Riding like a girl

Fourth_Floor
Edited Date/Time 5/9/2018 4:57pm
Was reading a bit of the other topic about what Shane said during his press conference and it got me thinking. What exactly is the reason we haven't seen a female be competitive in pro motocross/supercross? No way is it a physical limitation as there is a girl by the name of Courtney Dauwalter that won the Moab 240 Ultra marathon beating every guy in the race and finished more than 10 hours ahead of 2nd place. Without a shadow of a doubt, the people that do these crazy 240 mile runs are in far better shape than motocross athletes. If it's not a physical restriction, then what exactly is it? Are there any studies that have been done to show that a females brain is wired more towards self preservation and continuation of the species vs. a guy who is more likely to engage in riskier behavior?

I just don't see, being physically smaller than a guy, being that much of a disadvantage in an endurance sport. Something like MMA or Football? Absolutely they couldn't compete with men.

https://gearjunkie.com/courtney-dauwalter-moab-200-winner
|
JustMX
5/7/2018 7:04am
So, new thread worthy?

Nah.....
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
5/7/2018 7:05am
Cause men are dumb as shit, and you ain't exactly helping us with that.

The Shop

kb228
5/7/2018 7:08am
Girls arent physically as strong as men. Naturally they arent going to get as strong as ken roczen. You need strength to handle huge landings. Cardio doesnt cut it. This is evident in any sport thats not cardio based like the running example you gave.
Fourth_Floor
5/7/2018 7:13am Edited Date/Time 5/7/2018 7:13am
kb228 wrote:
Girls arent physically as strong as men. Naturally they arent going to get as strong as ken roczen. You need strength to handle huge landings. Cardio...
Girls arent physically as strong as men. Naturally they arent going to get as strong as ken roczen. You need strength to handle huge landings. Cardio doesnt cut it. This is evident in any sport thats not cardio based like the running example you gave.
If you come up short or over jump, maybe, but if you're flowing around a track hitting your marks, the suspension does it's job. We've seen guys land off the finish line jump with 1 hand raised in the air and freestyle guys land with no hands on the bars so the impact you feel from landing on the downside of a landing isn't all that great.
early
Fantasy
2212th
5/7/2018 7:13am Edited Date/Time 5/7/2018 7:14am
Ultra running is a terrible example.

Women are more competitive with men in endurance sports ,sports where strength-to-weight ratio is very important, or sports where flexibility is very important.

Motocross is none of these things. Women can ride motorcycles, there are some fairly competitive women in flat track and roadracing. I think the main thing is the lower number of total female participants that start in motocross.
Fourth_Floor
5/7/2018 7:19am
early wrote:
Ultra running is a terrible example. Women are more competitive with men in endurance sports ,sports where strength-to-weight ratio is very important, or sports where flexibility...

Women are more competitive with men in endurance sports ,sports where strength-to-weight ratio is very important, or sports where flexibility is very important.

Motocross is none of these things. Women can ride motorcycles, there are some fairly competitive women in flat track and roadracing. I think the main thing is the lower number of total female participants that start in motocross.
I agree with the lower number of participates possibly being the reason but I'm not sure I buy the strength disadvantage. These guys are built like horse jockey's not power lifters. I'm positive there are women out there that can lift more weights than Ken Roczen.
Bearuno
5/7/2018 7:21am
Just needs the right Girl to take up MX, that's all.

But that "all", is a pretty involved thing. Just as it is for the Male riders that succeed at the highest level. It will take a woman that steps out of the (their success in the) female class, and into the main class, which is, of course, pretty much populated by men. You only improve, by going up against the best, in any endeavour.

Lia Sainz is a heck of an example of what a Woman can achieve in Motorcycling. And, she's not far from being the tallest rider in the KTM Rally Team. Strength is not a problem for her. Hell, when she was on the Honda Team, 'The Gonk' came up to about chest level on Lia.....Woohoo
kb228
5/7/2018 7:21am
kb228 wrote:
Girls arent physically as strong as men. Naturally they arent going to get as strong as ken roczen. You need strength to handle huge landings. Cardio...
If you come up short or over jump, maybe, but if you're flowing around a track hitting your marks, the suspension does it's job. We've seen...
If you come up short or over jump, maybe, but if you're flowing around a track hitting your marks, the suspension does it's job. We've seen guys land off the finish line jump with 1 hand raised in the air and freestyle guys land with no hands on the bars so the impact you feel from landing on the downside of a landing isn't all that great.
What about flat landing off a wall jump or hitting whoops/rollers? Legs are suspension
agn5009
5/7/2018 7:26am
It blows my mind how anyone can even ask questions like this. There's a reason women aren't as good as men (comparatively speaking) at sports such a MX, football, baseball, soccer, basketball, etc. I just can't imagine not knowing the answer to something that is common sense.
smxtracing
5/7/2018 7:33am
There was a girl in the uk that used to beat tommy Searle on 125s at 16 she got her pro license Sadly she went to America to train and had a big off and lost the use of her legs she ripped!
agn5009
5/7/2018 7:36am
I don't want to sound like I'm knocking women at all. I respect their abilities in every sports. They are some amazing athletes. But here's a pretty wild story. When the US women's national soccer team was getting ready for the Women's World Cup that they won they scrimmaged the US boys 15 and under national B team. The women lost both games by the average score of 5-0.
TXDirt
5/7/2018 7:37am
Danica Patrick proved once and for all that a women cannot drive a car without crashing it. Tongue
tkimb
5/7/2018 7:43am
Same reason a woman's hockey team or baseball team would be blown out of the water by a guys team.
I will say some of it can be participation. There aren't many families getting their little girls involved in riding at 5 years old and then taking them to the track every weekend until they're 16.
early
Fantasy
2212th
5/7/2018 7:45am
early wrote:
Ultra running is a terrible example. Women are more competitive with men in endurance sports ,sports where strength-to-weight ratio is very important, or sports where flexibility...

I agree with the lower number of participates possibly being the reason but I'm not sure I buy the strength disadvantage. These guys are built like...
I agree with the lower number of participates possibly being the reason but I'm not sure I buy the strength disadvantage. These guys are built like horse jockey's not power lifters. I'm positive there are women out there that can lift more weights than Ken Roczen.
Motocross takes a level of "toughness", skill, and coordination, not strength hence the lean and fit stature of the top athletes.
kkawboy14
5/7/2018 7:47am
tkimb wrote:
Same reason a woman's hockey team or baseball team would be blown out of the water by a guys team. I will say some of it...
Same reason a woman's hockey team or baseball team would be blown out of the water by a guys team.
I will say some of it can be participation. There aren't many families getting their little girls involved in riding at 5 years old and then taking them to the track every weekend until they're 16.
Most girls ride when they are 5 years old. Both of mine did. It’s when they hit 13 they quit. They turned into little women, it’s hot, it’s dirty, I don’t want to get hurt/bruised the only thing they liked was the guys, so they went to all the races for years but quit riding.
tkimb
5/7/2018 7:59am Edited Date/Time 5/7/2018 8:13am
tkimb wrote:
Same reason a woman's hockey team or baseball team would be blown out of the water by a guys team. I will say some of it...
kkawboy14 wrote:
Most girls ride when they are 5 years old. Both of mine did. It’s when they hit 13 they quit. They turned into little women, it’s...
Most girls ride when they are 5 years old. Both of mine did. It’s when they hit 13 they quit. They turned into little women, it’s hot, it’s dirty, I don’t want to get hurt/bruised the only thing they liked was the guys, so they went to all the races for years but quit riding.
Yeah a lot start at that age due to just going a long with whatever the parents give them but they don't continue. Putting around on a 50 or 65 is cute but between 10-14 I'd guess probably over half stop, especially doing it as a weekly thing. I'm sure the abysmal woman's classes at local tracks has an effect on it too though.

Edit: they either start early and quit, or start too late
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
5/7/2018 8:07am Edited Date/Time 5/7/2018 8:07am
I honestly do not have a good answer for you.

The macho man beast in here saying it’s because of strength are way off base. Look at some very successful guy racers over the years and it’s pretty obvious this is not a sport that requires brute strength that the right woman would not be able to achieve with training. Lindsay Vonn or the Williams (tennis) sisters are great examples. Their physical strength would rival anyone on the line at a SX

So to answer your question, I have no idea other then to qoute a saying from the 70’s

“It takes knobby balls to ride MX“
Maybe there was more to that shirt than we realized
Z
5/7/2018 8:14am Edited Date/Time 5/7/2018 8:15am
The things that make this message board incredibly lame:

1) Taking screenshots of comments of social media and posting it on Vital to start a "conversation" about it.
2) Piggy-backing off topically related threads to start new ones
3) 2 strokes
4) People
Phantom 661
5/7/2018 8:15am
The average women is phisically weaker than the average man. There are exceptions of course. Females tend to be wider in the hips and narrower in the shoulders. Hence, the hour glass shape or figure we guys are attracted to. What Courtney did is very impressive. However, I'd be more impressed if she could go 30+2 on a hot day and win out over AC, JH, or ET for example. One more thing... I'm the last guy you should ask about how a women's brain is wired. Laughing
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
5/7/2018 8:20am
Z wrote:
The things that make this message board incredibly lame: 1) Taking screenshots of comments of social media and posting it on Vital to start a "conversation"...

1) Taking screenshots of comments of social media and posting it on Vital to start a "conversation" about it.
3) 2 strokes
4) People
No offence but it's free to sign up and no one forced you to make an account. Don't like Vital? Join a different forum.

Pretty simple.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
5/7/2018 8:29am Edited Date/Time 5/7/2018 8:30am
Z wrote:
The things that make this message board incredibly lame: 1) Taking screenshots of comments of social media and posting it on Vital to start a "conversation"...

3) 2 strokes
4) People
-MAVERICK- wrote:
No offence but it's free to sign up and no one forced you to make an account. Don't like Vital? Join a different forum.

Pretty simple.
Shouldnt that be “offense” haha

And coming in at number 5- Spellcheck police

I’m just screwing with you Maverick. I agree with what you said
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
5/7/2018 8:35am
KennyT wrote:

Just so you know

"There is no difference in meaning between offence and offense. They're exactly the same in all their definitions. The difference is that offense is the preferred spelling in American English, while offence is preferred in British, Indian, Canadian, and Australian English."

I'm Canadian. Tongue
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
5/7/2018 8:41am Edited Date/Time 5/7/2018 8:42am
KennyT wrote:

-MAVERICK- wrote:
Just so you know [i]"There is no difference in meaning between offence and offense. They're exactly the same in all their definitions. The difference is that...
Just so you know

"There is no difference in meaning between offence and offense. They're exactly the same in all their definitions. The difference is that offense is the preferred spelling in American English, while offence is preferred in British, Indian, Canadian, and Australian English."

I'm Canadian. Tongue
Haha...you can really learn a lot on Vital! Thanks for that Maverick
wreckitrandy
5/7/2018 8:45am
Z wrote:

3) 2 strokes
4) People
-MAVERICK- wrote:

Pretty simple.
KennyT wrote:

6- Newbs with worthless opinions
FI2T
5/7/2018 8:50am
early wrote:

I agree with the lower number of participates possibly being the reason but I'm not sure I buy the strength disadvantage. These guys are built like...
Women are not competitive with men in endurance sports. Look at Olympic records... it's not close at the top levels.

Ken Roczen is not a weight lifter. The average male lifter is going to outlift most top level women weight lifters. A few hrs of people watching at the gym can prove this.

Comparing women to men athletically is not fair. Plenty of science and statistics to back that up.
Premixed112
5/7/2018 8:54am
FI2T wrote:
Women are not competitive with men in endurance sports. Look at Olympic records... it's not close at the top levels. Ken Roczen is not a weight...
Women are not competitive with men in endurance sports. Look at Olympic records... it's not close at the top levels.

Ken Roczen is not a weight lifter. The average male lifter is going to outlift most top level women weight lifters. A few hrs of people watching at the gym can prove this.

Comparing women to men athletically is not fair. Plenty of science and statistics to back that up.
"She was faster than any of the men in the pack, beating the second-place finisher by more than 10 hours."
https://gearjunkie.com/courtney-dauwalter-moab-200-winner
blaster99
Fantasy
413th
5/7/2018 9:02am
When it comes to extreme endurance sports, women will perform better. They metabolize lipids much more efficiently than men. When you are 3 hours into competition, that's the main energy system you are using.
5/7/2018 9:07am
There’s a dutch girl coming up that is kicking ass on a 65cc. She won the first round in her region of EMX65 qualifying, which means she beat all the fastest 65cc riders there is in Holland, Belgium, GB, Germany and the nordic countries.

Just checked you can find her on instagram HERE

Post a reply to: Riding like a girl

The Latest