Riding after triple bypass

Related:
Create New Tag

9/29/2020 4:57 PM

I had a triple bypass two weeks ago and know I need to stay off the bike for awhile. Of course the doctor, and wife, say not to think about it until spring. Live in Ohio so it’s not that unreasonable but the bike is calling to me. I’m thinking if 8 weeks after surgery heals enough to go to work and drive I should be able to ride around the yard then. Anybody else go through this?

|

9/29/2020 5:13 PM

Photo
|

9/29/2020 5:25 PM

The scary part is I think you're being serious

|

9/29/2020 5:28 PM

1934ca wrote:

I had a triple bypass two weeks ago and know I need to stay off the bike for awhile. Of course the doctor, and wife, say not to think about it until spring. Live in Ohio so it’s not that unreasonable but the bike is calling to me. I’m thinking if 8 weeks after surgery heals enough to go to work and drive I should be able to ride around the yard then. Anybody else go through this?

Even-tho the "Riding in the Yard" (posted above) thing is funny...it's also kinda true if ya don't "do it right".

I'd do all the rehab and conditoning as good as is humanly possible and then...ask if it's time to go ride, I'm guessing that if you're doing really, really good by then...? Well, I can't see them stopping you.

However, aren't you baring down on winter? So, if ya do it right...maybe ya fly down to FL and get to ride sooner than you think.

Good luck.

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

9/29/2020 5:46 PM

Ask your cardiologist and let us know what he says. Exercise is good for you, crashing is bad.

|

9/29/2020 5:48 PM

Bro, you don't want to knock your aorta into orbit Bro. Chill for the winter, and ride in the spring.

|

United States of America

9/29/2020 7:21 PM

Get your fitness in to shape. I would think if you rode before your heart should be strong. I had two stents put in in March of 2018 and won my 50+ class a month later. Not the same I know but don't give up!

|

9/29/2020 7:54 PM

I’ve had multiple open heart surgeries, I now have a mechanical mitral valve with a pace maker/icd and I ride. Only thing I truly worry about is blood thinners and bruising/internal bleeding so wear quality safety gear and ride within my limits. Life’s too short to not do what makes you happy go tear it up and enjoy life

|

9/29/2020 11:03 PM

I say take the fall and winter to get in the best shape of your life. Then that will not be a reason anyone can throw at you. And for the record, doctors are almost always against riding dirt bikes.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

9/30/2020 2:27 AM

Mate if you bypass a triple on the track you’ll get black flagged..... life is the same don’t push your luck for 5 minutes of fun! Stay safe get healthy and look at spring for what it is..... a new start smile

|

9/30/2020 6:29 AM

I have had three open heart surgeries myself. I have an aftermarket aortic valve and a grafted aorta. I waited 8 weeks to get back out on a motocross track, and probably another 2-3 weeks to turn the speed back up to where I was before. (Vet B/C rider)

Depending on your other health conditions that could be hindering you, and if you are on blood thinners or not, I would error on the side of caution for the first 12 weeks or so.

|

9/30/2020 1:16 PM

Be careful man. I would do a treadmill and some other low impact cardio for a few months. Let it mend. Your bike will be there in the Spring.

|