Riding over your head...

Big Lenny
Edited Date/Time 1/6/2014 7:34pm
I don't understand..Is this something the rider plans before the gate drops? ..Why does everyone say this when the rider is the one actually twisting the throttle?...Who here has purposely gone out a ridden over their head?...
|
motogrady
1/6/2014 10:38am
I don't think anyone plans on it.

Some times, during a race with a guy right on your ass, it's not hard to.

You've never ridden over your head?
Tumblin
1/6/2014 10:39am
Tumblin had if you asked those that named dub'd me....But it was always shit set up, I just thought otherwise.
Big Lenny
1/6/2014 10:44am
motogrady wrote:
I don't think anyone plans on it. Some times, during a race with a guy right on your ass, it's not hard to. You've never ridden...

Nope, I just try and go as fast as I feel comfortable, that's why I'm still ridin' at 58...

The Shop

Camp332
1/6/2014 10:48am
Tumblin wrote:
Tumblin had if you asked those that named dub'd me....But it was always shit set up, I just thought otherwise.
English muffukka!
Tumblin
1/6/2014 10:54am
Tumblin wrote:
Camp332 wrote:
English muffukka!
Yes, I have ridden over my head, boots over helmet style.
Mo betta?
Big Lenny
1/6/2014 11:00am
Don't get me wrong I've crashed going fast and slow, but I don't put on my gear and tell my friends or myself "I think I'll ride over my head today"...
motogrady
1/6/2014 11:03am
motogrady wrote:
I don't think anyone plans on it. Some times, during a race with a guy right on your ass, it's not hard to. You've never ridden...

Big Lenny wrote:
Nope, I just try and go as fast as I feel comfortable, that's why I'm still ridin' at 58...
Well, the thing is guy, when it's an organized race, it's a bit different.
Trail riding, mixing it up for a bit with your buddies, that's one thing.

But if you've trained, have people there watching how you do,
spent a lot of effort on prepping for the event, and have to deliver
on a set time and place, that's another thing all together

Hell, I'm 59 and still ride the dirt sometimes.
No big deal.

But, to go back out there, and next year would be good for me, I'd be the young guy in the AHRMA 60 class,
I don't know if I want to risk it.
Big Lenny
1/6/2014 11:08am Edited Date/Time 1/6/2014 11:10am
motogrady wrote:

Big Lenny wrote:
motogrady wrote:
Well, the thing is guy, when it's an organized race, it's a bit different. Trail riding, mixing it up for a bit with your buddies, that's...
Well, the thing is guy, when it's an organized race, it's a bit different.
Trail riding, mixing it up for a bit with your buddies, that's one thing.

But if you've trained, have people there watching how you do,
spent a lot of effort on prepping for the event, and have to deliver
on a set time and place, that's another thing all together

Hell, I'm 59 and still ride the dirt sometimes.
No big deal.

But, to go back out there, and next year would be good for me, I'd be the young guy in the AHRMA 60 class,
I don't know if I want to risk it.
So when these Cats are pushin' it to the front and go down which lap do you consider them riding over their head?...And what's the point of prepping and training if you're just gonna go out and ride over your head anyway?...
motogrady
1/6/2014 11:23am Edited Date/Time 1/6/2014 11:25am
I could be a smart ass and say "the effin lap he wrecked on", but I won't.

But, usually, 2 or 3 going at it for the win with 3 laps to go, I can see any racer getting out of
his comfort zone and taking chances.

Hey, it's 2 laps to go, Big Lenny is side by side with Joe Blow, who just brakechecked him the lap before.
His wife is cheering him as they blast down the straightaway.
His Son is yelling "GO DADDY!!".
The guy that owns the local bar is there, with a free pass for tonigh'ts SurfnTurf for 2, waving them at you.

And Big Lenny is just gonna, how'd you put it, stay comfortable?
motoracer633
1/6/2014 11:29am
Hell, even Dungey rides over his head sometimes. You don't progress if you don't!
motogrady
1/6/2014 11:34am Edited Date/Time 1/6/2014 11:35am
Hell, even Dungey rides over his head sometimes. You don't progress if you don't!
And sometimes you just get caught up in the moment.

Who here hasn't had some guy block you, or push you, when running freaking 14th and have that shot
of adrenaline hit your brain?
1/6/2014 11:38am
I ride over my head almost every time I race ''if you aint crashin you aint tryin''. You don't think ''oh I'm gonna go and race over my head'' it's just that when the gate drops you want to win, nothing wrong with it,, you're not trying to crash, just trying to win.
zook11
1/6/2014 11:42am
Big Lenny wrote:
I don't understand..Is this something the rider plans before the gate drops? ..Why does everyone say this when the rider is the one actually twisting the...
I don't understand..Is this something the rider plans before the gate drops? ..Why does everyone say this when the rider is the one actually twisting the throttle?...Who here has purposely gone out a ridden over their head?...
James stewart is the definition of riding over your head. He could get away with it in 07 when he was racing against nobody, now there Is 3 riders that are straight up faster.
Big Lenny
1/6/2014 11:44am
So how can you tell from a couch that a Cat is riding over his head?...
zook11
1/6/2014 11:47am Edited Date/Time 1/6/2014 11:50am
Big Lenny wrote:
He crashes 90% of the time, I could be blind and see he rides over his head.

Btw I really wanted him to put it to rocZen
motogrady
1/6/2014 11:48am Edited Date/Time 1/6/2014 11:51am
Big Lenny wrote:
I don't understand..Is this something the rider plans before the gate drops? ..Why does everyone say this when the rider is the one actually twisting the...
zook11 wrote:
James stewart is the definition of riding over your head. He could get away with it in 07 when he was racing against nobody, now there...
James stewart is the definition of riding over your head. He could get away with it in 07 when he was racing against nobody, now there Is 3 riders that are straight up faster.
I dunno about all that.

I think James just rides more on the edge, same as RV.

It's not like #7 had 4 close calls right before he ffell.

Faster you go, better the chances you'll get bit.

I would like to have seen James tone it down a bit when he got to Roczen,
but in the heat of it, that one was just racing imo.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
1/6/2014 11:49am
My feet have ridden over my head many times, but it's usually my right wrist's fault.
motogrady
1/6/2014 11:50am
Big Lenny wrote:
You start making big mistake after big mistake, and don't tone it down,
you're riding over your head.
Big Lenny
1/6/2014 11:52am
Big Lenny wrote:
zook11 wrote:
He crashes 90% of the time, I could be blind and see he rides over his head. Btw I really wanted him to put it to...

So you're sayin' RV was riding over his head at A1?...
Crash82
Fantasy
2036th
1/6/2014 11:52am Edited Date/Time 1/6/2014 11:53am
Big Lenny wrote:
If you exit the whoops doing a spinning back kick? Seriously i though JS was on point looked really smooth, i think that rut would have taken anyone out. He was focused on passing or setting up a pass and missed his line a bit. I wouldn't call that riding over his head.
hillbilly
1/6/2014 11:58am
Ok, on 70,s twin sbock stuff it was easy to crash but hard to ride over your head because your legs were the suspenion and track were not super.

In the 80,s bikes progressed and one got the feeling of impossible to crash till tracks went super.

Once tracks went su per with big hucks you had to ride past the comfort zone to compete.

Now,when I came out of a 10 yr high aidist the bikes had come to a place past what my mind would let me charge.

You can now huck the gwaps with ease overjumping and such .But gaps are not were these guys go over the head or out of the comfort zone.

That place is the whoops in sx and corner entry/apex.

The front guys runs corners on the gas,steering with the rear and body.

Roxen is great at riding in the comfort zone,so is RD,

RV and Stewart can cut the mind off and push past the edge,both are better at this than anyone in recent memory.

If Roxen wants to win weekly he will have to push much harder,A1 was lucky for him.

Stewart had no idea if he was going to be on the bike at the end of the whoops when he turned down off the corner and upshifted,if he had made it,hero,winner,if not,forum fodder.

Stewart and RV have nerves of steel and have paid with long sits with injury,but that is the price of 1st place

I also think RV did something at A1 that he has not done before,settle for other than 1st,he wants another,bad.
motogrady
1/6/2014 12:01pm
Big Lenny wrote:
zook11 wrote:
He crashes 90% of the time, I could be blind and see he rides over his head. Btw I really wanted him to put it to...

Big Lenny wrote:
If anything he came in too soft. He didn't carry the speed to kinda rail the berm,
got low in the turn where it was slick and lost the front.

I had the impression he was being too cautious on that one, not over his head/reckless.
Big Lenny
1/6/2014 12:04pm
zook11 wrote:

Big Lenny wrote:
motogrady wrote:
If anything he came in too soft. He didn't carry the speed to kinda rail the berm, got low in the turn where it was slick...
If anything he came in too soft. He didn't carry the speed to kinda rail the berm,

I had the impression he was being too cautious on that one, not over his head/reckless.
So when does "over riding" the track come into play?...
Camp332
1/6/2014 12:13pm
I thought I was James Stewart in practice back in July. Sure enough, I crashed and broke my scapula. Does that mean I personally rode over my head, or was it that James Stewart took over my riding and crashed for me bro?
motogrady
1/6/2014 12:16pm
Big Lenny wrote:
motogrady wrote:
If anything he came in too soft. He didn't carry the speed to kinda rail the berm, got low in the turn where it was slick...

Big Lenny wrote:
So when does "over riding" the track come into play?...
Well, last week it came into play when RV lost the front imo.
motogrady
1/6/2014 12:17pm
Camp332 wrote:
I thought I was James Stewart in practice back in July. Sure enough, I crashed and broke my scapula. Does that mean I personally rode over...
I thought I was James Stewart in practice back in July. Sure enough, I crashed and broke my scapula. Does that mean I personally rode over my head, or was it that James Stewart took over my riding and crashed for me bro?
No, you were just kidding yourself.
Racer92
1/6/2014 12:24pm
"Stewart had no idea if he was going to be on the bike at the end of the whoops when he turned down off the corner and upshifted,if he had made it,hero,winner,if not,forum fodder.

Stewart and RV have nerves of steel and have paid with long sits with injury,but that is the price of 1st place"

Whole lotta truth right there.
Camp332
1/6/2014 12:27pm
Camp332 wrote:
I thought I was James Stewart in practice back in July. Sure enough, I crashed and broke my scapula. Does that mean I personally rode over...
motogrady wrote:
No, you were just kidding yourself.
Ain't that the truth.
rollingtach
1/6/2014 12:27pm
These amazing riders are amazing because they've managed the edge their whole career. The lightning fast reflexes they had to manage their innate talent , tends to slow as a result of age and years of crashing and hard racing. Yeah their relatively young and in good health and still have good reflexes but not quite as good as they once were. Shit in the case of JS he's like rubber man. He's takin some big crashes and walked away seemingly unscathed but it's all cumulative. His skill as a rider demands lightning fast reflexes. I don't think he's riding any more on the edge or out of his norm than he has in the past..

Post a reply to: Riding over your head...

The Latest