Riding after spine fusion?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/8/2017 5:22 AM

Hey guys, I fractured and compressed my L2 vertabrae 30% about 6 weeks ago. I had a spine fusion surgery done, in which L1 through L3 are fused and now limit my range of motion slightly.
My question is, has anyone had a similar surgery and was able to ride again? Photo

Photo

|

9/8/2017 5:30 AM

Yes. I had the exact same surgery and was riding within 6 months.

|

9/8/2017 5:34 AM

motoxxx599 wrote:

Yes. I had the exact same surgery and was riding within 6 months.

Really? Wow that is a relief to hear.. how's your pain doing?

|

9/8/2017 6:07 AM

Trey Camard, Cary Hart, Jimmy Albertson and prolly more guys than I can think of...be careful but enjoy and live life..good luck bud.

|

9/8/2017 8:06 AM

Did L-3 through Thoracic-12, came up short on a double and snapped my spine, had to get the hardware and fusion from your hip right? Took about a year to get back to work another year to ride, depends on how bad you broke it.

|

9/8/2017 8:17 AM

Wonder why the surgeon put the screw through the mid section break rather then put the two upper screws then the two lower screws then a cross-member between the two mid section? looks like that could heal together since it's in the middle of the Vertebral body.

Your break looks a lot less than mine was so i'm thinking less time to heal...Good luck buddy and most of all don't get hooked on those damn pain meds, it'll ruin your life.

Photo

|

9/8/2017 8:22 AM

I fractured my T4, T5 and T6 and had them fused together. After 4 months I was probably 80% recovered and after 6 months 100%. Granted I was in really good shape at the time so that helped out the recovery process big time. I still ride and don't have any issues.

|

9/8/2017 8:27 AM

Thanks guys, it's really a relief to hear this. I was also pretty confused as to why he put that small screw right down the middle.. I have a follow up with the surgeon at the end of the month, so I should be able to get some more info since my heads a lot clearer now then it was in the hospital when it was all happening.
I'm happy to say I haven't had any serious pain meds since a few days after surgery, just a couple Tylenol or Advil a day.

|

9/8/2017 8:34 AM

shaunbruce827 wrote:

Thanks guys, it's really a relief to hear this. I was also pretty confused as to why he put that small screw right down the middle.. I have a follow up with the surgeon at the end of the month, so I should be able to get some more info since my heads a lot clearer now then it was in the hospital when it was all happening.
I'm happy to say I haven't had any serious pain meds since a few days after surgery, just a couple Tylenol or Advil a day.

That's good news bud, so glad you didn't have any other significant issues, especially with the pain meds. I have an artificial disc at my L5/S1 and it's been extremely successful. The pain pills were much harder on me than any surgery I could have had. Best of luck my friend and be careful as you start to ride and gain your confidence back.

|

9/8/2017 9:00 AM

Bramlett321 wrote:

That's good news bud, so glad you didn't have any other significant issues, especially with the pain meds. I have an artificial disc at my L5/S1 and it's been extremely successful. The pain pills were much harder on me than any surgery I could have had. Best of luck my friend and be careful as you start to ride and gain your confidence back.

What brand of disk did they use at L5/S1 ?

|

"We don't rent pigs."

9/8/2017 9:37 AM

shaunbruce827 wrote:

Bramlett321 wrote:

JAFO92 wrote:

What brand of disk did they use at L5/S1 ?

Pro-Disc, there are newer versions which I believe are better than this now if I'm not mistaken.

|

9/8/2017 10:57 AM

Bramlett321 wrote:

Pro-Disc, there are newer versions which I believe are better than this now if I'm not mistaken.

Gotcha. My wife's L5/S1 is bad so looking into all the various choices. Thanks!

|

"We don't rent pigs."

9/8/2017 11:59 AM

Lets push for safer tracks to reduce stuff like this. Hope you'll be able to ride sometime in the future.

|

9/22/2017 7:13 PM

How did the "end of month" DR visit go?
Hoping your situation is going well?

Why did the Doc put the screw through the break or is that a bad image angle?

I know, a lot of questions but you'll have that with a dude that's been thru 28 broken bones (including Back as described above) and 4 surgeries

Hope all is well Buddy

|

9/22/2017 9:46 PM

I have my c5 thro c7 fused. Basically my doctor said don't ride but do what you want. The reason is now I have less movement in my spine and if I crash and land on it a certain I can be paralized again ( the fusion was from a mountain bike crash where I was paralyzed from the neck down for about 10 minutes after the crash). I do still have tingling from my elbows down that will never go away.

I would assume the same goes for you. Your risk increased serious injury has increased and you just have to decide what more important. Riding and having fun with a greater risk for serious injury or sitting at home watching TV. I chose riding and I also do crossfit 3 days a week to hopefully strengthen my body to support it in the event of a crash..

|

"Who cares about what other people think"