Riding with an unstable shoulder

Shoulder has come out 3 times. Not from crashing but from hard hits / G outs, doctor recommends surgery.
Has anyone had success riding with a brace or taping?
|
9/11/2018 6:10pm
Bummer dude, if a G out is popping your shoulder out then it's probably time to take care of it. I've heard that surgery recovery time is usually pretty lengthy. It's a complicated joint.
cjmx
Fantasy
1187th
9/11/2018 6:16pm
try rocktape, google how to tape it or find a physical therapist to show you how. Rocktape works the best, if not use KT tape. Hope it helps.
9/11/2018 6:17pm Edited Date/Time 9/11/2018 6:41pm
It’s tough man, I suffered an ac separation in my shoulder. It never fully dislocated but subluxed which means partial dislocation. That was a few years ago and it’s not 100% to this day. I’m still unstable on certain situations whilst riding but putting more emphasis on core balance can help.

I would recommend strengthening your rear delt muscles. Here are a few videos I’ve found useful that may help you as well.

https://youtu.be/ORB99pa6u3k
JB500
9/11/2018 6:31pm
^ strengthen as above. My chiro resets mine every 2 weeks. My issue is the humorous coming out and damaged rotator. Strengthening and using it smarter have kept me out of surgery so far and I ride every week. Good luck with yours, and at the least get several opinions. Some doctors just can’t wait to start slicing and dicing.

The Shop

Nicknku
9/11/2018 6:48pm
Labrum repair is a piece of cake, ac reconstruction is painful but recovery time isn’t bad, and rotator cuff repair is awful.
magoo1982
9/11/2018 8:19pm
if u have nt already, check out a book called 7 min rotator cuff solution . have known several people with screwed up shoulders that have used the exercises in it to rehab their shoulder and prevent surgery ..check it out may help its by Horrigan & robinson DC
kkawboy14
9/11/2018 8:26pm
Doctor told me I needed surgery on both shoulders but told me if I could go 3 years without popping them out they would be fine......he was right! I’ve made it 15 years now with no surgery
Joko
Fantasy
233rd
9/11/2018 9:53pm Edited Date/Time 9/11/2018 9:54pm
I’d advise getting an MRI to find out what’s up. If your rotator cuff is torn, or ripped off completely you need to get it fixed ASAP. Mine was ripped of the bone and had to be reattached. If I had waited, the rotator cuff tissue would shrink and have to be stretched to reattach, which would be very difficult to rehab. Find a good shoulder orthopedic dr and get it evaluated. If it dislocates when riding, you’ll crash and cause more damage. Every time it dislocates it causes more damage to the labrum, cuff and other tendons. You don’t want to go there!!
wreckers
9/11/2018 10:14pm Edited Date/Time 9/11/2018 10:15pm
The problem is weak muscles. My doc said I could choose surgery or attempt to strengthen and since I put on 10-15 pounds it has not happened again I shit you not.. Gym time...
9/11/2018 10:20pm
Stevemoto1 wrote:
Shoulder has come out 3 times. Not from crashing but from hard hits / G outs, doctor recommends surgery. Has anyone had success riding with a...
Shoulder has come out 3 times. Not from crashing but from hard hits / G outs, doctor recommends surgery.
Has anyone had success riding with a brace or taping?
Mine also popped when I was riding, painful as hell, finally had to get surgery, 6 days out and counting. I got February 15 down for riding again Sideways
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
9/11/2018 10:26pm
Man, I was in your situation. I tried PT, taping the shoulder, braces, workouts. Nothing worked. 8 dislocations and 3 years later I got it fixed. 4 months off the bike and I wish I did it sooner after it came out the first time. Each dislocation made more things tear and the surgery needed more.

I’m happy I did it and if you need it, I’m all in on getting it done. But everyone is different. Depending on what is torn, some things don’t hear on there own like labrum or torn ligaments off bones. Maybe get an MRI if you haven’t and find out what needs repair exactly?
Evoracer
9/12/2018 9:04am
Get it fixed. It will never be 100% as it is.

After a few hundred shoulder dislocations in my youth (I still played hard lol), I finally got mine repaired in 1992. Not one problem since.
aroark247
9/12/2018 9:29am
I'd suggest getting it fixed. It's a lengthy recover 4-6 months for me. After my initial tear i kept riding and popping it in and out and it went from just a labrum to a labrum and rotator cuff. One of the last times it came out before surgery it cracked the head of my humerus.
dmm698
9/12/2018 10:13am Edited Date/Time 9/12/2018 10:14am
Just went through a bad AC separation, they couldnt decide between grade 3/5 (PT/Surgery). Went the PT route. Have full motion back, but a very clear and pronounced lump as the collar bone did not come all the way back down into place. I started riding again at 8 weeks, after 2-3 weeks of riding it feels pretty normal. Every once and a while my laptop bag or a back pack rubs the "nub" if you will , which will irritate it but otherwise its fine. I couldnt move my arm for a solid 2-3 weeks after it first happened. Unless your making a living off of riding, take the doctors advice and fix it properly. If they had told me surgery was my best option, I would of done it in a heart beat. You have your whole life to ride, and you also have your whole life to live in suffering with a crap shoulder over some poor choices. Just my 0.02.
Tracktor
9/12/2018 2:16pm
I'm curious as I know I couldn't but - I was told by a rider awhile back that he rode his whole moto (aggressively mind you) with his shoulder popped out. He had friends pop it back in when he came back off track. I called BS but curious what others thought?...............
dimetime
9/12/2018 2:42pm
Nicknku wrote:
Labrum repair is a piece of cake, ac reconstruction is painful but recovery time isn’t bad, and rotator cuff repair is awful.
Can attest to this. Tore my rotator in late Jan and during the surgery he repaired an older tear that had receded and good god was that surgery recovery a MFer. Worst l've ever had to endure. Been just passed six months and it's still a bit sore and weaker than l'd like.

I've had total ACL replacement w/hamstring graft, too many arthroscopies to list, two total knee replacements and a complete tricep tear repaired and the rotator was by far the worst recovery.

By far! Good luck.
9/12/2018 2:57pm
Tracktor wrote:
I'm curious as I know I couldn't but - I was told by a rider awhile back that he rode his whole moto (aggressively mind you)...
I'm curious as I know I couldn't but - I was told by a rider awhile back that he rode his whole moto (aggressively mind you) with his shoulder popped out. He had friends pop it back in when he came back off track. I called BS but curious what others thought?...............
Yeah - not so sure about that, when mine has come out, it’s like the arm gets locked at an odd angle. And it kinda hurts. I could maybe ride back to the pits!
9/12/2018 5:09pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Doctor told me I needed surgery on both shoulders but told me if I could go 3 years without popping them out they would be fine......he...
Doctor told me I needed surgery on both shoulders but told me if I could go 3 years without popping them out they would be fine......he was right! I’ve made it 15 years now with no surgery
I had 1 reconstruction and let the other 1 go after 100 plus dislocations on both shoulders. Now after 5 years of looking after both shoulders (being careful) with no dislocations they both feel fine, there is still a little bit of caution, I try to avoid overstretching the joints.

However I regret having the reconstruction, reconstructions restrict movement in the joint, I cant externally rotate more than 90 degrees in the recon shoulder and it is frustrating. If I could go back in time I would never have had the reconstruction and would have had a couple of years of not playing so hard. It would have been difficult to tell that to a 20yo me though.
magoo1982
9/12/2018 6:03pm Edited Date/Time 9/12/2018 6:51pm
Nicknku wrote:
dimetime wrote:
Can attest to this. Tore my rotator in late Jan and during the surgery he repaired an older tear that had receded and good god was...
Can attest to this. Tore my rotator in late Jan and during the surgery he repaired an older tear that had receded and good god was that surgery recovery a MFer. Worst l've ever had to endure. Been just passed six months and it's still a bit sore and weaker than l'd like.

I've had total ACL replacement w/hamstring graft, too many arthroscopies to list, two total knee replacements and a complete tricep tear repaired and the rotator was by far the worst recovery.

By far! Good luck.
Totally Agree , have had 2 knee surgeries , cancer surgery, several organs and left nut removed .kidney stones removed. open heart surgery and shoulder surgery . The shoulder hurt 2-3 yrs was weak and took long time to get strong again .always felt like going to dislocate if was in certain positions , when sleeping if was on side that wasn't operated on ,had to take good arm and support bad side or it would be sore that couldn't sleep when first started rehab used to feel like something was ripping apart inside, dr would say that's just scar tissue tearing , took several months for that to stop when exercising ...
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
9/12/2018 9:48pm
Tracktor wrote:
I'm curious as I know I couldn't but - I was told by a rider awhile back that he rode his whole moto (aggressively mind you)...
No way, maybe it was slightly shifted or something but not possible with a true dislocation. I could hardly make a fist because ligaments get pinched. Not humanly possible to ride with it hanging out of the joint.
moto#52
9/12/2018 10:47pm
My advice would be to get it fixed, I’ve had both my shoulders done (not at the same time) as they got so bad they would pop out just putting a tshirt on or something, 3 months off the bike each time and they’ve both been fine ever since

Post a reply to: Riding with an unstable shoulder

The Latest