Rider changes for 2018 Teams?

Huss241
Edited Date/Time 7/26/2017 2:41pm
With the 2017 "season" (meaning sx and mx) winding down and a few specialty off races left. Where does this put some of the teams in 2018 in terms of riders?

KTM started this year with RD5, MM25, & TC41, two out of the three have now retired and in theory has two openings, if they choose to fill both spots again.

Yamaha started the year with CR22 and CW2, but down to one for outdoors and nothing signed for the second spot at the moment I believe.

Honda's shining star is attempting what would be one hell of a comeback but does Honda add another one to the team for insurance if KR94 is not able to make it to the gate for A1?

RMATV - Butler Brothers has a hot commodity in BB4 and I would imagine there has to be some pressure from KTM for BB4 to take one of the retired bikes.

Kawi - They have to be content on where they stand right now with the Eli-te (Elite) of the sport at the moment and hang on to a lower tier guy to put a second bike on the track.

Suzuki has a sharp looking bike coming out but needs someone at the top to throw a leg over it if they want to regain some respect after RC left.

I would love to hear your thoughts or some silly season rumors as we start to speculate the hot seats in 2018.
|
kiwifan
7/24/2017 1:20pm
Kawasaki - they obviously still have Eli and I think they will stick with Grant
Yamaha - they will have Webb and I doubt Reed will stay there, I am wondering if they will take on Barcia
Husky - they have Anderson and Dean
KTM - obviously have Marvin, I doubt BB will want to joint he factory team he is happy where he is, I think they might get Osbourne in the team and maybe a Troy Lee 250 rider to join the 450 team too? Reed could be an outside chance here
Honda - they have Seely and Roczen, and they will have JMart also on a factory 450 so I doubt they will get anyone else
Suzuki - I think they will stick with Bogle and Tickle and perhaps add Reed
twotwosix
7/24/2017 1:24pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2017 1:30pm
The only team I have any input about here is KTM. Decoster said that he is taking KTM back down to 2 riders for 2018. So Marvin will only have one teammate. I 100% believe Decoster does not believe Reed can deliver what they need. KTM are looking to take someone who is on the cusp of winning to the top. That means youth and raw speed/talent will be #1 and #2 on their list. Honestly, I'm not sure Barcia fits that bill either... I think Roger wants someone young.

Now this is pure, uninformed speculation right here, but I bet Barcia stays right where he is.
Huss241
7/24/2017 1:26pm
kiwifan wrote:
Kawasaki - they obviously still have Eli and I think they will stick with Grant Yamaha - they will have Webb and I doubt Reed will...
Yamaha - they will have Webb and I doubt Reed will stay there, I am wondering if they will take on Barcia
KTM - obviously have Marvin, I doubt BB will want to joint he factory team he is happy where he is, I think they might get Osbourne in the team and maybe a Troy Lee 250 rider to join the 450 team too? Reed could be an outside chance here
Honda - they have Seely and Roczen, and they will have JMart also on a factory 450 so I doubt they will get anyone else
True on all brands but what about the new RMZ450? I feel like they would really need a top 3 - 5 contender to launch and market that new bike. I just don't feel like Bogle and Tickle will be up in the battle every weekend. They are both great riders and good people but Suzuki needs to light a fire.

KTM is going to be fun to watch with two openings.

If 22 was staying Blue I would assume that would already be signed at this point.
mb60
7/24/2017 1:27pm
Just my 2 cents but Tickle to KTM and Bogle to Yamaha with Webb.

The Shop

tcallahan707
7/24/2017 1:28pm
Huss241 wrote:
With the 2017 "season" (meaning sx and mx) winding down and a few specialty off races left. Where does this put some of the teams in...
With the 2017 "season" (meaning sx and mx) winding down and a few specialty off races left. Where does this put some of the teams in 2018 in terms of riders?

KTM started this year with RD5, MM25, & TC41, two out of the three have now retired and in theory has two openings, if they choose to fill both spots again.

Yamaha started the year with CR22 and CW2, but down to one for outdoors and nothing signed for the second spot at the moment I believe.

Honda's shining star is attempting what would be one hell of a comeback but does Honda add another one to the team for insurance if KR94 is not able to make it to the gate for A1?

RMATV - Butler Brothers has a hot commodity in BB4 and I would imagine there has to be some pressure from KTM for BB4 to take one of the retired bikes.

Kawi - They have to be content on where they stand right now with the Eli-te (Elite) of the sport at the moment and hang on to a lower tier guy to put a second bike on the track.

Suzuki has a sharp looking bike coming out but needs someone at the top to throw a leg over it if they want to regain some respect after RC left.

I would love to hear your thoughts or some silly season rumors as we start to speculate the hot seats in 2018.
I'm confused on the "regain some respect after RC left" comment.
IWreckALot
7/24/2017 1:29pm
kiwifan wrote:
Kawasaki - they obviously still have Eli and I think they will stick with Grant Yamaha - they will have Webb and I doubt Reed will...
WHAT?!?!?! Barcia back to Yamaha? I didn't think he wanted anywhere near that Yamaha again.

Reed is around for name recognition only at this point. I'd love to see him win some more, but I just can't see it happening.

I'd like to see Plessinger get a run at the yamaha 450. I think he could benefit from putting on some muscle and racing the big bore class.
Motofinne
7/24/2017 1:31pm
The big question is KTM. What are they going to do?

It's impossible for them to get something above Marvin. There are 3 or 4 elite level riders in US. Marvin, Roczen, Eli and Anderson(he had a bad SX season but i think he is at the elite level). Both Roczen and Eli are locked in at their teams.

I would go with Tickle or Barcia for a 1 year deal + Reed for a SX only deal. Tickle will be a solid guy that will provide with top 10 finishes and sometimes even a podium finish. Barcia is Barcia, who knows at this point. It would be a last chance for him and a team to reignite the level we saw in 2013. Two different riders in different stages in their careers.

Then go for Webb in 2018 as a competitor for Marvin.
twotwosix
mb60 wrote:
Just my 2 cents but Tickle to KTM and Bogle to Yamaha with Webb.
Bogle would fit in really well for that role. I feel like Reed is not the best teammate for Webb.
Huss241
I'm confused on the "regain some respect after RC left" comment.
I was meaning getting back to championships. They have respect and great riders now but I am talking about multiple championships and the status of current KTM/Kawi.
twotwosix
7/24/2017 1:35pm Edited Date/Time 7/25/2017 6:02am
Motofinne wrote:
The big question is KTM. What are they going to do? It's impossible for them to get something above Marvin. There are 3 or 4 elite...

It's impossible for them to get something above Marvin. There are 3 or 4 elite level riders in US. Marvin, Roczen, Eli and Anderson(he had a bad SX season but i think he is at the elite level). Both Roczen and Eli are locked in at their teams.

I would go with Tickle or Barcia for a 1 year deal + Reed for a SX only deal. Tickle will be a solid guy that will provide with top 10 finishes and sometimes even a podium finish. Barcia is Barcia, who knows at this point. It would be a last chance for him and a team to reignite the level we saw in 2013. Two different riders in different stages in their careers.

KTM would LOVE to have Webb in '19. He rides SX/MX equally well and he's still super young.

Where does Malcolm Stewart fit into all of this? An in shape Mookie with a full offseason of testing and training with a factory team could be a SERIOUS threat for a few race wins...
dboivin
7/24/2017 1:35pm
i think forkner fits decosters ideal rider/personality. wonder how long forkner is under contract with mitch?
Huss241
7/24/2017 1:37pm
I believe Webb is signed for next year already and dont see Webb going anywhere.
Motofinne
7/24/2017 1:41pm
Motofinne wrote:
The big question is KTM. What are they going to do? It's impossible for them to get something above Marvin. There are 3 or 4 elite...

twotwosix wrote:
KTM would LOVE to have Webb in '19. He rides SX/MX equally well and he's still super young. Where does Malcolm Stewart fit into all of...
KTM would LOVE to have Webb in '19. He rides SX/MX equally well and he's still super young.

Where does Malcolm Stewart fit into all of this? An in shape Mookie with a full offseason of testing and training with a factory team could be a SERIOUS threat for a few race wins...
Well, his rookie season has been really bad for a guy that is supposed to be the "next guy". Riders that becomes champions and generational champions does not go through a season in this kind of mediocre manner.

The asterisk for him is the bike. He will be fine if it's only the YZF 450 that holds him back but he is in trouble if it is the 450 in general.

It will be interesting to watch him ride the 18. Tonus looked good on it in Loket on Sunday.
Huss241
7/24/2017 1:44pm
and to think, Suzuki won most of the 450 Nationals last year
Understandable. 1 Championship out of the last 14 series chances with sx and mx combined, better than Honda I suppose.
ledger
7/24/2017 1:48pm
Barcia to Kawasaki with Tomac....would be interesting.
7/24/2017 1:56pm
no way ktm hires barcia or tickle if they want someone who can win. both of those guys are over the hill to win so to speak.

Probably wouldnt take justin after his last ktm stint.

I think barcia goes to the gps to be close to his new missus.
RonJon
7/24/2017 1:59pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2017 2:01pm
If Hill moves up I'd say that KTM and Kawi court hard for his services.

Osbourne is likely to end up on a KTM is that doesn't happen.

AC to geico and McElrath takes his ride at Pro Circuit.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Craig end up over at Troy Lee or PC either.

RCH picks up Reed, Bogle will end up either at Kawi or Yamaha depending on how the top guys play out.
7/24/2017 2:04pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2017 2:48pm
RonJon wrote:
If Hill moves up I'd say that KTM and Kawi court hard for his services. Osbourne is likely to end up on a KTM is that...
If Hill moves up I'd say that KTM and Kawi court hard for his services.

Osbourne is likely to end up on a KTM is that doesn't happen.

AC to geico and McElrath takes his ride at Pro Circuit.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Craig end up over at Troy Lee or PC either.

RCH picks up Reed, Bogle will end up either at Kawi or Yamaha depending on how the top guys play out.
I'm pretty sure PC is going to have the same team as they do right now
cody331
7/24/2017 2:19pm
Does anybody know what Christian Craig's plans are after this year? Back down to the 250 or staying with the 450 until Roczen is confirmed back?
OT
Fantasy
3056th
7/24/2017 2:27pm
Tickle to Red Bull KTM
tcallahan707
7/24/2017 2:30pm
and to think, Suzuki won most of the 450 Nationals last year
Huss241 wrote:
Understandable. 1 Championship out of the last 14 series chances with sx and mx combined, better than Honda I suppose.
4 of the last 17 ain't too bad though.
TXDirt
7/24/2017 2:32pm
Davalos has been a surprise on the 450 outdoors. Wonder if he will get a ride?

I think Plessinger would be a good fit as a KTM rider and teammate with Marvin.
Snapper
7/24/2017 2:49pm
Webb to KTM would be a good fit although I think he's still under contract.

Anderson and Wilson are locked in for next year.

Reed to RCH would be a good fit with his testing ability.

I think JG will stay at Kawi.

Barcia to GP's would make or break him.

Mookie, I dunno, anyone know if he's stayed in shape in the hope of getting a fill in ride? KTM have had an open spot since Hangtown...

Craig is locked in for another year at Geico.

Davalos should definitely get a 450 ride next year.
BobPA
7/24/2017 2:59pm
If I were a 450 team I would want Plessinger
51xc
7/24/2017 3:17pm
is gajser coming to the US still a thing? because I don't really see where seely would fit in there if it happens.

barcia will stay at jgr I think. he got engaged with his girl, so I guess he will bring her over then.

ktm, well they should go very cheap for '18 so they throw all their cash at webb in '19. I'd like to see bloss at the factory team and training with marvin, anderson and co.

also, please, please someone give fast freddy noren a good ride! the guy kills it year after year outdoors out of a bloody van.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
7/24/2017 3:29pm
Is Osborne contracted through 2018? I'd assume he would be a big part of this conversation if not.
kiwifan
7/24/2017 3:29pm
51xc wrote:
is gajser coming to the US still a thing? because I don't really see where seely would fit in there if it happens. barcia will stay...
is gajser coming to the US still a thing? because I don't really see where seely would fit in there if it happens.

barcia will stay at jgr I think. he got engaged with his girl, so I guess he will bring her over then.

ktm, well they should go very cheap for '18 so they throw all their cash at webb in '19. I'd like to see bloss at the factory team and training with marvin, anderson and co.

also, please, please someone give fast freddy noren a good ride! the guy kills it year after year outdoors out of a bloody van.
Maybe Fast Freddy at MotoConcepts?
kkawboy14
7/24/2017 3:35pm
I'm gonna say next years riders could be coming from Canada and the rest of the World
Motofinne
7/24/2017 3:42pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2017 3:43pm
Falcon wrote:
Is Osborne contracted through 2018? I'd assume he would be a big part of this conversation if not.
He is contracted for 18 and he will stay down. I'm not a fan of this, yes the whole "defend the titles" is a thing but the guy is almost 30 years old. He should move up if the 250 class is supposed to be a steppingstone class. He is going to win both titles and he is staying down + the age factor. I do have to say that it will be fun to watch a guy like Matthes "tackle" this issue considering how much shit he has given Davalos through the years.

With that said i have zero problems with him racing 250s if everyone else also can race 250s. Remove the pointing out rule.

Post a reply to: Rider changes for 2018 Teams?

The Latest