Riding MX Solo?

yz25
Edited Date/Time 11/14/2017 7:44pm
Will be purchasing a bike (2018 Honda 450 or 2017.5 KTM 450 FE-long shot at finding one new/or low low hrs) in the next week or 2 max. Coming out of retirement from a 5-6yr break. Tried other hobbies but as you all know, nothing compares to riding a dirt bike! And the wife has found out, they are much more expensive hobbies than motocross. haha.

With that being said, ridding MX only, will be going to the track solo. What I have learned through the years, ridding buddies are a lot like workout partners..if they show, that's great, but not much on the reliability part.

Question. For the ones that do go to the track alone, what is the thing that you focus on? Of coarse that wouldn't be a good time to try out a new triple...

Family/kids/job..

Would like to hear some ideas.

Thanks.
|
Teej317
Fantasy
2060th
11/14/2017 9:28am
Same boat here. This past summer was my first time back after a 5 year break. Whenever I went to the track solo I would focus on just having fun and not trying to blitz everything. I would turn my attention mostly to the corner track and just work on that.
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
11/14/2017 9:33am
Whatever you do, don't practice nac nacs at the track alone like I did that one time when I was 15.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
11/14/2017 9:40am
Never went to the track alone. Always with someone no matter if they rode or not because you just never know. Things happen and they happen fast.

I don't think I would of had the same state of mind had I gone riding alone. I would of been too focus on trying to be safe and not get hurt. Not that I didn't think about safety but there's just something about knowing you're not alone in the event that something does happen. Just that little extra piece of mind.

That said there's always people out riding unless of course you're riding at someone's private track. Moto people for the most part are great people so get out there, socialize and you'll make new riding buddies.
Acidreamer
11/14/2017 9:45am
I usually ride 3 30 min motos and then pick something afterwards to work on. Theres a new double and a table right out of a corner at my track so i try to work on getting those down

The Shop

11/14/2017 9:49am
I'm 30, and head to the track solo sometimes. I don't feel like i ride any differently when i'm by myself. In fact, I tend to feel like having buddies around is a distraction, and riding solo allows me to focus on myself all day and work on improving.
11/14/2017 10:00am
Whenever I ride alone, which is rarely, I don't really push it or do any big jumps and I tell my mom or girlfriend if you don't hear from me for 2-3 hours you maybe should come check on me.
Bfogg217
11/14/2017 10:03am
I would hope there's other people at the track to help if something were to happen. Something I started doing is putting my family and wife as my emergency contacts on my phone where they are accessible without unlocking the thing so if I were to be unconscious they can contact someone. I try to focus on corner technique a lot when I'm alone also
AJ565
11/14/2017 10:12am
I've done both. I like the going solo aspect of it because I don't have to worry about the girlfriend being bored and sitting around. I text her a lot when I'm heading out and when I come back off track so she knows I'm safe. I would be screwed if something happened to me when I was out riding though. She goes with me most of the time though because she worries to much.
11/14/2017 10:15am
All of my buddies have bikes but are too lame (maybe scared?) to ride tracks. Which means my track days are usually spent solo. Just take it slow and don’t try anything out of the norm, it would suck to get hurt with no help and your truck and bike at the track.
mxrose3
Fantasy
1046th
11/14/2017 10:49am
I've ridden solo before also. The way I look at it is:
as long as you are riding on a track that is run by someone that keeps the ambulance on standby, you don't have much to worry about. If the worse were to happen, and your bike, truck and belongings are stuck at the track while you are being carted off to the hospital, you can always ask the track owner to keep an eye on them until you can get somebody there to pick them up for you. The track owner/promotor isn't going to leave your bike laying in the middle of the track.
mxpro252
11/14/2017 11:10am
Despite you acknowledging you know its dangerous to go solo, I feel like being the 8th person to remind you that you shouldn’t do anything dangerous or avoid going solo.

That out of the way, I would usually work on corner stuff a lot, especially if there were very few people there. Without buddies there making me want to just burn laps, I could just drill certain corners or sections. I’d put out cones for braking points or anything else I wouldn’t normally work on.
piscokid
11/14/2017 11:18am
At a practice track and this guy comes up short on a huge double. Helmet split in half, life flight, etc etc. Long story short, No one at the track knew anything about the guy. If you do go alone please take a moment and have some information about yourself somewhere on yourself or your vehicle. At bare minimum, a name and emergency phone contact.
Cygrace74
11/14/2017 11:20am
Have done moto trips all the way to Florida and back alone, always just slowly work my way up to stuff and don't make dumb choices on a big triple or something tricky. Always make sure to leave an emergency number at sign up
49weasel
11/14/2017 11:39am
I go solo a lot, but 99% of the time I know someone I would trust if shit hits the fan.
I recently started taking my 4 year old son with me to open ride days without any issue , I very rarely push it when I practice but I took him to a race this summer and mentally I was out of it. I even had close friends watching him while I was racing and still couldn’t focus.
Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
11/14/2017 12:30pm
I go solo often and I always end up meeting people and I have a new friend(s) by the end of the day.
Frodad78
11/14/2017 1:05pm
Myke wrote:
I go solo often and I always end up meeting people and I have a new friend(s) by the end of the day.
this^^

Make enough solo trips and soon enough you won't be riding alone.
dirtmike86
11/14/2017 1:21pm
I pretty much always go alone. 31 yr old. Married. Two kids. I try not to think about getting hurt cause then its in your head. But i dont know about other brands but my fly helmet has a tag that you write your name and info on. Ive crashed while having buddies present... A whole lot of good they did! Just ride, have fun and dont push your limits. And dont ever say "one more time."
Wes_Brooks
11/14/2017 1:47pm Edited Date/Time 11/14/2017 1:48pm
One thing I always do when at a track alone is write "In case of Emergency Contact (Name/Phone Number)" in big sharpie on a white piece of printer paper and put one in my gear bag and one on the front seat of my truck.
mxrose3
Fantasy
1046th
11/14/2017 1:57pm Edited Date/Time 11/14/2017 2:00pm
Wes_Brooks wrote:
One thing I always do when at a track alone is write "In case of Emergency Contact (Name/Phone Number)" in big sharpie on a white piece...
One thing I always do when at a track alone is write "In case of Emergency Contact (Name/Phone Number)" in big sharpie on a white piece of printer paper and put one in my gear bag and one on the front seat of my truck.
^^ that's an excellent suggestion for anybody riding alone.

Way back when we had flip phones that didn't lock, we used to have an 'ICE' number programmed in that anybody could see. No way we can do that with smart phones now.
Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
11/14/2017 2:05pm
Wes_Brooks wrote:
One thing I always do when at a track alone is write "In case of Emergency Contact (Name/Phone Number)" in big sharpie on a white piece...
Good advice! I am going to do that!
erik_94COBRA
11/14/2017 2:07pm
I often go to the track alone, but it is rare that I am the only person out there. With or without others riding, I repeat my mantra of why I'm there: to have fun and be safe.

I have an ICE number programmed into my phone.
sandman768
11/14/2017 2:24pm
I go to the track alone all the time, ride the same way I always do.. Make some new friends at the track, at least so they know who you are in case something happens, great idea to leave emergency info on/ in your vehicle. When I used to ride alone on my woods loop, I would tell my wife where I was, I"m not 100% sure she would send the search party out though....
TogaSet
Fantasy
3894th
11/14/2017 3:34pm
sandman768 wrote:
I go to the track alone all the time, ride the same way I always do.. Make some new friends at the track, at least so...
I go to the track alone all the time, ride the same way I always do.. Make some new friends at the track, at least so they know who you are in case something happens, great idea to leave emergency info on/ in your vehicle. When I used to ride alone on my woods loop, I would tell my wife where I was, I"m not 100% sure she would send the search party out though....
Lol.
11/14/2017 3:57pm
Very well possible but maybe you should try and find a riding buddy.
mingham97
11/14/2017 4:08pm
Wes_Brooks wrote:
mxrose3 wrote:
^^ that's an excellent suggestion for anybody riding alone. Way back when we had flip phones that didn't lock, we used to have an 'ICE' number...
^^ that's an excellent suggestion for anybody riding alone.

Way back when we had flip phones that didn't lock, we used to have an 'ICE' number programmed in that anybody could see. No way we can do that with smart phones now.
http://webcazine.com/17724/galaxy-s7-edge-how-to-add-emergency-numbers-…

https://rnn10.wordpress.com/2010/06/21/how-to-set-up-an-ice-contact-on-…

I've also got an app on my phone called Emergency+ and all I have to do is tap police, fire or ambulance and it sends exact latitude and longitude to the service. The app is government funded. Afterall, who really knows the exact location of their MX track/friends farm/trails.

The system is better then ever these days
ruy
11/14/2017 5:04pm
I find it strange that you say "Solo" in Spanish, I did not know you used it in the USA, I do not understand why. Maybe it's Spanglish
Sometimes I roll alone, solo, and I do not like it much because I'm more careful and that sometimes makes you make a mistake. And not to enjoy the same, although I must admit that some of the best days have been riding alone.
It's good to advise where you're going and what time you plan to return
Also here there are tracks where they make you fill out a sheet with some data and there you leave a contact phone number in case of accident.
Also my rider insurance takes care of taking my car, trailer and motorcycle if is necessary.

ruy
11/14/2017 5:20pm
When I ride enduro in the mountains alone, solo, I carry an app In the phone with the route followed and the position where I am,
I also carry a whistle in case I find myself in a very difficult place to see when arrived emergencies or the phone does not work and so someone can hear me.
I also have some sport sneakers in the backpack, in case the bike breaks down and I have to walk for help or a vehicle to recover the bike.

ruy
11/14/2017 5:36pm
sandman768 wrote:
I go to the track alone all the time, ride the same way I always do.. Make some new friends at the track, at least so...
I also told her that she could see in the phone app the route that I follow when I do enduro, so she sees where I am, and she told me that she would not be seeing that.
Well, I suppose if I delay a lot, that she looks at it or that I hope Lol

kdawson252
11/14/2017 5:45pm Edited Date/Time 11/14/2017 5:46pm
Wes_Brooks wrote:
I go to the track alone 95% of the time now. I have an 1&1/2 year old son and its just hard to bring him along. But I always leave an emergency contact on my front seat when I'm alone. During race days I always add an emergency contact on my sign-up sheet.
mxrose3
Fantasy
1046th
11/14/2017 6:14pm
mingham97 wrote:
http://webcazine.com/17724/galaxy-s7-edge-how-to-add-emergency-numbers-to-your-lock-screen/ https://rnn10.wordpress.com/2010/06/21/how-to-set-up-an-ice-contact-on-your-iphone/ I've also got an app on my phone called Emergency+ and all I have to do is tap police, fire or ambulance and it...
http://webcazine.com/17724/galaxy-s7-edge-how-to-add-emergency-numbers-…

https://rnn10.wordpress.com/2010/06/21/how-to-set-up-an-ice-contact-on-…

I've also got an app on my phone called Emergency+ and all I have to do is tap police, fire or ambulance and it sends exact latitude and longitude to the service. The app is government funded. Afterall, who really knows the exact location of their MX track/friends farm/trails.

The system is better then ever these days
good info - thanks!

Post a reply to: Riding MX Solo?

The Latest