Riding/racing MX and the risks...

huck
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2019 3:49am
Is it worth the risks involved? We all know that crashing and breaking something during our riding career is a good chance....but is it worth death?? Should your family mourn you for the rest of their lives because you went to race some race?

And yes, I know we can die in a car on the way home from work.

Just terrible when something happens to a moto 'friend' and it makes some of us want to reevaluate the worth of the risks we take...

Be safe, bros.

BTW, I deleted my comments in the other thread....
|
akillerwombat
1/24/2019 9:23am
Love it or hate it – the people who do it have deemed it worth it and I am not going to stand in the way of someone doing what they love (pending it doesn't directly hurt someone else).

It all comes down to how the individual weighs that risk.

That said, we should be doing everything we can to continue to make the sport safer in hopes of reducing those risks.
Rhody
1/24/2019 9:26am
This year I lost my sister, a close friend and racer, and another fellow racer, all to cancer. After this year, I am more convinced than ever that the risks are worth it. If not for racing I would have just stayed in the military and found a more dangerous job than the one I had. Racing is what gets me out of bed in the morning, and also the reason that I have friends. If I weren't racing then I would expect people to mourn for me, because then my life would be sad.
yz133rider
1/24/2019 9:36am Edited Date/Time 1/24/2019 9:51am
Outdoor mx is worth the risk, but problem is outdoor mx tracks are harder and harder to find. More and more of what is charading around as outdoor mx is actually some perverted version of outdoor sx.

Local tracks designed for amateurs to be ridden with possibly 100s of riders in a day, in more often then not far less than perfect prep/conditions with less than perfect safety precautions (flaggers, competently trained staff etc), with severely varying levels of skill and experience and predictability of riders on track, has no business even resembling sx.

Mx used to be more time on the ground, navigating tricky terrain, off cambers, hills, sand, ruts, line choices, fitness. Now it is turn jump jump jump whoops jump turn jump turn jump.

Get mx back to actual mx and many of the safety issues will solve themselves.

Stop building tracks to cater to the top 5% of amateurs and start building for the 95%. Stop building a track to get that 15 second instagram video and start building them for lifelong customers building lifelong memories with the family at the track.

The Shop

barnett468
1/24/2019 9:38am
huck wrote:
Is it worth the risks involved? We all know that crashing and breaking something during our riding career is a good chance....but is it worth death...
Is it worth the risks involved? We all know that crashing and breaking something during our riding career is a good chance....but is it worth death?? Should your family mourn you for the rest of their lives because you went to race some race?

And yes, I know we can die in a car on the way home from work.

Just terrible when something happens to a moto 'friend' and it makes some of us want to reevaluate the worth of the risks we take...

Be safe, bros.

BTW, I deleted my comments in the other thread....
"Is it worth the risks involved?"

Well. I can tell you for a fact that many people will obviously say yes, but some of those same people will change their mind AFTER they get a serious injury, therefore, that question can't accurately be answered with a simple yes or no.

1/24/2019 9:43am
I'm not trying to diminish the woods, but it is a lot safer than mx in terms of catastrophic injury. The trouble is you get sick of it after a while and miss holding her open.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
1/24/2019 9:46am
If you do nothing with your life, you'll still die.
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
1/24/2019 9:47am Edited Date/Time 1/24/2019 9:51am
I absolutely love the sport, but i am on the side of its evolved to far for its own good and needs to take a couple steps backwards, im sure this will sound dumb to some people, but these bikes are to easy to ride fast
An inexperienced person can jump one and go fast, which is great until something unexpected happens. And they dont have the experience to save it.
Only the A riders need bikes as good whats the norm now
Not to mention e start , starting devices etc.
People say all the time a C rider could ride a 2008 and probably have the same results

kb228
1/24/2019 9:48am
Simple answer to a complex question.

Life is short. Dont waste it by NOT doing the shit you love to do.
zippytech
1/24/2019 9:56am Edited Date/Time 1/24/2019 10:01am
I have been riding and racing for over 30 years, I have never broken anything and never really got hurt much.If I had I might have changed my mind, but I had a brain aneurysm just moving a counter top, rather had one riding a bike..

yz133rider
1/24/2019 10:34am Edited Date/Time 1/24/2019 10:37am
yz133rider wrote:
Outdoor mx is worth the risk, but problem is outdoor mx tracks are harder and harder to find. More and more of what is charading around...
Outdoor mx is worth the risk, but problem is outdoor mx tracks are harder and harder to find. More and more of what is charading around as outdoor mx is actually some perverted version of outdoor sx.

Local tracks designed for amateurs to be ridden with possibly 100s of riders in a day, in more often then not far less than perfect prep/conditions with less than perfect safety precautions (flaggers, competently trained staff etc), with severely varying levels of skill and experience and predictability of riders on track, has no business even resembling sx.

Mx used to be more time on the ground, navigating tricky terrain, off cambers, hills, sand, ruts, line choices, fitness. Now it is turn jump jump jump whoops jump turn jump turn jump.

Stop building tracks to cater to the top 5% of amateurs and start building for the 95%. Stop building a track to get that 15 second instagram video and start building them for lifelong customers building lifelong memories with the family at the track.
Im also pretty certain thats why j-day, Sprint enduros, grass track races, harescrambles, are all thriving and popping up with massive attendance and why mx keeps circling the drain. People want to ride, but not everyone is as gnarly as eli tomac, its time tracks and promoters realize this.
CozMan
1/24/2019 10:39am
we have someone get killed on their bicycle in my area probably every other month. Every year kids are paralyzed playing football. Every year a handful of people die while boating at the lake.

Who knows how many total motorcycles are out there, but I would be that the death rates of bicycles, pools, and boating has a higher percentage than does motorcycles.

I get your question, but the reality is that I could walk outside and get flattened by a dump truck. Be smart, enjoy your life, and accept that sometimes really really shitty things happen.
yz133rider
1/24/2019 10:47am
CozMan wrote:
we have someone get killed on their bicycle in my area probably every other month. Every year kids are paralyzed playing football. Every year a handful...
we have someone get killed on their bicycle in my area probably every other month. Every year kids are paralyzed playing football. Every year a handful of people die while boating at the lake.

Who knows how many total motorcycles are out there, but I would be that the death rates of bicycles, pools, and boating has a higher percentage than does motorcycles.

I get your question, but the reality is that I could walk outside and get flattened by a dump truck. Be smart, enjoy your life, and accept that sometimes really really shitty things happen.
Not sure i agree at least not at first take.

Most pool and boating deaths i would say have to do with alcohol, drugs or otherwise extremely poor choices like jumping off a roof into a pool and missing or whatever.

And still ignoring the fact that tracks are very often poorly run, poorly staffed, poorly prepped, poorly structured, and poorly designed leading to many more accidents then necessary.
CozMan
1/24/2019 10:54am
yz133rider wrote:
Not sure i agree at least not at first take. Most pool and boating deaths i would say have to do with alcohol, drugs or otherwise...
Not sure i agree at least not at first take.

Most pool and boating deaths i would say have to do with alcohol, drugs or otherwise extremely poor choices like jumping off a roof into a pool and missing or whatever.

And still ignoring the fact that tracks are very often poorly run, poorly staffed, poorly prepped, poorly structured, and poorly designed leading to many more accidents then necessary.
poor choices with boats/pools/bikes can equal death.
poor choices (too fast, too big,) with dirt bikes can equal death.

There's a lot more boat/pool/bicycle deaths than dirt bikes. That's all I'm saying.

I do agree with you that tracks could be safer, definitely.
jjavaman
Fantasy
3765th
1/24/2019 11:09am
Would you or your loved ones rather have you die from cancer,car accident etc or die doing something you love? Face it, we all want to live to 85-90 or so with sound mind and body and die peacefully in our sleep, reality is life’s probably not gonna work out like that , so enjoy what you do, you only get 1 kick at the can!
MPJC
Fantasy
592nd
1/24/2019 11:12am
There is no universal, right answer to this. For some people, perhaps not. Here's a bit of my personal story that explains why riding has become an important part of my life. When I was a kid in rural Saskatchewan, I was always on either a dirt bike or a snowmobile. When I was 15, my friends and I were out riding some trails and old dirt roads and there just happened to be a truck driving on one of those roads and my friend had the misfortune of meeting it at a blind intersection and being killed. Needless to say, that was rather traumatizing, as I saw it happen. For years, I rode very little if at all (didn't touch a bike between the ages of about 24 and 44. In my late 30s and early 40s I became very, very depressed. For a stretch, I did practically nothing - avoided interacting with people, didn't eat or sleep properly, to the point where I had to be hospitalized. Upon recovering from those issues, I remembered how riding made me feel as a kid and wanted to get some of that feeling back. Also, my childhood experience had left me with some demons, and I wanted to say 'fuck you" to them - to face down some of the fears that had dogged me for many years. It's the best thing I could have done. It gives me a reason to get out of the house and get some exercise. I've met lots of great friends at the track, so it's been great for my social life. And, of course, it's fun. The local track where I ride is sand without big gapped jumps, so it's quite safe - not to mention nice and soft to land in when you crash (though very challenging). I've started racing and am loving it. I know that there is risk, but I make sure to ride within my limits with having fun as the number 1 goal. I don't care so much where I place - there's a few guys that are similar to my speed, so we have our own fun rivalry. Considering what I've been through, I'm doing very well now - happy and loving life, and moto is a big part of that.

What I say may not apply at all to people who race competitively and push it to the edge. But we all have our own reasons for doing what we do and loving what we love. If you don't love it, then it probably isn't worth it.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
1/24/2019 11:16am
Everything is a risk/reward analysis. That goes from walking across the street, to riding, to standing next to a track every weekend while racers zip past me.

It's up to the individual. Some people think knitting needles are dangerous. Others get their kicks with something speedier and more powerful.
NeedMoto
1/24/2019 11:17am
yz133rider wrote:
Outdoor mx is worth the risk, but problem is outdoor mx tracks are harder and harder to find. More and more of what is charading around...

yz133rider wrote:
Im also pretty certain thats why j-day, Sprint enduros, grass track races, harescrambles, are all thriving and popping up with massive attendance and why mx keeps...
Im also pretty certain thats why j-day, Sprint enduros, grass track races, harescrambles, are all thriving and popping up with massive attendance and why mx keeps circling the drain. People want to ride, but not everyone is as gnarly as eli tomac, its time tracks and promoters realize this.
Well said...^^^

I agree with both your post. Me and my riding buddies talk about this often. Half of my riding crew has gone the route of off-roading.
omalley
1/24/2019 11:26am
Too much nanny-state mentality these days. I should be able to risk myself if I choose.

That said, in my opinion a consideration has to be if you have others (wife/husband, kids) who depend on your income. If so, steps should to be taken (Aflac, other disability insurance) to make sure they are provided for.

At the end of the day, the only one who should make the decision as to risk/reward is you.
Sweetd31
1/24/2019 11:34am
seth505 wrote:
Yeah but no one got brain damage or spinal cord injury from wanking off on their couch all day either... at least I don’t think.
Flatliner
1/24/2019 11:38am
I still ride, but very much within my limits, The days of , “I think I can jump that” are over. If I’m not sure, I don’t.

To be honest, I get more enjoyment on the street riding with the gf, or daughter.
early
Fantasy
2231st
1/24/2019 11:38am
omalley wrote:
Too much nanny-state mentality these days. I should be able to risk myself if I choose. That said, in my opinion a consideration has to be...
Too much nanny-state mentality these days. I should be able to risk myself if I choose.

That said, in my opinion a consideration has to be if you have others (wife/husband, kids) who depend on your income. If so, steps should to be taken (Aflac, other disability insurance) to make sure they are provided for.

At the end of the day, the only one who should make the decision as to risk/reward is you.
I don't think Aflac pays if you get hurt racing motorcycles
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
1/24/2019 11:43am
seth505 wrote:
Sweetd31 wrote:
Yeah but no one got brain damage or spinal cord injury from wanking off on their couch all day either... at least I don’t think.
We need more data to say for sure Grinning
PK97
1/24/2019 11:49am
yz133rider wrote:

Well said!!! The young guys will attribute this to some of us being old!
mx317
1/24/2019 11:50am
yz133rider wrote:

yz133rider wrote:
Im also pretty certain thats why j-day, Sprint enduros, grass track races, harescrambles, are all thriving and popping up with massive attendance and why mx keeps...
NeedMoto wrote:
Well said...^^^ I agree with both your post. Me and my riding buddies talk about this often. Half of my riding crew has gone the route...
Well said...^^^

I agree with both your post. Me and my riding buddies talk about this often. Half of my riding crew has gone the route of off-roading.
I wish others thought like this (as I do). I quit going to my closest MX track because it became an obstacle course instead of a track. I'll drive 3 hours+ to ride a good track. There is no totally safe MX track, but be sensible with the prep and jumps and it will at least be safer.
mx317
1/24/2019 11:50am
yz133rider wrote:

PK97 wrote:
Well said!!! The young guys will attribute this to some of us being old!
but wise lol!
Naanak
1/24/2019 12:09pm Edited Date/Time 1/24/2019 12:14pm
A close friend of mine had a crash over a small single/scrub jump. He almost bled out and was very close to having his leg amputated. After 3-4 months in the hospital and permanent nerve danger in his lower leg he ride all the time about as fast as he did before. If it’s something you truly love you’ll do it regardless of the risks. There’s things people do that are much more dangerous then this sport for fun.
Trav138
1/24/2019 12:30pm Edited Date/Time 1/24/2019 12:34pm
I would like to hear the opinions of guys who have life changing injuries from mx, and how they feel.
I lost my lower right leg due to a mx crash. i have asked myself that question a lot over the years, or i get asked that quetion when im struggling with certain things.
I have no regrets, it was worth it to me. Riding has been such a positive influence in my life, and i have valuable experiences from it. I take some solace that i got hurt doing what i loved, and it was my choice and what i wanted to do.

Edit*'i dont have kids and i think that family and income really influence people's decisions!
Tim507
1/24/2019 12:31pm
Ha - at 66 it is still my passion - however the risk reward analysis is big and important as the penalty as you get older is bigger!

Post a reply to: Riding/racing MX and the risks...

The Latest