Riding after triple bypass

1934ca
Edited Date/Time 5/12/2022 3:49pm
I had a triple bypass two weeks ago and know I need to stay off the bike for awhile. Of course the doctor, and wife, say not to think about it until spring. Live in Ohio so it’s not that unreasonable but the bike is calling to me. I’m thinking if 8 weeks after surgery heals enough to go to work and drive I should be able to ride around the yard then. Anybody else go through this?
|
zehn
9/29/2020 5:25pm
The scary part is I think you're being serious
TeamGreen
9/29/2020 5:28pm
1934ca wrote:
I had a triple bypass two weeks ago and know I need to stay off the bike for awhile. Of course the doctor, and wife, say...
I had a triple bypass two weeks ago and know I need to stay off the bike for awhile. Of course the doctor, and wife, say not to think about it until spring. Live in Ohio so it’s not that unreasonable but the bike is calling to me. I’m thinking if 8 weeks after surgery heals enough to go to work and drive I should be able to ride around the yard then. Anybody else go through this?
Even-tho the "Riding in the Yard" (posted above) thing is funny...it's also kinda true if ya don't "do it right".

I'd do all the rehab and conditoning as good as is humanly possible and then...ask if it's time to go ride, I'm guessing that if you're doing really, really good by then...? Well, I can't see them stopping you.

However, aren't you baring down on winter? So, if ya do it right...maybe ya fly down to FL and get to ride sooner than you think.

Good luck.

Dr Wario
9/29/2020 5:46pm
Ask your cardiologist and let us know what he says. Exercise is good for you, crashing is bad.

The Shop

Camp332
9/29/2020 5:48pm
Bro, you don't want to knock your aorta into orbit Bro. Chill for the winter, and ride in the spring.
9/29/2020 7:21pm
Get your fitness in to shape. I would think if you rode before your heart should be strong. I had two stents put in in March of 2018 and won my 50+ class a month later. Not the same I know but don't give up!
jwall981
9/29/2020 7:54pm
I’ve had multiple open heart surgeries, I now have a mechanical mitral valve with a pace maker/icd and I ride. Only thing I truly worry about is blood thinners and bruising/internal bleeding so wear quality safety gear and ride within my limits. Life’s too short to not do what makes you happy go tear it up and enjoy life
captmoto
9/29/2020 11:03pm
I say take the fall and winter to get in the best shape of your life. Then that will not be a reason anyone can throw at you. And for the record, doctors are almost always against riding dirt bikes.
Deja New
9/30/2020 2:27am
Mate if you bypass a triple on the track you’ll get black flagged..... life is the same don’t push your luck for 5 minutes of fun! Stay safe get healthy and look at spring for what it is..... a new start Smile
MotoMatt_928
9/30/2020 6:29am
I have had three open heart surgeries myself. I have an aftermarket aortic valve and a grafted aorta. I waited 8 weeks to get back out on a motocross track, and probably another 2-3 weeks to turn the speed back up to where I was before. (Vet B/C rider)

Depending on your other health conditions that could be hindering you, and if you are on blood thinners or not, I would error on the side of caution for the first 12 weeks or so.
VetMX.com
9/30/2020 1:16pm
Be careful man. I would do a treadmill and some other low impact cardio for a few months. Let it mend. Your bike will be there in the Spring.
socalmx716
5/11/2022 12:20pm
Anyone ever heard of someone riding moto after a heart transplant? I had mine in November, just had my six month biopsy and so far so good. Of course my transplant team of doctors will have the final say but I’m wondering if anyone here knows of anybody that’s done it.
socalmx716
5/11/2022 12:32pm
Magoofan wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/05/11/549427/s1200_webmd_logo.jpg[/img]

Haha To be fair I’m not asking for any medical advice I’m just looking for someone whose done it.
hogkiller
5/11/2022 3:13pm
1934ca wrote:
I had a triple bypass two weeks ago and know I need to stay off the bike for awhile. Of course the doctor, and wife, say...
Double bypass last March tried riding track in july 2021 it did not work well, still had brain fog from operation and my timing was way off, had big get off and my hart rate hit 170 trying to pick up my bike in the sand. rode in october was way better still got out of breath and timing still off. I do lawn care and started working in May 2021 work went ok had to start slow... I am 66 years old
Mr. Info
5/11/2022 3:25pm
Have a friend racing MX and having fun and another who races 45 minute GP’s and Enduros with no problem.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
5/12/2022 12:09pm Edited Date/Time 5/12/2022 12:11pm
socalmx716 wrote:
Anyone ever heard of someone riding moto after a heart transplant? I had mine in November, just had my six month biopsy and so far so...
Anyone ever heard of someone riding moto after a heart transplant? I had mine in November, just had my six month biopsy and so far so good. Of course my transplant team of doctors will have the final say but I’m wondering if anyone here knows of anybody that’s done it.
22+ years post heat transplant (my fresh top end).

I found even semi-aggressive track riding to be too intense, especially if I did not warm up, because the heart cannot keep up. The new heart is denervated and your brain cannot tell it to beat faster to provide more oxygen, and it is easy to go anerobic, and then you're gassed.

What I could do was, say, 70% max trail/off road stuff, including two three-day 250 mile trips off road from Reno to Vegas (one of which is reported in the hall of fame). So I was able to ride probably another 10 years enjoyably without worrying too much if I was slowing the group down or going to have an incident out on the trails. At some point a few years ago it became apparent that it wasn't working as well, and in fact I have bailed on trying shoot the Outdoors any longer because 4-6 six miles of trucking camera gear on a hot day took a physical toll and required about a week of recovery. Being almost 64 now probably does not help. I tinker with some old bikes and continue to love the sport.

Find your comfort level. Five or so minutes of warm up will get your heart rate up slowly as it responds to chemical signals and make it easier to get to pace. Also, your max heart rate likely will be reduced. It's just harder to get to that intense effort level. Less sprint, more marathon.

I would say that your transplant team's advice likely concerns blood thinners, which are common pre-transplant. If you are continuing on Coumadin or another thinner stronger than aspirin you'd want to think this through. It is not uncommon for people on blood thinner to have fatal brain bleeds with relatively "normal" knock to the head. Apart from the bias a lot of people in the med community have, especially in transplant ("you want to ride a donorcycle?"), I think the issue comes down to what you want to do.

This was a recent article I drilled down to awhile ago about training for additional capacity. There's a fair amount of literature.
https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.119.039845
KONG
5/12/2022 2:11pm
I had my aortic valve replaced a year ago.
I started very soft and short outdoor cycling on the road after a month and was back on a motorbike for very cool trail riding something like three months later...
Probably could have sped up the process, but I thought that as long as the freshly sawed sternum hurt like hell whenever I sneezed, it was a bit early to go riding offroad...
Laughing

Take your time.
Between the medical advice and your own feeling, you'll know when the time is right.
Jon_Haynes
Fantasy
1195th
5/12/2022 2:23pm
I had a quad on March 28. The Dr said I could race in July. He claims the chest bone needs almost 12weeks to get really solid. I am doing the PT now and can feel the muscles protest if I do too much. I will be back on a bike soon but not to soon. good luck.
socalmx716
5/12/2022 2:32pm
socalmx716 wrote:
Anyone ever heard of someone riding moto after a heart transplant? I had mine in November, just had my six month biopsy and so far so...
22+ years post heat transplant (my fresh top end). I found even semi-aggressive track riding to be too intense, especially if I did not warm up...
22+ years post heat transplant (my fresh top end).

I found even semi-aggressive track riding to be too intense, especially if I did not warm up, because the heart cannot keep up. The new heart is denervated and your brain cannot tell it to beat faster to provide more oxygen, and it is easy to go anerobic, and then you're gassed.

What I could do was, say, 70% max trail/off road stuff, including two three-day 250 mile trips off road from Reno to Vegas (one of which is reported in the hall of fame). So I was able to ride probably another 10 years enjoyably without worrying too much if I was slowing the group down or going to have an incident out on the trails. At some point a few years ago it became apparent that it wasn't working as well, and in fact I have bailed on trying shoot the Outdoors any longer because 4-6 six miles of trucking camera gear on a hot day took a physical toll and required about a week of recovery. Being almost 64 now probably does not help. I tinker with some old bikes and continue to love the sport.

Find your comfort level. Five or so minutes of warm up will get your heart rate up slowly as it responds to chemical signals and make it easier to get to pace. Also, your max heart rate likely will be reduced. It's just harder to get to that intense effort level. Less sprint, more marathon.

I would say that your transplant team's advice likely concerns blood thinners, which are common pre-transplant. If you are continuing on Coumadin or another thinner stronger than aspirin you'd want to think this through. It is not uncommon for people on blood thinner to have fatal brain bleeds with relatively "normal" knock to the head. Apart from the bias a lot of people in the med community have, especially in transplant ("you want to ride a donorcycle?"), I think the issue comes down to what you want to do.

This was a recent article I drilled down to awhile ago about training for additional capacity. There's a fair amount of literature.
https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.119.039845
Thank you sir. I knew I remembered someone had one. I am no longer on blood thinners, I was on and off blood thinners since 2005 so I would ride/race when I was allowed off them and then take a hiatus when I was on them. In talking to the head of my team Dr. Joh Kabashigawa he said there is a chance that the nerve repairs itself but we won't know until about a year out because of how slowly nerves heal. Anyhow I'm able to get my heart rate up pretty high on rowing machines and ellipticals. Walking/running it is slower to react. I haven't been on the bike since about 2018 since I had my first pacemaker put in and had to go back on blood thinners. I have a few friends with bikes and gear that I can ask to let me give it a whirl and see how I feel. Great to hear you're 22 years out, my mom is about 14 years out and she is doing well.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
5/12/2022 3:49pm Edited Date/Time 5/12/2022 4:09pm
KONG wrote:
I had my aortic valve replaced a year ago. I started very soft and short outdoor cycling on the road after a month and was back...
I had my aortic valve replaced a year ago.
I started very soft and short outdoor cycling on the road after a month and was back on a motorbike for very cool trail riding something like three months later...
Probably could have sped up the process, but I thought that as long as the freshly sawed sternum hurt like hell whenever I sneezed, it was a bit early to go riding offroad...
Laughing

Take your time.
Between the medical advice and your own feeling, you'll know when the time is right.
On my chest x rays you can see the series of safety wire knots that they use to bind the sternum, it looks like lacing a shoe, and over the years I’ve broken two of the wire sets.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
5/12/2022 4:00pm Edited Date/Time 5/12/2022 4:09pm
socalmx716 wrote:
Thank you sir. I knew I remembered someone had one. I am no longer on blood thinners, I was on and off blood thinners since 2005...
Thank you sir. I knew I remembered someone had one. I am no longer on blood thinners, I was on and off blood thinners since 2005 so I would ride/race when I was allowed off them and then take a hiatus when I was on them. In talking to the head of my team Dr. Joh Kabashigawa he said there is a chance that the nerve repairs itself but we won't know until about a year out because of how slowly nerves heal. Anyhow I'm able to get my heart rate up pretty high on rowing machines and ellipticals. Walking/running it is slower to react. I haven't been on the bike since about 2018 since I had my first pacemaker put in and had to go back on blood thinners. I have a few friends with bikes and gear that I can ask to let me give it a whirl and see how I feel. Great to hear you're 22 years out, my mom is about 14 years out and she is doing well.
Treat yourself well. 14 years for your mom is great. It sounds like your process is dong well, so getting out of that first year is a real boost. I think the 50% mortality rate at 10 years skews because of folks who lose their battle early.

Part of getting second chance to live is actually living; with balance, and smart, not sucking your thumb and withdrawing. Be careful with covid, post transplant folks ate a specially vulnerable and not all of the therapies are available because of transplant meds. Going through that now.

Those little tugs inside your heart when they do biopsies is pretty trippy, huh? They stopped doing them for me a few years ago.

Post a reply to: Riding after triple bypass

The Latest