Riding with Intraocular lens

dwight955
Hello. Because I have developed cataracts, I will need lens replacement in both eyes.
My concern is whether I should get the single focus lens for distance or the multi focal lens.
My Doctor knows his stuff, but knows nothing about riding at all. I want to be able to see a rock,
rut, or tree root in time to react.
He thinks the multi focal lens will work, but I want to be sure once these lens are in they are in for the
rest of my life. Anyone here have any experience with this? Or advice?
Thank you.

|
HazemG
2/12/2021 8:02pm Edited Date/Time 2/12/2021 8:03pm
Can't help myself but hoping someone can
zehn
2/12/2021 8:18pm
Without knowing anything about the subject, I would ask his suggestion or do your research about which option is recommended for sports in general, particularly sports like tennis, hockey, basketball, etc. that require lots of quick movement of the eyes and body
garagedog
Fantasy
687th
2/12/2021 8:27pm Edited Date/Time 2/15/2021 7:55am
Well, I tried the contacts with 1 for close and 1 for distance. That did not work at all for riding. Once I switch to distance only contacts, then riding and MTB was great!

2/12/2021 8:30pm
I worked in ophthalmology surgery for five years as an RN. I'd highly recommend the multifocal lens. It's a great lens. Won't get dislodged in case of a crash. Also, like you said, the monofocal IOL is kinda lame cuz they give you one eye for reading and one for distance. Bye bye depth perception. The multifocal lens is a little pricey, but I'm sure you have bikes more expensive than that.

The Shop

Bogger
2/12/2021 9:58pm
I have the multifocal lens implants. My range of vision is good. I can see very well at anything more than about 2 feet. Closer than that (computer) I use readers. Riding is good, I don't have the distortion in vision caused by my glasses bouncing jiggling up and down inside the helmet when hitting bumps, etc.

My biggest gripe (and it is a big one) is that the multifocal lens causes terrible halos around lights at night, a blurry mess around the edges of the bright colors on the computer screen and television. REALLY irritating. I would not go with these if I had the chance to do it all over again. I was warned of some of this effect by the doc but he said it usually goes away after six months to a year. Nope. It has not. If you don't drive at night much or get on the computer often, then the multifocals might work out fine. And for some people the halo effect apparently does go away. I would recommend the monovision lenses for riding and use reading glasses close up instead of one eye for reading and one eye for distance. Anyway, good luck on your decision.
cwel11
2/13/2021 3:50am
I got multifocal lens implants a little over a year ago. I had just turned 40 and after 30 years of glasses and contacts I wanted a change. My contacts were a -9.5 so basically I was more or less blind without them. I’m mostly happy with the multifocals as I have 20/20 and hopefully will not have to do much with my eyes for a long time. One of my main concerns was riding. My contacts would give me problems while on track from time to time and that’s never ideal from a safety standpoint. I don’t have any of those problems anymore. So from a riding standpoint and during most of the day working construction I am super happy. My negative is definitely light sensitivity and computer screens. Overall I’d probably do it all over again. The pros for me outweigh the cons. Good luck
gambler8
2/13/2021 6:32am
I had cataract surgery in November and went with mono vision lens. I’ve yet to ride but am happy overall with my choice. I use reading glasses for close up stuff (150). Good luck 👍
plowboy
2/13/2021 8:41am
I appreciate this topic being brought up. I was diagnosed with cataracts 2 years ago. Not yet bad enough for the insurance to pay for the surgery but my doc says not to be in a big hurry. She says there are some new multifocal lenses being developed/tested in Europe that "promise" to be much better than what's available currently stateside. In the meantime, I just keep buying brighter flashlights and installing bigger bulbs around the house. If you can't see it...it ain't there, right?
RDnutz
2/13/2021 10:28am Edited Date/Time 2/15/2021 7:14am
had both eyes done last year. I'm 62 and had LASIK in 2013. Vision started getting a little fuzzy several years ago and everything was starting to look gray with no detail/definition especially in bright light. Super bad light sensitivity and reflections during day. Had Dr exams, etc. but cutting to the chase- I was almost blind in Left eye around 12 months ago. Luckily wife had found good surgeon to do cataract removal and lens replacement so I went to see him.

Super sharp younger guy trained in most advanced tech and methods. I'm a retired engineer and did a bunch of research to go with wife's experience. I went in with printed list of question for every scenario I could imagine LOL. My goal was to get back as close as possible to full vision I had after LASIK. Dr. answered every question and was honest about pros and cons of each type of lens, etc. After research I thought I wanted multi-focal (Toric) lens because it was recommended for people who had LASIK and Astigmatism remaining like me. He talked me out of the multi focal into standard lens because of negative side effects like the night time halos and said he could correct astigmatism with a couple little incisions called IRL.(google it for more info). You'll need readers for computer either way...

Important part here... normally all the incisions are done manually to open slits for removing old lens, performing IRLs and more. Outcomes can be hit or miss depending on Dr. skills. My Dr. offered Laser surgery for this (called Femtosecond laser) and also computerized eyeball mapping to make sure they get the lens placed exactly right for your particular eyeball shape and what they call the "capsule" where they set the new lens. Basically a little crater they set it in. They take a bunch of measurements before you ever agree to the surgery and using the mapping SW (called ORA) they can choose exactly the right power of lens based on matching your eye map to the earlier measurements. This is all done after the old lens is removed during surgery. Sounds complicated, but really isn't if you research it. Whole thing takes less than 2 hours.

Results? I chose to have only my worst eye done 1st, and opted for the ORA mapping and laser with a standard Fixed for DISTANCE IOL matched for my specific eye requirements. 6 Hours after surgery my vision was super clear and I had 20/15 vision! I was cleared for normal activity after 1 month, but it can take up to 3 months for full healing in some cases. As far as cost of Laser + ORA vs. manual method it was ~$1,000 more. BUT- using the standard IOL vs. Toric saved me $1000.00 so it was a wash :^) Also, I have really shitty Anthem insurance through Obamacare that paid for almost nothing according to their literature w/ no co-pays, no co-insurance, no pharmacy, etc. until I hit deductible. Reality was they still gave "member discounts" on everything for like 20% off.

As luck would have it, my Right eye suddenly got worse by 3rd month after the Left eye surgery and I was REALLY happy with the Left eye so scheduled Right eye surgery too. Went through the whole process with measurements and discussions of mono focal vs multi focal and Laser, ORA etc. Chose Fixed for DISTANCE IOL + Laser + ORA again to match Left eye. Also Anthem told Dr office I was almost to deductible and out of pocket for the year so 2nd eye was almost free. The Right eye surgery experience was a little different than the Left. Something to do with debris from stubborn natural lens being removed. My 6 hours after appointment had me at 20/60 in that eye but was told it would improve over time. By 6 weeks I was fully healed and vision actually did improve to 20/20. There's still a slight lingering after effect but is barely noticeable and does not affect my overall new vision at. all. And yeah, Insurance paid 100% after I hit deductible. Total cost was about $8300.00 for both eyes but 100% is deductible on taxes by itemizing medical expenses.

I haven't raced or rode much since the surgeries (August and November) except for buzzing around my home practice track, fire roads and some mountain biking but Dr said I was good to go for anything I did before surgery and I believe it. He said riding/racing or MTB should not have any effect at all.

Moral of the story: research it a bunch so you understand and confident about the procedure, find a good Dr you trust and follow their after care instructions to the letter. Use ALL the eyedrops as recommended and don't cut any corners on their instructions and follow ups and you should be fine. Good Luck!

sorry for the long read...
2/14/2021 3:53pm Edited Date/Time 2/14/2021 3:55pm
62 y,o. vet racer here, I had cataract surgery in both eyes 10 years ago. It took two years to get the diagnosis because they kept telling me I was "too young". Best move ever after being badly nearsighted my whole life.

I opted for fixed focal "distance" vision and it's great to be able to wear regular goggles without dealing with glasses. I use multifocal readers for close work or computer time.

Before surgery I couldn't golf without someone along to help track the golf ball. It's magic surgery, you will be amazed at how much your vision had deteriorated with time.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
2/15/2021 7:09am
I have had floaters for decades and recently lost quite a bit of clarity due to age mostly but I get flashed by the sun sometimes now the last year and go almost blind, like someone poured milk in my eyes especially when in the water at the beach and had no idea which way the shore was and had to be helped in. It's pretty scarry especially in big surf but only happened 3 times but never had anything like it happen before. I kind of thought it was a crazy covid symptom or something because it's only happened since I was very sick last year. The first 2 times was a few weeks after I recovered. I was the sickest I had ever been for a month solid with that virus and it screwed a few things up that still have not recovered so I thought it may be related. It's claustrophobic feeling when losing your sight.
RDnutz
2/15/2021 7:24am
I worked in ophthalmology surgery for five years as an RN. I'd highly recommend the multifocal lens. It's a great lens. Won't get dislodged in case...
I worked in ophthalmology surgery for five years as an RN. I'd highly recommend the multifocal lens. It's a great lens. Won't get dislodged in case of a crash. Also, like you said, the monofocal IOL is kinda lame cuz they give you one eye for reading and one for distance. Bye bye depth perception. The multifocal lens is a little pricey, but I'm sure you have bikes more expensive than that.
>>Also, like you said, the monofocal IOL is kinda lame cuz they give you one eye for reading and one for distance. Bye bye depth perception.<<

My Dr called that Mono VISION when they set 1 eye for distance and 1 for up close? They said Mono FOCAL just meant fixed for a single focus (far or close) instead of multi-focal that covers more range near>>far? You're right mono vision is lame. I tried the mono vision contacts and no depth perception, headaches, etc.
neverwas
Fantasy
784th
2/15/2021 7:33am
RDnutz wrote:
had both eyes done last year. I'm 62 and had LASIK in 2013. Vision started getting a little fuzzy several years ago and everything was starting...
had both eyes done last year. I'm 62 and had LASIK in 2013. Vision started getting a little fuzzy several years ago and everything was starting to look gray with no detail/definition especially in bright light. Super bad light sensitivity and reflections during day. Had Dr exams, etc. but cutting to the chase- I was almost blind in Left eye around 12 months ago. Luckily wife had found good surgeon to do cataract removal and lens replacement so I went to see him.

Super sharp younger guy trained in most advanced tech and methods. I'm a retired engineer and did a bunch of research to go with wife's experience. I went in with printed list of question for every scenario I could imagine LOL. My goal was to get back as close as possible to full vision I had after LASIK. Dr. answered every question and was honest about pros and cons of each type of lens, etc. After research I thought I wanted multi-focal (Toric) lens because it was recommended for people who had LASIK and Astigmatism remaining like me. He talked me out of the multi focal into standard lens because of negative side effects like the night time halos and said he could correct astigmatism with a couple little incisions called IRL.(google it for more info). You'll need readers for computer either way...

Important part here... normally all the incisions are done manually to open slits for removing old lens, performing IRLs and more. Outcomes can be hit or miss depending on Dr. skills. My Dr. offered Laser surgery for this (called Femtosecond laser) and also computerized eyeball mapping to make sure they get the lens placed exactly right for your particular eyeball shape and what they call the "capsule" where they set the new lens. Basically a little crater they set it in. They take a bunch of measurements before you ever agree to the surgery and using the mapping SW (called ORA) they can choose exactly the right power of lens based on matching your eye map to the earlier measurements. This is all done after the old lens is removed during surgery. Sounds complicated, but really isn't if you research it. Whole thing takes less than 2 hours.

Results? I chose to have only my worst eye done 1st, and opted for the ORA mapping and laser with a standard Fixed for DISTANCE IOL matched for my specific eye requirements. 6 Hours after surgery my vision was super clear and I had 20/15 vision! I was cleared for normal activity after 1 month, but it can take up to 3 months for full healing in some cases. As far as cost of Laser + ORA vs. manual method it was ~$1,000 more. BUT- using the standard IOL vs. Toric saved me $1000.00 so it was a wash :^) Also, I have really shitty Anthem insurance through Obamacare that paid for almost nothing according to their literature w/ no co-pays, no co-insurance, no pharmacy, etc. until I hit deductible. Reality was they still gave "member discounts" on everything for like 20% off.

As luck would have it, my Right eye suddenly got worse by 3rd month after the Left eye surgery and I was REALLY happy with the Left eye so scheduled Right eye surgery too. Went through the whole process with measurements and discussions of mono focal vs multi focal and Laser, ORA etc. Chose Fixed for DISTANCE IOL + Laser + ORA again to match Left eye. Also Anthem told Dr office I was almost to deductible and out of pocket for the year so 2nd eye was almost free. The Right eye surgery experience was a little different than the Left. Something to do with debris from stubborn natural lens being removed. My 6 hours after appointment had me at 20/60 in that eye but was told it would improve over time. By 6 weeks I was fully healed and vision actually did improve to 20/20. There's still a slight lingering after effect but is barely noticeable and does not affect my overall new vision at. all. And yeah, Insurance paid 100% after I hit deductible. Total cost was about $8300.00 for both eyes but 100% is deductible on taxes by itemizing medical expenses.

I haven't raced or rode much since the surgeries (August and November) except for buzzing around my home practice track, fire roads and some mountain biking but Dr said I was good to go for anything I did before surgery and I believe it. He said riding/racing or MTB should not have any effect at all.

Moral of the story: research it a bunch so you understand and confident about the procedure, find a good Dr you trust and follow their after care instructions to the letter. Use ALL the eyedrops as recommended and don't cut any corners on their instructions and follow ups and you should be fine. Good Luck!

sorry for the long read...
No need to apologize, very informative and appreciated.
dwight955
2/17/2021 7:00pm
Thank you for the replies everyone. For what it's worth I think I'm going with the
"distance vision" lens.
RDnutz
2/18/2021 6:28am
dwight955 wrote:
Thank you for the replies everyone. For what it's worth I think I'm going with the
"distance vision" lens.
Good for you! You'll be amazed how clear and colorful everything is afterwards Cool

I remembered another little nugget Dr told me that wasn't in my novel length post lol: when he kept referring to "distance" and up close focal points, I finally asked him what that would mean in measured numbers. He said Distance = beyond 20' & Close = within arm's reach (~3'). So your reading glasses already covers the up close vision and the new IOL picks up at ~ 20' leaving a small area of 3-20' that's not really improved unless you get prescription glasses.

Best of Luck to you Smile

Post a reply to: Riding with Intraocular lens

The Latest