Riders need better shoulder protective gear.

Joko
Fantasy
233rd
Edited Date/Time 1/17/2018 3:43pm
And wear it.
Tomac
Wilson
Musquin
Not too much out there for protective chest protectors with shoulder protection.
Something like the Fox roost deflector, but more of a plastic cup like the STX or Riddell, but more streamlined.
Idk ... I’ve injured each of my shoulders twice, requiring surgery, would like to something new & innovative....

|
pdub187
Fantasy
2532nd
1/13/2018 8:21pm
It's a really crappy joint. I'm not sure how much you can do to protect it really. You can't ever take the danger out of dirtbike racing and you can't change the fact that physiologically the shoulder is just a half-socket and some tendons.
mxb2
1/13/2018 8:22pm
Joko wrote:
And wear it. Tomac Wilson Musquin Not too much out there for protective chest protectors with shoulder protection. Something like the Fox roost deflector, but more...
And wear it.
Tomac
Wilson
Musquin
Not too much out there for protective chest protectors with shoulder protection.
Something like the Fox roost deflector, but more of a plastic cup like the STX or Riddell, but more streamlined.
Idk ... I’ve injured each of my shoulders twice, requiring surgery, would like to something new & innovative....

None of those will.stop a shoulder injury, caused by a shoulder digger/faceplant.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
Forces have to go somewhere. So where you gonna put it? The spine?
Fourth_Floor
Protection vs range of movement....most riders are going to go with range of movement.

As lean as these guys are and as hard as they're hitting the ground I don't think there is much to offer in the terms of injury prevention. They're built like cyclists and are taking hits like a hockey player.

The Shop

1/13/2018 8:23pm
pdub187 wrote:
It's a really crappy joint. I'm not sure how much you can do to protect it really. You can't ever take the danger out of dirtbike...
It's a really crappy joint. I'm not sure how much you can do to protect it really. You can't ever take the danger out of dirtbike racing and you can't change the fact that physiologically the shoulder is just a half-socket and some tendons.
I agree but how entertaining is the sport if the top guys are all out? Tomac is going to be just as fast with a neck brace and chest protector as he is without.
kongols
1/13/2018 8:23pm
No gear will protect your shoulder when you land on your elbow.
Acidreamer
1/13/2018 8:25pm
Only real shoulder protection is muscle mass. Theyre literally twigs out there.
Joko
Fantasy
233rd
1/13/2018 8:27pm
Maybe the best defense is building strong supporting muscles around the joint...
LungButter
1/13/2018 8:28pm
kongols wrote:
This
dimetime
1/13/2018 8:30pm
kongols wrote:
Boom. Exactly.
jnickell
Fantasy
1738th
1/13/2018 8:30pm
kongols wrote:
Exactly!!
AZ35
Fantasy
544th
1/13/2018 8:35pm
Ironic that back in the "old" days the top riders wore more protective gear such as "roost deflectors".

Even though the bikes were slower, jumps were smaller, tracks were tighter.

Now suddenly the upper body protection is just too restricting and slows them down..? I guess having an injury slows you down too...

Like others have said in previous threads- do you think NFL players feel like they are "more comfortable" with full shoulder pads"? Hell no, that shit is a pain in the ass when it comes to feeling "comfortable".

But NFL rules rightfully mandate that ALL players wear league specified protective gear. Wear it for your own safety or don't play. Same "restrictions" for everyone so they all can "deal" with it equally.

AMA, FIM, Feld, someone needs to step up and make it a requirement for every rider to wear every bit of protective gear that is realistically available.

It's no different than AMA specs for the machine specs and rules. But AMA specs for rider safety... welcome to the stone ages.

Riders will use every advantage they can get to go faster, and being "less restricted" is one advantage. So unless they are required to wear more safety gear then they won't because their competition will use it against them.
pdub187
Fantasy
2532nd
I agree but how entertaining is the sport if the top guys are all out? Tomac is going to be just as fast with a neck...
I agree but how entertaining is the sport if the top guys are all out? Tomac is going to be just as fast with a neck brace and chest protector as he is without.
Tomac does wear an under-jersey roost guard.
Thelen20
The shoulder cap on his chest protector probably contributed to the dislocation when it gets wedged between his neck and his humerus, its held there by the bottom of his helmet and when his arm is forced up it literally pries your shoulder apart . . .

At least that what happened to me in a small low side crash in a slippery corner. I won't wear chest protection that has a hard shoulder cap ever again. That little fall turned into the biggest injury I have had to date. Multiple dislocations, 3 surgeries, etc. Shoulder injuries are no joke
hellion
1/13/2018 8:39pm
I've had shoulder injuries from impacts, and I've had them from my arm going in a direction it's not meant to go. The surgery and recovery are grueling. So I'm always looking for a better solution, but I don't think there is a way to protect against at least half of the shoulder injuries that happen riding. I wear a chest pro, but I don't believe it really does much.
p0wn
1/13/2018 8:44pm
I think sooner or later they'll have sort of an exoskeleton type pad system which will help. 3d print the thing to each rider.

The shoulder is the most complex joint in the body, it's super vulnerable.
yz133rider
1/13/2018 8:46pm
Something is better than nothing

Look at what pastrana wears before doing some gnarly attempt. If i was gonna race sx bet your ass id be suited up like pastrana. Gotta make it thru 17 rounds. Most are out before the season starts it seems.
Rhino
1/13/2018 8:48pm
They don't train. They are skin and skeletons.

For example who is more built to hit the deck? Bakers guys or a guy who dribbles a ball?

Wandell
1/13/2018 8:51pm
Like others said, there is a limit to how much protective gear a rider can wear. Also, having been around football my entire life too, shoulder and collarbone injuries are pretty common in it also. And as others have pointed out football players have a lot more muscle mass (on average) than mx riders and wear much, much more upper body protective equipment.
tempura
1/13/2018 8:52pm
Someone make a jersey that protection can fit under!!!
yz133rider
1/13/2018 8:56pm
Wandell wrote:
Like others said, there is a limit to how much protective gear a rider can wear. Also, having been around football my entire life too, shoulder...
Like others said, there is a limit to how much protective gear a rider can wear. Also, having been around football my entire life too, shoulder and collarbone injuries are pretty common in it also. And as others have pointed out football players have a lot more muscle mass (on average) than mx riders and wear much, much more upper body protective equipment.
So would you think they would get hurt more or less if they worse less padding?
Mit12
1/13/2018 9:01pm
Joko wrote:
And wear it. Tomac Wilson Musquin Not too much out there for protective chest protectors with shoulder protection. Something like the Fox roost deflector, but more...
And wear it.
Tomac
Wilson
Musquin

You do understand that Shoulder pads would not helped Marvin. Marvin landed with his arm out and behind that is why his shoulder dislocated. I would be willing to bet that Tomac has a seperated shoulder and shoulder pads would not have helped him either.
jemcee
1/13/2018 9:01pm
I've dislocated my shoulder 3 times and I've broken my collar bone and shoulder blade..
Was wearing a Fox Roost 2 each time
jemcee
1/13/2018 9:03pm
Mit12 wrote:
You do understand that Shoulder pads would not helped Marvin. Marvin landed with his arm out and behind that is why his shoulder dislocated. I would...
You do understand that Shoulder pads would not helped Marvin. Marvin landed with his arm out and behind that is why his shoulder dislocated. I would be willing to bet that Tomac has a seperated shoulder and shoulder pads would not have helped him either.
I disagree that it wouldn't have helped Tomac
Mit12
1/13/2018 9:05pm Edited Date/Time 1/14/2018 10:41am
jemcee wrote:
I disagree that it wouldn't have helped Tomac
I have had multiple AC seperations both with and without shoulder pads. I am telling you they do not help with AC seperations or dislocations.
jnickell
Fantasy
1738th
1/13/2018 9:06pm
Padding absorbs very little when were talking about protection agains joint injuries or broken bones. Yes, plastic protection is going to help prevent injury from highly concentrated blows like a handlebar end to the back. But the impacts that are less concentrated like belly flopping onto the track, it will do very little. In the belly flop example, it will help prevent sharp rocks and things from hurting the rider. But it will not absorb the sudden stop of the riders entire body weight as well as leverage applied that breaks and dislocates things.
1/13/2018 9:07pm
AZ35 wrote:
Ironic that back in the "old" days the top riders wore more protective gear such as "roost deflectors". Even though the bikes were slower, jumps were...
Ironic that back in the "old" days the top riders wore more protective gear such as "roost deflectors".

Even though the bikes were slower, jumps were smaller, tracks were tighter.

Now suddenly the upper body protection is just too restricting and slows them down..? I guess having an injury slows you down too...

Like others have said in previous threads- do you think NFL players feel like they are "more comfortable" with full shoulder pads"? Hell no, that shit is a pain in the ass when it comes to feeling "comfortable".

But NFL rules rightfully mandate that ALL players wear league specified protective gear. Wear it for your own safety or don't play. Same "restrictions" for everyone so they all can "deal" with it equally.

AMA, FIM, Feld, someone needs to step up and make it a requirement for every rider to wear every bit of protective gear that is realistically available.

It's no different than AMA specs for the machine specs and rules. But AMA specs for rider safety... welcome to the stone ages.

Riders will use every advantage they can get to go faster, and being "less restricted" is one advantage. So unless they are required to wear more safety gear then they won't because their competition will use it against them.
Good post! Agree.
josh8811
1/13/2018 9:28pm
colintrax wrote:
Forces have to go somewhere. So where you gonna put it? The spine?
This guy gets it, and unfortunately it really is this basic. Those protectors can help from cuts, and roost, but nothing really helps from big impacts, even footballs and hockey pads have limited value when you slam the ground.

The riders weight x the riders speed= the riders momentum.. the only way to reduce this impact is to bleed off the energy over a greater distance. This is the basics of a 6d.

Grade 4 left shoulder AC separation, and grade 2 right in the last 3 years. Both times I slammed the ground on my side.
Ebs
1/13/2018 9:32pm
Probably would have helped Wilson though who slammed shoulder first.

Post a reply to: Riders need better shoulder protective gear.

The Latest