is incredible these days. I agree with the others. Either deal with it now as a small problem or wait till it ruins a whole year of your life.
ruskymx
5/7/2018 4:24pm
It's better to have elective surgery than emergency surgery. I had mine out in 2014 or so. I knew I had gall stones for a bit and kept pushing off having surgery. After my second attack, I said f*** that take the f***** out! My surgery was early in the morning on a Tuesday and I was on my couch around 2:00. My surgery was laparoscopic so just three small incisions. Thursday morning I was ready to go back to work, but my Dr wouldn't let me return until the following Monday and I have a desk job. I personally think that was a bit overkill, but my employer wouldn't let me return until the dr said so because of liability.

As far as my diet afterwards, I eat pretty much the same stuff as I did before with a few exceptions. I became lactose intolerant. Luckily, I figured this out when I was at home because there was no "pinching it" or holding it in. Pizza will get me too but not quite as bad or as fast. I still get heartburn too but not every single day like before and don't have to take Pepcid AC everyday like before. I just use it as I need it depending on what I eat.

kawiX522
5/7/2018 4:27pm
RCMXracing wrote:
You will be fine. Don’t need a Gallbladder. Agree with others about pain...mine had a Golf ball sized single stone. I’ve had all kinds of injuries...
You will be fine. Don’t need a Gallbladder. Agree with others about pain...mine had a Golf ball sized single stone. I’ve had all kinds of injuries and surgeries, pain level max 5. That pain was 11. It gets infected and swells up. Crazy you’re only 18! Surgery and recovery NBD.
For a while - weeks, months avoid greasy foods, but sometimes a piece of damn toast will send you running for the shitter! Eventually you can eat and drink everything.
Good luck!
Thanks bud! I know its so strange im so young to have them, Im thinking it has to do with me not drinking enough water while im consuming so much protein. That pain is seriously something, its no joke! Glad to hear youre better now dude ! cheers
kawiX522
5/7/2018 4:31pm
ruskymx wrote:
It's better to have elective surgery than emergency surgery. I had mine out in 2014 or so. I knew I had gall stones for a bit...
It's better to have elective surgery than emergency surgery. I had mine out in 2014 or so. I knew I had gall stones for a bit and kept pushing off having surgery. After my second attack, I said f*** that take the f***** out! My surgery was early in the morning on a Tuesday and I was on my couch around 2:00. My surgery was laparoscopic so just three small incisions. Thursday morning I was ready to go back to work, but my Dr wouldn't let me return until the following Monday and I have a desk job. I personally think that was a bit overkill, but my employer wouldn't let me return until the dr said so because of liability.

As far as my diet afterwards, I eat pretty much the same stuff as I did before with a few exceptions. I became lactose intolerant. Luckily, I figured this out when I was at home because there was no "pinching it" or holding it in. Pizza will get me too but not quite as bad or as fast. I still get heartburn too but not every single day like before and don't have to take Pepcid AC everyday like before. I just use it as I need it depending on what I eat.

thats crazy! How far apart were ur attacks? My first one was about a week and a half before this one. I was in school when mine took place and I ended up going home, i literally couldn't breathe it sucked. The second was so much worse! and im scared of having another attack since I think im gonna wait till after prom (May 30th) to have it removed. It may sound like a bad idea but Im gonna have to stick it out. Also, when you had the gallstones did you find that consuming alcohol affected it or triggered any attack either minor or large? Glad to hear youre doing better!
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
5/7/2018 4:40pm
I developed stones and had my gallbladder removed when I was in college about 10 years ago. I was hospitalized for a few days with pancreatitis which it caused so even though I didn’t want to get an organ removed (doesn’t ever seem like a good idea if avoidable), I didn’t want to ever go through that again.

What my body can tolerate as far as food and alcohol has changed drastically since getting it removed. Hard exercise can also create trips to the Oval Office. I remember the first time I drank after getting it removed, I was drunk after 1 beer. You can build a tolerance back up but your liver won’t have the backup it once did so you’ll need to tone it down.

As far as riding... it’s going to be a few weeks after surgery until you’d be able to I’d guess.
ruskymx
5/7/2018 4:59pm
kawiX522 wrote:
thats crazy! How far apart were ur attacks? My first one was about a week and a half before this one. I was in school when...
thats crazy! How far apart were ur attacks? My first one was about a week and a half before this one. I was in school when mine took place and I ended up going home, i literally couldn't breathe it sucked. The second was so much worse! and im scared of having another attack since I think im gonna wait till after prom (May 30th) to have it removed. It may sound like a bad idea but Im gonna have to stick it out. Also, when you had the gallstones did you find that consuming alcohol affected it or triggered any attack either minor or large? Glad to hear youre doing better!
My attacks were far apart. I'm guessing a few months at least but I did purposely avoid the food that triggered the first attack. It sucked too because I love these hot pepper cheese balls that a local bar has on their menu. They are basically a hot pepper cheese deep fried in little balls. Greasy and fatty so that doesn't play well with gallstones. Alcohol didn't bother me and neither did wings. At first pizza didn't bother me other than heartburn, but gradually affected me more to the point it caused my second attack.

Depending on how quick your Dr. can get you in, you'll have plenty of time to recover and be back to normal before the 30th. It would suck to have an attack around the time of your prom, or worse yet, at it. On the other hand, if you can avoid things that triggered an attack just do it afterwards. You will have the time then to figure out what you can and cannot eat and how it affects you. The prom is definitely not where you would want to find out that you can't eat something.

Good luck and I hope you don't have any more attacks until you get it removed!
kawiX522
5/7/2018 5:03pm
kawiX522 wrote:
thats crazy! How far apart were ur attacks? My first one was about a week and a half before this one. I was in school when...
ruskymx wrote:
My attacks were far apart. I'm guessing a few months at least but I did purposely avoid the food that triggered the first attack. It sucked...
My attacks were far apart. I'm guessing a few months at least but I did purposely avoid the food that triggered the first attack. It sucked too because I love these hot pepper cheese balls that a local bar has on their menu. They are basically a hot pepper cheese deep fried in little balls. Greasy and fatty so that doesn't play well with gallstones. Alcohol didn't bother me and neither did wings. At first pizza didn't bother me other than heartburn, but gradually affected me more to the point it caused my second attack.

Depending on how quick your Dr. can get you in, you'll have plenty of time to recover and be back to normal before the 30th. It would suck to have an attack around the time of your prom, or worse yet, at it. On the other hand, if you can avoid things that triggered an attack just do it afterwards. You will have the time then to figure out what you can and cannot eat and how it affects you. The prom is definitely not where you would want to find out that you can't eat something.

Good luck and I hope you don't have any more attacks until you get it removed!
That sucks bud holy shit! , can you eat the hot peper cheeseballs now ? Or still avoiding them? And agreed if I felt an an attack coming at prom Id leave immediately! F that! Glad to hear youre doing much better now
ruskymx
5/7/2018 5:24pm
kawiX522 wrote:
That sucks bud holy shit! , can you eat the hot peper cheeseballs now ? Or still avoiding them? And agreed if I felt an an...
That sucks bud holy shit! , can you eat the hot peper cheeseballs now ? Or still avoiding them? And agreed if I felt an an attack coming at prom Id leave immediately! F that! Glad to hear youre doing much better now
I can eat them now and at worst, I get a little heartburn. Still eat pizza too, but try to be careful with the timing just in case lol
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
5/7/2018 7:52pm
What's your opinion on riding with hemorrhoids?
APLMAN99
5/7/2018 8:03pm
I've been through it three times, twice they recurred after having my gall bladder removed. On one occasion it took a week, two trips to the...
I've been through it three times, twice they recurred after having my gall bladder removed. On one occasion it took a week, two trips to the ER and several round of ultrasound, MRI and CT to locate the stone. We're not talking big particles here.

A nurse I spoke with had had them, too, and she said the pain was worse than childbirth.

There is logic to avoiding a lot of jarring if you still have your gall bladder.

Generally what will provoke a stone attack it is fatty foods; the bile is what helps you digest that, reserved in the gallbladder after production in the liver. Stones often form in that reservoir. You'll have less tolerance for some fatty foods after removing the gallbladder, but won't be pushing a stone out to the bile duct when you gallbladder tries to release bile.

One of the OR nurses was telling me that most of the women who had gallstones said that it was comparable to childbirth. She also said that those who didn't think it was comparable hadn't ever given birth.......!

APLMAN99
5/7/2018 8:04pm
disbanded wrote:
What's your opinion on riding with hemorrhoids?
It's a big pain in the ass......

Post a reply to: Riding with gallstones?

The Latest