Riders not paying?!

WDSRCR
10/21/2019 6:49am
piscokid wrote:
From Ohio, were is this track you speak of?
husky125 wrote:
I believe it's Lightning in Tippecanoe, Ohio
mxb2 wrote:
Correct.
Lightning Weppler is a great guy and does a good job promoting events over there on his property. I have not been on the MX track but have done a MotoTrials event there with Trials Inc. and he was awesome.
mxb2
10/21/2019 6:52am
husky125 wrote:
mxb2 wrote:
Correct.
WDSRCR wrote:
Lightning Weppler is a great guy and does a good job promoting events over there on his property. I have not been on the MX track...
Lightning Weppler is a great guy and does a good job promoting events over there on his property. I have not been on the MX track but have done a MotoTrials event there with Trials Inc. and he was awesome.
Yea, he is super, cool. Low track fee . Open 7 days, sometimes not prepped. But a cheap place to ride mx and trails.
zippytech
10/21/2019 9:20am
zippytech wrote:
We have a local track the guy basically has a box, that you print and sign a sheet and put 10 bucks in to ride day...
We have a local track the guy basically has a box, that you print and sign a sheet and put 10 bucks in to ride day light to dark and offers free camping.

And believe it or not I hear guys says they get there gas money from the box.. unbelievable.
piscokid wrote:
husky125 wrote:
You are correct.
alex69
10/21/2019 1:50pm
Forty wrote:
We had a high profile pro arrive at a local track here and he refused to pay because he felt he was above it. Track owner...
We had a high profile pro arrive at a local track here and he refused to pay because he felt he was above it. Track owner sent him packing. He came back about an hour later with his $20.00.

It’s $20! Pay the damn $20 like the rest of us goons and ride.
CivBars wrote:
We pay $40 around here!
Forty wrote:
This was a while back. It’s $35.00 now. Not really the point but even $40 is fair.
Is this the entry fee for the hole day?

The Shop

Forty
10/21/2019 1:58pm
CivBars wrote:
We pay $40 around here!
Forty wrote:
This was a while back. It’s $35.00 now. Not really the point but even $40 is fair.
alex69 wrote:
Is this the entry fee for the hole day?
10 am to dusk.
10/23/2019 1:55am
Ok. Let me lay out two similar but very different scenarios.

Scenario 1 is where a pro rider turns up to a track and has a conversation with the owner about whether they can ride free or not, whether it will help business etc, if so what the framework should be for free access - frequency, days, times, process. They either agree or don’t. The rider respects the decision. We can all form opinions as to what they should do. This is not this situation.

Scenario 2 is different. A pro rider turns up and decides what they are going to do on a track owners property - e.g. ride the track for free. When caught, the rider insist they get to decide what they do, and not the track owner.
This is the situation according to what we know. No one on here should agree the owner should hand over property rights to such a rider. And if the property owner does have arrangements with other pro riders to let them ride free it makes sense to exclude a rider with this attitude from any such arrangement.
SPYGUY
Fantasy
748th
10/23/2019 4:28am
Hoks wrote:
A business related expense that can be a tax write off is not free or a discount. Say you make $30,000 in taxable income in the...
A business related expense that can be a tax write off is not free or a discount.

Say you make $30,000 in taxable income in the year. You pay a % if taxes based off that income. So for examples sake if you pay 10% in taxes you owe $3,000 in taxes.

But if you have $5,000 in business expenses that can be deducted on your taxes your taxable i come is now $25,000, so you would owe $2,500 in taxes.

And there’s hundreds of other rules that could change this scenario. Which is why professional athletes probably hire their taxes done, while the average joe takes the standard deductions.
mx617 wrote:
Your math is good, that's why it's a discount. You're paying with pre-tax dollars instead of after tax. Another way to look at it would be...
Your math is good, that's why it's a discount. You're paying with pre-tax dollars instead of after tax. Another way to look at it would be your $5000 in business expenses actually only cost $4500 after the tax reduction.
Hoks wrote:
Ok, you could say it’s a discount I suppose. But in the reference of “it’s a 30% discount” is not an accurate statement either. I don’t...
Ok, you could say it’s a discount I suppose. But in the reference of “it’s a 30% discount” is not an accurate statement either. I don’t know what the new standard deduction is with the new tax laws, but with the old one they’d have to have over $12,500 in business expenses before it kicks in and becomes a benefit. With the new tax laws I wanna say it’s over $25,000 (tax bracket depending etc.)

My point is it’s just not a discount. When tax time rolls around you can add it to your deductions and maybe get your taxes lowered... but to say it’s a “30% discount or free” is just not correct.

But hey whatever, i don’t care about other people’s taxes just trying to shed some light if you didn’t know.
You’re mixed up. Standard deduction vs itemization is for personal income taxes and has nothing to do with business expenses.
Natester551v
10/23/2019 5:01am
Time to put away the pitchforks and torches?

The Vitard mob....SMH...😳
bierbower105
10/23/2019 5:08am
zippytech wrote:
We have a local track the guy basically has a box, that you print and sign a sheet and put 10 bucks in to ride day...
We have a local track the guy basically has a box, that you print and sign a sheet and put 10 bucks in to ride day light to dark and offers free camping.

And believe it or not I hear guys says they get there gas money from the box.. unbelievable.
piscokid wrote:
Lightning - Save your $10 - Go to Beans Bike Park not far from there - Beans was Brock Sellards practice track $20 10-4 best track in the state I'd say. Everywhere else is $25 for the most part .

$40 is insane. Unless it's Red Bud then I'd pretty much pay my first born if I had to.......
GangGreen
10/23/2019 6:00am
Honestly, I had a track owner in Pennsylvania tell me I am not welcome because I kept correcting his horrible spelling and grammar on Facebook. It's his land, and he can do what he wishes. He lets four-wheelers ride, so I'm much better off in the long run.
Hoks
10/23/2019 6:26am
mx617 wrote:
Your math is good, that's why it's a discount. You're paying with pre-tax dollars instead of after tax. Another way to look at it would be...
Your math is good, that's why it's a discount. You're paying with pre-tax dollars instead of after tax. Another way to look at it would be your $5000 in business expenses actually only cost $4500 after the tax reduction.
Hoks wrote:
Ok, you could say it’s a discount I suppose. But in the reference of “it’s a 30% discount” is not an accurate statement either. I don’t...
Ok, you could say it’s a discount I suppose. But in the reference of “it’s a 30% discount” is not an accurate statement either. I don’t know what the new standard deduction is with the new tax laws, but with the old one they’d have to have over $12,500 in business expenses before it kicks in and becomes a benefit. With the new tax laws I wanna say it’s over $25,000 (tax bracket depending etc.)

My point is it’s just not a discount. When tax time rolls around you can add it to your deductions and maybe get your taxes lowered... but to say it’s a “30% discount or free” is just not correct.

But hey whatever, i don’t care about other people’s taxes just trying to shed some light if you didn’t know.
SPYGUY wrote:
You’re mixed up. Standard deduction vs itemization is for personal income taxes and has nothing to do with business expenses.
But you can claim business related expenses on personal taxes.

example: I do not own a business, but I’m required to make a few purchases outta my pocket for my job. That would be the same as a professional paying to ride. Unless of course they have a business set up for their brand. But we don’t know who or what the situation was so it’s a moo point
mxb2
10/23/2019 7:11am
zippytech wrote:

piscokid wrote:
Lightning - Save your $10 - Go to Beans Bike Park not far from there - Beans was Brock Sellards practice track $20 10-4 best track...
Lightning - Save your $10 - Go to Beans Bike Park not far from there - Beans was Brock Sellards practice track $20 10-4 best track in the state I'd say. Everywhere else is $25 for the most part .

$40 is insane. Unless it's Red Bud then I'd pretty much pay my first born if I had to.......
Agreed, beans is way better. But lightning is decent for $10, and ya can ride 7 days a week.
Graybeard
Fantasy
2206th
10/23/2019 8:33am
zippytech wrote:

piscokid wrote:
Lightning - Save your $10 - Go to Beans Bike Park not far from there - Beans was Brock Sellards practice track $20 10-4 best track...

Where is this from Columbus area, and how long will the tracks be open before winter shuts them down?
mxb2
10/23/2019 8:38am
piscokid wrote:

Graybeard wrote:
Where is this from Columbus area, and how long will the tracks be open before winter shuts them down?
Lightning open year around. The others you need to check the websites for info. They post weekly
bierbower105
10/23/2019 8:42am Edited Date/Time 10/23/2019 8:43am
piscokid wrote:

Graybeard wrote:
Beans is outside of New Philadelphia - around 2-ish hours from Columbus - an hour from Briarcliff Mx

Former District 12 still has some excellent tracks - even though we have lost several.

http://www.pitracer.com/threads/68928/

Beans is open sunday - last one of the year.
rohleder644
10/23/2019 11:39am
Hoks wrote:
A business related expense that can be a tax write off is not free or a discount. Say you make $30,000 in taxable income in the...
A business related expense that can be a tax write off is not free or a discount.

Say you make $30,000 in taxable income in the year. You pay a % if taxes based off that income. So for examples sake if you pay 10% in taxes you owe $3,000 in taxes.

But if you have $5,000 in business expenses that can be deducted on your taxes your taxable i come is now $25,000, so you would owe $2,500 in taxes.

And there’s hundreds of other rules that could change this scenario. Which is why professional athletes probably hire their taxes done, while the average joe takes the standard deductions.
you go to Home Depot and buy a $100 drill. You had to earn $130, pay your ~30% in taxes to be able to hand over $100 to Home Depot. I go to Home Depot and buy a $100 drill. My business had to earn $100 so i can hand over $100 and get my drill, and then document and deduct that purchase. Bada bing bada boom.
sparker245
10/23/2019 7:51pm
If I was a Factory rider, Id pay twice and tell the man at the gate "The next kid to come and sign-on, please give him...
If I was a Factory rider, Id pay twice and tell the man at the gate "The next kid to come and sign-on, please give him a free pass."
Perfect.
MX76er
10/23/2019 8:48pm
MX76er wrote:
Agreed. The entire sport of motocross is advertised by product endorsement via pro riders. IMO track owner did the wrong thing from a business stance over...
Agreed. The entire sport of motocross is advertised by product endorsement via pro riders. IMO track owner did the wrong thing from a business stance over the long haul. Am I more inclined to ride at Milestone cuz track owner got his money or because pro riders endorse his track and work?
moscrop940 wrote:
Having a factory rider show up to a track in the middle of nowhere very well may drive up entries to said track on that particular...
Having a factory rider show up to a track in the middle of nowhere very well may drive up entries to said track on that particular day, but not in SoCal. Especially not at a SoCal track that has a track SPECIFICALLY MADE FOR PROS.

No one is above paying for a service, unless the person providing said service decides to comp it...

I am truly surprised one person, let alone multiple people, in here has the opinion that the track owner should have comped whomever this rider was.

Having grown up in Southern California, never once has any single rider dictated where I was going to ride that day, and I’d be willing to bet $100 bucks that 95% of others in the area feel the same....for some of you to speak with the owners wallet and say you’d let this guy ride for free is nothing short of nearsighted and disingenuous.
How this whole situation was handled goes to show how well business is going on a pro only course. Don’t be disingenuous that pro riders have the most influence on market in this industry. Safe to say your 30+. When u were a little Johnny guaranteed you were influenced to ride a track because your fav rider had rode there before. My whole point is use the professionals as marketing rather than tar and feather. Everyone agrees not paying for a service is uncool. New age communication could be used a lot better in their business practice also. Something to be learned from how this played out.
Gworm
10/23/2019 9:10pm
To actually get a benefit from the pro being there, wouldn’t you have to have advance notice so you could advertise that said pro would be there?
10/23/2019 9:37pm
Hoks wrote:

you go to Home Depot and buy a $100 drill. You had to earn $130, pay your ~30% in taxes to be able to hand over...
you go to Home Depot and buy a $100 drill. You had to earn $130, pay your ~30% in taxes to be able to hand over $100 to Home Depot. I go to Home Depot and buy a $100 drill. My business had to earn $100 so i can hand over $100 and get my drill, and then document and deduct that purchase. Bada bing bada boom.
Bad example. 30% of 130= $39.00 leaving a net of $91.00. Not enough to buy the drill. More direct look would be pro rider goes to track and pays $50 gate fee. At end of year the rider expenses the gate fee on his taxes, which decreases his net income by $50 and in turn, decreases the taxes he owes to Uncle Sam by $50 x whatever marginal tax rate his income falls in. If marginal tax rate is 30%, taxes saved by the expense is$15. Therefore, from a cash flow perspective the rider pays $50 (outflow) in gate fee, but saves $15 on taxes (inflow), for a net cash outflow of $35.00

You are getting very sleepy.

From one of Vitals CPA’s
rohleder644
10/24/2019 5:11am
Bnagazina wrote:
Bad example. 30% of 130= $39.00 leaving a net of $91.00. Not enough to buy the drill. More direct look would be pro rider goes to...
Bad example. 30% of 130= $39.00 leaving a net of $91.00. Not enough to buy the drill. More direct look would be pro rider goes to track and pays $50 gate fee. At end of year the rider expenses the gate fee on his taxes, which decreases his net income by $50 and in turn, decreases the taxes he owes to Uncle Sam by $50 x whatever marginal tax rate his income falls in. If marginal tax rate is 30%, taxes saved by the expense is$15. Therefore, from a cash flow perspective the rider pays $50 (outflow) in gate fee, but saves $15 on taxes (inflow), for a net cash outflow of $35.00

From one of Vitals CPA’s
You shut up with your actual knowledge and training. You said what I was thinking. My expertise as a Builder obviously don’t translate to the world of accounting.
rohleder644
10/24/2019 5:14am Edited Date/Time 10/24/2019 5:14am
Bnagazina wrote:
Bad example. 30% of 130= $39.00 leaving a net of $91.00. Not enough to buy the drill. More direct look would be pro rider goes to...

From one of Vitals CPA’s
Double post
mx965
10/24/2019 8:14am
Hoks wrote:

you go to Home Depot and buy a $100 drill. You had to earn $130, pay your ~30% in taxes to be able to hand over...
Bnagazina wrote:

From one of Vitals CPA’s
Thank you. There are so many misconceptions about how "write-offs" are actually applied. Everyone seems to think if you are a sole proprietor or have an LLC you can just "write off" expenses and its free money lol. This is only going to reduce your taxable income and in turn, as you said, decrease the amount you multiply by your tax rate. I am in accounting as well and when I hear people say "oh just write it off" "It's just a write off" I cringe every time.
10/24/2019 12:00pm
Rohleder644, no worries man. You can build circles around my building skills, and likely lap me multiple time on the track. I am just glad I didn’t give you narcolepsy from my post.

I love mx! Haha
ge217
10/24/2019 4:31pm

Haven’t been since 06, Beans is one of the sickest tracks I’ve rode. For sure worth it.

Post a reply to: Riders not paying?!

The Latest