Riding for the pure joy of it...regardless of the bike

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
Okay, I have to admit, there's something a bit appealing to me about this retro-style shenanigans with the Von Zipper crew. What's your take?

http://us.vonzipper.com/blog/post/i-am-a-freewheeler
|
mx317
10/21/2016 12:03pm
It kind of reminds me of when I first started riding. I admit I have as much fun riding my old XR Honda as I do my 2017 KTM 450 SXF. Riding it is just fun, nothing serious.
FWYT
10/21/2016 12:06pm Edited Date/Time 10/21/2016 2:03pm
Very Bro. I mean, I get what they are trying to communicate with the spot
but it comes off way Bro. (which probably nails their target audience)

Edit: And to clarify- I fully embrace the message, just feel the production is a bit off.
SCR
10/21/2016 12:20pm
Its not about the bike. In high school ( circa the 1970s) we would go to Gorman on Easter vacation week. Remember loading my buddies 53 chevy step side pick and and a trailer with a 75CR250, 75XL350, 71DT250 and a 73125 Pursang and a some coolers, sleeping bags, case of beer, guns, etc. I rode my XT500.

That 53 chevy took a long time to get up Interstate 5 to Gorman. Back then you could camp pretty much wherever you wanted and have an open fire if you were not being stupid about it. Not sure if it was OK to shoot the guns there but no one ever said anything. Rode all day, shoot guns at targets on the hill across from the camp in the evening. Camp fire hot dogs and beer. Great times.

Nobody had more fun and rode there bike harder and longer than my friend Don on his beat to shit 71 DT250 Yamaha.
I had to run up to the bike shop in Fraizer park a couple times to get cables for both the DT250 and the Bultaco to keep them running for the week. Fixing the bikes with whatever parts, money, and tools we had was part of the adventure. Man lots of stories and adventures from those trips.
Camp332
10/21/2016 12:32pm
FWYT wrote:
Very Bro. I mean, I get what they are trying to communicate with the spot but it comes off way Bro. (which probably nails their target...
Very Bro. I mean, I get what they are trying to communicate with the spot
but it comes off way Bro. (which probably nails their target audience)

Edit: And to clarify- I fully embrace the message, just feel the production is a bit off.
Absolutely Bro!

The Shop

731chopper
Fantasy
355th
10/21/2016 1:00pm
I dig it. I've been riding a lot of vintage bikes lately because my old man and I have gotten into racing vintage as something to do together again. We've got bikes from the early 70s all the way up to present. Last weekend I was just riding a 73 CZ 250 on our new track we carved out that has no jumps and a lot of natural, difficult terrain. It's fun, lots of fun.
RandyS
10/21/2016 1:13pm
In the late 60s and 70s I rode every minute possible. I could leave from my house and end up at any one of a dozen spots without touching pavement, I can't imagine letting a 7 or 8 year old just take off all day on his own but I survived. In the 80s it was still mostly about riding, didn't matter where. Some of the people I rode with were hardcore racers, some just rode motorcycles. I was somewhere in between. In the mid 90s everything became more about practice days, I guess partly because the spots were drying up. But from the day that happened it was never as much fun as just going out in a field and making a track. I'm sure some came with age, a lot came with bikes. It's much more fun on a smaller bike(less travel) to just go around of flat and tear shit up. Racing is not as much fun as just riding, never has been never will be. It's fun in a different way but not as pure fun as just riding
10/21/2016 1:21pm Edited Date/Time 10/21/2016 1:22pm
I should clarify my previous post. I love riding. I'll ride a spree 50 scooter and have a blast.
That video is hipster as f×ck however. A bunch of coffee shop cretins.
zehn
10/21/2016 1:25pm
I love how seriously some people take dirtbikes
kiwifan
10/21/2016 1:30pm
Very cool GuyB, me and my mates when out riding last weekend just exploring new trails, I even rode my CR500 ...pure pleasure
rrjr
10/21/2016 1:32pm
More about riding for the pure joy of selling something. But a cool video none the less. Brings back some good memories of riding and camping with my grandfather.
Camp332
10/21/2016 1:45pm
It's definitely cool bro. Hipsters don't shoot guns, they ride their cafe racers to starbucks. Give this more credit than calling it "hipster" Bros.
10/21/2016 1:46pm
Ive had more fun on a beat to shit Honda SL100 or CT70 than I ever will on a Fuel Injected new race bike.

On the little bikes you had to work to do something as simple as a wheelie. We are so fortunate today in that every bike made is relatively decent - even many of the asian/south american bikes.
rrjr
10/21/2016 1:54pm
RandyS wrote:
In the late 60s and 70s I rode every minute possible. I could leave from my house and end up at any one of a dozen...
In the late 60s and 70s I rode every minute possible. I could leave from my house and end up at any one of a dozen spots without touching pavement, I can't imagine letting a 7 or 8 year old just take off all day on his own but I survived. In the 80s it was still mostly about riding, didn't matter where. Some of the people I rode with were hardcore racers, some just rode motorcycles. I was somewhere in between. In the mid 90s everything became more about practice days, I guess partly because the spots were drying up. But from the day that happened it was never as much fun as just going out in a field and making a track. I'm sure some came with age, a lot came with bikes. It's much more fun on a smaller bike(less travel) to just go around of flat and tear shit up. Racing is not as much fun as just riding, never has been never will be. It's fun in a different way but not as pure fun as just riding
I can't imagine letting a 7 or 8 year old just take off all day on his own but I survived.

Yeah he might grow up to be a furry and have a fixation with bunny rabbits.

Just kidding,

Different times for sure. I used to be able to ride to school when I missed the bus without riding on the road. I intentionally missed the bus a lot.
Hallzilla
10/21/2016 2:22pm Edited Date/Time 10/21/2016 2:24pm
I should clarify my previous post. I love riding. I'll ride a spree 50 scooter and have a blast. That video is hipster as f×ck however...
I should clarify my previous post. I love riding. I'll ride a spree 50 scooter and have a blast.
I've ridden with a couple of those cretins, and Ill tell you this, they would have a blast sipping coffee and blowing past you simultaneously.
Tracktor
10/21/2016 2:24pm
I've always said beginners & squids have more true fun in this sport than damn near everyone. the faster you get I find the more risk it takes to get that thrill. I remember when riding an crappy mini bike around a field was the height of enjoyment...............
10/21/2016 2:25pm
I should clarify my previous post. I love riding. I'll ride a spree 50 scooter and have a blast. That video is hipster as f×ck however...
Hallzilla wrote:
I've ridden with a couple of those cretins, and Ill tell you this, they would have a blast sipping coffee and blowing past you simultaneously.
Cool story.
10/21/2016 2:28pm
SCR wrote:
Its not about the bike. In high school ( circa the 1970s) we would go to Gorman on Easter vacation week. Remember loading my buddies 53...
Its not about the bike. In high school ( circa the 1970s) we would go to Gorman on Easter vacation week. Remember loading my buddies 53 chevy step side pick and and a trailer with a 75CR250, 75XL350, 71DT250 and a 73125 Pursang and a some coolers, sleeping bags, case of beer, guns, etc. I rode my XT500.

That 53 chevy took a long time to get up Interstate 5 to Gorman. Back then you could camp pretty much wherever you wanted and have an open fire if you were not being stupid about it. Not sure if it was OK to shoot the guns there but no one ever said anything. Rode all day, shoot guns at targets on the hill across from the camp in the evening. Camp fire hot dogs and beer. Great times.

Nobody had more fun and rode there bike harder and longer than my friend Don on his beat to shit 71 DT250 Yamaha.
I had to run up to the bike shop in Fraizer park a couple times to get cables for both the DT250 and the Bultaco to keep them running for the week. Fixing the bikes with whatever parts, money, and tools we had was part of the adventure. Man lots of stories and adventures from those trips.
This is so great. Simpler times.
DL
10/21/2016 2:57pm
Certainly brings me back to a simpler and fun time.
newmann
10/21/2016 3:10pm
Fun? Dirt bikes are supposed to be fun?I think some here are a little late to the party...lol. Some wound tight mofos here on the Vital.Laughing

I sold Meatball a PVL ignition for one of those MR175's in that first post I bet!

https://youtu.be/eS4sRmkw2p8
Zaugg
10/21/2016 3:42pm
It feels raw like skateboarding. I know GT and P-Lo come from a skate/ surf background, as does the whole vibe of Von Zipper. They really nailed it. Riding for the pure fun of it. Pretty F#$% cool.

gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2364th
10/21/2016 3:50pm
Cool video! Brings back memories of goofing off in the fields in the 70s and 80s. Cool
10/21/2016 4:21pm
I love it! And the music was so damn refreshing as opposed to the rap that's in every freakin edit I see anymore.
jeffro503
10/21/2016 4:27pm
I thought it was kind of a cool video myself. Seems like they were all having a blast and having some good old fashion fun. Nothing wrong with that at all.

On the hipster thing....I don't really see that in that video. I should know , I live in the hipster central of the fucking universe....St John's Oregon! Good lord!
10/21/2016 4:34pm
jeffro503 wrote:
I thought it was kind of a cool video myself. Seems like they were all having a blast and having some good old fashion fun. Nothing...
I thought it was kind of a cool video myself. Seems like they were all having a blast and having some good old fashion fun. Nothing wrong with that at all.

On the hipster thing....I don't really see that in that video. I should know , I live in the hipster central of the fucking universe....St John's Oregon! Good lord!
Ever been into See-See's? I want to start throwing haymakers as soon as I walk in the door haha.
Rexblaster
10/21/2016 4:40pm
jeffro503 wrote:
I thought it was kind of a cool video myself. Seems like they were all having a blast and having some good old fashion fun. Nothing...

Lol, try living in Austin Texas. It's crazy how one city can be so radically different from the rest of the state Blink

Post a reply to: Riding for the pure joy of it...regardless of the bike

The Latest