Ricky Johnson on Tomac and the MXoN

IceMan446
8/17/2017 12:53pm
SCR wrote:
They did just as many races in the 80s. Probably more in a lot of cases when you can't off season races. They put in same...
They did just as many races in the 80s. Probably more in a lot of cases when you can't off season races. They put in same time and effort training and riding during the week.
Tracks were rougher, motos were 10 minutes longer and bikes were a lot harder to go fast on especially the 500s. I would like to see the reaction of todays top ten riders if we could get them to put in two 100% effort 45 min motos on 1985 500cc bikes at Unadilla as it was prepped in 1985 .

Id like to see the guys from back then try and ride a modern day supercross track. They'd shit their pants.

It makes no sense to try to compare the two different time periods.

8/17/2017 1:13pm
SCR wrote:
They did just as many races in the 80s. Probably more in a lot of cases when you can't off season races. They put in same...
They did just as many races in the 80s. Probably more in a lot of cases when you can't off season races. They put in same time and effort training and riding during the week.
Tracks were rougher, motos were 10 minutes longer and bikes were a lot harder to go fast on especially the 500s. I would like to see the reaction of todays top ten riders if we could get them to put in two 100% effort 45 min motos on 1985 500cc bikes at Unadilla as it was prepped in 1985 .

IceMan446 wrote:
Id like to see the guys from back then try and ride a modern day supercross track. They'd shit their pants. It makes no sense to...
Id like to see the guys from back then try and ride a modern day supercross track. They'd shit their pants.

It makes no sense to try to compare the two different time periods.

I'm pretty sure if the riders in the 80's had the equipment the current riders have, they would be riding them just the same as the guys now.
Robgvx
8/17/2017 1:57pm
I'm pretty sure if the riders in the 80's had the equipment the current riders have, they would be riding them just the same as the...
I'm pretty sure if the riders in the 80's had the equipment the current riders have, they would be riding them just the same as the guys now.
Some would say that 80s HRC riders pretty much did!
8/17/2017 2:24pm
The racing is alot different from the late 80's Rick. There is doubles in a rhythm section now that are bigger than the biggest jump on...
The racing is alot different from the late 80's Rick. There is doubles in a rhythm section now that are bigger than the biggest jump on a track in the 80's. No one cares what a vet from almost 40 years ago has to say.
davistld01 wrote:
14-years old, tops. Doesn't remember when Yamahas were yellow, or when KTM's sucked. Has bruises on tips of fingers from typing ignorant stuff on forums. I...
14-years old, tops. Doesn't remember when Yamahas were yellow, or when KTM's sucked. Has bruises on tips of fingers from typing ignorant stuff on forums.

I don't have to agree with all that RJ, Hannah, Bailey or anybody else from their era of professional racing have to say...but I totally respect them for the riders they were and (for the most part) still are. RJ has been there and done that, so he is well qualified to voice an opinion. I'm not a professional racer, and never was one...so my opinion (and the opinion of many here as well) doesn't mean squat, but at least Ricky's comes from a huge level of experience and knowledge.
peelout wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/08/17/210286/s1200_TapoutKid.jpg[/img]

Got me good with that meme from 2006 buddy. Yes you guys are right I'm sure modern guys would shit their pants seeing a sx track from the 80's with 30 foot doubles.....much more intimidating than say the Fly 150 jump at Hangtown. Uh huh.

The Shop

Post a reply to: Ricky Johnson on Tomac and the MXoN

The Latest