Riding area questions for NorCal bros

NorCal 50+
6/30/2017 11:52am
I am new to California and I brought along my 2004 RM250 (see bike rebuild forum). I want to do some light riding to get back into the swing of things since I now have a full hip prosthetic. So I don't really want to go rip an MX track my first time out after five years off (with an 85 rider jumping over my head on the first lap etc.).

I know the red sticker/green sticker rules but I see some NorCal public riding areas are year-round. I live in Grass Valley and want to ride Tahoe Forest. The ranger said you need red/green sticker but didn't know if I can ride Yuba River District trails year-round with red sticker, or I need a green sticker (ranger did not know). Here is the map of where I am talking about.

Anybody know my best options around here with a red sticker bike and spark arrestor? And where are there some good medium-challenging hare scramble races? I know I can ride Prairie City, but only in red sticker months.
And if any friendly NorCal bros want to show a new transplant some good trails, please let me know!

|
sparker245
6/30/2017 1:14pm
Don't know much about the off road options around your area, but if you want a fun little track to get the rust off I'd suggest the back track at E-Street MX in Marysville. The front track is deep sand and can get pretty rough, but he back track has been updated recently and it's FUN. Nothing challenging, but fun and great for a little practice. Not crowded either. Your RM250 would be a blast.
Ted722
6/30/2017 1:28pm Edited Date/Time 6/30/2017 1:31pm
There's plenty of places around here to get back into it. Argyll Park in Dixon's pretty mello for moto.

There's a lot of options off-road. Forresthill's nice and Elkin's flat. Many more too that are red-sticker year round. http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/california_list.htm

Elkins Flat
http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/california_12313/ride_13…

Foresthill
http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/california_07571/ride_0f…
Wade221
6/30/2017 1:29pm
The river bottoms near my house, off the feather river, have trails, small jumps and some booters built. Dont really need a sticker. Most people just ride their bike on Bogue Road to them
JohnMatrix
6/30/2017 1:33pm
The whole green sticker/red sticker season thing sucks to be honest. I'm down in San Jose so I can't really give you suggestions on where to ride during green sticker only season in Sac. However, most of the private tracks do break up practice sessions by skill. Typically they do 20 minute sessions for each Mini, Intermediate, and Novice/Vet. I've heard that Argyll mx is a pretty wide and safe track. I've ridden Diablo mx recently and it's also a big track. If you were to just putt around the track you'd be fine. You don't have to worry to much about being crowded by riders or in an unsafe situation. I think Garahan offroad is doing an instructional day at Prairie city soon and in that case red sticker bikes MIGHT be allowed. Garahan does some red sticker bike days at Metcalf here in San Jose through the summer, but it's limited to the MX track, which is small and crowded. Club moto in Livermore is another one that does a good job of breaking up sessions by class and has good dirt, but check out some youtube videos to see if you'd be comfortable with the track.

The Shop

NorCal 50+
6/30/2017 1:43pm
sparker245 wrote:
Don't know much about the off road options around your area, but if you want a fun little track to get the rust off I'd suggest...
Don't know much about the off road options around your area, but if you want a fun little track to get the rust off I'd suggest the back track at E-Street MX in Marysville. The front track is deep sand and can get pretty rough, but he back track has been updated recently and it's FUN. Nothing challenging, but fun and great for a little practice. Not crowded either. Your RM250 would be a blast.
I did drive over and check out Marysville MX- great looking track. (After I got over the shock of a town that has several tracks in the city limits and declared itself Motocross City USA) The back track sound good for me. I do like turning laps rather than just aimlessly riding around. Thanks...
NorCal 50+
6/30/2017 1:45pm
Wade221 wrote:
The river bottoms near my house, off the feather river, have trails, small jumps and some booters built. Dont really need a sticker. Most people just...
The river bottoms near my house, off the feather river, have trails, small jumps and some booters built. Dont really need a sticker. Most people just ride their bike on Bogue Road to them
Hmmm...I will look around. I notice there is some informal riding around here. The other day a dude came blasting by my house on a KTM- no helmet or gear! Shocked
KMC440
6/30/2017 1:52pm Edited Date/Time 6/30/2017 1:53pm
Is the Georgetown riding area still open? On my XL we rode from my old place in Auburn up through the riding area then on up to Loon Lake on the logging roads ... then over to hwy50 and dropped down into Tahoe, went up the west side of the lake and got home bout 9 that night.
Awesome day period.
6/30/2017 1:54pm Edited Date/Time 6/30/2017 1:54pm
KMC440 wrote:
Is the Georgetown riding area still open? On my XL we rode from my old place in Auburn up through the riding area then on up...
Is the Georgetown riding area still open? On my XL we rode from my old place in Auburn up through the riding area then on up to Loon Lake on the logging roads ... then over to hwy50 and dropped down into Tahoe, went up the west side of the lake and got home bout 9 that night.
Awesome day period.
Georgetown is still open, as is the ride you took.
IceMan446
6/30/2017 1:59pm
Honestly man the restricted days are so few and far between I don't see anyone having issues and they are mainly during the week. Prairie City has a website you can look at to see when the restriction is in place.

Prairie City has a vet track thats pretty cool just to cruise some laps on and get back to riding. Smaller track and smaller jumps so you don't have to worry about getting landed on.

Also, E-Street in marysville has a vet track out back that has the practices broken up on between the Mini kids. So thats an option. Next door to that track is MMX and they have a mellow sand track thats cool. No big jumps either so thats a plus.
NorCal 50+
6/30/2017 2:13pm
It's based on county. Both your area and the Yuba River trails you are looking at are year round.

Here is the listings:
http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1234/files/2007%20carb%20revised%20riding…
That's the list I have been seeking- thanks. Sweet!

What is confusing is that list doesn't include Yuba River district under Tahoe Forest. Page 1 of the Yuba River District map shows some seasonal restrictions (top right), but mainly Jan.-Mar.: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3800935.pdf

So I guess I am good on those Yuba River district trails with red sticker pretty much year-round. Which is freaking awesome.

6/30/2017 2:19pm Edited Date/Time 6/30/2017 2:23pm
It's based on county. Both your area and the Yuba River trails you are looking at are year round.

Here is the listings:
http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1234/files/2007%20carb%20revised%20riding…
NorCal 50+ wrote:
That's the list I have been seeking- thanks. Sweet! What is confusing is that list doesn't include Yuba River district under Tahoe Forest. Page 1 of...
That's the list I have been seeking- thanks. Sweet!

What is confusing is that list doesn't include Yuba River district under Tahoe Forest. Page 1 of the Yuba River District map shows some seasonal restrictions (top right), but mainly Jan.-Mar.: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3800935.pdf

So I guess I am good on those Yuba River district trails with red sticker pretty much year-round. Which is freaking awesome.

Those are winter restrictions are for uncleared snow/erosion, not red/green sticker.
b8res
6/30/2017 3:16pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
I am new to California and I brought along my 2004 RM250 (see bike rebuild forum). I want to do some light riding to get back...
I am new to California and I brought along my 2004 RM250 (see bike rebuild forum). I want to do some light riding to get back into the swing of things since I now have a full hip prosthetic. So I don't really want to go rip an MX track my first time out after five years off (with an 85 rider jumping over my head on the first lap etc.).

I know the red sticker/green sticker rules but I see some NorCal public riding areas are year-round. I live in Grass Valley and want to ride Tahoe Forest. The ranger said you need red/green sticker but didn't know if I can ride Yuba River District trails year-round with red sticker, or I need a green sticker (ranger did not know). Here is the map of where I am talking about.

Anybody know my best options around here with a red sticker bike and spark arrestor? And where are there some good medium-challenging hare scramble races? I know I can ride Prairie City, but only in red sticker months.
And if any friendly NorCal bros want to show a new transplant some good trails, please let me know!

It's red sticker season for places state and local riding area...except the tracks in Marysville, Dixon, Club Moto and PCMX. The PC State Park is closed to red sticker bike until the fall. Then it will open back up.

MMX sand track is pretty good right now, nothing but table top type jumps..we raced their last weekend and it was really good. Now that Riverfront is opening this weekend, that should relieve some pressure off of PCMX, E Street and MMX. Looks like Zeb has stepped up Riverfront so all the heavy hitter will be out there....just my opinion.

If you live in GrassValley then your and you want to ride NF land, head up on 49 then jump on SR20....there is a really nice riding area in the NF that is Tahoe Forest called Burlington Ridge, it's off 20 just outside of Nevada City.....But don't tell anyone about it! Ha! It's a very well maintain area, but trail maps are kind of confusing but there are some nice loops. The Nevada County Woods Riders support that riding area.

The area you outline is a red / green sticker area, primary Downieville area...it is open area. Haven't been up that way in years....so can't really remember much about it...other than it's rockier that shit up there.

Your best bet is Georgetown or Elkin's Flat....be prepared for dusty trails. The other option is come out and get in some practice with the OTHG or Sierra Old Timers, then you really don't have to worry about some kid on an 85 jumping over you...

Good Luck! Hope this helps.

NorCal 50+
6/30/2017 3:27pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
I am new to California and I brought along my 2004 RM250 (see bike rebuild forum). I want to do some light riding to get back...

b8res wrote:
It's red sticker season for places state and local riding area...except the tracks in Marysville, Dixon, Club Moto and PCMX. The PC State Park is closed...
It's red sticker season for places state and local riding area...except the tracks in Marysville, Dixon, Club Moto and PCMX. The PC State Park is closed to red sticker bike until the fall. Then it will open back up.

MMX sand track is pretty good right now, nothing but table top type jumps..we raced their last weekend and it was really good. Now that Riverfront is opening this weekend, that should relieve some pressure off of PCMX, E Street and MMX. Looks like Zeb has stepped up Riverfront so all the heavy hitter will be out there....just my opinion.

If you live in GrassValley then your and you want to ride NF land, head up on 49 then jump on SR20....there is a really nice riding area in the NF that is Tahoe Forest called Burlington Ridge, it's off 20 just outside of Nevada City.....But don't tell anyone about it! Ha! It's a very well maintain area, but trail maps are kind of confusing but there are some nice loops. The Nevada County Woods Riders support that riding area.

The area you outline is a red / green sticker area, primary Downieville area...it is open area. Haven't been up that way in years....so can't really remember much about it...other than it's rockier that shit up there.

Your best bet is Georgetown or Elkin's Flat....be prepared for dusty trails. The other option is come out and get in some practice with the OTHG or Sierra Old Timers, then you really don't have to worry about some kid on an 85 jumping over you...

Awesome info-- thanks. I hope to mix up some trail riding and MX. Should be a blast!
6/30/2017 5:25pm Edited Date/Time 6/30/2017 5:30pm
Most of the BLM and National Forest riding areas in NorCal are open to red stickers year round per the link another member already shared. Some in the Sierras are closed due to snow in the winter though. The State Vehicle Recreation Areas (SVRA), a few Ntl Forest/BLM areas, Socal, the desert and areas near metropolitan centers or places with air quality issues are where you will see restrictions during the summer/early fall. Those places are generally too hot much of that time to ride anyways. In NorCal we have far more non restricted areas to ride than folks in the Valley or SoCal in general.

Your closest real trail riding is Forest Hill and Georgetown. Head towards Downieville and Tahoe for more. Downieville has some real challenging and fun single track. In the Mendocino Ntl Forest you have Stonyford (Grindstone district) as well as Penny Pines/Middle Creek and BLM land Cow Mtn in Lake county a couple hours away also have fantastic single track trail riding and are very large areas. Worth a weekend trip to ride.

Check out the Thumpertalk regional section and Bayarearidersforum.com (Barf) in the dirty section if you are looking for folks to meet and trail ride with. We will have a group camping at Penny Pines wknd of Aug 11 and a very large group with a wide range of abilities at Stonyford the wknd of Sept 28th. Or grab a plated bike and join us in Baja this January.

D36 has a number of Harescrambles this fall, or try an enduro. Hollister Hills Offroad Riding Association (HHORA) also puts on 2-3 harescrambes a year that I usually attend. Low key and fun races.

Welcome to NorCal and enjoy!
NorCal 50+
6/30/2017 7:57pm
Ted722 wrote:
There's plenty of places around here to get back into it. Argyll Park in Dixon's pretty mello for moto. There's a lot of options off-road. Forresthill's...
There's plenty of places around here to get back into it. Argyll Park in Dixon's pretty mello for moto.

There's a lot of options off-road. Forresthill's nice and Elkin's flat. Many more too that are red-sticker year round. http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/california_list.htm

Elkins Flat
http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/california_12313/ride_13…

Foresthill
http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/california_07571/ride_0f…
Foresthill looks really cool...but once I see it on camera, the RM250 seems like it might be a bit much for those tight trails. I could put a flyweight on it and the famous teeth on the rear sprocket. Maybe restore an old KDX200 Woohoo

6/30/2017 8:03pm Edited Date/Time 6/30/2017 8:10pm
We used to ride trails passed Nevada City on 20 off Washington Road.

Check out blancolirio on youtube. He post all kinds of videos from up near you.
rancor19
6/30/2017 8:22pm
Just don't run the sticker and flip off any fun cops you might see(and try to be faster than them). Maybe kick their tail lights out if you get a chance(and definitely be faster than them).

It works for the people that don't work for a living...
Ted722
6/30/2017 9:39pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
Foresthill looks really cool...but once I see it on camera, the RM250 seems like it might be a bit much for those tight trails. I could...
Foresthill looks really cool...but once I see it on camera, the RM250 seems like it might be a bit much for those tight trails. I could put a flyweight on it and the famous teeth on the rear sprocket. Maybe restore an old KDX200 Woohoo

No worries. I've had my CR500 and YZ125 there and they're both a blast. Haven't had my RM250 out there, but it would work great too.
oldblood
6/30/2017 10:33pm
Estreet mx has a back track that's perfect for you. Also MMX attracts a wide range of riders, and Argyll mx.
Bruce372
7/1/2017 12:06am
Headed to Argyll hopefully tomorrow. Or maybe club moto Livermore
Lightning78
7/1/2017 2:32am
NorCal 50+ wrote:

b8res wrote:
It's red sticker season for places state and local riding area...except the tracks in Marysville, Dixon, Club Moto and PCMX. The PC State Park is closed...

NorCal 50+ wrote:
Awesome info-- thanks. I hope to mix up some trail riding and MX. Should be a blast!
Seriously im so surprised nobody has mentioned Carnegie SVRA in Tracy/Livermore, it is a Green/Red sticker riding area but IMO as with almost all NorCal riding areas, by the time you're into the Red Sticker "Season" the weather sucks (too goddam hot) and dry. During this time I was always happier to be riding strictly moto.
Carnegie SVRA in my esteemed opinion is absolutely the best do it all place ive ever ridden, Depending on your MX standards they have a decent dedicated MX track and the trail riding throughout the park is phenomenal!!!! It ranges from basic fire roads to quadruple black diamond stuff and has the highest. Concentration of gnarly hillclimbs (per capita) office officers place I've ever ridden otherwise, it has no equal.
I.grew up riding there every weekend when riding was in season. From the time I was 5 years old in 1986 up till I turned 21 and moved to Socal for school in 2001. I go back and try to ride it once a year during the holidays and reminding my old riding buddies who's still the king of those hills LOL. By the time I was 15 I had claimed every hillclimb that exists in that place and have the fondest memories of riding with my dad there.
Another place worth mentioning is Schaads (Lake) aka Wylseyville up by Mokulme Hill.
NorCal 50+
7/1/2017 3:06pm
Thanks to everyone for all the info. I think I can just bookmark this thread and plan the rest of my year!
I've been dreaming of riding in Cali for a good chunk of my life, so I am looking forward to doing some roostin'.
Bruce372
7/1/2017 6:21pm
Carnegie is awesome but i didn't mention it given it's red sticker season and we can't rise there

Post a reply to: Riding area questions for NorCal bros

The Latest