Rider Down! Injuries sustained.

2/5/2017 6:33pm
My good friend Tommy Winn crashed today here in Florida after hitting false neutral on the jump face of a 80 ft peaked double. He landed head first, and his bike landed on his back causing him to sustain 4 broken vertebrae. He supports himself by working a full time job and loves this sport more than anything. His hospital bills will be piling up, along with everyday bills and expenses all while he wont be able to work. If you could find it in your heart to help no donation is too small. All will be appreciated. Also if you could share the campaign on social media that would be a huge help. He needs the help of the motocross family and community. Thank you! https://www.gofundme.com/9ac9v-fund-to-help-tommy-winns-recovery
|
tobz
2/5/2017 6:44pm
Sending good thoughts, hoping he has good income protection insurance that'll kick in soon?
2/5/2017 6:50pm
tobz wrote:
Sending good thoughts, hoping he has good income protection insurance that'll kick in soon?
Unfortunately no he does not. He works on bikes at a relatively new power sports shop. He's an MMI graduate also.
Joko
Fantasy
239th
2/5/2017 7:16pm
$ & prayers sent. Get well Tommy!
acres951
2/6/2017 7:15am
I hope things work out for your friend, sounds awful.

The Shop

2/6/2017 5:51pm

Tommy fractured his T4,5,6,and 7 vertebrae. Luckily he was able to avoid surgery and will be on heavy duty pain meds while resting and healing for a couple months. He was wearing a hard plastic chest protector, and you can see where the handle bars and front number plate impacted his upper back because the back of the chest protector looks like it was shot with a gun. We believe that chest protector spread the impact across his back, and possibly saved him from sustaining a spinal cord injury. Just another testament to the chest protector debate..
yzjs7
2/6/2017 5:54pm
Wow god bless him
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
2/6/2017 6:04pm
It's a good thing he was able to avoid a SCI but I doubt the chest protector did much to help with that situation. They are known as roost deflector for a reason. I always wore a hard plastic chest protector when I rode and had it on when I fractured my T-4, T-5 and T-6 vertebrates. Unfortunately for me I sustained a pinched spinal cord.

Personally I think he just got "lucky". Either way, I'm a big advocate on safety equipment.

It definitely sucks for your friend as I know that pain all too well but the good news is that he will fully recover.

Heal up young man!
tobz
2/6/2017 6:45pm
Thats good news! Maybe he can spend the couple of months off researching good income protection insurance and reccomending it to other that dont have it...
2/7/2017 10:52am
tobz wrote:
Thats good news! Maybe he can spend the couple of months off researching good income protection insurance and reccomending it to other that dont have it...
Brutal.

Hope he has a speedy recovery
Camp332
2/7/2017 11:08am
Good healing vibes to your friend, and make sure you inform him of the "side effects" of pain killers if he doesn't already know. Strong wishes!
rubarb
2/7/2017 1:13pm
eeek, broken back sounds brutal/painful. I'm always fearful of the neatral dealio when track riding.

Good luck with the broken back recovery.

Post a reply to: Rider Down! Injuries sustained.

The Latest