Riding after stitches?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/6/2018 3:33 PM

Was practicing today and overshot a jump. I'm at the hospital now about to get stitches on my chin. They say I'll probably get 8-10 stitches. That's all I know. I have a race Sunday and I'm wondering if I'll be good to ride as long as I'm careful. It's about a 3 inch cut on the bottom of my chin.

|

9/6/2018 3:43 PM

Photo
Photo
I was riding and laying bricks a few days later, you'll be fine
|

9/6/2018 3:44 PM

Id imagine it would be a problem if its near your helmet strap, stitches and rubbing don’t exactly mix

|

9/6/2018 3:44 PM

Kx125rider wrote:

Id imagine it would be a problem if its near your helmet strap, stitches and rubbing don’t exactly mix

It's not near the strap it's right on my chin

|

9/6/2018 3:46 PM

Photo
|

9/6/2018 3:46 PM

Stitches in you chin shouldn’t slow you down,
What does your GF say about racing this weekend?
wink

|

9/6/2018 3:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/6/2018 3:50 PM

Recon that’ll hurt when you put your helmet on .....get some ice in that for the next 24
....and ask the doc if it’s a career ending injury. Lol

|

9/6/2018 3:50 PM

ss-racing wrote:

Recon that’ll hurt when you put your helmet on .....get some ice in that for the next 24
....and ask the doc if it’s a career ...more

As long as it's not gonna rip open after 3 days I won't mind lmao

|

9/6/2018 4:06 PM

If you're not racing Pro with money on the line why not just take a week off? Not the end of the world if you miss one race is it? Plenty of time to race on other weekends.

By all means race if you want. I personally don't see the rush.

Besides if it opens up again you'll just be right back where you are now on top of losing your gate/entree fees.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

9/6/2018 4:08 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

If you're not racing Pro with money on the line why not just take a week off? Not the end of the world if you miss one race is ...more

I work out of town for 3 weeks I'm home one week a month. So pretty much if I skip out I'm out 4 weeks

|

9/6/2018 4:24 PM

Duct tape the shit out of it and you'll be good......make sure to put something over the actual stitches first though so it doesn't stick to them.

|

9/6/2018 4:30 PM

Nope.....take the weekend off

|

9/6/2018 4:32 PM

I'm no doctor, but I'd say let that shiz heal up for a while. 4 weeks is not the end of the world.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

9/6/2018 4:36 PM

That will be trouble if you go riding. I got the same scar from crashing a BMX bike years ago. Took a good week or more to not be sore.

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

9/6/2018 4:39 PM

As my old Grandpa used to say, "I had a worse place than that on my lip and kept right on whistling". Put a bandage over the stitches and go rip it.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

9/6/2018 4:42 PM

scottydogmx wrote: Photo
Photo
I was riding and laying bricks a few days later, you'll be fine

Damn man...don't stick your finger in holes with teeth.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

9/6/2018 4:42 PM

Tape it up, crack a beer or two....carry on....

|

9/6/2018 4:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/6/2018 4:47 PM

BlairYZ250 wrote:

Was practicing today and overshot a jump. I'm at the hospital now about to get stitches on my chin. They say I'll probably get ...more

Fuck yeah! You're good to go even if you're NOT careful! It's whatever your pain tolerance will allow....don't listen to the sissy's above....

|

9/6/2018 5:10 PM

Motoxdoc wrote:

Fuck yeah! You're good to go even if you're NOT careful! It's whatever your pain tolerance will allow....don't listen to the ...more

Careful, we got a badass over here.

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

9/6/2018 5:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/6/2018 5:19 PM

I would put some steri-strips over the stitches for extra help to help prevent that thing from opening up under the strain of riding.

Photo

It looks like you punched a hole all the way through your chin. Make sure you have that thing plenty covered. You don't want dirt or anything else to get in there. An infection is definitely not worth a weekend of moto.

|

9/6/2018 5:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/6/2018 5:28 PM

Never understood why a guy wants to race injured when he isn't doing it for a living.

But hey, it'll look badass all swollen and infected.

|

9/6/2018 5:16 PM

I did the exact thing last week at the Baja Brawl. Mid race, couldn’t see and cased a jump. Rode it out and finished the moto but needed to be stitched up. Went Saturday night to the Reid-med and raced Sunday. Keep it dry and clean with a bandaid and you’ll be fine.

|

Washed up moto and enduro weekend warrior.

9/6/2018 5:20 PM

Take a moment is what I say. Enjoy watching the races for once

|

9/6/2018 5:35 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

If you're not racing Pro with money on the line why not just take a week off? Not the end of the world if you miss one race is ...more

Shit, I thought everyone on Vital was pro... Lol

|

It's better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

9/6/2018 5:43 PM

I've ridden with stitches before (footpeg to the ass cheek). I put gauze pad on top of the stitches, then took KT Tape (the really stretchy sticky kind) to keep tension off the wound.

They held up fine, but I wasn't really concerned with the aesthetics of the scar on my ass lol.
Photo

|

9/6/2018 6:32 PM

no, it will not "open up" and the stitches will not break, and it will not cause any long term problems, however, it may or may not weep a little blood under the strain. do not take aspirin unless your doctor tells you to because it thins the blood and prevents it from coagulating. if it doesn't coagulate, healing/knitting time of the cut will be greatly extended. if you want some type of pain pills you can take ibuprofin and you can double the dose on the bottle if necessary "with a doctors approval", so said one of the sports doctors some of us at kawasaki motors used including some of the factory riders.

|

9/6/2018 6:45 PM

Ask for a big fat mepilex bandage, but don't tell them it's so you can ride your dirt bike. You could put it over the stitches and ride. Slap a ton of Neosporin on it and do it. They're basically super fat band aids.

I am not responsible for the medical advice, because you are an adult.

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

9/6/2018 6:47 PM

Just be sure to not crash

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

9/6/2018 7:05 PM

Slap a maxi pad on it.

|

No brains, No headaches.

9/6/2018 7:29 PM

BlairYZ250 wrote:

Was practicing today and overshot a jump. I'm at the hospital now about to get stitches on my chin. They say I'll probably get ...more

Motoxdoc wrote:

Fuck yeah! You're good to go even if you're NOT careful! It's whatever your pain tolerance will allow....don't listen to the ...more

BobPA wrote:

Careful, we got a badass over here.

No need to be careful for me. I'm not a badass.....I'm just not a sissy.

@ Uptite ....any true mx enthusiast would understand "why a guy wants to race injured."......just sayin.

|