Riders not paying?!

Nellyinda803
Fantasy
434th
Edited Date/Time 10/24/2019 4:31pm
Ok who was it? The decent thing to do is be honest and keep the track running.
|
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
10/18/2019 4:08pm
That's a tough situation. I know riding can be very expensive, especially for pro tracks, but I bet this would have been swept under the rug and forgiven if the rider had just apologized and paid. In this sport, people bend over backwards to help each other but you can't abuse trust, especially in such a small sport.
byke
10/18/2019 4:17pm
The industry has always been tightwad level 10. What's a pass cost for a year, few grand? Do they have any idea how many regular old boring middle class jobs there are out there where employers happily pay that much for their employees to go to school, or get training? I don't even blame the rider as much as the industry overall. Any factory or support team in SoCal should be paying for any of their racers to ride down there as much as they want. Heck it should almost be mandatory.
CivBars
10/18/2019 4:21pm
Guys will ride through the desert and try to sneak into tracks around here. Disappointing to hear when it's a factory rider. Both in this situation and locally. Canyon has had to ban Pro riders. You know who you are! Cheap ass

The Shop

10/18/2019 4:27pm
Marchbanks name was thrown out as supposedly the only factory guy riding. Just what I read somewhere else before you ask for sources
aeffertz
10/18/2019 4:30pm
Marchbanks name was thrown out as supposedly the only factory guy riding. Just what I read somewhere else before you ask for sources
Well I guess we will have to see if he’s ever there again.
Harry_Gray
10/18/2019 4:31pm
You would think the Factory/Satellite teams would foot the bill for their riders, so they could use these tracks. 🤷‍♂️
Question
10/18/2019 4:38pm
byke wrote:
The industry has always been tightwad level 10. What's a pass cost for a year, few grand? Do they have any idea how many regular old...
The industry has always been tightwad level 10. What's a pass cost for a year, few grand? Do they have any idea how many regular old boring middle class jobs there are out there where employers happily pay that much for their employees to go to school, or get training? I don't even blame the rider as much as the industry overall. Any factory or support team in SoCal should be paying for any of their racers to ride down there as much as they want. Heck it should almost be mandatory.
This is correct. It is part of the expenses to fulfill the job, plus there is no tax on it. It is almost like a laptop, no company tells their employees to bring their own laptops because the company was nice enough to give an office and a desk.
MXMattii
10/18/2019 4:40pm
Harry_Gray wrote:
You would think the Factory/Satellite teams would foot the bill for their riders, so they could use these tracks. 🤷‍♂️
I'm sure we would be very surprised if we would knew, all the bills teams leave on the table for the riders to pay.
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
10/18/2019 4:46pm
Harry_Gray wrote:
i think alot of people don't understand that riders are not employees they are basically 1099 contractors. Outside of providing bikes/ travel/ race expenses the riders are largely on their own to make sure they are training, eating, paying a mechanic etc.
Atleast thats how i understand it. I work for an excavator/landscape contractor and we don't go to the GC asking them to pay for fuel for our machines. similar situation i think.
Johnny Depp
10/18/2019 4:49pm Edited Date/Time 10/18/2019 4:51pm
As much as I appreciate the offer to ride for free, I know they need the money and pay anyway. Unfortunately many track owners have plenty of friends, contributors, local and visiting fast guys, social media influencers, sponsors and shop owners, promoters and etc. that get a free pass lots of times. I know very well how tough it is to make ends meet, especially in the summer in TX. When you only have 30 riders you can't afford for 5 or 10 to be comped. We are about to lose a track in ADVMX, it's serious. Pay to Play.

Since most modern tracks are for wanna be LL and Pro guys, without them paying (and they ride the most) the business model is a disaster.
Beeby
10/18/2019 4:49pm
The tracks are missing a trick here if they don't have season passes offered at a discount if you pay up at the start of the year. Discount for riders and money in the bank for them.
dimetime
10/18/2019 4:51pm Edited Date/Time 10/18/2019 4:52pm
byke wrote:
The industry has always been tightwad level 10. What's a pass cost for a year, few grand? Do they have any idea how many regular old...
The industry is a serpant eating it's own tail.

This industry is infected with nepotism and myopic self serving. The best thing that could happen to the industry in general is a massive flushing out of long time self dealing players.

This whole sport suffers from too few fresh eyes and and too little turnover of fresh blood. It's a merry go round of the same people doing the same shit over and over and over and over and over...............

Oh and they are all cheap as fuck
Zaugg
10/18/2019 5:08pm
In most cases, the factory teams shell out HUGE!!!! money to lease and prep factory tracks. In some cases they allow some of the satellite teams to ride at the test tracks.

Yamaha, Honda, KTM, Husky, TLD, Factory Kawi, PC...all of these guys have spent big money on test tracks and in most cases, it's not just the factory guys that ride. (Geico Honda and SmartTop for example can be found at the Honda test track. TLD and KTM swap back and forth between the three tracks they have, sometimes letting KTM riders ride the track...depending on the team and their level of support...etc...etc.)

So the claim that the factory teams aren't supporting or funding practice facilities for their riders is short-sighted and uneducated. Most likely a lower level team rider or a privateer...see my comments below for more.

If a rider wants to ride at one of the "Public" SX tracks they have to pay. (Typically in order to ride a Public SX track you need to have your license. The average Joe off the street won't be able to ride it.)

Let's not make this about teams not supporting their riders. It's hard enough to get sponsors to help fund a team (pretty sure I've read multiple posts wondering why our sport is shrinking).

This jack-wagon decided he was too cool to pay for the SX track fee...(which takes more time to prep if done right) and he did a bang-up job of making himself and his sponsors look bad. (Good-on Milestone for not mentioning the rider...he knows who he is.)

Forty
10/18/2019 5:14pm
We had a high profile pro arrive at a local track here and he refused to pay because he felt he was above it. Track owner sent him packing. He came back about an hour later with his $20.00.

It’s $20! Pay the damn $20 like the rest of us goons and ride.
mxb2
10/18/2019 5:14pm
Zaugg wrote:
In most cases, the factory teams shell out HUGE!!!! money to lease and prep factory tracks. In some cases they allow some of the satellite teams...
In most cases, the factory teams shell out HUGE!!!! money to lease and prep factory tracks. In some cases they allow some of the satellite teams to ride at the test tracks.

Yamaha, Honda, KTM, Husky, TLD, Factory Kawi, PC...all of these guys have spent big money on test tracks and in most cases, it's not just the factory guys that ride. (Geico Honda and SmartTop for example can be found at the Honda test track. TLD and KTM swap back and forth between the three tracks they have, sometimes letting KTM riders ride the track...depending on the team and their level of support...etc...etc.)

So the claim that the factory teams aren't supporting or funding practice facilities for their riders is short-sighted and uneducated. Most likely a lower level team rider or a privateer...see my comments below for more.

If a rider wants to ride at one of the "Public" SX tracks they have to pay. (Typically in order to ride a Public SX track you need to have your license. The average Joe off the street won't be able to ride it.)

Let's not make this about teams not supporting their riders. It's hard enough to get sponsors to help fund a team (pretty sure I've read multiple posts wondering why our sport is shrinking).

This jack-wagon decided he was too cool to pay for the SX track fee...(which takes more time to prep if done right) and he did a bang-up job of making himself and his sponsors look bad. (Good-on Milestone for not mentioning the rider...he knows who he is.)

Put him.on blast, he made the choice to avoid paying. Time to grow up.
10/18/2019 5:32pm
MXMattii wrote:
I'm sure we would be very surprised if we would knew, all the bills teams leave on the table for the riders to pay.
I remember back when James was racing, it was either in a video or a post that he had to pay for parking at an SX event. Might have been SLC.
side-pipe
Fantasy
3300th
10/18/2019 5:34pm
I have worked at tracks on practice days and the stuff people try to pull is just insane.
People will spend $700 on exhaust but try and cheat the track owner out of his money.

People sharing bikes and handing their sweaty gear to a buddy to take a few laps.
Dads hiding kids under stuff in the back seat.

One day the gate girl heard me calling little bikes out to the track to practice and she came over the radio saying she cant believe only only 2 little bikes showed up that day. I told her her numbers must be off because there was 20 little bikes on the track. She confirmed only 2 little bikes had paid. I black flagged the whole group and told them all to grab their parents and report to the sign in tower. Ohhh the excuses.... lol

soggy
Fantasy
3846th
10/18/2019 5:44pm
Zaugg wrote:
In most cases, the factory teams shell out HUGE!!!! money to lease and prep factory tracks. In some cases they allow some of the satellite teams...

i was referring to factory teams paying entry for riders to ride public tracks not their own private facilities.
aeffertz
10/18/2019 5:49pm
mxb2 wrote:
I'm definitely curious as to who it was too but the only thing is this... If this were some regular guy, would they share his name/info publicly on a social media post? Probably not because unfortunately it would lead to a witch hunt which is not okay, in my opinion. Just because it's a popular person/pro doesn't mean they still don't deserve privacy, even if it was them being an ass. The track owners know who it was and will deal with him however they need to and that's honestly all that really needs to know.

Hopefully the person learned their lesson from this and that's all you can ask.
BobbyM
10/18/2019 6:11pm
byke wrote:
Question wrote:
This is correct. It is part of the expenses to fulfill the job, plus there is no tax on it. It is almost like a laptop...
This is correct. It is part of the expenses to fulfill the job, plus there is no tax on it. It is almost like a laptop, no company tells their employees to bring their own laptops because the company was nice enough to give an office and a desk.
No personal laptops due to security issues.
mxb2
10/18/2019 6:12pm
mxb2 wrote:
aeffertz wrote:
I'm definitely curious as to who it was too but the only thing is this... If this were some regular guy, would they share his name/info...
I'm definitely curious as to who it was too but the only thing is this... If this were some regular guy, would they share his name/info publicly on a social media post? Probably not because unfortunately it would lead to a witch hunt which is not okay, in my opinion. Just because it's a popular person/pro doesn't mean they still don't deserve privacy, even if it was them being an ass. The track owners know who it was and will deal with him however they need to and that's honestly all that really needs to know.

So why post anything. They could handle it without posting a kryptic story. And if you let it slide, many more will feel the need to ride free.
RG1
10/18/2019 6:28pm
mxb2 wrote:
aeffertz wrote:
I'm definitely curious as to who it was too but the only thing is this... If this were some regular guy, would they share his name/info...

mxb2 wrote:
So why post anything. They could handle it without posting a kryptic story. And if you let it slide, many more will feel the need to...
So why post anything. They could handle it without posting a kryptic story. And if you let it slide, many more will feel the need to ride free.
I think less people are likely to try and ride without paying now than if they hadn’t said anything at all. It’s not necessary to name people. They’ve put the message out that they have a zero tolerance policy to people riding without paying, and that’s all that needs to be said
mxb2
10/18/2019 6:46pm
aeffertz wrote:

mxb2 wrote:
So why post anything. They could handle it without posting a kryptic story. And if you let it slide, many more will feel the need to...
RG1 wrote:
I think less people are likely to try and ride without paying now than if they hadn’t said anything at all. It’s not necessary to name...
I think less people are likely to try and ride without paying now than if they hadn’t said anything at all. It’s not necessary to name people. They’ve put the message out that they have a zero tolerance policy to people riding without paying, and that’s all that needs to be said
You are nicer than me. Lol. The place is trying to run a business,and a idiot thinks they are entitled to ride free. Fukem.
CivBars
10/18/2019 6:50pm
Forty wrote:
We had a high profile pro arrive at a local track here and he refused to pay because he felt he was above it. Track owner...
We had a high profile pro arrive at a local track here and he refused to pay because he felt he was above it. Track owner sent him packing. He came back about an hour later with his $20.00.

We pay $40 around here!
Nellyinda803
Fantasy
434th
10/18/2019 6:56pm
Forty wrote:
We had a high profile pro arrive at a local track here and he refused to pay because he felt he was above it. Track owner...

CivBars wrote:
We pay $40 around here!
I can relate. The two closest tracks to me are Budds Creek ($40) and another close to it for $45. It's insane
10/18/2019 7:00pm
Forty wrote:

CivBars wrote:
We pay $40 around here!
I can relate. The two closest tracks to me are Budds Creek ($40) and another close to it for $45. It's insane
$40 isn’t bad in the scheme of things. Tracks aren’t printing cash or anything, let them charge what they have to or they’ll keep disappearing
kaptkaos
10/18/2019 7:05pm
I thought Filthy Phil Nicoletti was in Canada??

Who else would be so cheap as to try to ride for free?
Forty
10/18/2019 7:09pm
Forty wrote:

CivBars wrote:
We pay $40 around here!
This was a while back. It’s $35.00 now. Not really the point but even $40 is fair.
CivBars
10/18/2019 7:24pm
Forty wrote:

CivBars wrote:
We pay $40 around here!
Forty wrote:
This was a while back. It’s $35.00 now. Not really the point but even $40 is fair.
I guess it's all subjective

Post a reply to: Riders not paying?!

The Latest