Riding Styles - Sexton vs. McElrath

TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
Edited Date/Time 6/18/2020 8:14pm
The difference tonight was all in the corners.

Coming out of the tight infield 180, notice Shane doing the standard seat-bounce while Chase manages to get on the pegs and somewhat absorb the jump to stay lower and carry more momentum.

Another view:

I didn't see anyone else do this all night but Chase was getting on the pegs right out of the tight left after the finish to put max weight on the rear wheel and drive straight out of the corner. Beautiful technique.

Last, check out this corner before the whoops. Shane does the typical pivot at the apex and rolls on the throttle as he comes through the apex. But notice Chase gets on the throttle as he's still entering the corner. In this photo, they're both getting on the throttle at the same exact time.

Love watching these two go at it. They put on a clinic tonight and both deserve respect for the way they've ridden this year.
|
aeffertz
6/17/2020 10:22pm
Chase reminds me of a faster Christian Craig. Just so smooth, hauls ass and makes it look effortless. It doesn’t look like he’s overriding the bike. I think he will transition into the 450s really well.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
6/17/2020 10:28pm
aeffertz wrote:
Chase reminds me of a faster Christian Craig. Just so smooth, hauls ass and makes it look effortless. It doesn’t look like he’s overriding the bike...
Chase reminds me of a faster Christian Craig. Just so smooth, hauls ass and makes it look effortless. It doesn’t look like he’s overriding the bike. I think he will transition into the 450s really well.
Agree, he'll transition well. He also reminds me of Dungey with his corner speed.
mxjon454
6/17/2020 11:11pm
aeffertz wrote:
Chase reminds me of a faster Christian Craig. Just so smooth, hauls ass and makes it look effortless. It doesn’t look like he’s overriding the bike...
TriRacer27 wrote:
Agree, he'll transition well. He also reminds me of Dungey with his corner speed.
That’s exactly what I was thinking too. And you don’t hear anything bad about the kid either. It just seems like he’s grinding away and really putting in the work to take that next step as a 450 guy. I think he’s going to be a title contender in the 450 class. Not immediately, but I think he’s really going to find his stride in his 2nd or 3rd full season on the 450 and he one of the top guys for years to come.

The Shop

motomike137
6/18/2020 4:51am
Both guys are going to be good on 450's I think. Chase looks like he just went to a new level of bike control and Shane seems like he is just a tick away.
Radfonz
6/18/2020 6:05am Edited Date/Time 6/18/2020 6:06am
Sexton is looking smooth and calculated.
McElrath is just doing what Jesus told him to do.
6/18/2020 6:52am
Radfonz wrote:
Sexton is looking smooth and calculated.
McElrath is just doing what Jesus told him to do.
If Jesus doesn't want you to win a championship after 8 years, maybe he has other plans for you, and you're just not listening.
Crush
6/18/2020 6:53am
Chase cleaned up his corners in the main... he was triple apexing them quite a lot in his heat.
Zycki11
6/18/2020 7:10am
If Jesus doesn't want you to win a championship after 8 years, maybe he has other plans for you, and you're just not listening.
Fail, I’m not even religious. But that was just poor taste and ignorant.
mhog
6/18/2020 7:26am
I don’t see the need to put down someone for their religious beliefs. Let’s be honest, other athletes use their platforms to speak about everything else (e.g. social injustice, politics, etc...). This is about the differences in their riding style and I agree Sexton has a smooth style vs the more aggressive style of McElrath. I think both will be good 450 riders.
IWreckALot
6/18/2020 7:40am
aeffertz wrote:
TriRacer27 wrote:
I've been thinking this a lot lately. Dungey had a somewhat similar 250 record as Sexton. Chase has bulked up a good bit over the last year similar to the way Dungey (and others have). I have high hopes for him on the 450. He appears to be making all of the right steps. The other side of the transition is staying healthy and go even faster than you do on the 250.
AH387
6/18/2020 7:45am
Both guys really leveled-up their pace this year. Chase seems to have a bit more aggression is his riding, without really looking like it. He is just very smooth. Shane actually surprised me this year too. Most of his wins, he was just flat out hauling. The previous mud race was a bit weird with the conditions, so I won't count that. But last night I was a bit disappointed, as I thought he would've been able to drop the hammer, after getting that start. But Sexton was on it and deserved the win.
Gworm
6/18/2020 7:46am Edited Date/Time 6/18/2020 7:48am
Zycki11 wrote:
Fail, I’m not even religious. But that was just poor taste and ignorant.
I get confused on the rules... religion is off limits unless you’re putting someone down for it? It seems awfully easy for these guys to do a “drive by”.
Moto520
6/18/2020 7:50am
Great observation Triracer!
420Racing
6/18/2020 8:27am
Chase kind of reminds me of David Bailey.
BobbyM
6/18/2020 8:28am
Chase Sexton along with maybe 2 or 3 others is/are the chosen one/ones.
JWACK
6/18/2020 8:40am
Chase is doing something a bit different on corner entry and without seeing it in person up close I can’t quite describe it.
But what I see is as he enters into corners standing up he leans in with his lower body first (hips/legs) before he tips in with his shoulders. When he gets it just right it looks like a slingshot.
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
6/18/2020 9:05am
Those two checked out but Mcelrath had no chance in the main. Sexton looked like he was running in the wrong class.
wb173
6/18/2020 9:30am
It's real easy to poke at religion when McElrath doesn't win. He's driven to win every day whether he does or doesn't win this championship. Both kids are great and look forward to the outcome.

Another question... where's the poke at Webb, another awesome racer who thanks the man above?

Flame on... it's social media...root of our world these days.
6/18/2020 9:36am
aeffertz wrote:
TriRacer27 wrote:
IWreckALot wrote:
I've been thinking this a lot lately. Dungey had a somewhat similar 250 record as Sexton. Chase has bulked up a good bit over the last...
I've been thinking this a lot lately. Dungey had a somewhat similar 250 record as Sexton. Chase has bulked up a good bit over the last year similar to the way Dungey (and others have). I have high hopes for him on the 450. He appears to be making all of the right steps. The other side of the transition is staying healthy and go even faster than you do on the 250.
I'm in on all the Dungey comparisons. He's like a Dungey clone imo
hyler199
6/18/2020 7:13pm
aeffertz wrote:
man was just thinking that the other day
Max D
6/18/2020 7:18pm
aeffertz wrote:
TriRacer27 wrote:
I feel like he rides just like his buddy AC9, just a bit smoother and less crashes!
Sully
6/18/2020 7:30pm
TriRacer27 wrote:
IWreckALot wrote:
I've been thinking this a lot lately. Dungey had a somewhat similar 250 record as Sexton. Chase has bulked up a good bit over the last...
I'm in on all the Dungey comparisons. He's like a Dungey clone imo
Exactly. Just like Dungey, Sexton's style is so smooth and his body position is so consistent that is just doesn't look like he's going as fast as he is. Especially when you compare him to guys with more aggressive styles who move around a lot on the bike. Barring injury, he should transition well to a 450, so I'm fully onboard the Sexton train.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
6/18/2020 8:14pm
Moto520 wrote:
Great observation Triracer!
Thanks! I love studying those sort of things. Watched the race 3 times already.
pkiczuk
6/19/2020 9:17am
You can definitely see JS7's coaching helping improve the kid's already talented riding abilities. Can't wait for Sunday, gonna be an exciting finale!

Post a reply to: Riding Styles - Sexton vs. McElrath

The Latest