Riding mx on a exc 300tpi

Related:
Create New Tag

6/6/2020 7:27 AM

Are there any reasons why a 300 exc tpi would not be suitable for motocross?
I now drive an sx250, but next year I also want to be able to ride enduro.
I know that a tpi is a little bit heavier, but with a littium battery and a few adjustments that will not be noticeable I think?
Suspension will be adjusted for mx

I know the TPIs run a little lean, but maybe that can be solved with the GET cdi. We have heavy sand tracks here.

|

6/6/2020 8:11 AM

Sounds great to me! Yeah, set up the suspension and I think it'd be great!

|

6/6/2020 8:27 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/6/2020 8:29 AM

If you're after TPI, get the Husky with linkage for MX usage. Just be aware they are going to be a much softer power delivery than your SX, to me that's a good thing, depends what you want.

If you already had one, I'd say no problem, rock on.

If you're looking for a multi purpose 2t 300 with an e-start and 6spd., the Beta, TM and Sherco are also great choices.

|

2015 Beta 500 RS, history: 99 KTM 300, 87 CR250, 84 KLR 600, 82 GPZ 550, 81 KX 250, 80 KX 250, 79 Montesa 414 VE, 78 250 VB, 77 360 VB, 76 360 VA, 75 YZ 125, 74 TM 125, 72 TS 125, 60's West Bend Go Boy Kart

6/6/2020 9:54 AM

ron36 wrote:

I know that a tpi is a little bit heavier, but with a littium battery and a few adjustments that will not be noticeable I think?

I know the TPIs run a little lean, but maybe that can be solved with the GET cdi. We have heavy sand tracks here.

The super soft and wallowy OC fork that might get you killed perhaps? Buy an XC or a Husky TX if you want to do some Moto. Way better choice than an EXC.

|

6/6/2020 10:19 AM

ron36 wrote:

If the suspensions are setted decently you can rip it on a mx tracks. Go on youtube and search kevin horgmo and look what he is doing with a 250tpi on heavy sand.
Anyway, the only problem is that i think it has pds and not leverages.

|

rarararaataatatatata

6/6/2020 10:21 AM

Johnny Depp wrote:

If you're after TPI, get the Husky with linkage for MX usage. Just be aware they are going to be a much softer power delivery than your SX, to me that's a good thing, depends what you want.

If you already had one, I'd say no problem, rock on.

If you're looking for a multi purpose 2t 300 with an e-start and 6spd., the Beta, TM and Sherco are also great choices.

+1 to this, but it also depends how fast you are, because if you're slow enough, anything works great for mx. Personally I've never been happy with PDS suspension for mx and don't think progressive springs can equal the progressiveness of linkage.

|

6/6/2020 10:22 AM

I just got a 250 XC tpi yesterday that I’m hoping to make into a 50/50 GNCC type and Mx bike

|

6/6/2020 11:18 AM

Pirate421 wrote:

I just got a 250 XC tpi yesterday that I’m hoping to make into a 50/50 GNCC type and Mx bike

Not calling you a liar, but don't you have a cell phone? You can "Speak with your Wallet!"

|

2015 Beta 500 RS, history: 99 KTM 300, 87 CR250, 84 KLR 600, 82 GPZ 550, 81 KX 250, 80 KX 250, 79 Montesa 414 VE, 78 250 VB, 77 360 VB, 76 360 VA, 75 YZ 125, 74 TM 125, 72 TS 125, 60's West Bend Go Boy Kart

6/6/2020 11:21 AM

" but it also depends how fast you are, because if you're slow enough, anything works great for mx."

I feel a burning sensation? Ouch.laughing

|

6/6/2020 11:28 AM

Pirate421 wrote:

Johnny Depp wrote:

Not calling you a liar, but don't you have a cell phone? You can "Speak with your Wallet!"

Haha I figured I should do one soon but it’s just stock for now. Skid plate ordered then going to try it stock for a while. Moving in two weeks so no riding till we get to the new house and set up.

Photo

|

6/6/2020 11:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/6/2020 11:41 AM

Pirate421 wrote:

Johnny Depp wrote:

Pirate421 wrote:

Haha I figured I should do one soon but it’s just stock for now. Skid plate ordered then going to try it stock for a while. Moving in two weeks so no riding till we get to the new house and set up.

Photo

Awesome. Perhaps the best MX/XC 2t on the market right now. For most I suspect it would make a better MX bike than the SX. Stock is fine, it doesn't need much, maybe opening the mid valve float.

|

6/6/2020 11:53 AM

ron36 wrote:

MZ193 wrote:

If the suspensions are setted decently you can rip it on a mx tracks. Go on youtube and search kevin horgmo and look what he is doing with a 250tpi on heavy sand.

I know fast pros that can take anything out and rip. The AER fork is a way better starting point. Pretty hard to debate or disagree with that. Sure I can take the stock Xplor and throw a set of inserts or cartridges in and make them work but why do that when you can buy a stock out of the crate bike that will run Moto and offroad very well with just clicker and air pressure adjustments.

|

6/6/2020 12:16 PM

I’m really excited about the XC. I just took i for a few minutes around the house and it is so smooth and vibration free and it runs so clean. Can’t wait to see how it does in the woods

|

6/6/2020 12:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/6/2020 12:18 PM

ron36 wrote:

MZ193 wrote:

Tuna wrote:

I know fast pros that can take anything out and rip. The AER fork is a way better starting point. Pretty hard to debate or disagree with that. Sure I can take the stock Xplor and throw a set of inserts or cartridges in and make them work but why do that when you can buy a stock out of the crate bike that will run Moto and offroad very well with just clicker and air pressure adjustments.

We have to buy a EXC because of the registration here. I cant ride a SX of XC legal on the road here,
Only a exc can be on the road legal.'

Maybe a husqvarna is better because of the linkage.
Fork isn't a problem, if my suspension guy cant make it work i buy a a-kit fork.

Thanks for the reply's, hope find some people who also motocross with a tpi bike.

|

6/6/2020 12:46 PM

Pirate421 wrote:

Photo

Awesome, you finally got it! I remember the first time I took off on mine and the smoothness just blew me away. You're gonna love it!

|

6/6/2020 12:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/6/2020 12:56 PM

I have ridden my off-road bikes at the track in the past and with the softer settings on my suspension, it can be a bit dangerous. I have cone valve forks and a Trax shock, which if set up for Mx, could solve that problem. But I believe the stock suspension could be set up ok for the average rider. I’m not big on the powerband of my 300, compared to my 450 MX bike, so I have no interest in trying mine at the track.
If it was my only bike, I could make it work !

https://dirtbikemagazine.com/amp/ktm-300xc-w-tpi-behind-the-build/

|

6/6/2020 1:17 PM

MZ193 wrote:

Tuna wrote:

ron36 wrote:

We have to buy a EXC because of the registration here. I cant ride a SX of XC legal on the road here,
Only a exc can be on the road legal.'

Maybe a husqvarna is better because of the linkage.
Fork isn't a problem, if my suspension guy cant make it work i buy a a-kit fork.

Thanks for the reply's, hope find some people who also motocross with a tpi bike.

Lots of stuff you can do if that’s the case. SX head, ECU, etc. Stanfard shock can be set up nicely. I’d go for the Husky with linkage.

|

6/6/2020 6:57 PM

Loosen the tps screws and turn it CCW. Then tighten up the screws. This small amount will richen it up 20 milli volts worth. Have you installed the yellow spring and backed off the PV tension some?

|