Riding/racing MX and the risks...

Talisker
1/26/2019 12:28am Edited Date/Time 1/26/2019 5:42am
We are all one nano second and one bad decision away from being in a mental istitution or standing in line for free soup. Everything has risk in life. The riskiest thing i did this morning was wake up. I've made my decision up when i was three years old that this is my love and passion. You can never explain riding to others who don't. I have tried in the past to find something to replace MX, but noting comes close.
4csHATER
1/26/2019 5:09am
my response is to the OP, if your questioning it already, dont do it, for some its a path, for others its a light at the end of the tunnel to look forward to, were all gonna die, death is scary but the fear of god is even more scary, if the lord has blessed you with oppurtunity and talent but you choose to not use both over your fear of death, then you have alreay been beaten by fear, good luck fellas. Nothings safe not even life itself, but in order to beat fear you have to trust that the lord is with you at all times.
Trav138
1/26/2019 8:02am
Trav138 wrote:
I would like to hear the opinions of guys who have life changing injuries from mx, and how they feel. I lost my lower right leg...
I would like to hear the opinions of guys who have life changing injuries from mx, and how they feel.
I lost my lower right leg due to a mx crash. i have asked myself that question a lot over the years, or i get asked that quetion when im struggling with certain things.
I have no regrets, it was worth it to me. Riding has been such a positive influence in my life, and i have valuable experiences from it. I take some solace that i got hurt doing what i loved, and it was my choice and what i wanted to do.

Edit*'i dont have kids and i think that family and income really influence people's decisions!
nytsmaC wrote:
To me, the risk was worth it until I had the big one. I have zero regrets, but I also got lucky and recovered better/faster than...
To me, the risk was worth it until I had the big one. I have zero regrets, but I also got lucky and recovered better/faster than expected. I’m able to lead a normal life and was able to resume work before I lost everything.. But I’m not willing to put myself or my family through it again.
Right on man, a big get off will definetely get you into a different frame of mind. Thats when everyone's situation is different. Families, income dependence, and where you are in life in general. Happens to us all, glad to hear you recovered so well. do you still have the TM's ?
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
1/26/2019 8:13am
I stopped riding MX at 52. A solid 40 years of racing. I quit out of the blue after my mind was constantly worried about crashing while I was on the track. Figured that was not a healthy place to be. I must say it’s the jumps that did me in. Not a lot of fun rolling around a MX track and yet it became too dangerous for me to hit the jumps like they were meant to be. I’ve also seen and known of way to many deaths on the track in the last decade or two.

This probably sounds very stupid but I feel much safer when I’m on my Harley and Triumph. My MX skills have made me a very good street rider and I’m confident I’ll be riding down the coast into my 80’s, even though the odds are much higher of biting the big one on a street bike.

The Shop

Indy mxer
1/26/2019 8:41am
Flip109 wrote:
Touchy subject for sure. I have always struggled with this question when seeing other riders paralyzed. As that is my worst fear. I’d take death over...
Touchy subject for sure. I have always struggled with this question when seeing other riders paralyzed. As that is my worst fear. I’d take death over that pretty much. When something like that does happen I like to figure out what kind of track they were on, how they were riding etc., try and learn from others mistakes if I can. Riding over my head has gotten me hurt more often than not. Arms pumped going for the glory so to speak. I try and stay as far away from that now as possible. It’s hard tho sometimes as I’m a very competitive person so you can really lose yourself out there racing with someone.

One thing is you can and will get hurt at some point. By being in really good shape and riding within your limits you can really limit a lot of the bigger get offs. There is always equipment malfunction or some idiot landing on your etc. but those are few and
far between if you don’t race much and keep on top of your maint.

One day we will all be laying on our deathbed. Most of us will have time to look back and reflect upon our lives. If we spent most of it in a wheel chair from a riding accident we may regret the hell out of that decision. On the other hand those that gave it up early out of fear of being injured badly may regret that decision also not having done something they truly loved. Guess the real question is do you really love it?? If so be smart about it and as safe as possible and enjoy it. There are plenty of dudes that have posted that are permanently injured that wouldn’t change anything. That should be a good enough answer for a lot of us.

How’d that quote go from Shawshank redemption “get busy living, or get busy dying”
Very well said.
I used to ride over my head when I was younger. I've had a few injuries but nothing major, a torn rotator cuff being the worst one.
I'm 61 now, and as I've gotten older I try to minimize risk as much as I can. I don't do big jumps and try to ride smart. I've been fit for 30 plus years and try to stay that way. When in doubt. I let off.

It's still a risky sport for sure. But you can mange the risk if you use your head (no pun intended).
nytsmaC
1/26/2019 9:42am Edited Date/Time 1/26/2019 9:52am
Trav138 wrote:
Right on man, a big get off will definetely get you into a different frame of mind. Thats when everyone's situation is different. Families, income dependence...
Right on man, a big get off will definetely get you into a different frame of mind. Thats when everyone's situation is different. Families, income dependence, and where you are in life in general. Happens to us all, glad to hear you recovered so well. do you still have the TM's ?
Thanks Trav. Being self employed and the financial repercussions definitely played a big roll in making a bad situation worse for me. That was part of the reason I wanted to try a different career path, with less financial risk.

I sold my 144 and 250, held onto the 300 thinking I’d want to ride again this year but I’m still not fully healed and my head’s not in it. Going to sell the 300 too. I’m pretty sure I’ll come around and want to get another one but I don’t think it will be any time soon. If it doesn’t sell maybe I’ll try some woods riding but it’s just never really done it for me in the past.

I started mountain biking last summer to get off the couch and it’s actually been satisfying my riding cravings. I’m a complete noob at it so I don’t feel any pressure to try ride at any certain level or huck big jumps. I’m lucky to live in one of the best places in the world for mountain biking so I’m taking full advantage of that. Trails everywhere in and out of the city, huge variety of terrain, have our own ski hill that runs as a bike park in the summer less than an hour’s drive, and Whistler isn’t much farther of a drive than what I’m used to from going to my favorite MX track every weekend. DH mountain biking feels a lot like moto, even uses the same leg muscles.

I didn’t realize you’d lost your leg, do you have a mechanical prosthetic like Ridge? how long ago did that happen?
DC98
1/26/2019 10:22am
My son and I rode and raced moto and desert for 18 yrs. One day at the track my son crashed and severed his spine, no feeling or movement from his nipples down. I layed down beside him at the track and talked to him until EMS and the helicopter flew him to the hospital. That was the longest 45 mins of my life.
We were lucky enough to get him into Craig hospital in Denver 5 days after the accident so that he could learn how to take care of himself.We were there for three months, he was 24 when it happened 3yrs later I ask myself that question ( was it worth it ) at least 3-4 times a day. On days when I see him struggling just to go to the bathroom or get into his truck to go to work it was not worth it for me. Then on the his good days it was worth it for for all of us.He is in pain all the time but very rarely says anything about it.

He has never regretted riding because as a family we all had a really good time and met some of the best people at the tracks. He is my hero, he said Dad I can almost do what I did before I just need to find a different way to do it and it will take longer.

Rdracer598
1/26/2019 10:58am Edited Date/Time 1/26/2019 11:03am
Trav138 wrote:
I would like to hear the opinions of guys who have life changing injuries from mx, and how they feel. I lost my lower right leg...
I would like to hear the opinions of guys who have life changing injuries from mx, and how they feel.
I lost my lower right leg due to a mx crash. i have asked myself that question a lot over the years, or i get asked that quetion when im struggling with certain things.
I have no regrets, it was worth it to me. Riding has been such a positive influence in my life, and i have valuable experiences from it. I take some solace that i got hurt doing what i loved, and it was my choice and what i wanted to do.

Edit*'i dont have kids and i think that family and income really influence people's decisions!
I grew up racing MX until I was 20 and changed to road racing. I became a C 5/6 incomplete Quad because of a crash on the track back in 2005. I would go right back to racing if I could, I knew the risk of both sports and had friends killed or paralyzed riding. I actually took a job working with our local club racing org just so I could stay involved.

I have the same thoughts on riding as you. I loved every minute of it and the friends and memories I made traveling around the country racing are some of the best.

My injury made me a better person and I have done some awesome things and been many places thanks to being in a chair. I have had the opportunity to tryout for USA paralympic wheelchair rugby which wouldn't have been possible.

My advice to people is do whatever makes you happy!
drt410
1/26/2019 11:20am Edited Date/Time 1/26/2019 11:34am
I had a (VERY) near death experience when I was 17 and literally just healed up fixed my bike and kept riding like nothing ever happened. This continued for 12 years until something weird happened last year. After still being affected by my injuries every single day but never paying any mind to it beyond acknowledging “something had happened once” ... I thought about it.

It hit me like a ton of bricks and once I did it was over. I seriously stopped and considered how my body will never be the same and I have to live with injuries every second of my life, what if something else happens.. imagine living with something else too. It worked into my conscious and the fear I had never processed before of knowing I was going to die at that moment and then not dying, but being severely injured, I finally started to decompress.

I had lost the edge and for the first time ever I was second guessing myself and my riding and that will lead to unsafe situations. I never thought it would happen. After riding from 3-29 I sold my bikes. It was time. I had lost the edge and it was dangerous to ride while second guessing myself. Never thought the day would come and wouldnt trade anything and still love the sport Ive just moved on from riding myself to being a fan.
usafwx
1/26/2019 11:33am Edited Date/Time 1/26/2019 11:36am
I can resonate with these statements. When I first got into it I had no fear, I loved everything MX/I was addicted, would push myself when it came to new track/obstacles, got a few injuries, skill improved with confidence and then sold my bike when I moved to AZ for various reasons. I missed it every single day not having the bike for a year and a half, came back from my 2nd deployment and bought a bike. But ever since I got back on the bike the feeling isnt the same and can't pinpoint it, I lack the same confidence and mind block I had before. I'm constantly worried now about wadding myself up and just over injuries all together, enough that it really takes the joy out of it for me. That and the lack of riding friends/community in the area, just sort of wondering if I should move on. Last 6 months have definately been on the fence on whether the mental anxiety and missing that feeling/excitement I once had, if its still worth it.
mattmatt300
1/26/2019 11:34am
For me the answer is 100% no. It is not worth it to me. I still enjoy following the sport and watching the races but I’ll probably never own an MX bike again.
usafwx
1/26/2019 11:41am
For me the answer is 100% no. It is not worth it to me. I still enjoy following the sport and watching the races but I’ll...
For me the answer is 100% no. It is not worth it to me. I still enjoy following the sport and watching the races but I’ll probably never own an MX bike again.
If you don't mind sharing could you say why. Honestly didnt realize how many people here don't ride anymore or all the stories of life changing injuries. Thanks.
mattmatt300
1/26/2019 11:47am
usafwx wrote:
If you don't mind sharing could you say why. Honestly didnt realize how many people here don't ride anymore or all the stories of life changing...
If you don't mind sharing could you say why. Honestly didnt realize how many people here don't ride anymore or all the stories of life changing injuries. Thanks.
The risk just outweighs the reward for me. I have a wife, a 2 year old and a bun in the oven and the thought of taking their dad away because I liked riding around on dirt bikes is too much for me. What I do for a living is already dangerous enough and pretty much scares the shit out of me but at least that puts food on the table.
usafwx
1/26/2019 11:49am
The risk just outweighs the reward for me. I have a wife, a 2 year old and a bun in the oven and the thought of...
The risk just outweighs the reward for me. I have a wife, a 2 year old and a bun in the oven and the thought of taking their dad away because I liked riding around on dirt bikes is too much for me. What I do for a living is already dangerous enough and pretty much scares the shit out of me but at least that puts food on the table.
Thanks man. I can see that, being single its easier for me, but still the idea of possibly becoming paralyzed scares the shit out of me.
drt410
1/26/2019 12:28pm Edited Date/Time 1/26/2019 12:41pm
For me the answer is 100% no. It is not worth it to me. I still enjoy following the sport and watching the races but I’ll...
usafwx wrote:
If you don't mind sharing could you say why. Honestly didnt realize how many people here don't ride anymore or all the stories of life changing...
I was debating if it was too much to share but on top of almost being killed riding, around about 11 yrs old I witnessed a guy endo a quad, break his neck, and die right there on the ground in front of me and my dad, plus the other riders at the track. Its really graphic so no need to reallly get into it, but on top of my own pretty rough experiences I had I never stopped and reflected on that either.... just always kept moving forward.

After getting out of the millitary and having deployments etc... bottled up, I was having a tough time so after a year of working with a va therapist I really finally got to go over things I had just bottled up that were affecting my life that I thought werent because I just had moved right past them. I love motorcycle riding but unfortunately 2 horrible experiences Ive had in my life involved them. Still love the sport but Im just a fan these days.

Its weird but the way I had been keeping shit inside before made me demonstrate extreme risk taking, no emotion, no fear...etc which made me a muchhhh better rider. Once I finally learned self preservation the edge was gone n I had to hang it up. It made me ride slower to try to be safe but I hated that so Id ride on the edge again but it was scaring me so I just said F it... if I cant ride like a bat out of hell (on + off road) I have the memories, came out with my life. Sold the Ducati n Husky and Im perfectly fine being a die hard fan. The dudes who just woods ride n get a Harley I have a lot of respect for.. its just not me.
SCR
1/26/2019 12:45pm
This is a conversation that you need have with yourself before hand and be honest with yourself. If something does happen and you were not truly...
This is a conversation that you need have with yourself before hand and be honest with yourself. If something does happen and you were not truly ok with what might happen, you're much more likely to be miserable if it does. I think for the most part, making sure the nut attached to the throttle is properly torqued goes a long way for safety.
jeffro503 wrote:
This rings true on every word. I'd also like to say ( and this goes for all vet guys 30+ and on up ) get your...
This rings true on every word.

I'd also like to say ( and this goes for all vet guys 30+ and on up ) get your body in check before you even throw a leg over a bike. The older we get , the more important it becomes. Being some what healthy and fit before you ride not only helps your riding , but more importantly it helps protect you , when you hit the ground. Your body can handle the impacts a lot better , compared to just rolling off the couch. I swear by this rule more then anything else. And honestly.....it removes a lot of the " Risk " for us older guys.
Hitting the dirt in your 40s and 50s is a whole different game then it was in your 20s isn't it.
I'm 56 and have been 5'-10 / 160lbs since I was about 20. But if I hit the dirt now it feels Iike i weigh 260lbs and I swear all my internal organs have shifted to different locations of my body.
VetMX.com
1/26/2019 12:52pm
I find the risk is mostly other riders almost collecting me so I had my own track built. It is hard but safe and I use it to stay in shape mostly but I almost died there with no bike in site.

My last race in 2004 got me hit on the starting line and I finished the moto with a front flat and I still trophied. I realized the front was flat on the big uphill triple at Splendora. I often think what would have happened if the front tire would have come off the rim at that speed before take off.

I have a ZX10 that I enjoy doing track days on so I doubt I will ever quit, just not take so many chances. I used to be a real street squid doing 100 mph wheelies on the freeway but that was before cell phones and everyone looking down while driving. Now I ride 0 on the street because of this.

If I ride a track I ride safe tracks like Rio Bravo during the week when they are not packed. I have raced on and off since 1974 and knock on wood, only hurt once at Whitney pushing my crashed bike out of the ravine. A guy coming up the hill didn't see me and ran over my knee hyper extending it. It is still bigger than my other knee.

My near death experience happened on my MX track. Me and our big Boer Goat buck weighing in at about 300#s. I went in to help a downed kid goat and he attacked me and pinned me to the fence. His left horn pierced my right leg and the Doc says if it went in any deeper it would have ruptured my femoral and I would have bled out in minutes. Thankfully I had grabbed an ax handle before I entered the track and after beating on him until my arm was out of blood, I pried it between his horns and turned him on his side so I could work him w/ 2 hands on the handle. He came at me 2 more times, 1 I base ball batted the side of his head dropping him to 1 knee. I scrambled to get the gate open and he came at me again. This time I golf shotted his chin dropping him for long enough to get out of the pen.

Who knew you could die on a MX track w/no bike?
mx131
1/26/2019 1:41pm
Sitting here right now 2 weeks after being discharged from hospital. 5 broken ribs, collapsed lung, broken collar bone. A week after the initial carnage listed above my son found me passed out and unresponsive, he called 911 was taken to hospital had 2 liters of blood in my stomach from a lacerated spleen, that was not found during the ct scan with initial injury. Dr performed emergency surgery gutting me like a fish to remove blood and spleen. They said if my son had not found me and called an ambulance I would have died. Yet for me all I can think about is when I can go riding again. I have raced for 30 years and can’t imagine not riding. I crashed hitting a small 50 ft table top that I had jumped several hundred times just hit a little kicker wrong and went over the bars. I may change my mind once I try riding again but for now it is what’s keeping me sane! Just my opinion.
SCR
1/26/2019 2:28pm
VetMX.com wrote:
I find the risk is mostly other riders almost collecting me so I had my own track built. It is hard but safe and I use...
I find the risk is mostly other riders almost collecting me so I had my own track built. It is hard but safe and I use it to stay in shape mostly but I almost died there with no bike in site.

My last race in 2004 got me hit on the starting line and I finished the moto with a front flat and I still trophied. I realized the front was flat on the big uphill triple at Splendora. I often think what would have happened if the front tire would have come off the rim at that speed before take off.

I have a ZX10 that I enjoy doing track days on so I doubt I will ever quit, just not take so many chances. I used to be a real street squid doing 100 mph wheelies on the freeway but that was before cell phones and everyone looking down while driving. Now I ride 0 on the street because of this.

If I ride a track I ride safe tracks like Rio Bravo during the week when they are not packed. I have raced on and off since 1974 and knock on wood, only hurt once at Whitney pushing my crashed bike out of the ravine. A guy coming up the hill didn't see me and ran over my knee hyper extending it. It is still bigger than my other knee.

My near death experience happened on my MX track. Me and our big Boer Goat buck weighing in at about 300#s. I went in to help a downed kid goat and he attacked me and pinned me to the fence. His left horn pierced my right leg and the Doc says if it went in any deeper it would have ruptured my femoral and I would have bled out in minutes. Thankfully I had grabbed an ax handle before I entered the track and after beating on him until my arm was out of blood, I pried it between his horns and turned him on his side so I could work him w/ 2 hands on the handle. He came at me 2 more times, 1 I base ball batted the side of his head dropping him to 1 knee. I scrambled to get the gate open and he came at me again. This time I golf shotted his chin dropping him for long enough to get out of the pen.

Who knew you could die on a MX track w/no bike?
Who thumbs down a story like that.

That goat looks like a real prick. I wouldn't want to tangle with him.
usafwx
1/26/2019 4:21pm
mx131 wrote:
Sitting here right now 2 weeks after being discharged from hospital. 5 broken ribs, collapsed lung, broken collar bone. A week after the initial carnage listed...
Sitting here right now 2 weeks after being discharged from hospital. 5 broken ribs, collapsed lung, broken collar bone. A week after the initial carnage listed above my son found me passed out and unresponsive, he called 911 was taken to hospital had 2 liters of blood in my stomach from a lacerated spleen, that was not found during the ct scan with initial injury. Dr performed emergency surgery gutting me like a fish to remove blood and spleen. They said if my son had not found me and called an ambulance I would have died. Yet for me all I can think about is when I can go riding again. I have raced for 30 years and can’t imagine not riding. I crashed hitting a small 50 ft table top that I had jumped several hundred times just hit a little kicker wrong and went over the bars. I may change my mind once I try riding again but for now it is what’s keeping me sane! Just my opinion.
Felt the same way after my ICU visit (also spleen, kidneys and some ribs), everyone asked when I was quitting, I laughed and counted the days down till I could get back on the bike. This new feeling is just weird, maybe its age, maybe its taking a year off the bike, maybe its wanting to get finances in better shape at my age, who knows. Thanks for sharing and heal up soon!
usafwx
1/26/2019 4:26pm
drt410 wrote:
I was debating if it was too much to share but on top of almost being killed riding, around about 11 yrs old I witnessed a...
I was debating if it was too much to share but on top of almost being killed riding, around about 11 yrs old I witnessed a guy endo a quad, break his neck, and die right there on the ground in front of me and my dad, plus the other riders at the track. Its really graphic so no need to reallly get into it, but on top of my own pretty rough experiences I had I never stopped and reflected on that either.... just always kept moving forward.

After getting out of the millitary and having deployments etc... bottled up, I was having a tough time so after a year of working with a va therapist I really finally got to go over things I had just bottled up that were affecting my life that I thought werent because I just had moved right past them. I love motorcycle riding but unfortunately 2 horrible experiences Ive had in my life involved them. Still love the sport but Im just a fan these days.

Its weird but the way I had been keeping shit inside before made me demonstrate extreme risk taking, no emotion, no fear...etc which made me a muchhhh better rider. Once I finally learned self preservation the edge was gone n I had to hang it up. It made me ride slower to try to be safe but I hated that so Id ride on the edge again but it was scaring me so I just said F it... if I cant ride like a bat out of hell (on + off road) I have the memories, came out with my life. Sold the Ducati n Husky and Im perfectly fine being a die hard fan. The dudes who just woods ride n get a Harley I have a lot of respect for.. its just not me.
Thanks for sharing man.
Trav138
1/27/2019 1:54am Edited Date/Time 1/27/2019 2:00am
Trav138 wrote:
Right on man, a big get off will definetely get you into a different frame of mind. Thats when everyone's situation is different. Families, income dependence...
nytsmaC wrote:
Thanks Trav. Being self employed and the financial repercussions definitely played a big roll in making a bad situation worse for me. That was part of...
Thanks Trav. Being self employed and the financial repercussions definitely played a big roll in making a bad situation worse for me. That was part of the reason I wanted to try a different career path, with less financial risk.

I sold my 144 and 250, held onto the 300 thinking I’d want to ride again this year but I’m still not fully healed and my head’s not in it. Going to sell the 300 too. I’m pretty sure I’ll come around and want to get another one but I don’t think it will be any time soon. If it doesn’t sell maybe I’ll try some woods riding but it’s just never really done it for me in the past.

I started mountain biking last summer to get off the couch and it’s actually been satisfying my riding cravings. I’m a complete noob at it so I don’t feel any pressure to try ride at any certain level or huck big jumps. I’m lucky to live in one of the best places in the world for mountain biking so I’m taking full advantage of that. Trails everywhere in and out of the city, huge variety of terrain, have our own ski hill that runs as a bike park in the summer less than an hour’s drive, and Whistler isn’t much farther of a drive than what I’m used to from going to my favorite MX track every weekend. DH mountain biking feels a lot like moto, even uses the same leg muscles.

I didn’t realize you’d lost your leg, do you have a mechanical prosthetic like Ridge? how long ago did that happen?
Yes, below the knee.
Ridge was a big help to me when i was going through all that about 6-7 years ago.
I did a real number on both legs and feet in that crash. Actually a lot of moto people reached out, who went through similar injuries and results. Their truly is some good people around dirt bikes. That helped me out tremendously being able to talk and relate to people who had been through it. i lost the right and got my left foot fused,which turned out fairly well.
. I had probably 4-5 surgeries before it was just time to take it off, i truly am better off without it. The damage was done, it was time! Although I can function at a high level despite the injuries but it took time.

Awesome on the downhill biking, thats a natural transition from dirt bikes i would think. Loads of fun, and being able to get out in nature and get a workout in a place like you have sounds perfect for coming off a big crash. Sounds like one of the best ways to keep moving and what an option you have, that you can fill your riding fix right out your back door,in places like that.
Still, keep it safe out there, Happy for you to have recovered so well and, all the best moving forward in your endeavors
Travis
Trav138
1/27/2019 2:30am
Trav138 wrote:

Rdracer598 wrote:
I grew up racing MX until I was 20 and changed to road racing. I became a C 5/6 incomplete Quad because of a crash on...
I grew up racing MX until I was 20 and changed to road racing. I became a C 5/6 incomplete Quad because of a crash on the track back in 2005. I would go right back to racing if I could, I knew the risk of both sports and had friends killed or paralyzed riding. I actually took a job working with our local club racing org just so I could stay involved.

I have the same thoughts on riding as you. I loved every minute of it and the friends and memories I made traveling around the country racing are some of the best.

My injury made me a better person and I have done some awesome things and been many places thanks to being in a chair. I have had the opportunity to tryout for USA paralympic wheelchair rugby which wouldn't have been possible.

My advice to people is do whatever makes you happy!
Thats how i feel, thanks for the response, great attitude
i became a much better person as well, once i got everything sorted and i finally healed, it took a long time, but I realized and saw first hand how hard some peoples lives were and the difficulty they faced and lived with every day. A real eye opener for me when i needed it most, honestly, These people and these things i never thought much about, but My injuries put things in perspective for me and seeing how strong people were in far worse comditions than me, really inspired me..
My injuries have also led me to new places and opportunities and i am grateful for the experiences I've had
FIREfish148
1/27/2019 2:51am
These threads have been popping up since the motodrive days. Great question really. I would have to say absolutely yes it is wort it. i’m still alive though, so what do i know?
drt410
1/27/2019 3:44am Edited Date/Time 1/27/2019 3:49am
I guess Id amend my statement I “ride” still, not a whole lot, but fartin around in trails on other peoples bikes. To me thats regular shit but thinkin about it not many people do that so technically yes I still “ride”. I just gave up on throwing down heaters at the tracks, which to me is what I think of when saying I ride to someone. Ill hit an open practice at southwick about once a year and ride trails 3 times thats about the extent these days. All the sand pits got closed, that used to be my place of worship. Id take a good sandpit over a track every day. If they were open still where you dont pay and lay your own track and its not flat with 12 triples I bet I still would.

To the people who go out and ride trails all the time who used to race, did it become just as fun over time? Like is there an epiphany or something? I just couldnt get up to do that every week, but maybe if I was crazy fast in the woods like my dad I would... idk.

Post a reply to: Riding/racing MX and the risks...

The Latest