Riders Salaries 2017 and beyond (FELD)

newage
Edited Date/Time 1/9/2016 8:19pm

I understand that this topic is like beating a dead horse but the field has never been so deep. We now have 10+ guys that can win. Each of those riders deserve the 3 million +++ salaries a year, the guys in the top 10 - 20 deserve at least a cool mil, and the rest of the field should not be racing for less than 300 - 500k.

With all the teams dipping into the same pockets for sponsorships its going to get increasingly challenging for these rides to get paid. Instead of making more money, the same money is spread around. Traditionally that money was spread around 3 guys (Stewart, RV types...). Now that same money is going to be spread around 10+ riders.

With everyone making less in years to come, riders are to get disgruntled and stop taking risks or worse case, stop racing.

FELD needs to adopt a similar model as NBA Basketball, 50% of revenue goes to players. I understand that Moto is not NBA, but it is all proportionate.

Its time they GAVE back to the Sport. If they don't the teams should start their own racing series next year, getting TV etc would be a piece of cake, they go where the talent is. If FELD wants to think short term they better be careful because the riders will revolt!
|
IWreckALot
1/6/2016 6:10am Edited Date/Time 1/6/2016 6:10am
Same old shit different year. . . We would all love to see them earn more money. If you're going to call Feld out, you might as well call riders out also. I'd be curious to see what all sponsors they've pitched and heard what the response was. These guys aren't forced to do what they're doing. It's what most of us would consider a hobby. You want to get paid, find some sponsors and work on maximizing their returns in a quantifiable way.
1/6/2016 6:13am
You're opening Pandoras box.

You want Feld to regulate salaries? Pretty soon they'll back the teams financially, pay the riders. Then you know what you have? Monster Jam. Which is a Feld entity. You'll have 20 guys on different colored bikes riding around a track, but at the end of the day they arent racing, because theyre all being paid by Feld, who owns all the bikes/teams.

You guys want Monster Jam? this is how you get monster jam. Supercross is headed that direction anyway. The divide between SX and Outdoors will continue to grow.
1/6/2016 6:15am Edited Date/Time 1/6/2016 6:17am
I used to get out the pompoms and hoot and holler for more pay for the riders. Until some vitards made me realize it's not our fight. It's up to the riders to demand their own salary, not ours.

Feld would probably sell the series of millions were getting paid. Or just book Disney on ice overtop if the events. Market won't support high incomes in Mx.

End thread.

The Shop

lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
1/6/2016 6:28am Edited Date/Time 1/6/2016 6:33am
newage wrote:
I understand that this topic is like beating a dead horse but the field has never been so deep. We now have 10+ guys that can...

I understand that this topic is like beating a dead horse but the field has never been so deep. We now have 10+ guys that can win. Each of those riders deserve the 3 million +++ salaries a year, the guys in the top 10 - 20 deserve at least a cool mil, and the rest of the field should not be racing for less than 300 - 500k.

With all the teams dipping into the same pockets for sponsorships its going to get increasingly challenging for these rides to get paid. Instead of making more money, the same money is spread around. Traditionally that money was spread around 3 guys (Stewart, RV types...). Now that same money is going to be spread around 10+ riders.

With everyone making less in years to come, riders are to get disgruntled and stop taking risks or worse case, stop racing.

FELD needs to adopt a similar model as NBA Basketball, 50% of revenue goes to players. I understand that Moto is not NBA, but it is all proportionate.

Its time they GAVE back to the Sport. If they don't the teams should start their own racing series next year, getting TV etc would be a piece of cake, they go where the talent is. If FELD wants to think short term they better be careful because the riders will revolt!
Dude , you are great at spending other peoples money.
Why have the teams start their own series, why dont you start one, being you are so smart you would make a killing.
JustMX
1/6/2016 6:58am
I thought lost boy did ok...

You do need to practice your spelling though....

Check your sx history. There have been several attempts at competing series and none have done well. Sc is just too little a pond.

However, I do see some kind of completion coming on the future from the go promoters trying to establish a us series.

Getting into a speedway like charlotte and perhaps allying with someone like burton smith for a series could bet he next play.

Then all the salary issues will be resolved, just like the gp series.

(see, now THAT is sarcasm done correctly)
KTMShane699
1/6/2016 7:11am
newage wrote:
I understand that this topic is like beating a dead horse but the field has never been so deep. We now have 10+ guys that can...

Yes, this topic is like beating a dead horse. The first issue is that the riders salary is not our fight. It's theirs. If they want more money, it's up to them to make it happen. As fans, we need to be careful of what we wish for. FELD could increase payouts. It would start at the top, making room for the bottom payout tiers to grow. So the top riders would capture even more of the money. The additional expenses would get passed along to the fans in the form of ticket prices. If you want a rider to get some more money, why not just walk up to him and hand him a check?

Profit margin is a percentage gain for the investment. Profit dollars is the actual profit number. Asking the promoter to put out more money, would mean he'd want more profit dollars (to maintain his margin). So the rider makes more. The promoter makes more. The fans pay more.

To think the top ten deserve $3M is a bit of a stretch. Supercross is a 17 race series. Sure, the guys train year round but that's part of a job. The performance aspect where it's measured lasts 17 races. At the heart of it, these guys are entertainers. They're talented, for sure. But talent doesn't necessarily translate to salary. I can think of plenty of other professions where people contribute a lot more to society than athletes for a whole lot less money. And you could say that many of those professions are more skilled than a guy who rides a motorcycle fast. I don't see you lobbying for those people to get huge salaries?

Your top guys are already making a good salary to race. They're getting paid to ride a motorcycle. They're getting paid to wear clothes. The promoters offer them the opportunity by investing in having a series. The costs of promotion are far greater than most would imagine I think. There's stadium costs. Security. Travel. Insurance. Medical. The list goes on and on. And some of those figures are significant expenses.

FELD does give back to the sport. They offer the means of a series at their expense. The teams choose to participate. The riders aren't going to revolt. There's going to be plenty of riders ready for their chance at the "dream" who will fill the gates. Many will even pay for the opportunity to do so themselves.

FELD is not the bad guy in this case. If you want to improve the sport, there's better means. Raise the minimum age for a professional rider to 18 to allow for them to complete high school. Offer incentive for them to actually get an education. Racing motorcycles isn't a long career. So many riders are left with nothing when they don't realize the dream or something happens. If people had a plan for life after racing, and it weren't a detriment to make it happen the sport would be better off. Instead of high salaries for a few years, lower the salary and promote a long term investment in the sport through education and jobs. The average career in the real world is 25-30. In the sport, it's about 10 as a racer if you're lucky. Then what? Sure, the top guys are good and living the life. What about your "average" pro? Where does he go when he's done? No education or skill set for many besides riding a motorcycle. Let's promote long term career pathways and education. That WILL change the sport.

And lastly, my guess is it's not just the "time" or "connections" lacking to start a series. I'm guessing you don't have the capital up front to pull it off. And if you did, and could make it so profitable while paying the riders huge payouts...you'd do it and collect that nice return on your investment. The reason nobody else has done it yet is that there is no return on doing it and investing more money.

Shane
Flesh206
1/6/2016 7:14am Edited Date/Time 1/6/2016 7:18am
In my opinion I should make more money as well.

731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
1/6/2016 7:15am
You have still not revealed where this money tree is located. I would like a cool mil for myself, please. Thank you.
hvaughn88
1/6/2016 7:18am
newage wrote:

How did you arrive at your numbers?
RPM68
1/6/2016 7:27am
Can you imagine 7 Duece Duece with a million dollars? lol That would be a hell of a party.
hvaughn88
1/6/2016 7:47am
JeepnMike wrote:
I am one of 3 people that will get this joke LaughingLaughing
hvaughn88 wrote:
You cannot lie
731chopper wrote:
I like Pulp MX
I laughed all the way through that one. 722 is hilarious.
Xeno
1/6/2016 8:28am
newage wrote:

Your scenario sorta played out a dozen years ago. Look into the debacle known as "Jam Sports vs Clear Channel"

I can summarize things quickly: Feld has all the stadiums under contract. No stadium, no Supercross. Also, only Feld can call it supercross.

I'm surprised you didn't mention a rider's union.
1/6/2016 8:30am
Just make a decent purse. It should be $100,000 per round for the 450s.
Here is the payout for A1 250 class in 2015. The sixth place guy made $250 more than the 22nd place guy. Big whoop! Winning a pro supercross should pay you at least enough to buy a new bike!

250 WEST COAST CLASS PAYOUT
Main Event | $23,700 Payout

1. Jessy Nelson – $3350/$1000 holeshot award
2. Zach Osborne – $2325
3. Tyler Bowers – $1825
4. Justin Hill – $1625
5. Aaron Plessinger – $1525
6. Shane McElrath – $925
7. Cooper Webb – $907
8. Alex Martin – $858
9. Josh Hansen – $805
10. Michael Leib – $795
11. Zach Bell – $785
12. Scott Champion – $775
13. Matt Bisceglia – $765
14. Tommy Hahn – $755
15. Trevor Reis – $745
16. Nico Izzi – $735
17. Austin Politettli – $725
18. Ryan Breece – $715
19. Zack Freeberg – $705
20. Cole Martinez – $695
21. Darryn Durham – $685
22. Malcolm Stewart – $675

Read more at http://motocross.transworld.net/features/2015-anaheim-one-sx-purse-payo…
kaptkaos
1/6/2016 8:33am
I have mixed feelings about this. I agree, we cannot apply a Left Wing Liberal solution to this, because that just doesnt work, but it can be improved over its current method.

I think its not great to mix in unpaid privateers with the top talent at the highest level of our sport. Its just not good in any way. They are just getting lapped and increasing the risk for everyone. Lets make the Premiere Series a true Premiere series, with 20+ PROFESSIONAL riders that get paid to train all week and ride professional class equipment for pro teams. I would say any 450 rider should have to be paid a certain amount just to be in the series, and he must be signed to a qualified team. In F1, Nascar, Indycar there are TEAMS that are registered as part of the league and they must meet some financial requirements. The TEAMS will sign the riders out of the Lights class to a salary commensurate with their results.

There is a rookie cap in NFL. So why cant they make the first contract in 450 a capped one with major win bonuses?

The 250 class can be the development series. Basically make it for privateers and Factory Team development. Salaries here are capped, and the bikes must be showroom stock to keep the costs down.

I dont see why they cant pay a 450 rider a base salary of $75K and handsome finish bonuses based on results.

If that means that RD ha to make 2.75 million instead of 3 million, I am okay with that. He can easily make it up if he wins and places well all year.

In theory, maybe its a sliding scale, each year you are eligible for a higher base and a higher percentage bonus. Then if they organize and all contribute to a fund, they can all get some healthcare, and injury pay, and maybe even some assistance after they retire. Right now its every man for himself, and thats not good for the sport, especially if we want it to grow.

I dont know how they can do it, but the bottom line, I think the money being spent in the 250 class is better spent making a proper field in the Premiere class. Make 250 a true entry/development class.

I prefer to watch 25 of the best racers in the 450 class. I get nothing from watching Roczen blow past a guy that drove himself to the track all week and didnt train or have a competitive team and equipment. Its just not entertainment at all.
Jordan421
Fantasy
2594th
1/6/2016 8:41am
Why don't we let the professionals worry about how much they make, let the riders argue with FELD/AMA about how much they feel like they should get paid, and us fans just enjoy the races and support the riders at each round...
kkawboy14
1/6/2016 9:07am
Flesh206 wrote:

Get everyone at your company to strike and you will
Roscoe33
1/6/2016 9:53am
The NBA earned $1.9 billion from all media revenue that's a TV deal you can't compare to SX revenue.
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
1/6/2016 10:01am
Flesh206 wrote:

kkawboy14 wrote:
Get everyone at your company to strike and you will
How'd that work out for Hostess?
enketchum
1/6/2016 10:18am
there was a Kawasaki contract posted earlier this morning, but it was quickly deleted....
motomike137
1/6/2016 10:25am
Roscoe33 wrote:
The NBA earned $1.9 billion from all media revenue that's a TV deal you can't compare to SX revenue.
Newage I think may folks agrree with your sentiment but Roscoe33 hits on the main point you will not see it happen anytime soon.
Charper732
1/6/2016 10:52am Edited Date/Time 1/6/2016 10:52am
Xeno wrote:
Your scenario [i]sorta[/i] played out a dozen years ago. Look into the debacle known as "Jam Sports vs Clear Channel" I can summarize things quickly: Feld...
Your scenario sorta played out a dozen years ago. Look into the debacle known as "Jam Sports vs Clear Channel"

I can summarize things quickly: Feld has all the stadiums under contract. No stadium, no Supercross. Also, only Feld can call it supercross.

I'm surprised you didn't mention a rider's union.
^This. Rider's union. That is pretty much the only way I could ever see them having any leverage to get more money from the payouts. But then again, what would they do...threaten to strike and burn all the bridges with their sponsors?

The riders make the majority of the money from their sponsors...not the payouts.
KTMShane699
1/6/2016 11:05am
Charper732 wrote:
^This. Rider's union. That is pretty much the only way I could ever see them having any leverage to get more money from the payouts. But...
^This. Rider's union. That is pretty much the only way I could ever see them having any leverage to get more money from the payouts. But then again, what would they do...threaten to strike and burn all the bridges with their sponsors?

The riders make the majority of the money from their sponsors...not the payouts.
Who's in the union and contributes to the funds it takes to run one? The guys doing the entire series? The local guy who's doing a single round of the series? Who does the union represent? Is it the career guys or the local guy doing a round or two?

There are so many variables involved to make a union for a sport such as this. That's probably the single biggest reason a riders union will never get off the ground. Too many people with different agendas. It works for other sports since they play for a team who plays for a league. There aren't a ton of other sponsors with their hand in the cookie jar and there isn't a bunch of guys who are along for the "one local round."

And once again, if the riders want more it's up to them to demand it. It isn't up to the fans to come along and demand more pay for them. If I were a promoter and the fans were pushing bigger payouts, but the riders never did; I certainly wouldn't even entertain the thought. The riders are the key.

Shane
kaptkaos
1/6/2016 11:40am
I know it sounds bad, but honestly, the local guy who does 1-2 races is the problem. For the sport to grow we need a full field of Premiere Pros in the 450 SX division. Let the others race in the lites class on stock bikes.

Sponsors dont pay millions to promote local racers. The whole key is to get more sponsors on more Pro's. A rising tide raises all ships.
JayCarpent
1/6/2016 11:50am
kaptkaos wrote:
I have mixed feelings about this. I agree, we cannot apply a Left Wing Liberal solution to this, because that just doesnt work, but it can...
I have mixed feelings about this. I agree, we cannot apply a Left Wing Liberal solution to this, because that just doesnt work, but it can be improved over its current method.

I think its not great to mix in unpaid privateers with the top talent at the highest level of our sport. Its just not good in any way. They are just getting lapped and increasing the risk for everyone. Lets make the Premiere Series a true Premiere series, with 20+ PROFESSIONAL riders that get paid to train all week and ride professional class equipment for pro teams. I would say any 450 rider should have to be paid a certain amount just to be in the series, and he must be signed to a qualified team. In F1, Nascar, Indycar there are TEAMS that are registered as part of the league and they must meet some financial requirements. The TEAMS will sign the riders out of the Lights class to a salary commensurate with their results.

There is a rookie cap in NFL. So why cant they make the first contract in 450 a capped one with major win bonuses?

The 250 class can be the development series. Basically make it for privateers and Factory Team development. Salaries here are capped, and the bikes must be showroom stock to keep the costs down.

I dont see why they cant pay a 450 rider a base salary of $75K and handsome finish bonuses based on results.

If that means that RD ha to make 2.75 million instead of 3 million, I am okay with that. He can easily make it up if he wins and places well all year.

In theory, maybe its a sliding scale, each year you are eligible for a higher base and a higher percentage bonus. Then if they organize and all contribute to a fund, they can all get some healthcare, and injury pay, and maybe even some assistance after they retire. Right now its every man for himself, and thats not good for the sport, especially if we want it to grow.

I dont know how they can do it, but the bottom line, I think the money being spent in the 250 class is better spent making a proper field in the Premiere class. Make 250 a true entry/development class.

I prefer to watch 25 of the best racers in the 450 class. I get nothing from watching Roczen blow past a guy that drove himself to the track all week and didnt train or have a competitive team and equipment. Its just not entertainment at all.
So you are OK with another person making less money, risking his life? Are you also one of the McDonald employees who says they are worth ($15.00) an hour to flip a processed meat substance patty?

I am also OK with you making ($4.75) per hour, if it means my burger is properly cooked, actual beef and the fries are guaranteed to be fresh and full of salt.

Post a reply to: Riders Salaries 2017 and beyond (FELD)

The Latest