Ride/Race After Total Knee Replacement

captmoto
I had my right knee done last week, May 9th. I'll be 61 in a couple weeks. My doc believes in getting back to your normal life as soon as possible. I asked about riding dirtbikes. He said, "NO RUNNING", no falling on my knee. Hiking, deer hunting, side hilling on foot, "NO RUNNING", no falling on the knee. He basically said no restrictions and he could revise anything I could do to it.

So for the medical pros in particular and the group in general, what is the feeling on riding/racing after a TKR. I am new knee braces and interestingly, I pulled my groin on a front end washout and kind of feel like the knee braces contributed because my leg went sideways instead of maybe sweeping back. I track ride and race moto occasionally and have never had a major injury from racing. I never even wore knee braces until this year.
|
dimetime
5/18/2018 8:08pm Edited Date/Time 5/18/2018 8:11pm
I had double replacement in 2011 first the right then six months later the left. I rode in between right and left and about three months after the left was done. It's been all good ever since. I try to ride at least once a week.

I bodyslammed at Milestone in Jan and tore my tricep on my left arm and my rotator on my right shoulder and shattered my right pinkie but the the knees were fine.

And l've worn knee braces religiously since l tore my ACL in '87.

Enjoy being pain free in that knee and good luck.
racerx317
5/18/2018 8:12pm
I don’t think any doc will give you a blessing on that one. However, I have a buddy that has a knee replacement and does t have any problems riding. He’s pretty quick... jumps all the jumps, etc...
e-wa
5/18/2018 8:21pm
Got a friend that had his replaced at 68 and he is still riding at 73
sparker245
5/18/2018 10:23pm
Total knee replacement two years ago...I'm 62. Should have done it years earlier. Feels great. Ride 2-3 times per week with zero issues. Couldn't have done that prior to replacement. Let's face it, riding motocross with a fake knee probably isn't the smartest thing to do, but I don't plan on stopping anytime soon. Guess I'm not very smart. But I'm happy.

The Shop

sparker245
5/18/2018 10:39pm
Would add one final thought. Don't think I'd believe your doctor when he says that he could revise (repair) any damage done to the knee replacement. He could certainly repair or replace damaged parts of the artificial joint, but it's the bone attachment points that may or may not be repairable. From all the research I've done, and I've done a bunch, there are many examples of catastrophic injuries to knee replacements that have resulted in amputation. Don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but definitely consider the significant risks before making any decision about riding again. I know I did.

Post a reply to: Ride/Race After Total Knee Replacement

The Latest